Marantz Unveils Two Slim AVRs—NR1604 & NR1504 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 04-13-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1713 hast MultEQ XT vs MultEQ on the 1504. It also has more power, power supply almost twice as "big". The NR1504 has a smaller form factor and I really like the thin design. Probably they sound similar (though I have the prsonal impression that voices sound more natural on my NR1603 vs the much bigger AVR3313).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Liked: 11
I really like the look of the 1504. I just didn't know if the 1713 would sound significantly better than it or not. The lower power rating of the Marantz kind of scares me.
post #33 of 44 Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Double post.
post #34 of 44 Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone here actually gotten one of these units yet? I have one on order and can't wait. I was concerned about the 50W rating, but for now I'll only be using it to drive a pair of Aperion 4T tower speakers in a smaller sized room so it should be more than enough for my needs.

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #35 of 44 Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM

In the UK the Marantz NR1504 in black is in stock in most dealers, but the silver finish that I prefer is not due until June, I can't wait smile.gif
post #36 of 44 Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 AM

Greetings (long time lurker),

I just received my 1504 and I really like everything about it. It has enough power to cleanly push my towers (elemental designs) louder than I would ever want. However, one of the reasons I picked it up was for the pre-outs to run an external amp. And it was beyond disappointing when I hooked them up to my external amp. The external amp at nearly 90% and the Marantz at levels beyond what I would ever listen to it at barely produce any sound on the speakers attached to the external amp. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this or if it is just a design flaw.
post #37 of 44 Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 325
pudgeypete,

Did you run the Audyssey calibration after connecting the external amps? That should "normalize" the volume levels.

Selden
post #38 of 44 Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM

I did not, will try this today, thanks!
post #39 of 44 Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 PM

How does the 1504 compare to 1403 for music listening ? Anyone got a chance to listen ?
post #40 of 44 Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

Actually I care very much that the receiver is slim and has a small footprint. It mattered to me so much that I got rid of an expensive Denon 4806CI and went with the Marantz 1602 just for the foot print. My concerns were how much of audio fidelity I would be losing but I realized not much.
Only at high volumes the difference is palpable but at medium volumes, the Marantz and Denon performed comparably, the Denon was a beast and I hated it for its size in the living room

So you are saying.... size matters? smile.gif
post #41 of 44 Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Just got the Marantz NR1604 a few days ago and thought I'd give some impressions as my first post as a "thank you" for all of the insightful posts that I have read on AVS Forum.

A little background: I have had a Marantz SR7400 powering B&W CDM-9NT's in a living room for many years. I picked up the NR1604 to provide audio for a 1080p projector in a 13'x16' bedroom in an apartment. Thus, a lot of power was not necessary. In fact, at least half of its use would be to extract audio from HDMI and power Sennheiser PXC 450 headphones for streaming movies at night. Originally, this was not supposed to be a major home theater setup.

It is doing a great job passing 1080p video and powering the Senn's.

Other personal impressions that you may or may not find helpful:

Basic setup was very simple and the 1604 started passing the video to the projector while providing good audio to the headphones.

Next, it was time to have some fun. I had an SVS 20-39PCi sub from my old house in the living room, so I brought it into the bedroom to hear how it would supplement the headphones. No dice. Connecting the headphones disables the speaker outputs including the sub preamp.

To try to hear some audio aside from the headphones, I brought some small Sony surround speakers in from the living room and set up everything using Audyssey. As some have noted, the 1604 uses Audyssey MultEQ, not Audyssey MultEQ XT. This was my first time using Audyssey, and I was blown away by the ease of setup. It even informed me that I had the phase reversed on both L and R channels. The resulting sound was surprisingly good for the little Sony speakers combined with the SVS.

GUI: I personally am happy with the simple GUI. Simple graphics and basic text. It did exactly what I needed it to do without distracting me by trying to be too "pretty." There is also a smartphone app that I have yet to try out.

After a few days of watching Amazon Prime movies and TV and TED on a Roku 3, mostly using the Senn' cans, I have found the sound is good and really reflects the differences in source material.

Next: to have even more fun, I tried to hook the 1604 up to my network. Fortunately, my router is in my bedroom and I had a spare Ethernet cable that was exactly long enough to reach the 1604. I plugged in the cable and figured I'd have to configure some IP or other network stuff. Nope. To my surprise, the "Internet Radio" button immediately gave me access to a plethora of streaming stations. While streaming audio won't provide the best sonic quality, I was very happy with how easily I could find radio stations grouped by genre and location. It was also easy to set the three "Favorite Station" buttons on the remote by holding the button while on the desired station until the GUI showed it was marked as a favorite.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio S30 speakers arriving today to replace the Sony's. I ordered these on Amazon thanks to all of the helpful reviews on AVS Forum. In fact, I auditioned some Energy and B&W bookshelf speakers at Best Buy's Magnolia department (where I bought the 1604). Fortunately, they did not have the B&W's I wanted in stock, so I went home, read your reviews of the S30's, and saved a lot of money that I originally didn't plan on spending. wink.gif

A little bit of a summary:

Pros:

Marantz quality, Slim profile, easy setup, Audyssey MultEQ room correction, 7.1 channel (5.1 if using Zone 2), component video inputs, Internet/Airplay streaming and updates (via Ethernet cable)

Cons:

Only 50W/channel (into 8 ohms), Audyssey MultEQ has lower resolution than Audyssey MultEQ XT, no Wi-Fi

Summary:

The Marantz NR1604 can satisfy a desire for a quality slim AV Receiver for a small home theater and for good quality music.

Hope that helped. I'm a little behind the times with this stuff, so other reviews may provide a better comparison to other receivers.

-M
post #42 of 44 Old 05-25-2013, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good first post. I'm thinking to also pick one of these up.

Does anything light up on the front panel when say you are playing say a 7.1 DTS HD MA source?
post #43 of 44 Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

My Onkyo 605 finally crapped out a few weeks ago, so I think I know what I'll be buying after my move next month. I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews of both of these units in the coming weeks. (especially the 1504)
post #44 of 44 Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Hi everyone, i sold my ex Denon AVR-1910. I have Wharfedale 10.6 as front, 10.2 as rear, 10cs as center and power cube 10+.

I am looking for new AVR for my system now. I think i will buy Marantz 1504 smile.gif I have searched Pioneer 921, Yamaha 673, Sony 840 for my speaker setup, but i like Marantz than the others. At the beginning 50wpc of 1504 is scared me. But most people say that shouldn't be any problem, my Wharfedales and Marantz 1504 will fit each other. What do you think?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page