Logitech Debuts Two Harmony Remotes - Ultimate and Smart Control - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 253 Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a fairly spartan media setup yet it does everything I'd ask of a media centre, the Harmony Smart.
WMC7, Denon AVR & AppleTV3. Simple yet very effective.

As a bonus apparently it's possible to control WMC with bluetooth.
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/htd0602xa0000r01.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 Old 01-02-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I have a Harmony One now and a 659 before. Really like the One but the idea of the Smart Control was too much to resist so I went out and bought one with the remote.

1- works really well and the remote is fine
2- setting this up was overly complicated. In fact it was a nightmare and I had to complete it by hooking the base to my Mac. Instructions were poor. I can't imagine anyone with no Harmony experience performing the setup.
3- once you do get it set up then the unit is fantastic. Love the ability to define two purposes for most keys. Nice size for the remote too.

4- as good as the Smart Control is I returned it and got the Harmony Ultimate. The Smart Control remote would have been great had it been backlit. Also, the 8 device limit is odd.

5- importing settings from my Harmony One was easy on the first try but then after having to reset things I was unable to import anything. It seems to only work once . Documentation is really missing. myharmony.com would not let me complete the setup. I felt like smashing the unit. I hooked it up to my Mac. Didn't work until I unplugged and rebooted the computer. myharmony.com with its outdated Silverlight and crazy browser plugin permissions is a disaster until you get things working.

Tonight I will set up the Ultimate. Hopefully it will be smoother. I have never been through such a convoluted setup as with the Smart Control. To be fair, I didn't read the manual which was not something available when I went through the process.

Great product, really, but I absolutely abhor the setup instructions. And importing settings from my older Harmony One was more luck than anything else. Who knows if I still can?

I highly recommend either product, especially the Smart Control if backlighting is not important.

Sorry for the over the top comments about the setup. I have never seen anything like it.

Philip
post #243 of 253 Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroomelectro View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look into it today. I wonder if it can wake up the WMC via Bluetooth.

Okay for wish number two: I wish the Harmony Smart could control my AppleTV3 via Bluetooth. smile.gif

You can, add it as a function.

I just set mine up the other day, it works awesome.
post #244 of 253 Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 567
a great product with a horrendous set up is not a great product.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #245 of 253 Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM

As remotes go it's currently the cream of the crop. The web interface IMHO is easier than the iOS interface for initial setup. You basically plug in your equipment list and it'll generally work. Now tweaking it to work the way you want it to work might take some time. If you really wanted to you could treat it like a simple dumb IR learning remote.

Could Harmony's software be better, of course. Is there better out there now? Not that I'm aware of.
post #246 of 253 Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

As remotes go it's currently the cream of the crop.

Could Harmony's software be better, of course. Is there better out there now? Not that I'm aware of.
I wouldn't go quite that far. It's a nice, simple RF remote, and the smart phone aspect is a great bonus. But it's far too limited to deserve cream status (only 8 activities, no variables, subroutines or conditional branching, no pronto hex import, no display, no direct IR, only 2 functions per button, requires a smart phone for any additional functions or favorites). My $8 JP1 remote runs circles around it. Even my JP1 remote from 10 years ago runs circles around it. Software-wise, again, JP1 software is far better, and has been for years. As far as the smart phone side goes, iRule, Roomie and others are far more powerful as well.

Just in the Harmony lineup, both the Touch and Ultimate are far better than the Smart. URC and others have better remotes than the Smart.

I would only agree that it's the cream of the crop if your criteria was easy-to-program, no display, RF remotes with smart phone integration for under $100.
post #247 of 253 Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM

I'm coming from a Harmony 890 Pro RF remote w/ RF blaster/hub setup and looking at the new Ultimate remote as a possible replacement.

My setup is that I have my TV in a cutout area above the fireplace in my living room with all of my home theater equipment (AV receiver, Blu-Ray player, Cable box, etc.) in a closed closet in the same living room.

The 890 Pro works well, but my concern is that the Ultimate's hub only has 2 RF mini-blasters whereas the 890 Pro has 4 mini-blasters (with the plastic pieces that go over the "eyes" of each device and stick in place).

With my setup, will the Ultimate remote work with the hub installed in the closet with the rest of my home theater equipment and the TV outside of the closet, but in the same room?

There is no direct line of sight from the TV to the closet, hence why I've been using the 890 Pro for several years (and it works really well).

I downloaded the user guide for the Ultimate remote and it shows one of the mini blasters being installed right next to the TV with the other mini blaster installed in the same cabinet/rack as the rest of the equipment.

Anybody got any feedback/suggestions?
post #248 of 253 Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triadpc View Post

I'm coming from a Harmony 890 Pro RF remote w/ RF blaster/hub setup and looking at the new Ultimate remote as a possible replacement.

My setup is that I have my TV in a cutout area above the fireplace in my living room with all of my home theater equipment (AV receiver, Blu-Ray player, Cable box, etc.) in a closed closet in the same living room.

The 890 Pro works well, but my concern is that the Ultimate's hub only has 2 RF mini-blasters whereas the 890 Pro has 4 mini-blasters (with the plastic pieces that go over the "eyes" of each device and stick in place).

With my setup, will the Ultimate remote work with the hub installed in the closet with the rest of my home theater equipment and the TV outside of the closet, but in the same room?

There is no direct line of sight from the TV to the closet, hence why I've been using the 890 Pro for several years (and it works really well).

I downloaded the user guide for the Ultimate remote and it shows one of the mini blasters being installed right next to the TV with the other mini blaster installed in the same cabinet/rack as the rest of the equipment.

Anybody got any feedback/suggestions?

The Ultimate remote does in fact have built in IR as far as I understand. This means that you could program the remote to control your TV via RF on the remote and then use the hub and blasters for the closet devices

"he other thing the Ultimate brings is an extra IR blaster and the ability to configure where the IR is emitted from: from the Hub's built-in emitters, the wired ones or directly from the hand-held remote. Setting it to emit from the remote does undermine the mobile apps, however."

In the setup, you can select which device is being controlled by individual peripherals: Remote, Hub, Blaster, or Hub and Mini Blasters
post #249 of 253 Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM

For those that are using the hub, how well does the IR blast from this device work? All of my equipment is on a bookshelf facing outwards. There is a wall to the right of them and a couch approx. 3 feet in front of them. I need at least two devices controlled via RF/IR blasters, but I'd like to have my AVR be "hit" with the hub or blasters as well
post #250 of 253 Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM

Just got one. So far so good. I have my hub about 8 feet away pointing in the general direction of my stuff.

I have a question though, does anybody know if the Smart Control will pair as a Bluetooth remote with a Vizio TV? So far, I haven't been able to figure it out.
post #251 of 253 Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Just got one. So far so good. I have my hub about 8 feet away pointing in the general direction of my stuff.

I have a question though, does anybody know if the Smart Control will pair as a Bluetooth remote with a Vizio TV? So far, I haven't been able to figure it out.

No, its Bluetooth pairing is limited to a couple game platforms (e.g., PS3). It won't pair with my Samsung F9000 which has a Bluetooth remote. Luckily, the Samsung also has traditional IR support.
post #252 of 253 Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

No, its Bluetooth pairing is limited to a couple game platforms (e.g., PS3). It won't pair with my Samsung F9000 which has a Bluetooth remote. Luckily, the Samsung also has traditional IR support.

I'm glad that more and more phones are showing up with IR blasters.  Unfortunately my Galaxy Note 2 doesn't have it.  :-/

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #253 of 253 Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I guess I got used to the myharmony web version with their other remotes. I'll give it a second look but for my minimal entertainment setup the hard button remote works fine. Yes the USB only sync for the PC kind of sucks. I've also got to try that bluetooth hack mentioned earlier, just seems so neat.

Wish #3: Harmony smart works via WiFi with IP controlled devices such as my Denon AVR.
Wish #4: WiFi sync with myHarmony

My Denon (AVR3808) comes with a web based app. You can access this via any web browser.

From a windows based device (PC/laptop/tablet) you could try Command3808. Software tool designed to control your denon.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Logitech , Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page