post #241 of 244 Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

You've kind of proved my point. Steam has great pricing because you can buy Steam keys at other stores. Do you actually think that Valve would heavily discount product if they were the only place to buy it? Just look at the the stores run by the console manufacturers for what would happen. The current situation with pc games is completely different from video rental/purchases. There is no real competition in the video market because it is a monopoly run by the content owners. Discs are cheaper than dl's because of that competition.
It's not that complicated. The studios tell the dl services what to charge for the content, otherwise they can't sell it. There are laws in place that prevent that from happening to the vast majority of physical products. That's why we do need physical 4K/UHD discs. To try to keep the content owners semi-honest at least.

Yes I do think they would. They don't discount to be our friend, they discount as there stats show that increases revenue significantly when done as they currently do (prices are set by the publisher btw, steam just urges them to have such sales as it results in a whole lot more income).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 244 Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So expect PS4 and XBOX. I can't wait.....
post #243 of 244 Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

^This. My Blu Rays are sitting safe in their pretty little cases on my bookshelf. What about when I pay for a download and then, oops, my hard drive dies? I suppose if it remembers the purchase and you can re-download it...but still. I'll be right back, though - I'm gonna go invest in a few of my local ISPs. They're gonna make a killing when they decide to remove the cap and just charge based on how much you download.

What if oops, your house is robbed, or oops, your house burns down. Then your physical media is Gone-Zo! At least digital media is re-downloadable from the cloud should something happen. Physical isn't always better.

Blu-Ray - 1028
HD DVD - 57
SD DVD - 1159
I Do Blu.
Own It. Now. NEXTEL. Done.|

post #244 of 244 Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by codee View Post

What if oops, your house is robbed, or oops, your house burns down. Then your physical media is Gone-Zo! At least digital media is re-downloadable from the cloud should something happen. Physical isn't always better.

Agreed there are pros and cons to both, people who pretend otherwise are simply fooling themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page