Denon Introduces New E-Series AVRs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

It’s that time of year where AVR manufacturers release their new line-up of AV receivers. Denon has released a new entry level series called the E-Series which boasts a lot of features at an affordable price.

In the line-up we begin with the AVR-E400 ($599), a 7.1 system that can also be used as a 5.1 with the two extra channels being used as a second audio-only zone. It offers 90 watts on all 7 channels (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm). The E400 includes 6 HDMI inputs and can upscale to 4K. It includes features such as AirPlay, Pandora, SiriusXM, vTuner, Spotify and Flickr.

The next in the series is the AVR-E300 ($399), a 5.1 receiver with 5 HDMI inputs and 75watts for each channel (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm).

We finish off with the $250 AVR-E200, also a 5.1 unit with 4 HDMI inputs and delivers 75 watts per channel (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm). The receiver offers 4 Quick Select buttons on both the front panel of the unit and the remote control to instantly be able to choose between 4 sources. The E200 isn’t fully equipped in terms of features as the other two above, but for anyone on a tight budget willing to sacrifice some of the streaming features, this makes a great starter receiver.

All the E-Series receivers include Denon power amp circuitry for high power, wide dynamic range and low distortion. They also share HDMI Standby Pass-through so anyone wanting to enjoy cable or satellite programming without using the AVR can do so.

An interesting feature the AVR-E400 and AVR-E300 share is the added Easy-Connects “push-in” type speaker wire connections and Audyssey MultEQ. Denon has color coded their speaker terminals for anyone who requires a little more assistance during the setup process.

One thing I did not see on the new models, like the previous models, was the lack of analogue inputs. With the demise of component inputs on new flat panels, Denon has chosen not to include them as well.

What do you think of the new Denon’s new E-series line-up? Do you miss having component inputs behind an AVR?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I am in the hunt for a new AVR and the Denon looks pretty good. And no I dont miss component inputs.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Denons were always solid units, but in the last couple of years, their AVR's look stripped from a whole bunch of inputs and features. Onkyo receivers seemed to be the best bet until they had issues with their HDMI boards. For that I would suggest to look at other receivers like Denon and Pioneer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I am in the hunt for a new AVR and the Denon looks pretty good. And no I dont miss component inputs.
JDF1384 likes this.

AVSForum
post #4 of 43 Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The AVR-E400 seems to be the successor to the AVR-1913. The AVR-E300 appears to be the successor to the AVR-1613. The AVR-E200 appears to be the successor to the AVR-1513. The Denon AVR-17XX line appears to be discontinued, probably because it was priced so closely to the AVR-16XX line.

Honestly, this new line looks to me like kind of a downgrade. The New York Times panned the new "easy" setup feature. It looks like Denon replaced binding posts with a fancy version of guillotine clips. Last year's AVR-1713 had Audyssey MultEQ XT, but all of these new models only have Audyssey MultEQ.

Wi-Fi is still lacking from the Denon receivers. That's a disappointment.
post #5 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 13
I think it's a shame their reducing component inputs on receivers. For us gamers with old consoles, there a godsend. I'm still looking for one with three component inputs lol.

The new line here looks cool.

post #6 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Looks like the 400 has one set of component inputs. As long as there are enough HDMIs I don't mind the loss of the components.

Where's the Bluetooth though?

I suppose a bluetooth dongle could be added via USB, but it's a small enough oversight I guess.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
post #7 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post

Where's the Bluetooth though?

Not being a jerk here, but could you please explain why anyone would need Bluetooth on/with/in(?) their AV receiver?
post #8 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin96 View Post

Not being a jerk here, but could you please explain why anyone would need Bluetooth on/with/in(?) their AV receiver?

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Nethawk likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Denons were always solid units, but in the last couple of years, their AVR's look stripped from a whole bunch of inputs and features. Onkyo receivers seemed to be the best bet until they had issues with their HDMI boards. For that I would suggest to look at other receivers like Denon and Pioneer.

Yeah, it definitely looks like you are getting less this year with Denon. That E-400 looks like a $399 receiver not $600. With the Pioneer SC-1222 going for $529 after coupon at the newegg, Why bother?? Nice class D amp on it too boot. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412
tcrote5516 likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

So being able to listen to the audio from the receiver (moves, tv, music) on wireless headphones, or single earpiece? I kinda figured as much, just didn't realise that practice had become popular.

Must admit I don't "do" bluetooth yet. I have a hands free earpiece for my smartphone, but its not a bluetooth. My Panasonic 3D glasses have bluetooth though... does this mean I can plug a set of earphones into the glasses and listen to the audio that way?

Or does that mean I can answer the phone with my glasses? :S
post #11 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Prices have come way down on quality stuff, but still-7.1 analog inputs should be on all avr's. I can agree with omiting the video, but many like myself have Oppo and like me the nuforce mod. That leaves us stuck with used or very high priced, or only a select few choices for new equipment. HDMI belongs with TV. Too much interference with the audio signal in one line.
post #12 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Yeah, it definitely looks like you are getting less this year with Denon. That E-400 looks like a $399 receiver not $600.

Speaking of a $399 receiver, as I pointed out the AVR-E400 very closely matches the specs of last year's AVR-1913. You now can get last year's AVR-1913 for — drum roll, please — $399.

Denon actually raised the list price on the AVR-E400 compared to the AVR-1913. The E400 is $599; the 1913 had a list price of $579. So, you're getting less receiver for $20 more than last year.
gridbug likes this.
post #13 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Another thing: In earlier years Denon was fairly honest about the wattage of their receivers. This year the marketing department appears to be writing the advertised specs. So, the AVR-E400, which is 90 watts per channel (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm), is being advertised as "185 watts per channel maximum power." Every reviewer I've seen out there is parroting the "maximum wattage" number.
post #14 of 43 Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Yeah, it definitely looks like you are getting less this year with Denon. That E-400 looks like a $399 receiver not $600. With the Pioneer SC-1222 going for $529 after coupon at the newegg, Why bother?? Nice class D amp on it too boot. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412

So thats a good deal on the Pioneer, it ends today(!)? I was also looking at the Sony 1030. I have a budget of $400 but if its worth it i would spend a little more.
Mostly Im getting a new receiver for the PS4 and new Xbox coming out. Also I plan on buying the new Sony W900a TV. Ah its gonna be an expensive year. ; \
post #15 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

So thats a good deal on the Pioneer, it ends today(!)? I was also looking at the Sony 1030. I have a budget of $400 but if its worth it i would spend a little more.
Mostly Im getting a new receiver for the PS4 and new Xbox coming out. Also I plan on buying the new Sony W900a TV. Ah its gonna be an expensive year. ; \

If your shopping for an AVR and want to future proof your purchase as much as possible, make sure it is 4K compatible. That's something I would be looking for especially if your considering the PS4 and/or the new Xbox (720 or Durango). Who knows what these two will have in store for us. I think we will have to wait to see what HDMI releases as specs and if it can be firmware up-gradable for that. rolleyes.gif

AVSForum
post #16 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

If your shopping for an AVR and want to future proof your purchase as much as possible, make sure it is 4K compatible. That's something I would be looking for especially if your considering the PS4 and/or the new Xbox (720 or Durango). Who knows what these two will have in store for us. I think we will have to wait to see what HDMI releases as specs and if it can be firmware up-gradable for that. rolleyes.gif

Anybody who is in the market for a 4K tv now or in the near future is not going to buy one of these low end avrs!
post #17 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Anybody who is in the market for a 4K tv now or in the near future is not going to buy one of these low end avrs!

Not necessarily. You can find the Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver with the Marvell QDEO chip on board that upscales and processes 4K. You can call that a 'low' end receiver and I would consider that future proofing. You can pick up that AVR for under $400.

All 2013 Pioneer models will be 4K Ready which will all allow 4K Pass-Through. VSX-523K's MAP pricing is $279.99, I don't think you can beat that either. wink.gif

AVSForum
post #18 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Thats not my point, anybody with a very high end budget ( should really say no budget ) for 4k panels is not going to buy low end audio hardware..

That would be just crazy to spend 10k+++ on a 4k panel and pass the video though a $500 avr !!
Not that these low end avrs are bad, its just if you want the best of the best, its like putting a 200 mph speedo in a corolla, nice, but not needed.
By the time the $500 avr buyer is buying 4k panels (4k/60" panels are now mainstream and sell for $700), I'm sure there will be someother good reason these avrs will be obsolete..
The only reason these low end avrs have 4k pass though is it only adds 2 cents to the cost of making them.
post #19 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Thats not my point, anybody with a very high end budget ( should really say no budget ) for 4k panels is not going to buy low end audio hardware..

I thought we were answering Helvetica Bold when he said he was looking for an AVR for the upcoming PS4 and Xbox. No one ever mentioned shopping for a panel here and having a high-end (no budget)...??? If you want to talk about 4K panels, you can take a look at the thread I posted about the Seiki 4K panel at $2000. It may not be the best panel in the world, but anyone hardcore into gaming using Seiki 4K panel, a PS4 and a Pioneer AVR, you got yourself a 4K system.

The point I'm trying to come across is that you can future proof your AVR without having to spend lots of money. We are starting to see entry level 4K panels being released at affordable prices. Manufacturers know that if they want to get more traction and get consumers changing their flat panels, they are going to have to bring down prices on 4K. The PS4 will supposedly also be affordable. 4K will be at our doorstep sooner that you think.....hopefully tongue.gif

AVSForum
post #20 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

Prices have come way down on quality stuff, but still-7.1 analog inputs should be on all avr's. I can agree with omiting the video, but many like myself have Oppo and like me the nuforce mod. That leaves us stuck with used or very high priced, or only a select few choices for new equipment. HDMI belongs with TV. Too much interference with the audio signal in one line.

If you are spending $500 - $900 on a Oppo Blu Ray player these entry level AV's are not in the same league...what am I missing?

Entry ticket means that, low cost to be price competitve for the en-mass shopper....there are trade-offs and stripped units to the basic input/output does serve some, these are meant for those.

Possibly you need to consider the CI series for your usage.
post #21 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

thanks for all the info, theres so many option on AVR these days. I really like the looks at the new Pioneer 1023. Looks like you get a decent bang for your buck. Plus I like
having the 4K pass through. Seems like Denon isn't giving as much with their new AVRs.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1023-K
post #22 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin96 View Post

So being able to listen to the audio from the receiver (moves, tv, music) on wireless headphones, or single earpiece? I kinda figured as much, just didn't realise that practice had become popular.

Must admit I don't "do" bluetooth yet. I have a hands free earpiece for my smartphone, but its not a bluetooth. My Panasonic 3D glasses have bluetooth though... does this mean I can plug a set of earphones into the glasses and listen to the audio that way?

Or does that mean I can answer the phone with my glasses? :S

Not just this, but to be able to stream from your smartphone or tablet to your home system. Anyone who's been unfortunate enough to hear a Jawbone Jambox can relate eek.gif

post #23 of 43 Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
New year, same last-century junk, but in a slightly different wrapping. And with a user interface and computing power not even on par with a 300 dollar Android phone, let alone a 500 dollar Mac Mini. It's time the receiver makers start from a blank sheet of paper. This is just beyond embarassing.
post #24 of 43 Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:

If you're shopping for an AVR and want to future proof your purchase as much as possible, make sure it is 4K compatible.

I agree with this if it can be done affordably. For anyone who holds onto their gear for years, future-proofing is a good practice. 15 years ago, a 42-inch plasma EDTV cost $15,000. Those currently-expensive 4K (Ultra HD) TV's will be affordable before you know it.
post #25 of 43 Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

I agree with this if it can be done affordably. For anyone who holds onto their gear for years, future-proofing is a good practice. 15 years ago, a 42-inch plasma EDTV cost $15,000. Those currently-expensive 4K (Ultra HD) TV's will be affordable before you know it.

Then honestly we should be all waiting on hdmi 2.0
Even current hdmi 1.4 avrs with 4K capability can only do 4k at 24p.
That is the bandwidth limit on hdmi 1.4.
post #26 of 43 Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Even current hdmi 1.4 avrs with 4K capability can only do 4k at 24p.
That is the bandwidth limit on hdmi 1.4.

Luckily Hollywood movies are filmed at 4K @ 24 fps. With 16:9 Ultra HD (3840 × 2160), HDMI 1.4 can handle 30 fps, which is the standard fps for TV anyhow.

But yes, if someone waits until next year to buy a receiver, it will likely have HDMI 2.0 and be more "future proof" than if they buy this year. The receiver will also be more likely to have Miracast as well.
post #27 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does Onkyo still have these issues? That was my main thing that had me going with my Denon AVR.
post #28 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

Does Onkyo still have these issues? That was my main thing that had me going with my Denon AVR.

I had asked Onkyo this when the TX-NR414/515/616 etc came out and according to Onkyo, these issues should have been resolved. Recently I had a dealer tell me he had two TX-NR616 that needed repair, most probably the HDMI board.

I'm gonna see if I can get any updates regarding this information with Onkyo to see if they really did resolve it. The new Onkyo models have just been released.

Denons are great receivers, I just think they are bare bone.

AVSForum
post #29 of 43 Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all, I was looking at the new receivers (AVR-E200, AVR-E300, AVR-E400) and their "counterparts" from previous models (AVR-1513, AVR-1613, AVR-1913). I have been reading forums and reviews all day trying to find if there is a specific advantage of the newer E series. For one, I use BlackBerry, so the remote control app is of no interest to me. I can also set up receiver and speakers and don't need the marketed "easy" setup or colour coded ports on the back.

I was looking at AVR-E300, but now that somebody pointed out the AVR-1913 is the same price, but an upper model, should I even consider the E series anymore? Are there any lacking features in the 1xxx line (like audio decoding, 3D, etc) that are newly available in the E line? I mean, given the price is the same, is there any reason why I should get AVR-E300 over the AVR-1913? I prefer more features and the 7.1.

Cheers.
post #30 of 43 Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

An interesting feature the AVR-E400 and AVR-E300 share is the added Easy-Connects “push-in” type speaker wire connections and Audyssey MultEQ. Denon has color coded their speaker terminals for anyone who requires a little more assistance during the setup process.

One thing I did not see on the new models, like the previous models, was the lack of analogue inputs. With the demise of component inputs on new flat panels, Denon has chosen not to include them as well.

What do you think of the new Denon’s new E-series line-up? Do you miss having component inputs behind an AVR?

Hi Vinny:

In the picture above, is the receiver powered up while someone is connecting speakers to the back of the receiver?

If you have older stuff that still works, and outputs though component, you're SOL.

e300 back panel

e400 back panel

I don't like the push in connectors for the speakers. Both of them look very low end. Denon could have put all those bits in a smaller box.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E200
Gear in this thread - E400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page