Marantz Unveils Two Slim AVRs—NR1604 & NR1504 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

If you're looking for a slim AVR that maintains a certain level of quality, Marantz has a solution for you—the NR1604 and NR1504.

We begin with the NR1604, the more fully equipped of the two. It offers seven channels of amplification, letting you choose between a 7.1 system, dedicating all the channels for movie watching, or 5.1+2, which lets someone watch a movie in one room in 5.1 while someone else uses the two extra channels for listening to music in another room simultaneously.

The NR1604 also sports an impressive seven HDMI inputs and five analog video inputs, and it offers 3D and 4K pass-through. For those who might be wondering, this model also upscales both high-definition and standard-definition source material to 4K. Not bad for $650.

The more modest NR1504 offers 5.1 surround sound with no 4K pass-through and no 4K upscaling. It includes six HDMI inputs, with one on the front of the unit. With no 4K video scaling and two fewer channels, it comes in at $500.

Marantz has included Airplay with both new units, an upgrade from last year's corresponding models. This lets users stream music wirelessly from iTunes on a Mac or PC as well as any iOS device on the network. Plus, they both offer thousands of Internet radio streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify and SiriusXM. Marantz does not offer built-in WiFi or any adapters for it; the Ethernet port is the only way to access content over the network.

There is a USB input, which can be used to play MP3s on an external storage device. Both units also have a cool feature called Marantz Setup Assistant, which helps you get up and running easy and efficiently using a graphical interface.

Marantz hasn't announced any ship dates for these units, but we are expecting them some time in the late spring or early summer.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
No 3D on the 1504? Must be a typo. Doesn't make sense

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

No 3D on the 1504? Must be a typo. Doesn't make sense

Your absolutely right fatuglyguy. I have corrected it.

Thanks wink.gif

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #4 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Well we have slim HDTV's and now slim AVR's. Cool. smile.gif
post #5 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 11
These are interesting...especially the 1504. I like the slimline look. Does the low W per channel scare anyone off? Also, how would these compare to something like a Denon AVR-1713?
post #6 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 302
I like the way this is heading, but any room correction? how about handling a 5.2 setup?
post #7 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Huh, that's interesting. I was looking into getting the Sherbourn SR-8100, but have been holding back due to a lack of details. This is very interesting competition, that I'll have to consider. (And I do really like that it has a front HDMI port).

The Sherbourn seems to be mostly better, but the 1604 has some interesting features (4K support would make it more futureproof, DLNA streaming is higher quality than Bluetooth, more HDMI inputs). For the 1604, only 50w at 0.08% / 8 Ohm according to the spec though. That 70w number is at 0.7% / 6 Ohm apparently. Not really a problem with my speakers, but something to consider.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #8 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Liked: 13
If they had Audyssey MultEQ XT, I would have been sold!

"Research returns results!"
PSN: agent_np
post #9 of 44 Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 124
It's sad that not only can you not get 7.1 analog inputs on these, but the pre-outs are only for the front two (why never the front three? the center is supposed to be the most important channel, and all three in the front should receive the same amplification ideally for the soundstage). The rest of the power can go to the rear. My Marantz SR5004 that I got refurb has more audio inputs and outputs than these...I could get rid of everything except the pre-outs and I'd be happy. But no, some guy decided to save 99 cents by only providing two channels despite there being a market for slim AVRs with decent ins/outs. Ask Oppo. In fact, I may have to go there for my 4k passthrough hdmi needs, but I'll wait for HDMI 2.0 methinks before upgrading. Just not worth it atm
post #10 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is at least the fourth iteration of the Marantz AVR Slimline series (that I know of). I've got the NR 1603 and am very happy with it. However, I keep redesigning this receiver over-and-over in my mind to make it better. The New 1604 got at least one thing partially right - the additonal Zone 2 low-level audio pre-outs. With the right wireless and amp treatment, these Zone 2 audio-outs would make an ideal remote wireless headphone setup to listen to audio and video w/o having to get up and plug a headphone jack into the front panel. I use my 1603 for the masterbedroom - a nice lowline receiver complements an unobtrusive bedroom audio-video setup idea with almost all the functionality of a larger full-service AVR. To make the 1604(5) ever better - a second assignable digital audio optical in, a pair of RCA audio & video in/outs for a DVR,etc., ginning it up to 90(hopeful) watts/2channel status, and 4K pass-through would make this an ideal and unequaled low-profile AVR; the 1504 is the low-end, the 1604 should have a few more bells and whistles than just 7.1 (IMO). And what's with all these boring black boxes?; bring back a nice silver line like the UK still has (sorry, obviously my old school leanings are surfacing) and you've got me entirely sold -- and it would be worth paying some extra bucks to get these additions. Anyone over there at Marantz listening?

- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #11 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

It's sad that not only can you not get 7.1 analog inputs on these, but the pre-outs are only for the front two (why never the front three? the center is supposed to be the most important channel, and all three in the front should receive the same amplification ideally for the soundstage). The rest of the power can go to the rear. ...

My thoughts exactly on the preouts. There is a perfect, logical spot for the center channel preout on the back panel, too.

"Research returns results!"
PSN: agent_np
post #12 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Liked: 35
Obviously, this is being marketed to people who care more about esthetics than sound quality. I'm not saying this AVR won't sound good, but who really cares if it's a few inches smaller?
It reminds me of the when the Slim PS3 came out.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #13 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I like the way this is heading, but any room correction? how about handling a 5.2 setup?
The 1403 and 1603 have Audyssey MultEQ. These probably do too. Being able to equalize two subwoofers independently requires a much more expensive version of Audyssey than can be justified at these price points. You can always use a Y cable to connect two subwoofers. That's all that most receivers provide. They just do it internally.

Selden
post #14 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The 1403 and 1603 have Audyssey MultEQ. These probably do too. Being able to equalize two subwoofers independently requires a much more expensive version of Audyssey than can be justified at these price points. You can always use a Y cable to connect two subwoofers. That's all that most receivers provide. They just do it internally.

Thanks Selden. Good to hear they didn't neglect the room correction all together. I hope they add the nicer version as well in the higher end version of the model. If I remember right, the Dennon line charged something like 50$ extra to jump up a step to MultiEQ XT as well as 5watts more per channel when going from their 1613 to 1713. If Marantz even charged double that to put a bit more SQ into this one, then I'd bet it wouldn't just be me that would be more willing to buy it.
post #15 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want more power, more connections and a higher grade of Audyssey from Marantz, you'll have to consider one of their "full height" SR series of receivers. The NR series is intentionally limited in many ways, not just the size.

Selden
post #16 of 44 Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 124
But that's silly. I do want smaller equipment, but I can get it in the form of an Oppo Bluray player. Only reason to get these instead is for 4k passthrough, which I want, but not that urgently. I wish I could get frame interpolation with minimal lag too, but perhaps I'm asking too much.

IMO receivers should take digital inputs (HDMI or optical) and output analog line-level and amp-level on all channels. That should be the minimum thing they do, and do well.
post #17 of 44 Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I like the fact they both are not stuffed with crap you may never need or use. But, no 96/24 support? I didn't see anything,IT would seem Marantz is headed in a good direction, dumping unneeded features. But again-more power!! harrrrr! min 100 watts.
post #18 of 44 Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want more power, more connections and a higher grade of Audyssey from Marantz, you'll have to consider one of their "full height" SR series of receivers. The NR series is intentionally limited in many ways, not just the size.

Understood and agree. Won't be buying one of course till they make one with the right mix of features, which as I said earlier was better room correction and dual sub management.
post #19 of 44 Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post

This is at least the fourth iteration of the Marantz AVR Slimline series (that I know of). I've got the NR 1603 and am very happy with it. However, I keep redesigning this receiver over-and-over in my mind to make it better.

Same here, but the thing I wish most to be improved is a bit more power. Consumption and rated output is exactly the same as in the NR1603. Don't get me wrong, I think this receiver is really good and has really good sound quality. So far it was enough for me even in 5.1 mode... however I always feel a bit reluctant to turn up volume too much in multichannel since I don't want to kill my expensive KEFs (clipping or such).

Audyssey MultEQ has done a good job in my room, a few more bucks for the XT.... I'd say yes though it didn't produce a good result when tested the Denon AVR 3313.
post #20 of 44 Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

I like the fact they both are not stuffed with crap you may never need or use. But, no 96/24 support? I didn't see anything,IT would seem Marantz is headed in a good direction, dumping unneeded features. But again-more power!! harrrrr! min 100 watts.

I think receiver power needs to be limited intelligently to make them more pre/pro with a bit of power and then get a dedicated amp if you need more. I think AVR's are heading this way because we all sorta know an amp is an amp is an amp. That means it is a commodity and has marginal profitability. However, the management of I/O and audio/video processing is a very volatile and changing field. Lots of opportunity to make something of a brand without the overhead of the amp. There are just so many good amps out there right now and a ton of good pre/pros. it just seem AVR's are trying to hold onto a market which really wants/needs to die.

*shrug*

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #21 of 44 Old 04-10-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Most people have neither the space nor the desire to use external amps. For them, having all the electronics packaged into a single box works best. Despite the large number of us who use AVS and understand the tradeoffs, we are very much in the minority.

Selden
post #22 of 44 Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM

I have the NR1603 and I think the lack of wifi capability is a reason not to buy this AVR.

My other gripe is the volume knob on the front panel has a very poor feel. Like it's stuck and moves slowly, not smoothly, with a hallow feel.
post #23 of 44 Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 AM

Actually I care very much that the receiver is slim and has a small footprint. It mattered to me so much that I got rid of an expensive Denon 4806CI and went with the Marantz 1602 just for the foot print. My concerns were how much of audio fidelity I would be losing but I realized not much.
Only at high volumes the difference is palpable but at medium volumes, the Marantz and Denon performed comparably, the Denon was a beast and I hated it for its size in the living room
post #24 of 44 Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 AM

I own the 1602 and highly recommend it. Airplay works great. Audio fidelity is excellent. The small foot print you can place it in any shelf and it doesnt look like an elephant.
post #25 of 44 Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM

Besides the new binding posts on the back, is there any real difference between nr1604 and nr1603?

I was eagerly waiting for the refresh, but I am disappointed they didn't move to Audissey MultiXT and a switching power supply for the amp (like some Pioneers and Harman Kardons).

Re the 50W/ch - the receiver is much more powerful than that in 1-2 channel mode, so I assume Marantz is claiming such low power not to cannibalize its more expensive offerings. For example in my NR1402, the power stage uses 2SD2390 (100W/10A), which is a standard spec in higher powered low/mid range receivers. The power rails also supply way too high voltage for just 50W. Also note that the 5.1 and 7.1 versions share the same amps and transformer, so their total power should be the same, not power / channel.

System 1: Yamaha RX-V2500 + 4x Bose 501 Series IV
System 2: Marantz NR1402 + 3x Boston Acoustics CS26 Gen. 1
post #26 of 44 Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM

After just buying the 1403 at BB, should I return (14 days left) for the 1504?
post #27 of 44 Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

TouchDown100,

You need to compare their features and decide out if the features added in the 1504 when compared to the 1403 are worth the increase in cost to you.

The major one is network connectivity: the 1403 doesn't have any network connection, so you'd have to send it to a repair center to get its firmware updated (if necessary). The 1504 also supports streaming of audio over the network, including Airplay, network radio stations and from a local DLNA server if you provide one on your home network. However, most modern Blu-ray players provide similar or even more network services.

Selden
post #28 of 44 Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

I think receiver power needs to be limited intelligently to make them more pre/pro with a bit of power and then get a dedicated amp if you need more. I think AVR's are heading this way because we all sorta know an amp is an amp is an amp. That means it is a commodity and has marginal profitability. However, the management of I/O and audio/video processing is a very volatile and changing field. Lots of opportunity to make something of a brand without the overhead of the amp. There are just so many good amps out there right now and a ton of good pre/pros. it just seem AVR's are trying to hold onto a market which really wants/needs to die.

*shrug*

Well, I do agree on this point of view. But then, I'd rather have an AV preamp in this size, Don't know why dedicated preamps always have to be monsters (plus adding a Multichannel amp makes two monsters). Hence I'd still like to see a stronger power supply so that output doesn"t got that far down in multichannel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouslan View Post

Re the 50W/ch - the receiver is much more powerful than that in 1-2 channel mode, so I assume Marantz is claiming such low power not to cannibalize its more expensive offerings. For example in my NR1402, the power stage uses 2SD2390 (100W/10A), which is a standard spec in higher powered low/mid range receivers. The power rails also supply way too high voltage for just 50W. Also note that the 5.1 and 7.1 versions share the same amps and transformer, so their total power should be the same, not power / channel.

Yes, it does have a bit more in 2 channel than 50W, but in 5-7 channel it has much less (14-19W p/ch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd View Post

I have the NR1603 and I think the lack of wifi capability is a reason not to buy this AVR..

Name a receiver that does have built in WiFi... I can't, even the expensive ones don't. But you can get a bridge for a few bucks, I'm using a small TPLink, smaller than an apple TV and works like a charm.

Quote:

The major one is network connectivity: the 1403 doesn't have any network connection, so you'd have to send it to a repair center to get its firmware updated (if necessary). .

Isn't there a way to update firmware using USB?
post #29 of 44 Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcl77 View Post

Quote:

The major one is network connectivity: the 1403 doesn't have any network connection, so you'd have to send it to a repair center to get its firmware updated (if necessary). .

Isn't there a way to update firmware using USB?

In principle, yes. In fact, no. There's no mention of firmware anywhere in the 1403's manual.

FWIW, many (most?) network-connected Denon and Marantz receivers can be updated either by network or USB, but the USB files for U.S. models are not officially available to the public, unlike for European models. There is a "back-channel" for AVS members for some models, however. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430049/the-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread/3480#post_23082234

Selden
post #30 of 44 Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM

How would the 1504 compare to a Denon Avr-1713?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page