Logitech Debuts Two Harmony Remotes - Ultimate and Smart Control - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ian, I have to say the more I have used the Ultimate the more I like it. The updated menu and the pull down swipe screen make the skip functions much better then they were with the Touch. I also appreciate the changes to the back lets the remote sit a little more natural in your hand.

One problem I used to have with the Touch was always launching the Help by accident and that has been corrected by the updated menu.

The ability to have the Remote and the IPhone control my Home Theater at the same time and maintain synch is a huge plus. I like to have the Ruko on with my AVR and manually turn off the TV when listing to Pandora and the Hub is keeping track of that manual shut off of the TV. The Hub Knows to turn the TV back on when I change activities or shut down the system without turning the TV back on.

One question I have is it seems that the Ultimate is a quasi combining of the Harmony Touch and the Harmony Link with changes to the UI on the remote and the RF for the Hub. One thing I liked about the Link was the expanded UI it offered with the IPad. Are there any plans to expand the IPhone app to a fuller featured IPad app as well? Thanks JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

One other question, is there any place on the support web site to find a full User's manual with more detail information on menu use and more advanced set up? I was looking and only saw the quick set up guide. Thanks again JT
Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Thanks for the posting, Ian. I really liked my One and didn't like what I saw/heard on the Touch. This Ultimate sounds like my next one biggrin.gif
Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 13
Ian,

Thanks very much for participating in this thread. I currently have a Touch, which I purchased as a replacement for a defunct 900. I am pleased to hear that a hub will be available for it in late summer. Can you also confirm that a firmware update to the Touch will give some of the other features the Ultimate now offers over the Touch? Specifically, I'm most interested in whether the physical fast forward and reverse keys will in fact also be chapter advance and reverse keys, depending on the length of press. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 18
Hi jcdrisco

Yes, when the FW update is available in the summer, it will include the latest on-screen user interface changes as well as the dual-function button mapping (short and long press). By default we apply this dual mapping to a few select keys (FF, REW, Ch +/-) but any button can be remapped this way in myharmony.com.

Ian.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Ian. I have a few questions for you. I just got a Touch as a replacement unit for a One with a swollen battery. When I was speaking to customer support I was told that the standalone hub would only be available in case the original had to be replaced. The person I spoke to said the Touch would not work with the hub. I'm planning to buy the Smart control package. Would both the Touch and the remote that comes with the smart control be able to work with the hub or is it one or the other? Also, if the Touch does get an update, would that mean the screen would be like the Ultimate? For example, would the Touch then be able to show multiple activities per screen instead of the one allowed now? Would it be better to just wait and get the hub on its own?
Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

Not enough hard buttons on this one for me. I'll stick with the Harmony One if they keep making it. Best remote I've found so far.

I agree..I now have mine almost 3 years and it's been dropped almost everyday on hardwood floors.

It's the best as far as I'm concerned !

See My AVS Classified Ad .
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will keep an eye on this product but stick to the One and 7.7 desktop software until forced to change. The reduction in hard buttons to soft keys is too severe with the Touch/Ultimate designs. Smart Phone or iPad capabilties, while cool, are not that attactive for heavy users of a dedicated HT remote (IMO).

I have a 720, 880, One, and manage several One's for friends so I hope the accounts mapped to the 7.7 software are left unaltered for quite a while....
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm not sure that there's much of a reduction in hard buttons with this remote. I can say that with most devices I either use FF/RW or Next/Previous, so I can prioritize those. In the rare cases I need both they'll still be accessible via long presses. Other than that the only thing I see missing are the number keys. I use those so rarely I think it'll be fine to have soft keys for them, especially since I rarely use them without looking. Really the only time I use number keys is for changing channels, and that's easier done with programming favorites. The only thing that might be an issue is the unconventional layout of the hard buttons and touch screen.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Hi all
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post

Hi Ian. I have a few questions for you. I just got a Touch as a replacement unit for a One with a swollen battery. When I was speaking to customer support I was told that the standalone hub would only be available in case the original had to be replaced. The person I spoke to said the Touch would not work with the hub. I'm planning to buy the Smart control package. Would both the Touch and the remote that comes with the smart control be able to work with the hub or is it one or the other? Also, if the Touch does get an update, would that mean the screen would be like the Ultimate? For example, would the Touch then be able to show multiple activities per screen instead of the one allowed now? Would it be better to just wait and get the hub on its own?
Thanks for all the info.

The hub will definitely be available on its own as an upgrade for Harmony Touch owners. I don't have an exact date yet, but our plan is this summer. And yes, the FW update that makes Touch compatible with the Hub will include the new on-screen menus seen on Ultimate. Also at this time, you'll be able to use both an Ultimate/Touch remote and a Smart Control remote with the same hub at the same time.

The battery on both Harmony Touch and Harmony Ultimate can be removed with a little effort for recycling purposes but is not designed to be user-replaceable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

I'm not sure that there's much of a reduction in hard buttons with this remote. I can say that with most devices I either use FF/RW or Next/Previous, so I can prioritize those. In the rare cases I need both they'll still be accessible via long presses. Other than that the only thing I see missing are the number keys. I use those so rarely I think it'll be fine to have soft keys for them, especially since I rarely use them without looking. Really the only time I use number keys is for changing channels, and that's easier done with programming favorites. The only thing that might be an issue is the unconventional layout of the hard buttons and touch screen.

Although removing hard buttons in favor of touch is always the subject of intense debate within our team and with our users, we do feel that the use of favorite channels ultimately offers the better experience. And for Harmony Touch and Ultimate, creating and managing favorites is so much easier than it was for Harmony One. Channel mapping (which number = which channel) is automatic based on where you live and which TV service you use and the icons are provided by default.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Ian,

Great to have someone like you participate in the forums at last. I wish Logitech had done this years ago. It's also great to have sequences back. What exactly caused your temporary insanity when this feature was cut from your flagship 900 and 1100 three years ago? I think cutting core features like this is what partially contributed to your failure in the market, hence the sale of your division. I hope whomever was responsible for this fiasco is no longer with the company. I'd hate to see this kind of poor judgement continue when you are sold, especially since you are making such great strides now.

I have a few more questions as well.
  • You claim that myharmony is equal or better than the desktop software now. But I see very little evidence of this. All the missing features I identified in the beta nearly 3 years ago are still missing for most models: no sequences (except on the Touch/Ultimate), no additional activity start/end commands, no delays/repeats adjustment, no reorder of activities, no renaming devices, no pronto hex import (members.harmonyremote.com). Is there any hope these features will ever be added to myharmony, especially for the lower end models (600/650/700)?
  • When will the Smart Control be released?
  • Does the Ultimate/Touch/Smart RF base use Zigbee protocols?
  • Can long and short presses be assigned to soft buttons as well as hard buttons? Any chance this feature will eventually make it into the 650?
  • Bulk import of pronto hex codes is a somewhat painful process at the moment using Concordance. Any chance this feature will ever be added to myharmony?

Thanks. Forgive me if I'm a little blunt, but it's been painful to see the Harmony line systematically destroyed these past few years. But I'm very grateful to see all the positive developments lately. So please solve the sequence mystery for me at last. And keep up the good work. This latest rollout looks phenomenal.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I agree. The first time i saw the newer design I thought there were less hard buttons.. but if you look at the ultimate and the one pictures side by side, the only hard buttons I don't see on the ultimate are the number buttons..which I personally hardly ever use.

The ultimate even has the 4 colored buttons that you previously had to get the 900 instead of the one One to get.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

I agree. The first time i saw the newer design I thought there were less hard buttons.. but if you look at the ultimate and the one pictures side by side, the only hard buttons I don't see on the ultimate are the number buttons..which I personally hardly ever use.

The ultimate even has the 4 colored buttons that you previously had to get the 900 instead of the one One to get.
The One is missing skip buttons too?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The One is missing skip buttons too?
You long press for those.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You long press for those.
I was being facetious. In any case, I think I would put skip on short press so I could stack them and ffwd/rew on long press, since those are longer operations anyway. I still prefer actual buttons to multi-function ones. Guests won't know how to use them unless you explain. But I have to admit, it was a creative solution on Logitech's part that didn't require an expensive hardware redesign. Just wish they had done it right the first time and kept the buttons. Why do they have to take away features every time they add new ones.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I posted this in the Harmony Ultimate, Smart Control and Hub forum and want to share here as well.

Guys, I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get my hands on the Harmony Ultimate prior to its release last week. I have been using it for the past week and have put together some of my thoughts based on my other past Harmony remotes and wanted to share them with the group. I am not an advanced User and my experience is more from the general Users point of view. Hope the information is helpfull. JT

Current thoughts on the Harmony Ultimate Remote from Logitech
May 13, 2013

At the end of April I received an promotional email from Logitech indicating if I were one of the first fifty people to respond I would receive a free Harmony Ultimate Remote. I replied right away and sure enough I received the remote. All Logitech asked in return was to use the remote and provide feedback on it. Here are my impressions so far.

The Harmony Ultimate is a new universal remote from Logitech and is a big step forward from the Harmony Touch which was introduced last year. The Ultimate and the Touch share the same body and button layout. What sets the Ultimate a part from Touch for me are the updated menus, the ability to assign multiple commands to the same physical buttons, the mobile apps for ISO and Android OS and the RF functionality with the included Hub.

There are many changes to the menus on the Ultimate which remove some of the major complaints with the menus on the Harmony Touch. One issue with the Touch was the placement of the “Help” button on the top of the touch screen. When using the transport buttons on Harmony Touch my thumb would often touch the Help and it would be launched inadvertently. Another annoyance was that I would have to drill into the menu to bring up the swipe functions. It seems that Logitech has listen to User’s recommandations and has designed the new menu on the Harmony Ultimate to be more logical and User friendly. The Swipe function now has its own dedicated arrow which launches the Swipe function by dragging the arrow up from the bottom of the screen with your thumb. The Help function has been moved to the main menu and removes the accidental hijacking of the remote’s functions by simply resting your thumb below the transport buttons. The remote also vibrates when one of the soft buttons on the touch screen is selected.

One of the biggest complaints with the Harmony Touch was the limited hard buttons to control the remote. Not having a physical buttons for the skip forward and skip backward functions was for most a deal breaker. All non hard buttons on the Touch were housed with in the remote’s touch screen or menu and required the User to divert their eyes from what they were watching and look at the remote to key enter a command. This was fine for all advanced functions that were not needed by the User for general operation. To remedy the lack of hard buttons, Harmony has provided the ability for the User to designate two commands for each hard button. The User can now assign a short tap for one command and a long tap for another for the same button. This new functionality allows the operator to assign a short tap to the” >>” button to control the Skip forward and a long tap for the fast forward operation. This repurposing of the hard buttons expands the hard buttons available for the User to assign and removes the need to divert the eyes from the screen. So now the User has two methods to skip forward and backward; use the swipe on the screen or a set up the dual tap method on the remotes physical buttons. Using either method is very easy and doesn’t detract from the User’s experience with the Ultimate. It should also be noted that the updated menu and dual button functionality will be available to the Harmony Touch as a firmware update sometime this summer according to Logitech as will the RF functions as well.

The Ultimate also has a mobile app which turns your smart phone into a remote with the included Hub. This is good step forward and is very similar to the Harmony Link that was out a couple of years ago that worked with Smart phones running IOS and Android and also with expanded operations on the IPad. However if you used the Link in combination with the Harmony One for example, the system would be out of synch and would cause chaos with your equipment. The new Harmony Ultimate Hub handles all the work of synching the equipment between the IPhone and the Ultimate remote to ensure smooth operations. I have only used the Iphone and IPad and have yet to try the Android app. There is currently no IPad app, however the IPhone app works on the IPad though it is some what basic compared with the old Harmony Link application that is available for the IPad.

The new RF capabilities really set this remote apart from the other IR remotes that Harmony or other manufacturers have. The ability to have your equipment behind closed cabinet doors or in an AV closet is great. I no longer have to point the remote at the equipment or worry about line of site when executing a command. The Ultimate allows you to make configuration changes on the fly within the remotes own menu. You can also use the web application to make configuration changes to the remote and synch all change whether completed on the remote or the web GUI without connecting the remote to the computer. This is very convenient.

I currently have several Harmony remotes that include the 676, 510, 650, Harmony One, Harmony Link, Harmony Touch and now the Harmony Ultimate. I have always recommended the Harmony line of remotes to my friends and have used the Harmony One as my standard to compare all other remotes to. When the Harmony Touch was introduced last year it had a very good build quality, but there where things that just didn’t measure up to the Harmony One. The lack of skip forward and skip backward hard buttons for instance. The awkward touch screen and the somewhat confusing menu made it hard for me to recommend it. The new Ultimate has changed that and I find myself wanting to use it more and more. It is for these reasons that would recommend this remote. The new web application is also much better and allows the User to carry multiple Harmony remotes with in the same User profile.
Evergreen4 and vivatech like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 11
Is Logitech planning to offer Link owners a trade in or trade up program?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I currently have and use half a dozen older harmony remotes, the Harmony One being the newest. The big concern I have is with the future of Harmony remotes and the Logitech online services. Logitech previous announced they want to sell of the Harmony division and they seemed to be saying they have set a deadline, or perhaps just a goal, to complete the sale by the end of this year. The Harmony remotes (at least the models I own) are fully dependent on having the online support for making any updates to the remote's program for devices or individual commands. As I understand it, if this web service were to go away no further changes can be made to your remote, even learning new commands from another remote would not be possible since the programming for your specific remote is stored in the online data base and must first be changed in that data base and then downloaded into your Harmony remote.

So as great as some of the new features/capabilities appear to be with the new "smart" Harmony remotes, I want to see some clear path forward fthe company (i.e., Logitech or whoever buys Harmony from Logitech) before buying another one..
CMonMan likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Are these new remotes as slow as the Harmony One?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post

Are these new remotes as slow as the Harmony One?

It is very responsive. Very little delay if any at all.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 AM

I had a chance to see the Harmony Ultimate in person at BB last weekend. It looked and more importantly felt very impressive.

This remote seems very well thought out, especially with both RF & IR but no crazy programming. I'd like to get it since I think it can solve a lot of my remote issues.

I'm really impressed with the remote from a design point of view. The minimal use of hardware buttons, and those that are used, are all fairly generic enough to have multiple uses. Love that it has a touch screen interface instead of a screen surround by a bunch of selection buttons; and most of all the ability to use my iOS/Android device as a remote.

All these things to me mean the remote can be adaptable as my devices and technologies change over time. (no i don't work for logitech)

My goal is to have a TV in the family room controlled by one remote and no wires exposed anywhere. everything will be in the walls. The cable box, PS3/BlueRay player and Apple TV will sit in a "media box" directly one floor below in the basement - directly below where the tv is in the ground floor. I'll also have Netflix - which I can get to directly through my TV and a HTPC which'll stream directly to my TV from my Mac using PLEX and with a DLNA/PLEX client on the TV or on my PS3.

If everything works right, I'd like to control the TV using IR and have everything else control via RF and the hub. All the media sources will be connected to my TV by Wi-Fi or Cat 6 cable to the TV.

I have a few questions for Ian ("HarmonyIan") or anyone else who's already done the same.

1. What is the RF range between the remote and the hub?

2. With 3 devices will the two ir repeaters be enough or do i need one per device?

3. Will the RF work when the TV and cable and other devices are on two different floors?

4. If the distance is too much is there a RF range extender I can buy for this remote? I think I saw one by Harmony.

5. can I buy just an extra physical remote if i wanted to?

6. Will the app version on my smart phone have the same full functionality as the remote? the big question can I entirely not use the physical remote if i want to and instead just use the app version?

7. (nice-to-have) Can I use the physical remote on one tv and use the iOS app for another tv in another part of the house? That way my wife can use the physical remote in the family room always while i'll can just use the app for the other tv in the house. - this will mean the remote less likely wander off.

8. (nice-to-have) Can I control multiple TVs with one instance of the app on one phone?

9. (double-bonus-points) is there any way to be able to locate the remote if its lost from the app version, or by logging into Harmony? It'd be cool if you can send a repeating beep like the "find my phone" function for IOS devices.

Looking forward to the answers, since I really think this is the solution for me.

Thanks in advance,

George
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

George, I keep my hub in an enclosed rackmount case that is all metal in a room next to where the TV is located. The RF has no trouble transmitting through the wall and the case. So if your devices are in the room directly below the TV I think there's a very good chance it'll work fine. Also, with the IR emitters you can probably position them so that one of them blasts multiple devices without much trouble.

I can't say much about your other questions, I'm sure Ian will comment soon, but some of them have been discussed here.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the link Keith, I'll check for the answers I'm looking for.

I'm hoping your right about range - since this is one sweet remote and it actually looks nice too.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Hi George, see my answers to your questions below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJVT60 View Post

My goal is to have a TV in the family room controlled by one remote and no wires exposed anywhere. everything will be in the walls. The cable box, PS3/BlueRay player and Apple TV will sit in a "media box" directly one floor below in the basement - directly below where the tv is in the ground floor. I'll also have Netflix - which I can get to directly through my TV and a HTPC which'll stream directly to my TV from my Mac using PLEX and with a DLNA/PLEX client on the TV or on my PS3.

If everything works right, I'd like to control the TV using IR and have everything else control via RF and the hub. All the media sources will be connected to my TV by Wi-Fi or Cat 6 cable to the TV.

I have a few questions for Ian ("HarmonyIan") or anyone else who's already done the same.

1. What is the RF range between the remote and the hub?
RF range is very dependent on the operating environment, and is affected by other RF interference as well as wall and cabinet materials, furniture, etc.

Quote:
2. With 3 devices will the two ir repeaters be enough or do i need one per device?
if your media box is open, you should be able to control all 3 of your devices just using the Hub, without the need for any mini blasters. If each of your 3 devices is in its own enclosed space, the Hub and each mini blaster can operate one of the devices. Either way, you should be good.

Quote:
3. Will the RF work when the TV and cable and other devices are on two different floors?
See #1. Unless your home and media cabinet have very unusual construction, I would expect this to work.

Quote:
4. If the distance is too much is there a RF range extender I can buy for this remote? I think I saw one by Harmony.
There are no options to extend the RF range between the remote and the Hub.

Quote:
5. can I buy just an extra physical remote if i wanted to?
Do you mean to have two Harmony Ultimate remotes controlling a single Hub? That is not currently in our plans. Later this summer though, after we launch Harmony Smart Control, you will be able to have an Ultimate remote and a Smart Control remote (the little one with no screen) both paired with a single Hub. If on the other hand you just want another remote and aren't concerned about connecting to the Hub, Harmony Touch is a great option.

Quote:
6. Will the app version on my smart phone have the same full functionality as the remote? the big question can I entirely not use the physical remote if i want to and instead just use the app version?
The app currently doesn't quite do everything the remote does, but it will. All of the basics are there including activity and device control, gesture controls, etc but many of the settings adjustments aren't there yet. Some will arrive in an app update later this month coinciding with the launch of Harmony Smart Control, others will come in future updates beyond that.

Quote:
7. (nice-to-have) Can I use the physical remote on one tv and use the iOS app for another tv in another part of the house? That way my wife can use the physical remote in the family room always while i'll can just use the app for the other tv in the house. - this will mean the remote less likely wander off.
Not sure I follow you. Is this related to #5? For each TV, where are the other devices connected to it (DVR, Bluray, etc)? If each 'system' is in a different room, a single Harmony Hub won't control both of them. You would potentially need two Harmony Ultimates if you want all the features available for both entertainment systems. Or, if for one of the systems, all the devices are in the same room and you don't need RF control, Bluetooth control and smartphone control, you could use a Harmony Touch in that room. Or, in a few weeks, Harmony Smart Control will be available which is kind of like Harmony Ultimate (remote+app+hub) but the remote is more basic, without the touch screen, favorite channels, gestures, etc. This might make a nice second remote for another room.

If you can describe your goals a bit more, I and others can offer some suggestions.

Quote:
8. (nice-to-have) Can I control multiple TVs with one instance of the app on one phone?
Yes, depending on your setup. With a single phone, you can easily swap between different Hubs, where each Hub controls a different entertainment system. Or, if your two entertainment systems can be controlled with a single Hub even better. You can just set up different activities for each entertainment system. This would be a little unusual, but it would totally work.

Quote:
9. (double-bonus-points) is there any way to be able to locate the remote if its lost from the app version, or by logging into Harmony? It'd be cool if you can send a repeating beep like the "find my phone" function for IOS devices.
Are you my boss in disguise? He's been on me for this for a while ;-). Seriously, it's a cool feature, but not currently available. There's no 'beeper' on the Ultimate remote. We could enable the feature using the haptic buzzing which might get your attention if you were close enough to it, but an actual audio beep would work much better.

Quote:
Looking forward to the answers, since I really think this is the solution for me.

Thanks in advance,

George

Hope the answers help.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Ian thank you very much for taking the time to respond and in such helpful detail.

I was going to try and quote in line but it was too crazy ...

You've definitely addressed most of my questions.

As far as #7 - "Can I use the physical remote on one tv and use the iOS app for another tv in another part of the house? "

I wanted to know if I wanted to can I use just the app and never have to rely on the actual remote for some functionality not possible through the app?

So if i understand this correctly the rule of thumb here is "one hub" per "system". My confusion is if I have a cable box and an apple tv that is shared among two or more TVs how is a "system" defined? How many hubs would i need then.

I'll have multiple TVs sharing 4 media sources/devices with the assumption that its unlikely we will contend for media from the same media device at the same time on different TVs.

Thanks again.

-George
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just revisited this thread, and am becoming more interested in these new releases.
I am currently very happy with my ONE.

However; I am also getting the bug to replace it with an I-pad mini. Seems the new smart control may be just the ticket?
I'm not a nearly adopter, but will definitely be following along to monitor the roll-out of the new "smart control"

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

One of the biggest complaints with the Harmony Touch was the limited hard buttons to control the remote. Not having a physical buttons for the skip forward and skip backward functions was for most a deal breaker. All non hard buttons on the Touch were housed with in the remote’s touch screen or menu and required the User to divert their eyes from what they were watching and look at the remote to key enter a command. This was fine for all advanced functions that were not needed by the User for general operation.

To remedy the lack of hard buttons, Harmony has provided the ability for the User to designate two commands for each hard button. The User can now assign a short tap for one command and a long tap for another for the same button. This new functionality allows the operator to assign a short tap to the” >>” button to control the Skip forward and a long tap for the fast forward operation. This repurposing of the hard buttons expands the hard buttons available for the User to assign and removes the need to divert the eyes from the screen. So now the User has two methods to skip forward and backward; use the swipe on the screen or a set up the dual tap method on the remotes physical buttons. Using either method is very easy and doesn’t detract from the User’s experience with the Ultimate.

BIG FAIL on addressing the "not enough buttons" issue, imo. I can barely get my extended family to understand a normal remote and the buttons they can see, now they have to scroll around on a touch screen looking for something or use "hidden buttons" such as long pressing? Unintuitive!!

I want the layout/form factor of the Harmony 650 but with RF so I can use the Hub. Zero touch screen! Way to alienate customers, Logitech. Time to switch to Universal Remote Control devices!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What happens when the Smart Control gets out of sync with the gear states and needs Help? There's no help button on that remote.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

What buttons do you feel are missing vivatech? There's been a lot of discussion of the missing skip/back buttons, but I'm finding the swipe feature to work fine for those. Other than those two I haven't missed any buttons at all. I don't need a keypad 99.5% of the time, and the touchscreen works fine when I need it. And there aren't that many screens that you have to go through. You can also set the default screen that shows up when an activity is selected. I don't see how a remote with all the buttons of a URC remote can in any way less intimidating then what Logitech has done. You can quickly look at an Ultimate and grasp where all the major functions are. I've used a wide variety of remotes in my time, and I'm an advocate of hard buttons so I can use a remote without looking at it, and I can use the Ultimate for common tasks without having to look at it.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM

So I couldnt hold out any longer and I went out and got the Ultimate today.

Initial setup(wifi connection, setting up app, registering devices) was pretty easy. Connecting to the hub required one reset by pulling out the power. After that it was fine.

The trouble started at trying to see favorites on the remote. Setting up an activity to watch cable tv seemed fine but learned later I incorrectly used the "Custom Activity" to setup watch regular cable tv. It must be the "Watch TV" activity.

The online wizard documentation was sending me around in circles but the toll free help was a life saver! They actually knew answers to every single thing I asked about. Very patient. They walked me through the whole process and they were able to monitor what I had on my harmony.com as i spoke to them.

when the dust settles down maybe they can give lessons to comcast support. rolleyes.gif

fwiw here's what I learned (today):

It does work from upstairs while my controls were downstairs. Soo relieved. I really didn't want to spend more than a $1000 dollars for some RC that looked like a relic from the first star trek tv show.

1. Do not use "custom activity" for to setup a activity to watch regular cable TV.

2. Use only the "Watch TV" activity for setting up watching regular cable box.

3. Once done go back to "Favorites" in the left hand menu on myharmony.com and follow the wizard to find oyu cable provider. Then simply click on a row to make sure the star is orange to indicate its a favorite. be sure to synch to the RC and the app when your done.

4. the watch TV icon on your rc shoudl not be pressed if oyur already watching tv. I thought it was a top level menu item. instead just swipe right to the next screen to see you favorites.

5. After setting up the "Watch TV" as an activity, select "Watch Additional TV" for setting up your tv to watch Apple TV.

6. for any channels that have missing icons go to http://iconharmony.com/icons/home to download from the selection. Then upload them in the ui on my harmony.com

The ui and the interaction is well thought out. The support staff - again - reeeally know their stuff cold. I do think it needs to be documented - There was no way I was figuring out what was wrong with my activity setup without talking to somebody. The person I spoke mentioned they are in the middle of doing that. If they offer this level of support I okay with that - since I got this remote earlier because they didn't wait for documentation.

Tags
Logitech , Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control
User Tag List