Flixster wants you to go disc-to-digital without leaving home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Love it, or hate it, UltraViolet looks as if it is here to stay. My opinion of it is that while a good idea, the execution has is a little "hit or miss".

One way you can view your UltraViolet movies, is through Flixster.com, a movie viewing site owned by Warners. Following in the footsteps of Wal-Mart (with VUDU) and Best Buy (Cinemanow.com), you can transfer your DVDs to digital cloud storage without ever leaving home. Then you can playback on your computer, or mobile device. Now there are two catches: 1). You are limited to what studios are participating.
Quote:
The app also contains a list of available titles that can be converted; participating studios include Warner, Universal, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures and Paramount. The service does not yet support conversion of TV shows or Blu-rays.

and 2.) Like VUDU and Cinema now, there is a fee. $3 for SD copies and $5 for HD copies. That alone maybe enough to turn off most people.

But if you want to try it, when you install the player on your PC, you get 5 free SD transfers. With this knowledge, I decided to give it a try. I started with the 1968 classic, "Bullitt". You've got Steven McQueen "cool", combined with a great story, and oh, there is a car chase scene in it that I hear is pretty cool. The DVD version was released in 2005, so I thought this would be a good test disc.

I have a pretty good internet connection, I had the player downloaded and installed in about 7 minutes. I put my movie in the disc player, and the player unlocked it in about a minute. When I clicked to watch the movie, I had to wait for the movie to be downloaded to my PC. The 1.71GB file was finished in about 6 minutes.

The quality was standard def. DVD quality. Then I switched over to my IPhone 5 and the movie was in the cloud and ready to go a little faster than I thought. The playback was smooth and looked pretty good. Now, I need to figure out how to converge all my UltraViolet movies to one place. That is part of the "hit or miss" that continues to baffle users.

What do you think? Do you use these services? If not, why? Also, a little help getting all my movies in one place!

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/flixster-testing-home-disc-digital-29848

John Burton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
In my case, I prefer to make my own digital copies that I can play on any device. Too often, the digital copies you get either after market or with a movie are restricted on what devices they'll play on - and Android seems to get the short end the stick a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 22
I do the same thing. It works so much better for me. I just don't know why Ultraviolet is just so clunky?

John Burton

post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Liked: 10
Convenience is why people do it. My daughter uses these all the time, she can watch them on her computer, tablet or whatever she had at the time. I use it occasionally as well. Its much easier then installing tons of 3GB files on your PC and trying to stream them or even moving them manually from device to device.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffosoft View Post

Convenience is why people do it. My daughter uses these all the time, she can watch them on her computer, tablet or whatever she had at the time. I use it occasionally as well. Its much easier then installing tons of 3GB files on your PC and trying to stream them or even moving them manually from device to device.
That's the thing: the Ultraviolet stuff isn't convenient at all. Until they get it all unified so you can activate and stream the stuff in one place, it kind of sucks to use it.

I think it's more that most people don't know how to do it "the other way" that makes them lean toward the services.

As far as storing files, hard drive space is dirt cheap. Between all the other stuff we store, it's small potatoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page