Sony STR-DA5800ES A/V Receiver features Control4 Home Automation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
Sony's new flagship receiver is the STR-DA5800ES. What the engineers responsible for the ES line have created is a high-end AVR capable of putting the user in full control of their home theater and more. Features include 9.2 audio with 130 watts per channel, 4K pass-through and quite possibly the coolest feature of all, integration of home automation. When it comes to enjoying a complete home theater experience, this new receiver doesn't just play the movie; with the right scene and proper integration with a Control4 home automation system, the DS5800ES can close the blinds, dim the lights, set the volume, turn on the projector and then play the movie.

Sony is not new to the A/V receiver game, having have produced high-end gear under the ES (Elevated Standard) moniker for several decades. Sony is no longer the all-powerful consumer electronics giant it was when they launched the ES component line. Today Sony is a bit on an underdog, an engineering-centric company with a taste for high design and high concept, but without the cachet they once enjoyed as a designers of the very best gear. My first audiophile-quality CD player was Sony's landmark CDP-X7ESD, a perfect example of the level of excellence ES stood for: World class, no compromise performance.

Fast forward (or perhaps skip forward) to 2013 and Sony is at a crossroads. The PS4 is an announced product and it will feature 4K downloadable movies. 4K television is the one category where they are ahead of the competition, in terms of putting actual TV sets into stores and showrooms. Sony already sells the world's first 4K projector for home theaters, the VPL-VW1000ES. The Sony ES lineup now includes newly designed speakers and receivers. It certainly looks like Sony is making a move to re-establish high-end A/V credentials.

Key to this strategy is the nerve center; Sony needed an AVR with a feature that sets it apart from very stiff competition. Based on initial reviews, they have succeeded with the STR-DS5800ES A/V Receiver.

Quote:
the 5800ES is the first A/V receiver to incorporate certification for Control4 home automation, including lighting (via a supplied wireless lighting-control adapter), that can be integrated into an extensive scene-recall scheme named Easy Automation. This can store virtually every user-definable parameter to one of four pre-programmed, but editable, scenes, accessible whether or not Control4 is implemented - source: soundandvisionmag.com

Specifications from Sony's web site are here.
802Diamond likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is one sweet receiver, unthinkable just a few years ago. It also weighs a substantial 49+ pounds. I didn't see any room correction technology-I am not sure if I missed it.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

That is one sweet receiver, unthinkable just a few years ago. It also weighs a substantial 49+ pounds. I didn't see any room correction technology-I am not sure if I missed it.

It does feature room correction, but it uses Sony's proprietary system called "Digital Cinema Audio Calibration EX", which will surely disappoint Audyssey fans. I have no issue with Sony's room correction, even though it is not as sophisticated as competitors' offerings.

"Simply place the included microphone at your listening position, start auto-calibration, and the receiver will correct for speaker distance, degree, characteristic, and phase to create an acoustically ideal environment."

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks for that note. I missed it. However, I have come to admire audyssey. I had a Yamaha with its YPAO and in my room it didn't do much. Now I have Denon 3312Ci, which made an audible(in a pleasant way) difference in two of my rooms. I have no idea how good the Sony's version of room calibration is.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Now thats one reciever I could be very happy with. I may have to take a look at it since I am in the hunt for a new AVR. Nice work Sony.

biggrin.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just ordered one, also a new OPPO 105 , 55' 4K SONY TV. 4K PLAYER, AND A PANAMAX M7500-PRO , ALL'S IN 

EXCEPT THE RECEIVER, STR-5800ES. WILL HAVE FUN PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER, JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT

SPEAKERS TO MATCH UP.  ANY IDEAS.:) 

post #7 of 9 Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Each one replying to this will have an idea. But, in reality just about any speakers should work with it as it is a powerful receiver. Have fun auditioning. Even for people to recommend something you have to come up with a budget.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336

Sony STR-DA5800ES A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures

HT Labs Measures

- Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 128.5 watts
1% distortion at 171.4 watts

- Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 110.3 watts
1% distortion at 134.7 watts

- Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 98.5 watts
1% distortion at 118.7 watts

Ok does anyone knows the rating at 4 Ohm

My humble Cinema
post #9 of 9 Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336

Interesting specs?

130W at 4 Ohm and at 8 Ohms

1. Is the amplifier that is in the Sony 5800ES a Class A/B amplifier?

2. The manual on page 141 is shows the same power at 8 Ohms and at 4 Ohms how is that possible?

My humble Cinema
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page