Panasonic Pulls Plug on Plasma Progress—ZT60 Marks End of Era - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Panasonic will no longer develop plasma technology. In a fate that is eerily reminiscent of Pioneer's exit from the plasma business after the Kuro line amazed the press with never-before seen quality, Panasonic has confirmed its inevitable exit from the category. News of the latest development in the saga surrounding the fate of the venerable technology comes directly from display VP Kiyoshi Okamoto, as disclosed in an interview with The Verge.

Panasonic's New York Press Event - Photo © by Mark Henninger

It turns out that the new ZT60, demonstrated over the past couple of days in NYC—I was there to see the demo—will be the final statement from a company that, until yesterday, denied it was exiting the plasma category. In fact is was denied at length, with charts and numbers explaining how 11% of the market is actually not bad. Now the exit is inevitable, and official.

Panasonic sees OLED technology as the future of high-fidelity display, it is also reacting to a market that has overwhelmingly opted for LED-based LCD televisions, regardless of the technical merits of plasma HDTV panels. Thankfully the IPS LED panels I saw at the same event looked very good.

Ending research on another new panel does not translate to an end in production, but the "rumor" that Panasonic will be closing its primary remaining plasma production facilities next year no longer seems very far-fetched. It also explains the description of the ZT60s availability as "limited".
Quote:
"Panasonic will never make a higher-quality plasma television."

"When asked if plasma R&D may ever start back up, Okamoto said that isn't the plan. The company has shifted at least some of its plasma engineers to OLED development, with which Panasonic plans to eventually replace its plasma lineup." source: theverge.com

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very sad news. indeed. I read your earlier article showing Panasonic and Kuro Plasmas and was very excited. Now, does this mean we will still see ZT60 in the retail market and there will not be a next year's model, or has the plug already been pulled?
Edit: OK. I got the answer in the other thread. We can buy it for another year
post #3 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just another example of the public willing to accept lower priced mediocrity over quality.
post #4 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
What a bummer,Like any television it has pros and cons,the pros it best color and skin tones and the price the cons they run out and prone for burn in the screen,will I buy another one I don't know right now.
post #5 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Just another example of the public willing to accept lower priced mediocrity over quality.

Its killing everything in the electronics industry. Interesting article in Widescreen Review on this cheapening issue called "The Future" January 2013 #173 issue.

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
post #6 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 129
this stinks mad.gif
post #7 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
WTF mad.gif Was really hoping Panasonic would continue Plasma production until OLED became affordable... Cuz LCD tech (LED back-lit or not) just doesn't cut it.
Stuntman_Mike likes this.

System Info:
Display - Panasonic TC-P55VT50
Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR809
Blu-Ray Player - Pioneer BDP-320
Front - Pioneer SP-FS51LR (with modified pedestal bases)
Center - Pioneer SP-C21
Surround & Surround Back - Pioneer SP-SS41LR (the 'SS' is for custom boxes)
Subwoofer - Eclipse 88100DVC (x2),...
post #8 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Liked: 17
OLED phosphor lifespan FTL.
post #9 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 17
Samsung is gonna pick up the slack - damn shame, love my panny plasma, the end of an era for sure
post #10 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is this going to bump up the price of the ZT60? I have been contemplating getting a new plasma, so this could be a decison maker for me.
post #11 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Is this going to bump up the price of the ZT60? I have been contemplating getting a new plasma, so this could be a decison maker for me.

The pricing of the ZT60 series is not set yet.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #12 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Sad day, I just purchased an ST 50 last year and was looking forward to another Panasonic plasma in the future.

post #13 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
It's about time. This is good news for everyone.
post #14 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice marketing trick, i guess they feel that this will create one of those "grab em before the stocks get over" scenario.Panasonic will never end plasma production at-least for another couple of years, because they sell more plasma than their mediocre LCD's, although they only sell half as much as Samsung in the plasma department.
post #15 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Wha? For the off-chance of affordable OLED by 2017? In the near-term, there is far more bad than good in these developments.
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
post #16 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:

What is good for "everyone". Having to settle with a inferior LCD/LED display now or setting aside resources for OLED technology? If the later...I can agree but if not the whole heartedly disagree. As vinnie mentioned, either way, for the near term this isn't "good news for everyone".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

What a bummer,Like any television it has pros and cons,the pros it best color and skin tones and the price the cons they run out and prone for burn in the screen,will I buy another one I don't know right now.

Welcome to 10 years ago?
Stuntman_Mike and Chris5028 like this.
post #17 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The bright side is Panasonic thinks OLED has a future and is willing to focus their attention on it.
post #18 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
it sucks as plasma can give you very close to OLED (that for the most part a common user would not noticed when calibrated properly), but at a fraction of the price.
post #19 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 05:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
prone for burn in the screen
Welcome to 10 years ago?

Plasmas dimmed badly relatively quickly (several thousand hours) when they were first sold... and were absolutely TERRIBLE with radiated RF noise - probably illegally so, but the FCC turned a blind eye.

Now, it appears most, if not all, of these problems have been solved. But its hard to shake the plasma's stigma.

Panasonic is in this to make money, not appease high-end home theater enthusiasts. If the sales suck for plasma, and it appears to them that other technologies (ones without the aforementioned baggage) are to be the way of the future, it makes sense for them to pull out. I think if plasma technology was considered "worth it" by Panasonic, they could have rebranded it somehow.
post #20 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 300
So it looks like I am buying a new TV this year

here is the important question i did not see, Are they just going to continue selling the xx60 models until they totally stop selling them outright? or will they rebrand the 2013 models as xx70 models in 2014?
post #21 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

You nailed it.
post #22 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Wow! Sad news indeed, very sad. But OLED is the future and the next generation I am looking forward to......NOT 4K. At least Panasonic is not pulling the plug completely on tv production they are just going in another direction and one that is very good in OLED in my opinion. But again sad news because Panasonic made one of the best Plasma's out there next to Pioneer's legedary Kuro.
post #23 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Speaking of Low End, while standing inside our local Walmart store, I watched 6 RCA $498 50" sets go past me to the take out counter in under 15 minutes. When mentioned that they'll probably only last a couple of years, I was told: `Yeah, I'll just throw it into recycling, and by then, I'll be able to get an RCA 60" for $498!'
Inside one the local Big Box Electronics store, never saw one TV go out while I was there.
post #24 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Liked: 12
This does mark the end of an era. Very excited to see what will roll out next from Panasonic!

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #25 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

The bright side is Panasonic thinks OLED has a future and is willing to focus their attention on it.
Which is why I've said this I'd good news for everyone. Plasma fan boys want to stick to their sets regardless of flaws or having the LED/OLED market surpass them. Panasonic getting into the LED/OLED gain means stiffer competition in the LCD world. Prices will be forced to go down. Awesome sets like the sharp elite won't have to come at a ridiculous price anymore.

So as I said. This is good news for everyone. LCD and oled have already been advanced enough to out due plasma tech. This will push em that much more. No more price premium for high LCD picture.
ez1dog likes this.
post #26 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
For the price, Plasma still beats LCD/LED...so I really dont see your point....Those full panel backlit LED displays are much more expensive than a very nice plasma with similar picture...so maybe I am dense but I just dont get what you are going for...

This is very said indeed, I was really hoping to pick one of these ZT60 up but on my limited budget it was already going to be a year or 2 before I could afford it...When I was getting out of college I planned to get a Kuro...which wound up being shut down before I could grab one of those as well....I am cursed apparently...

I do look forward to the OLED displays, however, it is going to be a long time before I will be able to afford one...so maybe I will just get a projector after all and keep the tv I have for the next 5 years.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #27 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Major Bummer. I've got two 50" Panny Plasmas. They are fairly new and I plan to keep them for as long as they last. Hopefully by the time I am ready to upgrade OLED or something else will have as good PQ etc.
post #28 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Which is why I've said this I'd good news for everyone. Plasma fan boys want to stick to their sets regardless of flaws or having the LED/OLED market surpass them. Panasonic getting into the LED/OLED gain means stiffer competition in the LCD world. Prices will be forced to go down. Awesome sets like the sharp elite won't have to come at a ridiculous price anymore.
Ima let you finish, but please do tell how LED tech has surpassed Plasma. With the exception of Sony full-array (and the Sharp Elites), there is nothing that competes with Plasma especially when one factors in the price.
Quote:
So as I said. This is good news for everyone. LCD and oled have already been advanced enough to out due plasma tech. This will push em that much more. No more price premium for high LCD picture.
Nonsense, full-array LED is going the way of the dodo bird, and cheap LCD with all its inherent problems reigns as king. And there is no OLED that one can even purchase much less preorder for under $12k.
pred1973 likes this.
post #29 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkusaf1 View Post

Welcome to 10 years ago?

Hardly. I wanted a Panasonic plasma more than anything but had to return one of last years top models due to burn-in. If you use your TV solely for films and television, by all means get a plasma, but if you use it for games and as the occasional computer monitor you HAVE to have an LCD.

Even with all the fancy features like the pixel orbiter, it will burn in. I know some of you will argue it is only "image retention" and that it will dissipate over time; however, I ask, what is the difference if there is always a faded image dissipating?

I had to settle for a Sony Edge-Lit LED. It produces some of the finest blacks for an LCD television, nothing close to the Panasonic mind you, but one of the best among realistic competition.
post #30 of 76 Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Liked: 15
Seems it isn't true after all

Panasonic buries rumors of plasma TV death

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List