AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

RIP

I remember watching "Sneak Previews" on PBS with my dad when I was a kid in the late '70s and early '80s. Later, we would watch "At The Movies." It was always cool to get a look at upcoming films.
IIRC, In the late 80's, the were picked up by one of the network channels since they were so popular. I think Lifestyles of the Rich and famous was on before or after the show.
The show was entertaining to watch their banter and really one of the few shows you could get a sneak peak/preview for a movie before there was the Internet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I cannot say I agreed with his views on 3D but I enjoyed reading his reviews which always struck me as being thoughtful and well written even if I disagreed with them at times.
Based on what I have read it would seem that he fought cancer hard too over the last decade and must have gone through some terrible ordeals at times. A brave man! RIP Mr Ebert.
post #33 of 37 Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched his TV shows years ago and always like the discussion and sneak previews. In the last 5 years I became a fan again and started using his reviews to help find the little gems out there that are not always part of the mainsteam. Check out his top 100 movie list on the web site.

RIP Roger.

I will miss you.

post #34 of 37 Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 AM

Liked: 12
Goes to show sitting in a dark theater watching movies for a living can be hazardous to your health. A gifted and humorous writer and at one time speaker I didn't always agree with his reviews but enjoyed the ways he presented them. The balcony really is closed now, RIP
post #35 of 37 Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I crossed paths with him back in 1997 when Alien Resurrection debuted Thanksgiving week. I remember going to a theater I normally wouldn't frequent due to Alien's limited release that week; he essentially lived 5 minutes away. As I remember it, Roger was checking out the candy selection at the concessions. I am pretty sure he went into the same theater I was in, but I remember it was pretty empty. Later on I would read his review that he didn't like Alien Resurrection at all. smile.gif

RIP
post #36 of 37 Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
Ebert was a part of my relation to movies. From a kid in Kansas watching him and Siskel do their back and forth to being in LA and always checking his review. When I moved to Kauai our local movie theater had a website with tons of reviewers. I only had to check with Roger to see if my hunch on a movie was worth the ticket. It was so sad when Siskel left and as another poster here said it seemed very sad and lonely for him. Then to see him stricken with cancer as well was almost too much. The way a person dies has much to say with how they lived. Well done, Roger! RIP, but somehow i like to think he and Siskel are up there getting ready to review the next movie with a bag of popcorn and a soda. Part of Americana has passed.
post #37 of 37 Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
R.I.P.

I watched At The Movies all the time when I was little. Sure is sad both him and Siskil are gone.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page