Logitech Debuts Two Harmony Remotes - Ultimate and Smart Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 255 Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Logitech has just announced its new expansion line-up of Harmony remote controls for 2013—the Ultimate and Smart Control. Both products come packaged with Logitech's Harmony Hub and Smartphone App.

The Logitech Harmony Ultimate sports a 2.4-inch color touchscreen with a swipe- and tap-controlled menu. It provides a vibration-feedback feature so the user knows the hub has received your commands—a feature exclusive to the Ultimate remote. There is also a tilt sensor, and buttons are programmable for both short and long presses, doubling the buttons' functionality.

Logitech's plan for its 2013 line-up was to step it up a notch in terms of personalization, and the Harmony Hub allows for more flexibility when storing source devices in a cabinet. Because the Harmony Ultimate uses Bluetooth technology, it provides a much more accurate and reliable mode of transmission to the hub. Harmony remotes are compatible with more than 225,000 home-entertainment devices and more than 5000 brands. Included in these devices are both the PS3 and the Wii since they both communicate using Bluetooth.

This year, Logitech has included integration with Philips Hue lights in the list of compatible devices. For anyone wanting to bring their home theater to next level, you can now tune the TV, start a movie, and adjust your lights to set the desired mood, all with the touch of one button.

For those who love to use smart phones or tablets as a remote, Logitech has introduced the Harmony Smart Control. The kit includes the Harmony Hub, Smartphone App, and a basic hard-button remote. The app turns your smart phone or tablet into a universal remote supporting up to eight devices. If your smart phone or tablet is not nearby, the Smart Control remote is included for added convenience. The system is limited to only eight devices, as opposed to the Ultimate, which can support up to 15 devices.

The Harmony Ultimate is expected to ship in April 2013 and retail for $350. As for the Harmony Smart Control, it is expected to be released a month later, May 2013 with a suggested retail price of $130. The app will be available for download from the Apple App Store and Google Play.

What do you think about the new remotes?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 255 Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 23
Any remotes use z-wave anymore?
post #3 of 255 Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

Any remotes use z-wave anymore?

http://www.mynevo.com/ offer Z-Wave remotes. Most others I know such as RTI, Pro Control and Universal Remote use Zig-Bee protocol.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #4 of 255 Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I love the design of the Ultimate. The button layout looks very well-thought, imo.
post #5 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 16
Hmm... The ultimate looks interesting. So I presume the hub will implement the IR commands ala the RF receivers for the harmony 900

Would be nice if one could connect additional 'IR transmitters' to the hub so that the commands can reach devices which are not right next to the hub
post #6 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
Logitech abandons the Link but then comes out with this... I wont buy Logitech again. I'll look elsewhere!
post #7 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 33
I think I'm about set on remotes, but nice to see this ultimate and know there is a decent device for when it comes time to upgrade. Pretty slick.

post #8 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
"Because the Harmony Ultimate uses Bluetooth technology, it provides a much more accurate and reliable mode of transmission to the hub."

As compared to what?

In my experience, Bluetooth has a maximum effective transmission radius of about 15ft (5m) and even then is super flaky about maintaining pairing of devices. This might be sufficient for the typical home setup with the user on the couch and the receiver end sitting inside a closed hot-boxing cabinet full of equipment at the front of the living room, but if the equipment is more remotely located (as in my case, a dedicated media closet off a home office) the only option is a wired IR receiver.

Sorry, I'll take a wired IR receiver anytime, or if necessary RF dedicated; using Bluetooth for this is going to cause a lot of hurled remotes - maybe if the remote is able to transmit while being airborne and you throw it in the general direction of the receiver...

post #9 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3watts3 View Post

Logitech abandons the Link but then comes out with this... I wont buy Logitech again. I'll look elsewhere!

There had better be a Harmony Link trade-in program. I fully expect Link owners to call and email them over and over. I'm rarely so PO'd but this is absolute bs.
t3watts3 likes this.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #10 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Keep in mind that Logitech is actively looking to sell off Harmony as well, and yet you're tied to Logitech's server to set the remote up. It might not be a smart investment until we hear what actually happens with the division.

To be honest though, good riddance, because the product has gone downhill ever since Logitech bought them. My 659 was a million times better than the 880 I had to replace it with after years of use, and in many ways is still better than the Harmony One I got after the 880 died (conveniently right after its warranty was up).

And that's not even mentioning how much worse the software is now compared to when it used to be just a webpage, as opposed to the mess that is the Logitech Harmony software.
Djoel and BarracudaDelGato like this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #11 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

In my experience, Bluetooth has a maximum effective transmission radius of about 15ft (5m) and even then is super flaky about maintaining pairing of devices. This might be sufficient for the typical home setup with the user on the couch and the receiver end sitting inside a closed hot-boxing cabinet full of equipment at the front of the living room, but if the equipment is more remotely located (as in my case, a dedicated media closet off a home office) the only option is a wired IR receiver.

Sorry, I'll take a wired IR receiver anytime, or if necessary RF dedicated; using Bluetooth for this is going to cause a lot of hurled remotes - maybe if the remote is able to transmit while being airborne and you throw it in the general direction of the receiver...

Aside from Bluetooth being, by definition, a dedicated RF technology, these remotes are generally just going to pair with the Harmony Hub, so there will be only one main device to which a pairing must be maintained. PS3 and Wii would be the other popular Bluetooth devices.

In fact, I'm confused over what transmits the Bluetooth signal: the remote or the hub? From Logitech's website, it states the hub transmits the BT signal to devices.
Quote:
The included Harmony Hub turns RF signals from the remote control into IR and Bluetooth® commands your home theater devices can understand.
post #12 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 15
I need a RF-based remote within a month or so and I'm glad these are being released. They will be competing for my living room along the likes of the Universal Remote MX-890. The Harmony 900 did not make the cut.
post #13 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
News about what is going on with the pending sale of the Harmony line by Logitech would be nice to know before investing in a remote from them.

post #14 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 511
funny how my 650 still looks more attractive. Is there RF integrated? my smarthome uses rf.

And, please stop trying to turn my phone into the remote. Whenever I'm holding my remote I like knowing my phone is no where near me biggrin.gif
post #15 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

There had better be a Harmony Link trade-in program. I fully expect Link owners to call and email them over and over. I'm rarely so PO'd but this is absolute bs.
Seriously? I'd much rather have a Wi-Fi link to my iThings than BT and a custom controller with cheaply-made buttons. The iThings and the iTunes server are already attached to my network. Moreover, I'd much rather pay $100 than $350. I just bought a Link as they discontinued it! Their software is too TV-channel-oriented, but it works. The Internet connection to configure and their intentional limitations on downloading devices, just to prevent copying their library, are pretty lame, too. But it works, and I don't have any range worries.
post #16 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I still love my Harmony One.
flashman03 likes this.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #17 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivatech View Post

The included Harmony Hub turns RF signals from the remote control into IR and Bluetooth® commands your home theater devices can understand.

So I'm confused. I have a couple Harmony's, including a 900 in my bedroom that I use RF to reach devices in a cabinet. Each device has an IR blaster attached to the main control hub that converts the RF to IR. Does this device use IR blasters, and if not how would it communicate with devices? I'm guessing it must have IR blasters, but even still I'm not sold as I don't like that form factor. Not enough hard buttons, I learned that lesson with the Harmony 1000 which I sold and got a One to replace it.

I do need to find something to replace the One though as I'm installing a Mid Atlantic rack that won't have line of sight IR capability. I think I will just get another 900, I've been happy with it.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #18 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivatech View Post

Aside from Bluetooth being, by definition, a dedicated RF technology, these remotes are generally just going to pair with the Harmony Hub, so there will be only one main device to which a pairing must be maintained. PS3 and Wii would be the other popular Bluetooth devices.

I am aware the Bluetooth uses an RF transmission method, but the Bluetooth protocol itself has a great many sub-specifications and versions that have made it (in my first hand user experience) a very onerous feature of modern wireless devices. I have a Bluetooth headset for my mobile which regularly decides that it is no longer friends with the parent device and requires deletion of the Bluetooth handsfree profile and re-pairing. At work we have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo that despite being only 3m (10ft) away from the USB transceiver regularly drop pairing or send ghost signals causing all sorts of erratic behaviour on screen.

Comparatively, my experiences with dedicated RF connectivity keyboards like the Logitech Unifying Remote system has been almost entirely pain-free. I know that the Logitech Unifying system is essentially a "proprietary and dedicated Bluetooth" RF network, but removing all the overhead for multiple sub-spec and protocol support seems to have been the winning path as the system "just works".

post #19 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Liked: 33
It's not like it's solely a blue-tooth remote.. my understanding is that it still uses RF to connect to the "hub" from the remote and adds the ability of using wifi to connect to the "hub" from smartphones, both of which are able to recognize the "state" of the components. From that "hub" it still sends IR signal to other devices as the 900 and 1100 always did, but now it ALSO has the ability to use bluetooth for devices that otherwise cannot be controlled by universal remotes directly (such as a ps3). Its not like it is replacing IR and RF with bluetooth, it's just ADDING buetooth to the options...hardly a bad thing.

post #20 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
Well I'm all set as far as remotes go... I have 14 of them...lol
post #21 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Nice remote smile.gif
post #22 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Only 14? biggrin.gif
post #23 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackavsforum View Post

Seriously? I'd much rather have a Wi-Fi link to my iThings than BT and a custom controller with cheaply-made buttons. The iThings and the iTunes server are already attached to my network. Moreover, I'd much rather pay $100 than $350. I just bought a Link as they discontinued it! Their software is too TV-channel-oriented, but it works. The Internet connection to configure and their intentional limitations on downloading devices, just to prevent copying their library, are pretty lame, too. But it works, and I don't have any range worries.

Smart Control seems like a Link which has been beta tested. I waited for months for the Android app for my Samsung Tab. I'm assuming they'll stop supporting the Link and that the $130 Smart Control will be the replacement. So I'm already in $99 to be a beta tester. Thanks a bunch Logitech. Now, let me know when and how I can trade up to the official product.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #24 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

News about what is going on with the pending sale of the Harmony line by Logitech would be nice to know before investing in a remote from them.

This is also my position !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #25 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

I still love my Harmony One.

I still love my Harmony One, after over 4 years. I have three systems, a Harmony 880 and Harmony 900 are used in the other two and I have the Logitech K700 keyboard in each room as well. My three Harmony remotes all use the same battery which has been great. I only hope Logitech or the company that acquires the Harmony line continues to support my devices, I don't want to buy anything else, everything I own is controlled well enough that I am happy.
post #26 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM

I wonder if these new remotes have less lag between button press and response. I have a 1000 and a 900. The 1000 is a pain. I've tried all the tweaks on settings recommended on various forums with no luck. After some not so positive experiences with older Crestron wifi pads ( but good experience with the Crestron iPad app) I wonder if the new Harmony remotes will have less lag or more lag than their current units. (Okay- the 900 isn't bad).

gordon
post #27 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I still hate my Harmony One. I reluctantly use it because I paid so much damn money. It's insane the lag it has on our HTPCs that cannot be fixed. I like the physical design and it's built like a tank, but otherwise it's just frustrating. I have a $15 MCE remote upstairs that is the cheapest junk, but it blows the Harmony out of the water as far as usage for HTPC. Even the wife says it's the best remote we've ever had. $15 vs. $100? Sad.
post #28 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I've loved my One. My only complaint concerns the web-based interface. Is it really that difficult to put it on a disc or allow the consumer to download it?

post #29 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

I've loved my One. My only complaint concerns the web-based interface. Is it really that difficult to put it on a disc or allow the consumer to download it?

It actually is half running locally. Before Logitech bought Harmony, it was complete web-based setup (except for the part to directly interface the remote with the PC) and it was actually faster then. They managed to bloat up the software and slow it down, while not even getting rid of the web-dependency.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #30 of 255 Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM

I am curious as to if the remote included in the Harmony Ultimate is just a Harmony Touch, it sure seems like it. If you could just buy a Harmony Touch and use it with this system it would be cheaper to buy them separately. Beyond that, if the remote is communicating with the smart control base via RF, I wonder if the Harmony 900 would work. I seriously doubt it, but I would love the benefit of the smart control but keep my Harmony 900, I just dont like the Harmony touch. Beyond that, the Smart control bases don't seem to be functionally different, yet one supports 8 devices and the one supports 15.
CMonMan likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Logitech , Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page