Stream from your own 'Cloud' Server - Sookbox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Streaming content from your own cloud has already been touched on in many threads on AVSForum. Of course there are many DYI solutions as well that many can propose, but for anyone not wanting to put in the time on building his/her own solution, Sookbox has the solution. At this year’s CES show, Sookbox released the ‘Sookbox Server’, a device that allows you to store all your content on a server and to stream it relatively anywhere in the world.

Now for the really cool features. The Sookbox Server supports full 1080p HD and 3D with 4 HDMI outputs and 16 audio outputs, Ethernet connectivity and 2tb of storage. That’s right folks, 4 HDMI outputs. We’ll come back to that in bit. It has a built-in GUI that can manage your content as well as add personalization and best of all, zone control. Everything can be accessed via smartphone or tablet.

Coming back to the 4 HDMI outputs, I believe this to be a great feature for anyone who wishes to centralize everything to one location and not having equipment clutter everywhere in the house. But for anyone who can’t or does not wish to centralize everything, Sookbox will soon be launching the Stream Runner. This deck of cards sized unit will allow you to stream using two-way network connectivity or using Wi-Fi. It also supports 1080p, and users are not limited to the number of Stream Runners on one server.

Quote:
We believe in a personal cloud. Personal meaning you own it personally, but also it is tailored to the user. The cloud should be divided by user, not by device or by service,” says Sookbox founder Dave Sukoff. “We open a new layer between the other cloud services and the user that makes the experience personal and meaningful.

That’s not all. If you don’t have much content load, Sookbox has its own web browser and can even access other applications such as Youtube, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu and more.
Quote:
Back at CES, the Sookbox founders said (via TechCrunch) that they expect the server to go for $1,000, with each Stream Runner clocking in somewhere between $20 and $50. The small company doesn’t have a target release date yet, but has a lot of funding, so the wheels are definitely in motion. If you want to be one of the first to own the Sookbox, get your name on the company’s mailing list.

This seems like a great solution without having to put too much time into setting up here. This makes for a great solution for anyone that has a lot of content and wishes to distribute it around the house. I'm gonna try and get my hands on a demo to review and I'll keep everyone posted as it becomes available.

For more information about SookBox or to get your name on the company's mailing list, visit www.sookbox.com

Do you see this as a possible solution for you?

Source

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 11
So.. can you stream HD audio on this bad boy? 1080p streaming is a given these days on any device but can I play a 1080p/HD audio .MKV file on it? smile.gif

TV: Panasonic Plasma 60" TC-P60ST30
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
post #3 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 27
Can you add storage?
post #4 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
@dborgill - Sookbox supports 99% of media types, including (but not limited to) the following: MKV, MP4, XVID, AVI, WMV, ISO and MOV video formats, including subtitle support. Also, MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG audio formats
post #5 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Will it support 4K? My pre/pro is 4K ready so I'm part way there I just won't pay what they want for a 4K TV right now. Down the road I would think about it.

Thanks.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarqueset View Post

Can you add storage?

I would like to know this as well. My current UnRaid server has 12TB and growing. I don't really care about adding storage, but can it access other servers and play its contents?

I'm interested. Of course pricing will play a roll on this as well. It has a lot to offer and I hope everything goes well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 23 Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good questions, but I have no answers for you. I contacted them to find out as much info as possible to answer everyone here and will get back to you as soon as I have answers. wink.gif

As for the streaming on the network, I would hope so. They don't mention if it's DLNA certified. I'm sure with the PS3 Media Server running, you can probably access it....?? I would assume so.

I have another brand media player at home and I have an internal drive. I must admit as well that it's empty. I have a server with 6TBs streaming to that media player.

AVSForum
post #8 of 23 Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM

@dmarqueset and @GusGus748s Can you add storage? - At this time, no. However, we're looking to add a cloud storage feature soon. Stay tuned...
post #9 of 23 Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I just got a quote for $2000. That's too steep for me. I'm out.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #10 of 23 Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

dbl

Your right too high IMO also. He didn't answer my question about it being 4K capable, I'm thinking that's a no then. I'm sure it's a nice device though. Maybe the price will come down.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

dbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Your right too high IMO also. He didn't answer my question about it being 4K capable, I'm thinking that's a no then. I'm sure it's a nice device though. Maybe the price will come down.

Yeah, I just got the email too. $2000 is high for me as we'll. I can build a super server with $2000.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 23 Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 PM

You know, I really like this, but the price is a little high. Personally, for much less you can get a Tonidoplug and attach a USB drive and access all of your files from anywhere in the world. The plug costs $99 and runs Linux (http://www.tonidoplug.com/) and you can attach a large 2 TB drive to the device. Additionally, if you are completely ignorant to servers, you just have to turn on the DLNA Server mode and voila you can stream your entire music and video collection to a DLNA compatible device. The device uses very little power and can stay on 24 hours per day. Of course there is no RAID protection, but if it's something simple that you are looking for and you have your files backed up somewhere, I think that this is a good solution.

I'm not talking down the Sookbox, I think that it looks very elegant and is probably a great addition to a high end system, but there are 12 TB PC systems that go for much less than what is being asked for here.

post #13 of 23 Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Yeah, I just got the email too. $2000 is high for me as we'll. I can build a super server with $2000.

Thanks for the info, can you please elaborate though on what is included in the price. I am simply curious to see what is included in the $2000 price.

AVSForum
post #14 of 23 Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Thanks for the info, can you please elaborate though on what is included in the price. I am simply curious to see what is included in the $2000 price.

Lets see. I only spend $400 dollars to build my current UnRaid server. I've spend about $200 dollars in hard drives (I already had 5 drives). So, that's $600 dollars for a 12TB server. So, if I was to do it all over again, I would go with a Supermicro mobo with IPMI, SAS card for expansion, RAM, CPU i3, a Norco 4224 case. This would probably cost between $800 to $1000, which leave between $1000 to $1200 dollars to spend on hard drives for storage. Furthermore, it is possible to access this server from anywhere as well. I don't know how to do it, but I am sure there will be many who will be willing to help me to accomplish this.

I really like the idea of your server, but I find it difficult to spend $2000 on it. All I really care about is storage and being able to access it from anywhere. I don't need HDMI ports. I only need ethernet ports biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #15 of 23 Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lets see. I only spend $400 dollars to build my current UnRaid server. I've spend about $200 dollars in hard drives (I already had 5 drives). So, that's $600 dollars for a 12TB server. So, if I was to do it all over again, I would go with a Supermicro mobo with IPMI, SAS card for expansion, RAM, CPU i3, a Norco 4224 case. This would probably cost between $800 to $1000, which leave between $1000 to $1200 dollars to spend on hard drives for storage. Furthermore, it is possible to access this server from anywhere as well. I don't know how to do it, but I am sure there will be many who will be willing to help me to accomplish this.

I really like the idea of your server, but I find it difficult to spend $2000 on it. All I really care about is storage and being able to access it from anywhere. I don't need HDMI ports. I only need ethernet ports biggrin.gif

Thanks GusGUs748 for sharing, but I was more intrigued to find out what was included in the $2000 Sookbox quoted you.

AVSForum
post #16 of 23 Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks GusGUs748 for sharing, but I was more intrigued to find out what was included in the $2000 Sookbox quoted you.

I thought it was directed to me, but I am interested in what is included in the $2000 price tag as well.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #17 of 23 Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Will it support 4K? My pre/pro is 4K ready so I'm part way there I just won't pay what they want for a 4K TV right now. Down the road I would think about it.

Thanks.

4k support isn't going to be part of our 1st version. It may appear in later versions if it gains enough traction and there is enough demand.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I've went to sookbox website, but I don't see any specs for this server? Can you provide any info regarding this?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #19 of 23 Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've went to sookbox website, but I don't see any specs for this server? Can you provide any info regarding this?

Hey GusGus748, I have a meeting with them tomorrow. Will try and get you as much info as possible to share with everyone here.

AVSForum
post #20 of 23 Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey GusGus748, I have a meeting with them tomorrow. Will try and get you as much info as possible to share with everyone here.

Sounds good thank you.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #21 of 23 Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM

You can get a WDTV with 1tb of storage for ~$180, tack on a 4 tb external usb drive and you would have a 5tb server that can provide access to multiple smaller WDTV's for under $100. Or you could get a nice RAID multi bay enclosure with drives and multiple WDTV's (or whatever end point you like) as end points. Even if you want to be real lazy and just buy 5 WDTV hubs, you would have 5tb and 5 tv's covered for the same price. I don't get the high pricing.
post #22 of 23 Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
With the speed of the internet I see on the road at hotels this at the current moment is a bit useless.
The price of the unit also puts it out of the ballpark, you might as well just buy and Air Video app
from InMethod and just stream what you have now from your current system.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 AM

Wanted to update that Sookbox has just launched on kickstarter. Please visit and all comments/questions welcome.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page