AVS Forum banner
30K views 112 replies 52 participants last post by  mo949 
#1 ·

CNET has awarded the new TC-PST60 plasma series from Panasonic the highest recommendation it has ever given to an HDTV. Adding a sliver of a sixth star to their five-star rating, the new plasma series was lauded by CNET for its amazing image quality, especially for the price. The new ST60 series from Panasonic, which is part of the 2013 Viera line , is already available in stores.

As you would expect, the new plasma was granted an "Editor's Choice" award. CNET reviewed the 55" model but stated that the review and recommendation applied to all screen sizes in the ST60 line.

There is no doubt that the plasma sector of the flat-panel market is in trouble, with a market share of only 11% and going down. Panasonic responded to the predicament with a TV so good, CNET decided to declare it the best value for an HDTV—ever. Is that enough to turn the tide for plasma? Last week, Panasonic was optimistic that the market for plasma panels would remain flat for 2013. Last month, at Samsung's line show, that company was actually enthusiastic about the future of plasma HDTV. Has the time come for plasma to make a comeback, or is this truly the last hurrah?

Beyond five-star rating from CNET

Quote:
"I'll cut to the chase: If you value picture quality and don't have money to burn, you should buy the Panasonic TC-PST60... Yes, it's a  plasma . That's the main reason why its picture is so good. And despite what you may have heard, there's  very little reason not to get a plasma TV ." - source: CNET

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavid21  /t/1468350/cnet-gives-strongest-tv-recommendation-ever-to-tc-pst60-plasma-hdtv-line#post_23206233

Best HDTV ever? In every aspect? That is one hell of a statement by CNET. I would love to see this television in person that scored above a perfect 5 stars, which in itself is a contradiction.

I don't see where they made that statement.

#6 ·
Makes you wonder how much better the VT or ZT will be. Since CNet factors value into their overall score, the total rating will probably be lower on those models

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949  /t/1468350/cnet-gives-strongest-tv-recommendation-ever-to-tc-pst60-plasma-hdtv-line#post_23206247

I don't see where they made that statement.

True they did not make that statement directly they just gave it "Strongest TV Recommendation Ever" and declared it the best value for an HDTV—ever. If it was just those and a 5 star rating I would have not assumed they thought it was the best TV ever. However, the fact that they rated it higher than all the Kuros and above perfection led me to strongly believe they believe this tv is the best HDTV yet. I don't see how they can rank a TV above the 5 star standard they set themselves when they believe there is a better tv out there, even if it is at a higher price range

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup  /t/1468350/cnet-gives-strongest-tv-recommendation-ever-to-tc-pst60-plasma-hdtv-line#post_23206776

It should lose a star just because Panasonic's customer service is so bad.

Your opinion should lose 2 stars for that KU logo.

Reactions: LDSPilot
#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavid21  /t/1468350/cnet-gives-strongest-tv-recommendation-ever-to-tc-pst60-plasma-hdtv-line#post_23206319

True they did not make that statement directly they just gave it "Strongest TV Recommendation Ever" and declared it the best value for an HDTV—ever. If it was just those and a 5 star rating I would have not assumed they thought it was the best TV ever. However, the fact that they rated it higher than all the Kuros and above perfection led me to strongly believe they believe this tv is the best HDTV yet. I don't see how they can rank a TV above the 5 star standard they set themselves when they believe there is a better tv out there, even if it is at a higher price range

I guess I read it differently. To me the whole article reeked of value and not 'best in class'. They appeared to be seeing a cheap price tag with PQ that blows away some very high priced sets (think the 65 inch is under 2k and outperforms last year's 65vt50 that was priced at 3.7k). Obviously its a valid point to contest how you measure PQ, but I don't think they were inconsistent with their methods and measurement criteria from the previous years.

#18 ·
"3D wasn't that great but who really cares about 3D picture quality anyway"

Love the brute honesty of that statement.

(yes, we know some people DO care about 3D and you are certainly entitled to feel that way, etc.)

Reactions: Roy Warner
#21 ·
Cnet, IMHO, has been EXTREMELY unreliable in their reviews and I just can't trust them. That's not to say this is not a great TV; I have not evaluated it myself. It's just that they are extremely subjective and I've found that their reports differ wildly from what I have seen with a number of products. So much so that I do not go to their site anymore and do not believe what they have to say. I can't prove that they have a commercial bias but their track record makes me very suspicious.

#23 ·
While they're not the most technical reviews out there, I think Katzmaier is pretty trustworthy and his method is pretty solid. If he's biased towards anything, it's image quality. Samsung is a sponsor there too, and their stuff doesn't always walk away with a great rating. If he's so biased towards Panasonic, then why did CNet give Panasonic's 2012 LED TVs roughly 2 1/2 stars across the board? Because they didn't look good and they weren't afraid to say it. Like I said, can't speak for the rest of the people at cnet, but Katz seems like he knows what he's doing.

If you want to read garbage, biased reviews, head to televisioninfo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.