Krell Brings Foundation AV Pre/Pro to the New York Audio Show - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 157 Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

I have noticed to get the air or transparency you are looking for you need to have eq off. You can do this in one of two ways I have just found out. When you first do ares room eq you save it to memory 1. Then if you do not want it on for music you leave at least one of the other two memories alone. Then set it up in such a way as when you push say bd2 on the remote it goes to that setting. You can do this all in source setup. Save it to memory what ever. I hope you understand it is complicated. Note even though it says eq on in the menu in the one you didn't save to memory it will still be off. They should change that. If say you press bd1 and you have an eq setting in memory it should say eq on. Then in the one you don't save an eq setting for say 2 channel when you go into the menu from there it should say eq off. How do you know for sure? Say if your eq settings are slight and you keep doing the setup wrong? You would return it not knowing how good it could sound in all modes.

On ares room eq the 80hz setting was the best for me. It has a beautiful sound. Just smoothed out the bass a little.

If you have a really awful sounding room you can run room eq and then set all the speakers as fullrange and save that setting also in one of the three memory banks. For example I have bd1 as room eq on ,speakers set to limited, and crossed at 70 hz.That is memory 1. I have bd2 set as all speakers fullrange eq on for multichannel sacds and such this is memory 2. I am going to now set up one of the others and name it 2 channel and don't save eq into memory. This will leave it unaltered according to the tech at Krell.

The web interface is type in http://ip address/krell/index.html This will bring it up on your computer. You have to do this in your web browser. There is not an app yet.

Also just got more great news. Krell is working on a firmware update to allow for dsd direct. The Foundation is capable but it hasn't been implemented with firmware yet. The tech didn't know when it would be done but said they are going to add this feature in a future firmware. biggrin.gif

I hope this helps I just got the news about the eq not being saved into memory if you don't want it to. I wish this kind of info would be in the manual. And the sacd/dsd support with firmware. So now I have to redo my settings also. I have just been turning eq off in the menu for 2 channel music.

Ron,
I got my Krell connected and played a movie and one song last night. But couldn't get the ARES set up, because I was unable to access the Krell website for configuring and setting up ARES. Tried the way you described, http://ip address, then copied and pasted this: "/krell/index.html", but it didn't bring anything, showing a message saying "reload". Not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please provide a step-by-step detailed process to accomplish this? My Krell was able to find the source and speaker at the first attempt anyway, I downloaded a couple of patch during software update process. No newer version is available now, it is still 1.08.
Will appreciate your help.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 157 Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 13
You need the connect the Foundation to your network, and then access the Network sub-menu to see what IP address was assigned. According to the manual, you should be able to assign the IP address on the Foundation if you want a static IP address.

You're not going to the Krell website, but a web server on the Foundation.

It should be something like: http://192.168.1.009/krell/index.htm

If this is what you did, I'm not sure how you "reboot" the web server, or reload the web pages.

Here's the section in the manual:
Press the Enter button to enter the Network Setup sub menu. Press the up or down button to view the various network parameters. Press the Enter button to see the value for the displayed parameter.
IP Address: The default network discovery is DHCP. If the Foundation is connected to an active network, it automatically acquires an IP address. To enter an IP address manually, change the Foundation to Static IP operation.

Note: the MAC Address is a factory set value and is not user editable.
The Foundation processor operation and setup options are available from the built in web server. To use the web server, make sure to connect the Foundation to a network with internet access and acquire an IP address. The IP address can be found in the Network Setup sub menu. Press the Enter button twice to see the IP address of the unit. It should be similar to 192.168.1.009.

To access the web server, type yourIPaddress/krell/index.html into the web browser address bar. For the IP address above, the correct address to enter would be: 192.168.1.009/krell/index.html.
The Foundation control web page will now appear on your computer or tablet screen. Using your mouse or finger, follow the remote control or front panel instructions to operate the Foundation.
post #93 of 157 Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosoft7 View Post

Ron,
I got my Krell connected and played a movie and one song last night. But couldn't get the ARES set up, because I was unable to access the Krell website for configuring and setting up ARES. Tried the way you described, http://ip address, then copied and pasted this: "/krell/index.html", but it didn't bring anything, showing a message saying "reload". Not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please provide a step-by-step detailed process to accomplish this? My Krell was able to find the source and speaker at the first attempt anyway, I downloaded a couple of patch during software update process. No newer version is available now, it is still 1.08.
Will appreciate your help.
Thanks!

Exactly what Ron said. You dont have to use the web server though. You can do this all in the menu system.

By the way my name is Ron too.
post #94 of 157 Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Exactly what Ron said. You dont have to use the web server though. You can do this all in the menu system.

By the way my name is Ron too.

Thanks Ron & Ron!!!
I tried to use the ip address shown on my Krell and use /krell/index.html. But couldn't connect to the server. It is true Krell saved money by not providing a client app within the processor, rather asking customers to connect directly to the Server, but it's a bit of a pain in the neck (hit and miss sometimes).
However, I completely understand that we can do all the things that the server connection via a laptop will do. For me, it was just a convenience related need.
However, I tried a couple of songs and part of a movie last night. The sound was ok before running ARES (though I didn't pay too much attention at that time, so can't comment reliably). Then played a song after running ARES before setting Speakers. It was horrible! Even not close to Integra 80.2 with room correction.
Now, today I came home and set the speakers up. cross-overs 80Hz for L/R/C speakers and 90Hz for Surrounds. Played a Bob Dylan song. Sounds great so far. Was amazed with the distinct sound effects for Orchestra, Mezzanine, Front Row, General Admission! These are something so clearly different, that I started grinning ear to ear after a few minutes:D.
But again, this is just one song only. Tomorrow I will play some few more and watch a movie that I am very familiar with. Will get back with my experience then.
Meantime, while playing a blu-ray music video, I found that the color is totally messed up - over-exposed, orange glow!!! Couldn't figure out why... will check out tomorrow again and see what it looks like.
My hunch is that, the Foundation Audio will be quite good, possibly better than Marantz 8801 (not based on my own finding, but based on postings in different forums). But the setup etc. will be quite a bit of work. Once all said and done, this might be a keeper. Let's see how it goes. I do have option to move to Marantz in case I am not really impressed. So, I plan to spend some time and efforts to get the Foundation right before deciding either way.
post #95 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget http:// at the beginning. Also don't do it in a search bar. I tried like 10 times before I figured it out.

Also after you set your spkrs to the desired crossovers redo your ares room eq. If you don't you will lose a lot of your bass. Dont know why but I am sure there is a logical explanation.
post #96 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
Just a quick note from the Death Star... We love reading the feedback and do plan to update the operation of the Foundation to include some of the suggestions mentioned in earlier posts. This will be a firmware download from the Krell server. Also, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly if you are having any operational issues. The engineering team that designed the Foundation is down one hallway and the production team that builds them is down another. If there is an issue, we will get it straightened out. Thank you for the support and kind words and a special thank you to Ron for his virtual tech support!

Bill McKiegan
Krell Industries
imagic likes this.
post #97 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM

I know you could setup everything using the small display on the front, but I would rather use a laptop from my easy chair.

I wish more information was available on the setup like what's being posted now, I could of given the component a better review when I had it at my house.

if using http://192.168.1.009/krell/index.htm still didn't work you could leave off the /index.htm and let the web server use it's default. Some web sites have index.htm as a start up web page and other use default.htm, the web server should be smart enough to default to the correct one.

Ron, Is it possible for you to post screen shots of the Foundation web pages?

Thanks,
Ron
post #98 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell Ind View Post

Just a quick note from the Death Star... We love reading the feedback and do plan to update the operation of the Foundation to include some of the suggestions mentioned in earlier posts. This will be a firmware download from the Krell server. Also, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly if you are having any operational issues. The engineering team that designed the Foundation is down one hallway and the production team that builds them is down another. If there is an issue, we will get it straightened out. Thank you for the support and kind words and a special thank you to Ron for his virtual tech support!

Bill McKiegan
Krell Industries

Well Bill nice to see you on Avs. I don't know if I am the Ron you were thanking, but just in case you're welcome.

And yes it would be great if we could get the ares ironed out. And maybe a app to control the Foundation. Also don't forget about the dsd support. And a manual like the evo 707 manual.

Thank you for showing interest in your product. It is a fine sounding piece of equipment. That with a few minor tweaks will be the game changer of a lifetime. And I am very proud to own one.
post #99 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Ron pm me your email address. I can do it right off my phone. If tapatalk was working I could post it here.
post #100 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Your mileage may vary, but I had both the Marantz AV8801 and the Krell Foundation in my system, and even without having the time to properly configure the Krell, it smoked the AV8801 in the sound department.

Because I already have the Krell HTS 7.1, I'm looking for something that has the same air, transparency, and sound integration, but will also handle HDMI and the new formats; the Foundation does that well, they just need to work on the user interface side.

Bill,
Krell has always had great customer service, the people are knowledgeable and are great to work with, so welcome to AVS.

Maybe a few questions…

I don’t connect any video to my HTS 7.1, so I don’t see that as an issue with the Foundation, but it does put more pressure on a good user interface using a hand held device, do you see Krell using some of the software developed for the Connect on the Foundation?

Because the Foundation contains a web server, do you see opening it up to custom installers to develop software add-on’s to help Krell extend the user experience?

Ron
post #101 of 157 Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well fellow Avsers the man from the Death Star is the man in charge of Krell, The one and only Bill McKiegan.

Just wanted to pass that along. Figured if you wanted anything he would be the best person to ask.

I think he deserves a special shout out for coming on here and commenting.
imagic likes this.
post #102 of 157 Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Ron,

Thanks for the screen shoot (via PM), I assume it's just for after setup navigation... what features does the setup web pages have?

Thanks,
Ron
post #103 of 157 Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM

I spoke with Bill yesterday and clarified few questions and glad to see him coming in to the forum. Its great that he is responding to chatter of Krell users during their initial rough riding with this new product.
I mentioned to Bill about some of our issues regarding getting access to the krell Server to set up the processor. His responded that he never had any issue. it is true that some of us have been indeed able to get access to the server. So, I will try to play around this tonight a bit more.
So far, while using my iPad, I was able to bring up the interface that shows various action buttons, but the black screen is BLANK yet, as in case of some other folks.
I am using a boaster (Netgear brand) along with a Netgear wireless router, which is quite powerful. Also, I use WPA-2 level internet security option. Could one of these be a problem? Not sure...
Meantime, I found yesterday that my color was having a orange glow with terrible resolution. Spoke with Ray of Krell and per his suggestion, tried a different HDMI cable and the issue was resolved. This is baffling to me, as the same HDMI worked with my Integra until few days ago. This was a very ordinary HDMI, not a premium one. But yet, it was a surprising finding for me.
The other thing that I observed and wanted to share with y'all is that - while trying to use ARES, I found a couple of hits and misses, where the processor failed to identify one of the main speakers and wanted me to confirm that there is no speaker at that location! Obviously I said a resounding 'NO', and retried. After a couple of times, it finally got the message!!! similarly, ARES missed my Subwoofer a couple times. When I increased the volume of the Sub a couple of notch, Krell found it correctly... new lesson for me.
Now, if I have to artificially increase the volume of Sub, will that effect the over all SQ? Don't really know...
One important question for anyone who might know - how do we know that ARES is only working on frequencies lower than 250Hz? Is this automatically happening or do we have to define this parameters in some way? If yes, then how?
post #104 of 157 Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spoke with Bill yesterday and clarified few questions and glad to see him coming in to the forum. Its great that he is responding to chatter of Krell users during their initial rough riding with this new product.
I mentioned to Bill about some of our issues regarding getting access to the krell Server to set up the processor. His responded that he never had any issue. it is true that some of us have been indeed able to get access to the server. So, I will try to play around this tonight a bit more.
So far, while using my iPad, I was able to bring up the interface that shows various action buttons, but the black screen is BLANK yet, as in case of some other folks.
I am using a boaster (Netgear brand) along with a Netgear wireless router, which is quite powerful. Also, I use WPA-2 level internet security option. Could one of these be a problem? Not sure...
Meantime, I found yesterday that my color was having a orange glow with terrible resolution. Spoke with Ray of Krell and per his suggestion, tried a different HDMI cable and the issue was resolved. This is baffling to me, as the same HDMI worked with my Integra until few days ago. This was a very ordinary HDMI, not a premium one. But yet, it was a surprising finding for me.
The other thing that I observed and wanted to share with y'all is that - while trying to use ARES, I found a couple of hits and misses, where the processor failed to identify one of the main speakers and wanted me to confirm that there is no speaker at that location! Obviously I said a resounding 'NO', and retried. After a couple of times, it finally got the message!!! similarly, ARES missed my Subwoofer a couple times. When I increased the volume of the Sub a couple of notch, Krell found it correctly... new lesson for me.
Now, if I have to artificially increase the volume of Sub, will that effect the over all SQ? Don't really know...
One important question for anyone who might know - how do we know that ARES is only working on frequencies lower than 250Hz? Is this automatically happening or do we have to define this parameters in some way? If yes, then how?

On the ares. You have to designate 250hz when you run ares spkr eq. If you did not you ran a full eq. You can select 250hz or like three other settings. It defaults to full. You have to hit I believe the up or down arrows while the cursor is blinking.
post #105 of 157 Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks Ron!
Will attempt this tonight. Just back from work. Will have to run a couple of errands and then sit with my Krell.
What you are using as source? Is this Oppo-103 like me or something else? And what's the HDMI cable connecting your source to Krell and Krell to TV?
I am in the process of making some changes in this area. Working on it thru my dealer Steve.
post #106 of 157 Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I am using the oppo 105 for source. I am using pangea hdmi cables from oppo to Jvc 4810. Then from oppo to Foundation for audio.

If you need any help just ask in here. I ask do you have a mic stand? I wouldn't use the stand that came with the mic. I simply ran several wraps of black electric tape around the end of my mic until it fit snugly inside the mic clip that came with my stand. I also pointed the mic straight up towards the ceiling just like an audessey mic. This gave me the best results. Never put a mic on a couch cushion because it vibrates. Also if you have a projector make sure it is off.

Also the volume on your sub shouldn't have any effect on the outcome of the spkr setup.
post #107 of 157 Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:

On the ares. You have to designate 250hz when you run ares spkr eq. If you did not you ran a full eq. You can select 250hz or like three other settings. It defaults to full. You have to hit I believe the up or down arrows while the cursor is blinking.

Ron,
Tried this as per your suggestion here. Looks like when I change the EQ to 250Hz, Krell starts pinging my two front speakers only, not even go to Subwoofer. Is that supposed to happen? A bit confused! Will try again tonight.
Of course, I remember that after this sort of set up change, I might need to restart the Krell to apply the changes (just like downloading a software to a computer!).

BTW, how is the video coming for you? My video is not looking as sharp as it was with Integra. Wondering why... since I have a Oppo-103 and this source is supposed to deliver quality pictures to TV, if the processor is bypassing the video processor. I am concerned that my Sharp Elite TV will be under-utilized because of this and take away some fun.
post #108 of 157 Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just use hdmi1 out to projector. Then hdmi2 out to Foundation for audio.

And the eq thing should ping all spkrs when changed to 250 or whatever. Make sure everything is hooked up properly and also your oppo is off. Only save it to one of the three memories.
post #109 of 157 Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I just use hdmi1 out to projector. Then hdmi2 out to Foundation for audio.

And the eq thing should ping all spkrs when changed to 250 or whatever. Make sure everything is hooked up properly and also your oppo is off. Only save it to one of the three memories.

Got it - thanks Ron! Truly appreciate your help....

I started thinking about doing a similar thing this evening and on return to home, seeing your post! Pleasantly surprising coincidence!
Also thought, may be this way of connecting using two HDMI cables might produce a little better audio. Let's see.

BTW, I bought a 1m Wireworld HDMI Starlight 7 cable at a good price from my dealer Steve. He is just a great guy! Knowledgeable, reliable and helpful. Hard to find many people with a combination of all these qualities.
Will use this cable for connecting my Oppo with Krell.
I am going to my man cave now and start playing with the new toy!!!
post #110 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I started thinking about doing a similar thing this evening and on return to home, seeing your post! Pleasantly surprising coincidence!
Also thought, may be this way of connecting using two HDMI cables might produce a little better audio. Let's see.

BTW, I bought a 1m Wireworld HDMI Starlight 7 cable at a good price from my dealer Steve. He is just a great guy! Knowledgeable, reliable and helpful. Hard to find many people with a combination of all these qualities.

That will definitely fix the video problem. However I do have hdmi for video passing through the Foundation with my directv box and it looks good.

Get back to me on the ares issue with not pinging all your spkrs. Make sure if you have multiple amps they are all on. And also make sure your sub is not on auto sensing and to slow to come on. It doesn't ping the sub for long. It could skip right over it.
post #111 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
Quote:

HDMI cables are a touchy subject (as are audiophile USB cables).

I do love high-end gear but when it comes to HDMI cables, but there is simply no excuse for any claim of superior performance. In fact, even HDMI 2.0 won't require a cable upgrade, even though cable manufacturers will claim otherwise.

As far as the Starlight cable is concerned, the claim that bugs me is this one:
Quote:
"WireWorld’s... HDMI® cables provide faster transmission than conventional HDMI® cable designs, thus enabling standard lengths of WireWorld cables to produce lifelike sound and imaging that other cables can only match if they are made substantially shorter."

and..."While the material and design upgrades of the higher models provide real sonic and visual improvements, all of the cables provide the enhanced definition, depth and contrast"- source
The simple fact is HDMI either works, or it does not work. There is no performance degradation due to "transmission speed."

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #112 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Mark, I hear you.
Have done quite a bit of reading and spoke with a couple of my friends who had engineering background and I agree with you completely about the science behind it.
Lots and lots of folks are saying the same thing - either HDMI cable will work or will not work, and it would be clearly and instantly visible.
In my case, one of old cable started giving me trouble and so, I got into this brave new world of "Wireworld Starlight". The rationale behind this is not a unrealistic expectation that it will truly dramatically improve my picture, but due to a couple of other reasons.
Reason 1. I myself would like to try and once for all prove to myself that, all factors being constant, HDMI alone can have no noticeable impact on PQ or for that matter, on digitally transported SQ.
Reason 2. After buying this new piece "Krell", I suddenly got a bit excited, may be!
Reason 3. Even though the PQ/SQ might not improve visibly, the quality of the product and look and feel of the cable has some tangible value, though this value differs from person to person. Yet, we have to agree that the built quality really warrants a bit higher price. That's why some of us ride a Camry, and some others Lexus to drive the same 20 miles to work daily. Here, I am the '1' and my laptop is the '0' who are being transported from point A to B in one piece!
Reason 4. The better-built cable is more likely last longer, or at the least, will provide better/tighter connectivity for an extended period of time compared to the cheapo one.

Last, but not least, to off-set my lighter wallet, I bought a 2m cable from 'my cable mart' for $27.50. This one I plan to use for connecting Krell to the TV, where only the video will be transported! So, in average, I am not looking that bad I guess...
post #113 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

That will definitely fix the video problem. However I do have hdmi for video passing through the Foundation with my directv box and it looks good.

Get back to me on the ares issue with not pinging all your spkrs. Make sure if you have multiple amps they are all on. And also make sure your sub is not on auto sensing and to slow to come on. It doesn't ping the sub for long. It could skip right over it.
Ron,
I got the ARES setting done using 250Hz option. Will try the other options tonight as well.
Now, here is something I would like to share with all my good fellow Krell friends - when running ARES using FULL Range, the pining to the speakers are different than as happens with 250Hz. In the later case, the pings go on for sometime, almost like 6/7 times back and forth between Front L/R and Surround L/R speakers.
In my case, I cancelled the process after hearing few times of pinging between the L/R Front speakers. I did this at least 2/3 times. Finally, quite by chance, I decided to wait and look and behold (!), the process continued with the Center and Surround speakers and got completed.
This is where a comprehensive user manual comes handy. Many of us will not be able to figure out that the pinging is different in these two cases!
However, I am happy that it worked.
My system started sounding impressively better now! Played the "Flying Draggers", the scene where the guy throws corn-like things on the drums. Amazing!
Also a couple of scenes in another movies had scenes of opening the doors. Those sounded like really being there, standing beside the door and hearing it first hand, not like the sound is recorded and being played back!
So far - happy ... quite happy.
post #114 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Mark, I hear you.
Have done quite a bit of reading and spoke with a couple of my friends who had engineering background and I agree with you completely about the science behind it.
Lots and lots of folks are saying the same thing - either HDMI cable will work or will not work, and it would be clearly and instantly visible.
In my case, one of old cable started giving me trouble and so, I got into this brave new world of "Wireworld Starlight". The rationale behind this is not a unrealistic expectation that it will truly dramatically improve my picture, but due to a couple of other reasons.
Reason 1. I myself would like to try and once for all prove to myself that, all factors being constant, HDMI alone can have no noticeable impact on PQ or for that matter, on digitally transported SQ.
Reason 2. After buying this new piece "Krell", I suddenly got a bit excited, may be!
Reason 3. Even though the PQ/SQ might not improve visibly, the quality of the product and look and feel of the cable has some tangible value, though this value differs from person to person. Yet, we have to agree that the built quality really warrants a bit higher price. That's why some of us ride a Camry, and some others Lexus to drive the same 20 miles to work daily. Here, I am the '1' and my laptop is the '0' who are being transported from point A to B in one piece!
Reason 4. The better-built cable is more likely last longer, or at the least, will provide better/tighter connectivity for an extended period of time compared to the cheapo one.

Last, but not least, to off-set my lighter wallet, I bought a 2m cable from 'my cable mart' for $27.50. This one I plan to use for connecting Krell to the TV, where only the video will be transported! So, in average, I am not looking that bad I guess...

I'm all for spending money on nice construction, good design, yada yada! My weakness is sneakers. biggrin.gif

And yeah, the foundation sounded so good when I heard it, I'd be just as excited if I had just bought one.

post #115 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks! for sharing all.

I really like the newest Krell products hitting the market. Additionally, it is good to know that these products jive well w/ Wireworld cabling.
post #116 of 157 Old 09-20-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Thanks! for sharing all.

I really like the newest Krell products hitting the market. Additionally, it is good to know that these products jive well w/ Wireworld cabling.

...and every other brand of HDMI cable, so long as it is not defective.

post #117 of 157 Old 09-21-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Prosoft glad it finally worked for you.

Yes folks the sound of the Foundation is awesome. Especially when getting it set up properly.

I should have remembered about ares going back and forth a lot to equalize the stereo pairs.

Going to the theater now is a huge let down. Granted before the Foundation I could tolerate the local Regal Cinema. Just went and saw the Wolverine and it is not even close anymore. The dynamic range the dialog intelligibility and the shear impact of the presentation is just not even close. With the Foundation, when properly set up it is just awesome.
post #118 of 157 Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Today I am going to play and compare first hand between Integra 80.2 and Krell Foundation.
Also compare between Audioquest Vodka, Audioquest Cinnamon, Wireworld SSH 7 Startlight and one ordinary run-in-mill HDMI cable.
In the first case, I am expecting to find noticeable, identifiable differences. (BTW, there is a huge variable in this whole experiment - my EARs. I can not claim, in any way, that I have a golden ear.)
In the 2nd case, I am NOT expecting any clearly identifiable difference. But yet, I think, a moderately priced HDMI cable is not at all a complete waste for most of the folks like us due to its superior built quality, impressive look and pride in ownership. Of course, spending $1500 for a 1m HDMI is way over the top for most people. But again, if someone has a earning of $300m a year, is not expected to buy a $15 HDMI cable. If not for any other reason, just because of the fact that, purchasing-power-wise, that persons $1500 is worth way less than someone else's $15!
So, no matter what I find, I am not going to ridicule any expensive HDMI cable because of a variety of reasons.
Let the game begin!!!
post #119 of 157 Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Prosoft glad it finally worked for you.

Yes folks the sound of the Foundation is awesome. Especially when getting it set up properly.

I should have remembered about ares going back and forth a lot to equalize the stereo pairs.

Going to the theater now is a huge let down. Granted before the Foundation I could tolerate the local Regal Cinema. Just went and saw the Wolverine and it is not even close anymore. The dynamic range the dialog intelligibility and the shear impact of the presentation is just not even close. With the Foundation, when properly set up it is just awesome.

Ron,
I have an idea. Since we understand and agree that setting up a processor properly is a hugely important factor in the overall SQ/PQ of a system, why not some of us post our configuration and share with each other. This way, all of us can learn a bit from each other and tweak our systems, if needed, to leverage the maximum benefit our of our gears! Even though our individual speakers and sources would be different, some of the parameters/options will be global in nature, and might be applicable in almost all cases.
So far, I have never seen any comprehensive End-2-End configuration details with specific parameters. If we do it, this will be first of its kind and might add some value to our this forum.
Say what?

P.S. I have stopped going to Theater for quite sometime, now only go in those cases where the movies might look good in iMAX, like Avatar, Star Trek etc.
post #120 of 157 Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ron,
I have an idea. Since we understand and agree that setting up a processor properly is a hugely important factor in the overall SQ/PQ of a system, why not some of us post our configuration and share with each other. This way, all of us can learn a bit from each other and tweak our systems, if needed, to leverage the maximum benefit our of our gears! Even though our individual speakers and sources would be different, some of the parameters/options will be global in nature, and might be applicable in almost all cases.
So far, I have never seen any comprehensive End-2-End configuration details with specific parameters. If we do it, this will be first of its kind and might add some value to our this forum.
Say what?

P.S. I have stopped going to Theater for quite sometime, now only go in those cases where the movies might look good in iMAX, like Avatar, Star Trek etc.

Sounds good to me. Right now though I am finding no time for much. My house is in chaos.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page