Sony Announces Pricing for 55" and 65" 4K UHDTV Sets, 4K Media Server - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Manufacturers are working on a 4K BD standard. I would expect to hear more by Christmas.

If it doesn't include a healthy bit bucket, at least 10 bit 4:2:2 video and a wider gamut, and full 24 bit, lossless object-oriented surround (that hasn't been dumbed down compared to the theatrical versions), then count me as supremely disappointed. Because we all know this will fetch a premium.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

If it doesn't include a healthy bit bucket, at least 10 bit 4:2:2 video and a wider gamut, and full 24 bit, lossless object-oriented surround (that hasn't been dumbed down compared to the theatrical versions), then count me as supremely disappointed. Because we all know this will fetch a premium.

Much was discussed over the past couple of days in the UHD conference at CE Week in NY. There is definitely a push for everything you discussed. How much will come to pass remains to be seen, but it won't be long before the answer is revealed.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #123 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I thought there wasn't supposed to be a 4K physical media biggrin.gif I think all involved have been rethinking this and the only true way to showcase UHD and get their product to the masses is with BD. The only other way to get media out to the masses would have been streaming and they can barely get 1080 done right. I also believe they had no idea how attached to our shiny discs many of us are, plus lets face it most people are not as advanced technically as AVS and other sites members. Many don't even have their HT setups connected to the internet. No one is going to order movies on a USB stick or order a hard drive full of movies, at least not enough people for them to turn a profit.
post #124 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I thought there wasn't supposed to be a 4K physical media biggrin.gif I think all involved have been rethinking this and the only true way to showcase UHD and get their product to the masses is with BD. The only other way to get media out to the masses would have been streaming and they can barely get 1080 done right. I also believe they had no idea how attached to our shiny discs many of us are, plus lets face it most people are not as advanced technically as AVS and other sites members. Many don't even have their HT setups connected to the internet. No one is going to order movies on a USB stick or order a hard drive full of movies, at least not enough people for them to turn a profit.

I believe what was said early on was that Blu-Ray will be the last physical media standard. Technically, this new 4K disc will still be Blu-Ray, and not a wholly new standard.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #125 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

I believe what was said early on was that Blu-Ray will be the last physical media standard. Technically, this new 4K disc will still be Blu-Ray, and not a wholly new standard.

No, many had said there wouldn't be a 4K physical media, maybe not on this thread but others. If it's the last physical media time will tell. It's not a totally new standard, that said your current blu ray player won't be able to read one, if and when they come out biggrin.gif
post #126 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

No, many had said there wouldn't be a 4K physical media, maybe not on this thread but others. If it's the last physical media time will tell. It's not a totally new standard, that said your current blu ray player won't be able to read one, if and when they come out biggrin.gif

This is true sir. The players will play standard Blu-Ray though, so at least we won't have to worry about that.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #127 of 127 Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
First 4k bluray comes out some time in 2014 using the rec2020 color space (ie 75% of the total color gamut) and greater bit depth. Then there will be 8k bluray, presumably using 100% of the color space, which will appear 6-10 years later. IMO smile.gif
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page