Pioneer Introduces First Batch of AV Receivers for 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1180

Today, Pioneer Electronics introduced its first batch of AV receivers for 2013. All four models are in the Pioneer line using class-AB amplification; the new Elite AVRs, some of which use class-D amps, will be announced over the next few months.

Starting at the most affordable end of the line, the VSX-523 ($250) offers 5.1 operation with an honest 80 watts/channel (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 8 ohms) and the features expected in all AVRs today—Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding as well as all the lossy codecs, automatic room correction (using Pioneer's MCACC), 3D compatibility, and four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC).

Like all the new AVRs, this one provides HDMI standby passthrough, which lets you use an HDMI source, such as a Blu-ray player or cable box, and TV without having to turn on the AVR. You can even select the source with the receiver's remote. New this year is 4K passthrough (at 24 and 30 fps) and DSD bitstream playback from SACDs via HDMI.

In addition, the 523 is certified "Made for iPod, iPhone, iPad" via the front-panel USB port. However, it cannot charge a full-size iPad, which requires more current than the 523's USB port can deliver. Also, this entry-level AVR has no networking capabilities, so no AirPlay or DLNA.

Next up the food chain is the VSX-823 ($400), which offers the same power rating and features (with six HDMI inputs instead of four and the ability to charge a full-size iPad) and adds wired and wireless networking, including AirPlay and DLNA as well as Bluetooth (with an optional adaptor) and HTC Connect, which lets you play audio wirelessly from Android devices. Music-file playback via LAN and USB includes AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless, FLAC, MP3, WMA, and AAC. Even better, it can play AIFF, WAV, and FLAC files at up to 192kHz/24-bit resolution, and all lossless formats can be played with no gaps between tracks, which is especially helpful with concert recordings.

Also new this year is an MHL 2.0 input on the front panel (which counts as one of the AVR's six HDMI inputs). This allows audio/video playback from Android devices at up to 1080p/60 with 3D as well as faster battery charging with 1 amp of current. (MHL 1.0 supports up to 1080p/30 with no 3D and only half an amp of charging current.) The 823 is not certified by Roku, but Pioneer maintains that the Roku streaming stick works just fine plugged into the MHL input.

Finally, the 823 can be controlled with Pioneer's ControlApp for iOS and Android devices. In addition, this app consolidates all media sources on the network and can push that content to the AVR without having to use the devices' native apps, making things much simpler. Even better, up to four instances of the app can be running simultaneously.

The VSX-1023 ($500) provides 7.1 channels with all the features of the 823. If you have a 5.1 speaker system, you can use the extra two channels of amplification to power speakers in a remote zone or bi-amp the front left and right speakers in the main zone. Even better, you can select independent sources for the two zones.

Perhaps most exciting is the VSX-1123 ($600). The power output is bumped up to an honest 90W/channel in this 7.2-channel AVR, which provides eight HDMI inputs (including one MHL on the front) and two independent HDMI outputs, one of which can be assigned to the main zone or a second zone. In fact, the 1123 can accommodate up to three zones—the main 5.1 zone, two speakers in a second zone, and HDMI to a third zone, and all can have independently selected sources. (Of course, you'll need some sort of extender or balun system to run HDMI to a distant zone.)

In addition to 4K passthrough, the 1123 offers 4K upscaling with the Marvell Qdeo video processor. On the audio side of things, this AVR provides DTS Neo:X, which expands soundtracks to 11.1 channels using Pioneer's Virtual Speaker technology. And in addition to playing DSD bitstreams from SACD via HDMI, the 1123 can also play DSD files directly from a USB memory device.

The 1123 implements an advanced version of MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration), Pioneer's proprietary room-correction system. Advanced MCACC employs a 3D calibration method that adds the time axis to level and frequency, resulting in more precise measurements. Other enhancements include speaker polarity check and a graphic display of the before/after results that can be saved on a PC.

Available only for the 1123 (and, presumably, for the upcoming Elite models as well) is the AVNavigator app for Mac, Windows, and iOS. It provides a setup wizard and fully interactive user manual—when you click on a keyword, the corresponding control is activated in the AVR, and when you activate a control on the AVR's remote or front panel, the manual jumps to the corresponding page.

The VSX-523 and 823 are available now, while the 1023 and 1123 will be available in a couple of weeks.

Fam Money and steve1971 like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Today, Pioneer Electronics introduced its first batch of AV receivers for 2013. All four models are in the Pioneer line using class-AB amplification; the new Elite AVRs, some of which use class-D amps, will be announced over the next few months.

Starting at the most affordable end of the line, the VSX-523 ($250) offers 5.1 operation with an honest 80 watts/channel (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 8 ohms) and the features expected in all AVRs today—Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding as well as all the lossy codecs, automatic room correction (using Pioneer's MCACC), 3D compatibility, and four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC).

Like all the new AVRs, this one provides HDMI standby passthrough, which lets you use an HDMI source, such as a Blu-ray player or cable box, and TV without having to turn on the AVR. You can even select the source with the receiver's remote. New this year is 4K passthrough (at 24 and 30 fps) and DSD bitstream playback from SACDs via HDMI.

In addition, the 523 is certified "Made for iPod, iPhone, iPad" via the front-panel USB port. However, it cannot charge a full-size iPad, which requires more current than the 523's USB port can deliver. Also, this entry-level AVR has no networking capabilities, so no AirPlay or DLNA.

Next up the food chain is the VSX-823 ($400), which offers the same power rating and features (with six HDMI inputs instead of four and the ability to charge a full-size iPad) and adds wired and wireless networking, including AirPlay and DLNA as well as Bluetooth (with an optional adaptor) and HTC Connect, which lets you play audio wirelessly from Android devices. Music-file playback via LAN and USB includes AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless, FLAC, MP3, WMA, and AAC. Even better, it can play AIFF, WAV, and FLAC files at up to 192kHz/24-bit resolution, and all lossless formats can be played with no gaps between tracks, which is especially helpful with concert recordings.

Also new this year is an MHL 2.0 input on the front panel (which counts as one of the AVR's six HDMI inputs). This allows audio/video playback from Android devices at up to 1080p/60 with 3D as well as faster battery charging with 1 amp of current. (MHL 1.0 supports up to 1080p/30 with no 3D and only half an amp of charging current.) The 823 is not certified by Roku, but Pioneer maintains that the Roku streaming stick works just fine plugged into the MHL input.

Finally, the 823 can be controlled with Pioneer's ControlApp for iOS and Android devices. In addition, this app consolidates all media sources on the network and can push that content to the AVR without having to use the devices' native apps, making things much simpler. Even better, up to four instances of the app can be running simultaneously.

The VSX-1023 ($500) provides 7.1 channels with all the features of the 823. If you have a 5.1 speaker system, you can use the extra two channels of amplification to power speakers in a remote zone or bi-amp the front left and right speakers in the main zone. Even better, you can select independent sources for the two zones.

Perhaps most exciting is the VSX-1123 ($600). The power output is bumped up to an honest 90W/channel in this 7.2-channel AVR, which provides eight HDMI inputs (including one MHL on the front) and two independent HDMI outputs, one of which can be assigned to the main zone or a second zone. In fact, the 1123 can accommodate up to three zones—the main 5.1 zone, two speakers in a second zone, and HDMI to a third zone, and all can have independently selected sources. (Of course, you'll need some sort of extender or balun system to run HDMI to a distant zone.)

In addition to 4K passthrough, the 1123 offers 4K upscaling with the Marvell Qdeo video processor. On the audio side of things, this AVR provides DTS Neo:X, which expands soundtracks to 11.1 channels using Pioneer's Virtual Speaker technology. And in addition to playing DSD bitstreams from SACD via HDMI, the 1123 can also play DSD files directly from a USB memory device.

The 1123 implements an advanced version of MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration), Pioneer's proprietary room-correction system. Advanced MCACC employs a 3D calibration method that adds the time axis to level and frequency, resulting in more precise measurements. Other enhancements include speaker polarity check and a graphic display of the before/after results that can be saved on a PC.

Available only for the 1123 (and, presumably, for the upcoming Elite models as well) is the AVNavigator app for Mac, Windows, and iOS. It provides a setup wizard and fully interactive user manual—when you click on a keyword, the corresponding control is activated in the AVR, and when you activate a control on the AVR's remote or front panel, the manual jumps to the corresponding page.

The VSX-523 and 823 are available now, while the 1023 and 1123 will be available in a couple of weeks.
we started a tread on this ..already scott..

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #3 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So, the new 1123 has all the digital features of the 1522 but with the old class AB amplifier.

With all this step down in price regarding the feature availability, then the future new SC1223 should be like the current SC1522, isn´t it?

Regards

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
post #4 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

Where? I'd like to know more but found nothing in the AVR/PREPRO sub forum.

EDIT: never mind, found it...was buried: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456859/pioneer-receivers-2013-vsx-523-823-1023-1123-elite-vsx-70

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #5 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Where? I'd like to know more but found nothing in the AVR/PREPRO sub forum.

EDIT: never mind, found it...was buried: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456859/pioneer-receivers-2013-vsx-523-823-1023-1123-elite-vsx-70

ames
Pioneer receivers 2013 - VSX-523 / 823 / 1023 / 1123 -- Elite VSX-70 ...its here

post #6 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I wonder if there AB class receivers will suffer the same as the 2012 models.
I had the Vsx 1122-k and the hdmi ports were all piss poorly soldered and caused audio and video to cut out periodically.

post #7 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was afraid of that. Where is the other thread? This info was under embargo until 9 AM PT today, which is why I posted it then, and I didn't see another post about it in Latest Industry News...

Ah, I see it now. It was posted 3 weeks ago! Where did the info come from? Pioneer's official position was to embargo it until today. Just curious...

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was afraid of that. Where is the other thread? This info was under embargo until 9 AM PT today, which is why I posted it then, and I didn't see another post about it in Latest Industry News...

Ah, I see it now. It was posted 3 weeks ago! Where did the info come from? Pioneer's official position was to embargo it until today. Just curious...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456859/pioneer-receivers-2013-vsx-523-823-1023-1123-elite-vsx-70

post #9 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

I had the Vsx 1122-k and the hdmi ports were all piss poorly soldered and caused audio and video to cut out periodically.

I was thinking of getting one to replace my old Elite ( VSX-53tx) receiver, but after reading some of the issues with 1122 and earlier models, I decided not to buy anything...not sure if the Elites have the same issue. One other issue that I have, and appears to be on the Elite and non-Elite models, is that the receiver doesn't always wake up the sub-woofer when there is .1 source. I thought my sunfire sub-woofer was the issue until I started reading the reviews of the new models.
post #10 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post

I was thinking of getting one to replace my old Elite ( VSX-53tx) receiver, but after reading some of the issues with 1122 and earlier models, I decided not to buy anything...not sure if the Elites have the same issue. One other issue that I have, and appears to be on the Elite and non-Elite models, is that the receiver doesn't always wake up the sub-woofer when there is .1 source. I thought my sunfire sub-woofer was the issue until I started reading the reviews of the new models.
am not sure what you mean by "wake up the sub-woofer ....:

post #11 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Scott Pioneer has been good to me so far.

Got the VSX-519V model back in 2010 at Best Buy as a open box sale for $ 149 and of course I asked the sales person to guarantee it as new and I could not be more of a happy camper. biggrin.gif.
It's 5.1 HD Audio and 100 watts per channel.
While I was searching for a audio/video receiver I read that Pioneer has one of the lowest THD around.
post #12 of 61 Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Unless my Onkyo 805 conks out on me soon (come on, baby, hold it together!!), I think I'll wait until there's a clearer idea of when object-oriented decoding and the full UHD and HDMI specs will be released before making another major decoder purchase.

Thanks for the info, though, Scott.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #13 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That's no good, I thought we had unanimously defeated the receiver's that forget to wake sub woofers up...I know it seems obvious, but you could either use a 12V trigger , run it to a powered switching device (like the receiver), or just leave it on.
post #14 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

What is great too. I love the beginning. VSX920 it.
post #15 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post

Don't be too quick to blame the Pioneers. The standby switch in the Sunfire subs are a common problem. I have a Sunfire Signature Sub the 13" model. It had that problem. Wouldn't come on until the volume was turned up really high. No one wants to work on them. The schematics for those were never released. Bob Carver closed his repair shop several months ago. I found a shop and had mine modified to stay on all the time. Works great. Those digital amps only use 12 watts when they're not being driven. Here's an interesting thread. http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/618938.html

(Sorry for being off topic guys. Thought it might help csmith)
csmith likes this.
post #16 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

am not sure what you mean by "wake up the sub-woofer ....:

My sub goes into sleep/standby mode when no LFE signal is being sent and wakes up when it senses a signal... For example, watching MeTv, then switching to another channel, like a movie channel (HBO, etc.) and even switching to a Blu-ray. Sometimes it works immediately to 5-20mins later or I force it my turning off/on the receiver. Someone mentioned the same issue with their new Pio receiver, I think it was on Amazon...in which he returned it for a different brand.
post #17 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My sub goes into sleep/standby mode when no LFE signal is being sent and wakes up when it senses a signal... For example, watching MeTv, then switching to another channel, like a movie channel (HBO, etc.) and even switching to a Blu-ray. Sometimes it works immediately to 5-20mins later or I force it my turning off/on the receiver. Someone mentioned the same issue with their new Pio receiver, I think it was on Amazon...in which he returned it for a different brand.

I have always had the same issue with my Pioneer. Decided to stop messing with it and leave the sub on all the time. Is a sorry resolution but I never found an alternative.
post #18 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found out from Pioneer that one of its dealers posted the info about these AVRs on its website weeks ago, even though they had signed a non-disclosure agreement to keep it under wraps until this past Monday. Pioneer knew nothing about it until now. And of course, AVS members will find any home-theater news that appears online and repost it here.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #19 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I found out from Pioneer that one of its dealers posted the info about these AVRs on its website weeks ago, even though they had signed a non-disclosure agreement to keep it under wraps until this past Monday. Pioneer knew nothing about it until now. And of course, AVS members will find any home-theater news that appears online and repost it here.
yep ...yes scott we can sniff out a drop of AV blood ...in an ocean of tech..lol...like great white sharks...

post #20 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM

I'm looking for a Pioneer receiver that can play flac or wma surround files over network. All I can find is two channel network playback. Is there a reason this would be difficult or they just don't think there is a demand for it? I currently have to use JRiver Media Center on HTPC to play multi-channel files.

John
post #21 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Maybe from Canadian source. I've received this info 3 weeks ago without embargo, but because it doesn't include Elite line, I don't bother posting it on the publications I work for.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #22 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yep ...yes scott we can sniff out a drop of AV blood ...in an ocean of tech..lol...like great white sharks...

LOL! Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking...wink.gif

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #23 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Maybe from Canadian source. I've received this info 3 weeks ago without embargo, but because it doesn't include Elite line, I don't bother posting it on the publications I work for.

Good to know, thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #24 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I am looking for a new AVR and I have always liked Pioneer so I may took at look at these. smile.gif

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #25 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I am looking for a new AVR and I have always liked Pioneer so I may took at look at these. smile.gif

I think the 1123 looks especially interesting, but if possible, I'd wait until I could read a couple of reviews.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #26 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

That is really disconcerting to hear. I've owned several Pioneer models through the years, and they have always been rock solid and they last for a very long time. Toyota Camrys used to be the best, and now I wouldn't own one. I hope your experience is the exception.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #27 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

That is really disconcerting to hear. I've owned several Pioneer models through the years, and they have always been rock solid and they last for a very long time. Toyota Camrys used to be the best, and now I wouldn't own one. I hope your experience is the exception.

Floyd
who knows maybe ...it's his experience ..but like you i to have been buying pioneer products..for years ..mainly ELITE..and they have always been rock solid proforma's ..time after time.
i currently own pioneer's AVR..3D SACD.PLAYER..BLURAY..AND A KURO ...I can also say that i have own many brands to ...eg DENNON..ONKYO.ect but i have to keep coming back to that excellent Sound and Picture Quality of pioneer products... not that they are without fault..(show me a manufacture that does not have and issue or two...) i am looking forward to the new Elite AVR'S when they arrive later this year...am ready for and upgrade ..to my current avr...

post #28 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:

who knows maybe ...it's his experience ..but like you i to have been buying pioneer products..for years ..mainly ELITE..and they have always been rock solid proforma's ..time after time.
i currently own pioneer's AVR..3D SACD.PLAYER..BLURAY..AND A KURO ...I can also say that i have own many brands to ...eg DENNON..ONKYO.ect but i have to keep coming back to that excellent Sound and Picture Quality of pioneer products... not that they are without fault..(show me a manufacture that does not have and issue or two...) i am looking forward to the new Elite AVR'S when they arrive later this year...am ready for and upgrade ..to my current avr...

I'm thinking the very same thing. I'm in new toy withdrawal.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #29 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
How has Advanced MCACC progressed over the years ? My last pioneer at the time was a 2009 919-ah-k model. I liked the interface, being able to leave it on auto surround etc, however I've since moved the the Audyssey XT32 setup and while I don't like certain things about the Onkyo, the calibration works better, as well as the amp section is more stout (My onkyo 818 weighs in over 40lbs)

I've always wanted to try a Pioneer Elite receiver, but the lack of Subwoofer EQ etc has kept me from going back. Have they bothered to implement anything like this yet ?
post #30 of 61 Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MCACC progressed over the years ?.......

No... real in-dept exploitation from pioneer yet of what the new features AD-MCACC can do yet ..but i do expect..some from of bass management ...will be coming.. but i dont think that the lack of BM..is a big deal breaker ...to be honest bass management in totality..is not for everyone ..what i mean.. is its more geared for multiple subs...many like myself dont have the room nor the means for multiple subwoofer's..
and what comes. with MCACC is quite sufficient ..but again thats IMO....

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 523 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 823 K , Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1023 K , Pioneer Vsx 1122 K , Pioneer Vsx 1122 K 630w 7 Channel A V Receiver Network Ready Pandora Ipod Iphone
Gear in this thread - 630w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page