Playstation event February 20, 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 2272
Sony PlayStation fans, AVS is attending Sony's big event, "Playstation Meeting 2013". We all hope to witness the unveiling of the PS4. The event is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. EST on Wednesday February 20. New consoles don't come along very often, so this meeting is receiving a lot of media attention. There will be plenty of media coverage for video game fanatics, discussions centering around games titles and new controllers. That's not the angle we are interested in.

The PS4 has real potential to be a primary source for content streaming and playback in a home theater environment. We will discuss the PS4 from this perspective. We want to know if the PS4 is going to be a next-generation media server and Blu-ray player, building on the PS3's reputation as a best in class, all in one device. If that's your angle as well, the official thread will be a great place to discuss the PS4 as details emerge. Real-time updates will be contingent on connectivity; I will file updates as replies to the official thread.

Please join me here in the AVS industry news section for what we expect to be an exceptionally exciting evening for home theater buffs and gamers alike. I can't wait.

Mark Henninger - AVS Newsbreaker

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm all hyped up for this! Sony better deliver!
post #3 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 466
I will be an early adopter if it delivers smile.gif I'm excited

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornback View Post

I'm all hyped up for this! Sony better deliver!

How can it? They rushed it out before the UHD standards could be fleshed out. Unless Sony has been tipped by the BDA as to a final 4k Blu-ray spec. and whether or not they'll use higher capacity discs (requiring a new Blu-ray laser optical reader and spindle drive to be included), this may be a day late and a dollar short. There hasn't even been a finalized object-oriented soundtrack delivery method since Dolby and DTS are still scrabbling over that.

The PS4 will probably be a next step, not a revolutionary leap as the PR spin seems to put it.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

All it needs is a BDXL drive, the rest can come through firmware. With that one addition Sony future-proofs the PS4. I would not be surprised if PS4 games come on BDXL media. Sony already has a 4K projector and 4K TVs to hook a PS4 up to, what else do they need to work out? By the time 4K TV sets are selling at Best Buy, I'm sure the PS4 will fully support it. Nobody is installing 64 speakers in their home theater anytime soon, so even if Dolby Atmos is implemented it won't matter for the vast majority of users. I like to stay optimistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

How can it? They rushed it out before the UHD standards could be fleshed out. Unless Sony has been tipped by the BDA as to a final 4k Blu-ray spec. and whether or not they'll use higher capacity discs (requiring a new Blu-ray laser optical reader and spindle drive to be included), this may be a day late and a dollar short. There hasn't even been a finalized object-oriented soundtrack delivery method since Dolby and DTS are still scrabbling over that.

The PS4 will probably be a next step, not a revolutionary leap as the PR spin seems to put it.

post #6 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Can't wait!
post #7 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

All it needs is a BDXL drive, the rest can come through firmware. With that one addition Sony future-proofs the PS4. I would not be surprised if PS4 games come on BDXL media. Sony already has a 4K projector and 4K TVs to hook a PS4 up to, what else do they need to work out? By the time 4K TV sets are selling at Best Buy, I'm sure the PS4 will fully support it. Nobody is installing 64 speakers in their home theater anytime soon, so even if Dolby Atmos is implemented it won't matter for the vast majority of users. I like to stay optimistic.

If it doesn't include a next-gen Blu-ray optical drive and software upgradeable audio/video decoding and output, then you know the answer to whether or not the PS4 is the end-all, be-all UHD nerve center like they state. That should be one of the first questions asked at the press event.

There has not been a locked in specification for frame rates supported, bit depth, color depth, etc. for a unified UHD delivery method using H.265. That requires an HDMI chip set that will allow for HFR, 10 bit or greater video streams, open support for Dolby Atmos or DTS MDA etc. etc. etc.

At the CES there were demos for at least DTS's Multi-Dimensional Audio object-oriented soundtrack system (devised with SRS, which they bought). I'm sure an at-home object-oriented codec would be a scaled down version of the 64 speaker cinema experience. One thing both Atmos and MDA call for are height channels to create x-y-z panning plot points for the mixing engineer and the final decoder. Both also recommend extra screen speakers like Dolby Prologic IIz and DTS Neo X for a wider front sound stage and separate subwoofer outputs for the surround channels. So, that would be 11.2 right there (two more speakers up front, another sub effects channel, and at least two voice-of-God speakers along with the current 7.1 layout).

These are scalable systems... the more speakers you have, the more accurate the sound field placement. This may be where receiver and pre-amp manufacturers would base the amount of speaker outputs available on the model purchased by the consumer. The Atmos or MDA controller would map the soundtrack accordingly.

However, the HDMI chipset would have to allow for them (they're usually hard coded, and not firmware upgradeable, which is a stupid oversight). I don't think the HDMI committee had final UHD or object-oriented soundtrack specs. available when they made their chipset recommendations. This was a problem with the PS3 as well where the initial "fat" versions had implemented outdated HDMI chipsets that limited their functionality. Even the PS3 "slim" versions had issues with 3D and audio bitstreaming, that regular Blu-ray players did not.
Joe Bloggs likes this.

post #8 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Sony did the same exact thing with the PS3 and so did Microsoft. If Sony says it will 4K it will have 4K all you need is BDXL and use firmware to work on it.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #9 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as it does 4k and would be able to go MDA either built in or via update I'd be happy.
post #10 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

As long as it does 4k and would be able to go MDA either built in or via update I'd be happy.

The PS4 would have to bitstream either Dolby Atmos or DTS MDA to work properly.

The outboard surround processor from a receiver or pre-amp would look at the specific bitstream data and take the allocated discrete channel bed and sound effects "objects" (controlled via panning metadata created at the time of the original sound mixing sessions) and process them in real-time. The specific panned effects from these individual "objects" are calculated and derived from how many speakers are attached and where you've located them within the room. Those formats do not work like traditional channel-based-only compression codecs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio lossless that can be de-compressed back to PCM (those older codecs are just "Zip"-like audio containers).

post #11 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I still have (and currently use) my launch PS3 in my HT room. I will probably buy one of these too and I can't wait to hear what the new machine can do.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #12 of 100 Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM

Liked: 33
If at all possible, please find out if PS3 peripherals will work on the PS4 (bluetooth/IR adapters, controllers, remote, move controllers, nav controllers, etc). That would be great, and quite possibly not covered by the general media.

post #13 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

Sony did the same exact thing with the PS3 and so did Microsoft. If Sony says it will 4K it will have 4K all you need is BDXL and use firmware to work on it.

I've been following the rumor mill pretty closely with PS4. The latest rumors say the BD drive will read the 50GB discs (BDXL), with a read speed increase to 6x. Combine that with the rumored high bandwidth of the system overall and 4K/UHD shouldn't be a problem. IF the rumors hold true. BTW, I like the term 4K better than UHD, just rolls out easier smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

If at all possible, please find out if PS3 peripherals will work on the PS4 (bluetooth/IR adapters, controllers, remote, move controllers, nav controllers, etc). That would be great, and quite possibly not covered by the general media.

Rumor says that PS3 controllers will be forward compatible, so would probably cover the remote as well. Confirmation would be great if Sony forgets to mention it.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #14 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The rumored computer inside is low end for gaming. So unless it's 4K, I don't see how this will be much of an upgrade. I just finally went from a Phenom X4 965 with a GTX 460 to a Intel 3570K and Radeon 7950 in my home computer. It's amazing how many DX11 effects were missing on the 460. I am usually an early adopter, I have 2 PS3s and 2 360s currenlty, but right now I have heard nothing about the PS4 or 720 that make me say, gotta have it.

I am still debating on building a Media Server and ripping my 250+ Blu Rays, but I can't find anything that rips them perfect. I like the MKV format, but even XBMC ver 12 has been a no go at play back, or else it's the Radeon. Can people share what they think will be exciting about this as a media center over a PS3 if it doesn't do 4K?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
post #15 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Multi-tasking, for one thing. With the PS3 you have to quit out of apps to switch between them, when you should be able to just flip between them like channels. Sony makes Android tablets, there's a chance we'll see a remote-control app and some sort of second-screen functionality. The PS vita could also be drafted into that role. What makes you think 4K won't appear on the PS4? Nvidia already has 4K video playing from a handheld device and Sony already has 4K receivers, TV sets and even a 4K projector. Why on Earth would they leave it out of their most important product? The chances are slim.

I do agree that if the PS4 was (inexplicably) incapable of 4K output, the PS3 would retain a lot more appeal as an all-in-one solution. It's smaller, cheaper and more efficient than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

The rumored computer inside is low end for gaming. So unless it's 4K, I don't see how this will be much of an upgrade. I just finally went from a Phenom X4 965 with a GTX 460 to a Intel 3570K and Radeon 7950 in my home computer. It's amazing how many DX11 effects were missing on the 460. I am usually an early adopter, I have 2 PS3s and 2 360s currenlty, but right now I have heard nothing about the PS4 or 720 that make me say, gotta have it.

I am still debating on building a Media Server and ripping my 250+ Blu Rays, but I can't find anything that rips them perfect. I like the MKV format, but even XBMC ver 12 has been a no go at play back, or else it's the Radeon. Can people share what they think will be exciting about this as a media center over a PS3 if it doesn't do 4K?

post #16 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I've been following the rumor mill pretty closely with PS4. The latest rumors say the BD drive will read the 50GB discs (BDXL), with a read speed increase to 6x. Combine that with the rumored high bandwidth of the system overall and 4K/UHD shouldn't be a problem. IF the rumors hold true. BTW, I like the term 4K better than UHD, just rolls out easier smile.gif
Rumor says that PS3 controllers will be forward compatible, so would probably cover the remote as well. Confirmation would be great if Sony forgets to mention it.

You do mean 150 GB bdxl discs, don't you?? 50 GB is a normal Blu-ray.

post #17 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

You do mean 150 GB bdxl discs, don't you?? 50 GB is a normal Blu-ray.

My mistake. More research shows that any BD that has three layers or more requires a different design of player to function. A few rumor mills put that cart before the horse and I went along for the ride.

Then again, now would be the time to announce 150GB discs as standard for PS4.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #18 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

My mistake. More research shows that any BD that has three layers or more requires a different design of player to function. A few rumor mills put that cart before the horse and I went along for the ride.

Then again, now would be the time to announce 150GB discs as standard for PS4.

The last I heard, a quad-layer BDXL was 128 GB. However, these pre-recorded discs would have to be stamped versions, not write-once data discs, so I don't know the exact capacity of a stamped version of BDXL. TDK also discussed developing a 250 GB disc too.

There's a way to do excellent 10 bit UHD + object-oriented lossless audio on higher capacity discs, if there's a will. The will part, I'm worried about.

post #19 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:

The last I heard, a quad-layer BDXL was 128 GB. However, these pre-recorded discs would have to be stamped versions, not write-once data discs, so I don't know the exact capacity of a stamped version of BDXL. TDK also discussed developing a 250 GB disc too.

There's a way to do excellent 10 bit UHD + object-oriented lossless audio on higher capacity discs, if there's a will. The will part, I'm worried about.

As far as I know, BDXL is a recordable format only; there is no ROM (stamped) version of it. I suspect the Blu-ray Disc Association is working on a higher-capacity ROM spec, but it's certainly not available at this time.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #20 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Can't wait!

biggrin.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
post #21 of 100 Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The first ever blu ray disc's ever to market were recordable 23gb disc's then 50gb, so there is precedent of having recordable disc's before stamp versions. I assume in R&D you would have to have a working stamped version before a recordable one.
post #22 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 49
It doesn't have to be amazing or the end all be all of consoles, just better than the last one. The PS3, to me, was a massive failure as a gaming console.

Boom
post #23 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Liked: 15
There is no way that this going to support UHD/4k. It just is not going to happen. By the time 4k/UHD sets are down in price to where the average joe can afford or care about them the PS5 will be out.
post #24 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 View Post

There is no way that this going to support UHD/4k. It just is not going to happen. By the time 4k/UHD sets are down in price to where the average joe can afford or care about them the PS5 will be out.

That's my sad theory too. Even a Sony exec said the PS4 may not be the ultimate delivery method for 4k. They probably are cheapening out on their consoles now due to the fact they lost so much on the PS3 with its expensive parts (you'd think a proto-type BDXL drive that can read stamped media would be pricey right now). Unless it was a fake out to lower expectations and then surprise Microsoft with a one-two sucker punch. Hard to say in business-land these days.

post #25 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Perhaps you recall, just a few weeks before tomorrow's meeting was first announced, Sony claimed they were going to wait for MS to announce first.
Quote:

That's my sad theory too. Even a Sony exec said the PS4 may not be the ultimate delivery method for 4k. They probably are cheapening out on their consoles now due to the fact they lost so much on the PS3 with its expensive parts (you'd think a proto-type BDXL drive that can read stamped media would be pricey right now). Unless it was a fake out to lower expectations and then surprise Microsoft with a one-two sucker punch. Hard to say in business-land these days.

post #26 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 View Post

Any meaningful explanation or just another statement pulled out of someone's bottom part?

50GB BD can easily support UHD, period.
post #27 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:

Perhaps you recall, just a few weeks before tomorrow's meeting was first announced, Sony claimed they were going to wait for MS to announce first.

SO are you in town already, imagic, or just coming tomorrow? smile.gif I might go to the event, provided I can get out of my office in time...
post #28 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

I am in Philly so I am hopping on Amtrak tomorrow a.m., I will be there by lunchtime to pre-register. I'll be wearing an AVS forum T-Shirt and sporting a silver NEX-5R with a cool hand grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

SO are you in town already, imagic, or just coming tomorrow? smile.gif I might go to the event, provided I can get out of my office in time...

post #29 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Any meaningful explanation or just another statement pulled out of someone's bottom part?

50GB BD can easily support UHD, period.

It can, but barely, and probably only if they stick with 8 bit video and no state-of-the-art audio track. I'd rather they put in a BDXL (stamped version readable) drive so they have some cushion to add higher frame rates, greater bit depth, better audio, etc. etc.

post #30 of 100 Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It can, but barely, and probably only if they stick with 8 bit video and no state-of-the-art audio track. I'd rather they put in a BDXL (stamped version readable) drive so they have some cushion to add higher frame rates, greater bit depth, better audio, etc. etc.
+1
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page