Panasonic May End Plasma Production in 2014 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would like to personally thank about 80% of the people posting on this thread. Let me explain......

I have been a home theater enthusiast for many years now. Whenever I want to know about a product, I come to AVS. There are so many members that you can find reviews from many people that own almost any piece of equipment you could think of. I have gotten a lot of advice from AVS over the years without having to even ask. I have also bought and sold on this site which was a pleasure. Now the bad. I also am a member on several other forums and enjoy participating in discussions and debates on those sites. This site however, I never do so. The reason you ask....it's quite simple really.

Many of the people on here are extremely rude egotistical "know it alls". I mean really, if all you are going to do is argue and talk to anyone who has a different opinion than you as if they are stupid and inferior then start a new arguing forum website and all these jerks here can jump ship and join you over there. This post is supposed to be about Panasonic possibly dropping plasma and the vast majority of the 200 plus posts is nothing more than a pissing contest about whose TV is better. What a joke!!

So my reason for thanking you??? You reconfirmed my thoughts for years about what a horrible place this is to try to have a conversation with others who share the same passion. If I wanted to deal with all this childish immature crap I would go back to middle school!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Themrclean,

If you want to know whether Panasonic is going to drop plasma, the answer was already clearly stated by many of us within the industry that it's just a rumour. A rumour that even Panasonic have dispelled to any journalist who asked them directly. There is no other info than that.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #213 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Themrclean,

If you want to know whether Panasonic is going to drop plasma, the answer was already clearly stated by many of us within the industry that it's just a rumour. A rumour that even Panasonic have dispelled to any journalist who asked them directly. There is no other info than that.

Except that's not true. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57575459-221/how-long-will-panasonic-keep-making-plasma-tvs/

"There's probably not going to be a huge generational difference next year," Hauser said. "I wouldn't expect further generations after that." - Henry Hauser, Panasonic North American vice president of merchandising display products

The phrase "the writing is on the wall" comes to mind.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #214 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Themrclean,

Yes David, I was able to read that, thanks though. LOL

I actually don't care if they stop making plasmas. To me plasmas have horrible PQ, you couldn't bring one in my house if you paid me. I think you read my post but missed the entire point though. This should be a place for people to have "friendly" discussions and debates. Instead everyone gets so upset that somebody might have said their TV was inferior that they completely derail the entire thread to tell others how stupid they are for not having the same opinion. David, you are by far the worst offender of that in this entire thread. No other forum that I am a part of is like this. Occasionally people get out of line, someone calls them out on it, and it stops. Just like it should be.
imagic and HaRd2BeAr like this.
post #215 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrclean View Post

I actually don't care if they stop making plasmas. To me plasmas have horrible PQ, you couldn't bring one in my house if you paid me. I think you read my post but missed the entire point though. This should be a place for people to have "friendly" discussions and debates. Instead everyone gets so upset that somebody might have said their TV was inferior that they completely derail the entire thread to tell others how stupid they are for not having the same opinion. David, you are by far the worst offender of that in this entire thread. No other forum that I am a part of is like this. Occasionally people get out of line, someone calls them out on it, and it stops. Just like it should be.

smile.gif

In a nutshell

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #216 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrclean View Post

I actually don't care if they stop making plasmas. To me plasmas have horrible PQ, you couldn't bring one in my house if you paid me.
"Horrible PQ," eh? I hope someone wakes up those calibrators and reviewers who have found the opposite to be true along with those shootout attendees who are apparently in dire need of some (new) spectacles.

It also begs the question as to why you're even in this thread (other than your previous teaching moment with David) if Plasma is such horrible garbage. Is it to celebrate the demise of bad rubbish? From what I have seen in this thread, David is mainly calling to task those who make absolute statements based on largely subjective observations, in less than ideal viewing environments and with panels that are pretty far removed from being reference.
David Susilo likes this.
post #217 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

"Horrible PQ," eh? I hope someone wakes up those calibrators and reviewers who have found the opposite to be true along with those shootout attendees who are apparently in dire need of some (new) spectacles.

It also begs the question as to why you're even in this thread (other than your previous teaching moment with David) if Plasma is such horrible garbage. Is it to celebrate the demise of bad rubbish? From what I have seen in this thread, David is mainly calling to task those who make absolute statements based on largely subjective observations, in less than ideal viewing environments and with panels that are pretty far removed from being reference.

You have just helped prove his point...
post #218 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 PM

Is this or is this not the audio video science forum?
David Susilo likes this.
post #219 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM

If you look at my post I said "to me they have horrible picture quality". I know many people love the look of plasma and that's great. My brother has Samsung's best 58" plasma from last year and I have a 55" LG LED. He loves his and thinks mine is not nearly as good, I love mine and think his is not nearly as good. Neither one of us are wrong, and neither of us are stupid for disagreeing with the other. It comes down to personal preference. I think plasmas are too dark and I can't stand the way motion looks on one either. I personally like a very bright vivid punchy picture. I will also never have my display calibrated because I hate the way a display looks afterwards. To me professionally calibrated displays are way too dull. I am a full believer of "preference over reference". All that matters to me is that I like the way it looks, not that it is the way it was supposedly intended to look. I am the same way with audio. My system is set with the surrounds and subs higher than a professional calibrator would set them. But that doesn't matter because it is the way I like it. I would never tell someone they are wrong for liking what they like. It is their opinion, their house, and their equipment and they should be able to use it the way they like best without being criticized.
post #220 of 225 Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Thanks for giving some exposition on the comment. It just seemed like a knife-twisting remark given the subject material of the thread, but that was my own impression of your tone, which doesn't always translate well via text (and also can depend on the reader's mood).

I've become a sucker for reference myself and enjoy being engulfed by the realism that such a tuned picture provides (I also watch in a darkened environment, so it's more suitable for that purpose; an LCD/LED would singe my retinas wink.gif). The new Samsung Plasma this year sets a new record for brightness, btw. If full-array ever returns (aside from Sony), I might be in the market for one (and if OLED doesn't become realized). smile.gif
post #221 of 225 Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 507
would suck.

if this happens, the real reason is that plasmas offer too good of a value, and they are worried OLED wouldn't be able to compete.

OLED over LED is a no brainer, but paying so much more for OLED over plasma is going to be a hard sell.

i'm sure OLED will provide the best picture, but plasma is still the best value, and i personally would continue to buy plasmas until OLED prices dropped, even LED's are way overpriced imo today
post #222 of 225 Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Plasma are near the end see the article posted on Verge! OELE is the future, "The King is dead long live the King"
post #223 of 225 Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Panasonic Display Vice President Kiyoshi Okamoto confirmed to The Verge today at an event in New York that development has ceased, and said that the ZT60 uses "the last plasma panel" from research and development. Okamoto was quick to note, however, that panel development is not the same as television production: he made it clear that Panasonic would continue to make and sell plasma televisions into 2014 at the very least, saying that "we have a responsibility" to customers to continue production.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4210556/panasonic-ceases-plasma-panel-development-will-continue-to-make-tvs
post #224 of 225 Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by baljumbaljum View Post

It is only logical step because there are a lot of returned tv panels under warranty. My 50 inch Panasonic plasma tv recently had a vertical stripe and I had money back under warranty. That is a serious problem because technology of plasma tv has problem with vertical stripes that no manufacturer has jet solved. cool.gif

In 2008 I was given a Mitsubishi LCD TV from Amazon and Mitsubishi to review. In 2009 it developed a vertical line and although out of warranty and with no receipt Mitsubishi fixed it when I told them that it was a review set. Anyway, the guy that came owned a TV repair shop in Metro Atlanta. He said the new technology TVs are seemingly only lasting 5-7 years. He said he didn't know how the extended warranty companies were staying in business with all the TVs he was repairing. My TV needed a replacement Samsung panel, the invoice said it was $1500. He said that when these TVs break it often costs as much as a new TV to fix or the part is no longer made meaning you had to buy a new TV. Last year the line reappeared and I bought a Panasonic GT50 to replace it. The new technology has issues for sure. I have not had a flat panel TV last more than 6 years. They need to find a technology that lasts at least 10 years. Although I do have a rarely used 10 year old Sharp Aquos in our full size conversion van that works but is rarely used. Panel life is not a good indicator on how long a TV lasts because that Mitsubishi is still usable, but with a defect. My oldest TV, an Olevia LCD probably had the power supply go at about 6-7 years but instead of fixing it we just upgraded to a larger Panasonic that was on sale for a decent price. But I agree. My sister's Samsung DLP's color wheel broke at about 6 years. I don't know anyone with a new technology that has made it over 6-7 years. The industry needs to make a TV that lasts on average almost as long as CRT technology. I'd pay more for a decent TV that lasts rather than less for one that lasts only a few years and constantly needs replacing.

NOTE: My first HDTV was a CRT RPTV Hitachi Ultravision 57S700, 9 years old, that is still working fine.
post #225 of 225 Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Hmmmm, interesting. Panasonic might continue making plasma's in the future.....

http://hdguru.com/breaking-news-panasonic-to-continue-plasma-tv-research-and-development/#more-10257
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page