Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Even with a 30mbps connection the streaming quality doesn't hold a candle even to 1080i/720p cable which is the lowest quality I'm willing to accept. I don't watch anything in SD. For any title I want better quality than that, I buy it on Bluray. Netflix is okay quality, not great but not absolutely terrible either... I'd consider my HD cable quality much better (source dependent of course).

Also, there is no justifying stealing IMO. Thumbs down...

I don't see how anybody could be happy spending thousands on their AV gear and then feeding it crap. Like buying a Ferrari and then filling it up with 85 octane. Only it's not even just 85, it's from a shady guy out back who claims it's 85. You may get the story, but you miss everything spectacular between.

Something must be wrong with your Netflix streaming I just watched the hunger games last night on Netflix streaming and it was pretty incredible looking most of the TV shows and movies I watch are pretty fantastic and I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff I just double checked by streaming some mission impossible ghost protocol and it was awesome also shows like breaking bad and the walking dead look awesome too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:

Even with a 30mbps connection the streaming quality doesn't hold a candle even to 1080i/720p cable which is the lowest quality I'm willing to accept.

There could be something else affecting your stream. What platform are you using to view Netflix? If your ISP does not support Open Connect, the quality of your stream will vary. One way to get exceptional quality Netflix without Open Connect is to view it through a PlayStation 3. The quality of Netflix 1080p streaming through a PS3 matches or beats anything that I've seen on cable TV.

I don't know what other set-top boxes, built-in TV apps, and Blu-ray player apps support Netflix at that quality level, but I know it is better than what I get from the desktop. Specifically, when streaming through the PS3, it is so good that at normal viewing distances, it makes people say "wow". Granted, that is not the case for all movies and all TV shows. The source material has to be high quality as well. 

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #33 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

Something must be wrong with your Netflix streaming I just watched the hunger games on Netflix streaming and it was pretty incredible looking most of the TV shows and movies I watch are pretty fantastic

I didn't say my Netflix streaming looks terrible, I just said broadcast 1080i/720p video looks better. I would place Netflix video above DVD but less than broadcast video, in most cases. My main gripe with Netflix is the selection, as somebody who sees everything I want to see around the time it airs, watching a bunch of TV from a couple years ago does absolutely nothing for me. Likewise I've seen all the movies I'd want to see already as well.

My comment in regards to feeding expensive AV gear crap was geared towards people that download crappy torrents. Not only is it stealing, but most of it is also utter junk that isn't even DVD quality. Don't even get me started on the bootleg crap they make where they film a movie in a theater. rolleyes.gif To me it just makes no sense to go out and buy expensive AV gear, find gear that is best of class in picture quality, etc, and then play some bootleg crap on it. Netflix is not anywhere near that bad nor is there any moral issue using it.

You don't need to sell me on Netflix, I have access to my step-son's account for free. I can watch it on most of the TV's in my house, whether that's a smart TV app on a couple TV's, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Oppo 103, tablets, I've tried it on all of them. I've got more than enough bandwidth and enough devices to know the experience isn't going to get much better on Netflix that what I've experienced. I've got nothing against Netflix... I choose not to use it 99.9% of the time because I find the alternatives better, even if I have to pay for it.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #34 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
I pay for 2 Netflix Subs so that we can overcome the 2 stream limit. But, as I have been told by Netflix, the account is actually limited to 1 stream, with a backup stream in case of problems. They told me they didn't guarantee the 2nd stream. Anyway, this will solve my problem and save me a few bucks.
post #35 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
We really only use Netflix for TV, our apartment came with free cable but I haven't had it hooked up in a long time, commercials drive me crazy. I stream mostly through the Xbox for the kids, The Netflix app on my ST50 is great and the PQ is very nice but I cant seem to adjust the aspect ratio.(I really don't like leaving the kids shows on only the center of the screen.) I suppose if I watched more TV I would want to have more options than what Netflix has to offer but I would rather use my TV time for gaming any way. I think I was trying to make a point... Oh yeah, Netflix and renting the occasional Blu ray is more than enough for me and I could see it being fine for a lot of people. Besides I get to put the 60-70bucks a month aside for new toys.(for the kids mad.gif )

post #36 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Jackpot...you and millions of others. Yeah, it's got "better" in the last 2 years: from a colossal black hole of utter dross to a solid D-/D.

But then, what do you expect for $8 a month?

Keep cutting that cord, soldiers...then figure out what you're getting, for how much your spending, and make an honest assessment against a $70 cable bill (yeah, if you're paying more than that you're doing something wrong). Oh, and then there's the live sports that no one apparently watches anymore. No, I'm not a shill for cable or satellite just a guy living in reality.

James

Care to enlighten us on how cable is only $70 / month? Even with promo discounts it isn't that cheap here. They will gladly take your equipment back than give you the promo price more than a couple times.
post #37 of 55 Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

That surprises me alot Wattser93. If your streaming Netflix on a PS3, trying pressing on the "Select" key and you can see what stream you are receiving from Netflix. Chances are, you are still streaming on Low Quality. I would also check your account information and select best quality picture.

I don't even have the Super High-Res since my provider hasn't jumped in like most others have and I am pretty content with X-High quality from Netflix. I'm also very picky in terms of quality and would never accept DVD quality streaming service.

I'll try changing the quality on Monday when I'm back at his house. He was adamant that the quality doesn't get much better than what I was seeing, and what I saw was really disappointing.

I only have 12Mbit at my house ($57 a month through U-Verse, it's ridiculous), so streaming isn't an option for me. With a family of phones and computers our connection is frequently less than 6Mbit when being used which makes streaming almost worthless. The alternative is Charter's 30Mbit for $30 a month, but my mother insists that paying twice as much for half of the bandwidth is a better deal.

post #38 of 55 Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i really hope they offer this in Canada - i have 4 t tvs that need Netflix-- and my 150 Mbps internet can handle the load easily --- as it is right now we sometimes have to flip coins as to who gets to watch what they want.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #39 of 55 Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
As a cord-cutter, I reallocate those dollars that would be spent on overpriced digital TV plans toward Netflix and Blu-ray discs. OTA HD local broadcasts are free and higher quality than Comcast/DTV, and Netflix streaming is way more user friendly and significantly cheaper than Comcast/DTV. The HD picture quality of cable, at least in my area, is pretty pathetic, I'd rate it as on par with Netflix. For stuff I really enjoy watching and rewatching, we buy the Blu-ray for the best possible quality. The best of all worlds, IMO.

Up until just about a year ago, our $8.99 Netflix plan supported 6 streams at once. And no, I'm not confused, we streamed content on two computers, two Xbox consoles, and our two tablets all at the same time without incident. We shared our plan with friends and family and never hit a snag. Now we can't do more than two, so we cut everyone else off.
post #40 of 55 Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

I'll try changing the quality on Monday when I'm back at his house. He was adamant that the quality doesn't get much better than what I was seeing, and what I saw was really disappointing.

I only have 12Mbit at my house ($57 a month through U-Verse, it's ridiculous), so streaming isn't an option for me. With a family of phones and computers our connection is frequently less than 6Mbit when being used which makes streaming almost worthless. The alternative is Charter's 30Mbit for $30 a month, but my mother insists that paying twice as much for half of the bandwidth is a better deal.

Always surprised when I hear stuff like that. We would love to have even 6 or 12 megs. Up until a couple years ago we had 1.5 megs and streamed netflix -ok-some buffering.. Now we have 3 megs ($55) and stream fine with no buffering. Quality is ok most the time, obviously DVD is about the best quality we can get. Makes me wonder if I want one of these 30-50 meg connections that can't stream very well.........weird.
post #41 of 55 Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 19
I cut the cord to my DTV Satellite 6 months ago and never looked back. I'm now saving myself almost $100 per month. I also have no cable line running to my house, and no OTA antenna - I'm pretty much done with TV, period. I don't watch sports at all, and I just can't stand all the inane reality programs and commercials and all the extra popup advertising crap and channel watermarks that are on the screen when I do find a show to watch. I did recently pickup Neflix streaming for my two daughters so they would have something to watch when they are here. I will watch some stuff on Netflix every now and then, kinda getting into some of the TV-MA rated Anime right now... so there are times when we do need 3 concurrent connections here. Just a few days ago I was considering calling Netflix and asking if they had a plan to allow 3 channels at once, or else I was going to spring for a second account. Then I just read this thread this morning, so this would be perfect for my situation. I hope they enable this very soon. smile.gif

I only have a 10Mb DSL connection to the internet, but have never had any buffering problems at all with watching 2 Netflix streams at once. I think the Netflix streaming quality is just fine for casual "televsion program" viewing; I have a full projection theater in my basement for watching blu-ray movies, so I have no need for "Pefect HD" with Netflix.

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #42 of 55 Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post

Always surprised when I hear stuff like that. We would love to have even 6 or 12 megs. Up until a couple years ago we had 1.5 megs and streamed netflix -ok-some buffering.. Now we have 3 megs ($55) and stream fine with no buffering. Quality is ok most the time, obviously DVD is about the best quality we can get. Makes me wonder if I want one of these 30-50 meg connections that can't stream very well.........weird.

Streaming DVD well and streaming 1080P well have difference needs. One is 350K pixels, the other is 2 million pixels. Obviously 1080P requires more bandwidth to stream well than DVD. If I can't stream it in HD I won't bother streaming it at all because SD just looks terrible IMO.

If you're okay with SD you don't need a 30Mbit connection, but if you insist on HD, 3Mbit won't cut it.

post #43 of 55 Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

Streaming DVD well and streaming 1080P well have difference needs. One is 350K pixels, the other is 2 million pixels. Obviously 1080P requires more bandwidth to stream well than DVD. If I can't stream it in HD I won't bother streaming it at all because SD just looks terrible IMO.

If you're okay with SD you don't need a 30Mbit connection, but if you insist on HD, 3Mbit won't cut it.

I'm ok with DVD type quality for regular viewing. Vudu says I need 8-9 megs for their HDX, Netflix wants 12 megs for their new 3D content so I purchase blurays to watch better movies. When/if better internet becomes available I will jump on it but really, the streaming I do with 3 megs isn't bad at all.....much much better than the old VHS tapes I have boxes of. Maybe its a younger vs older crowd thing? Heck it seems like it was only a few years ago when DVD came out and everybody thought that was wonderful.
post #44 of 55 Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 33
I think it's more of a "once I've seen better, worse looks worse". I used VHS until I was out of school and it was great. I thought it was the best thing out there...because in my living room it was. Once I saw DVD on a flat screen, that changed fast. After watching a flatscreen with DVD's for a month, VHS looked horrid. Same with blu ray to DVD/lower qual streams (albeit to a lesser extent). DVD's were great until I saw blu ray. Now, anything less then blu ray bothers me.. (although I don't mind for non-action etc fims like comedies/dramas)..

It's just like video games. super nintendo looked great until I got a playstation. playstation looked great until I got a PS2. PS2 looked great until I got a PS3.. etc. Once you've seen a few high quality blu rays at 1080p, anything less stands out... at least to me anyway.

That said, I think your eyes do adjust. I can stream a comedy and although I notice the difference, I just focus on the content instead of the quality.. Noticeable, but not too bothersome. BUT if I'm going to watch the next batman movie, you can bet anything less then blu ray is going to bug the hell out of me. I bought my equipment to enjoy 1080p quality...why would I use it and settle for laggy 720p?

BUT if I buy a camaro, I'm going to also drive the hell out of it. Some people buy a camaro just to say they have one. It's the same with blu ray... some people buy their equipment just to say they've got it..using it to it's full extent is less of an interest to them.. IDK my 2 cents.
imagic likes this.

post #45 of 55 Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I'm getting 15mb internet for $42 a month from Suddenlink. As a bonus we also receive about 60+ free cable channels, and local channels in HD. Suddenlink apparenlty doesn't believe in putting line filters to block basic cable. They make their money by providing all HD channels for around $60 a month.

Anyways, I use Netflix pretty regularly. It works just fine, and the quality has never really looked overly compressed or horrible. I actually think the video quality is pretty good. It obviously doesn't compare in terms of video/audio quality to a Blu-Ray, but that's to be expected. Netflix has recently added a good bit of new material. They've added tons of 90's Nickelodeon cartoons as well as recent Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows. The movie selection has improved and you won't find yourself spending an hour searching for something to watch. More like 20 minutes, but better than an hour. Ha.

Overall, for $8 a month it's great for me.

post #46 of 55 Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

The movie selection has improved and you won't find yourself spending an hour searching for something to watch. More like 20 minutes, but better than an hour. Ha.

Overall, for $8 a month it's great for me.

My strategy is to keep approximately 30 movies in my Netflix queue. That serves as an emergency backup plan. It's all stuff I've seen before, if for some reason I'm stuck without a new movie to watch I know it's there. I also enjoyed watching an episode of House of Cards, I think I'll watch a bit more of that show.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #47 of 55 Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

My strategy is to keep approximately 30 movies in my Netflix queue. That serves as an emergency backup plan. It's all stuff I've seen before, if for some reason I'm stuck without a new movie to watch I know it's there. I also enjoyed watching an episode of House of Cards, I think I'll watch a bit more of that show.

That sounds like a good idea. May need to build up my instant queue. I've recently started watching The Tudors. It's pretty interesting and should hold my attention until Breaking Bad starts playing again. Ha.

post #48 of 55 Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
Yeah, i have more than 80 titles I'm my instant queue. Love the backup plans.

The limiting factor for Netflix subscribers will soon be the general lack of bandwidth available to the average consumer.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #49 of 55 Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Meanwhile, Sony just rolled out a 2Gbps FTTH system in Japan for $50/mo. America's obsession with enabling duopolies needs to end. Very few markets experience raw competition when it comes to broadband.
post #50 of 55 Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Netflix was a good idea gone south. People do not see they are being taken. I wanted so badly to watch the SNL shows of the first 5 yrs I had missed. I was an SNL junkie in the 70's, but missed many. Upon bringing them up-I found they were chopped up! 40 min. of one show-30 of another. Why!! They are all edited.
Now regarding movies and other shows, how do you know they are not edited? You are told nothing! Big dissapointment. I'll pass
post #51 of 55 Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure that it's just the musical acts that are cut. Remove that and all the commercial breaks and SNL isn't very long. However, I do know that the South Park episode featuring Moho is also cut, so I don't doubt that the parent companies control certain aspects of the content.

Boycotting Netflix due to changes in one show outside their control? That's a bit extreme to me.
post #52 of 55 Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM

I think the current limit on devices is 50 not 6 and I don't think that is going down with the new plan. It was increased to 50 a while ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post

What do they mean by "allows for up to six devices"?

Two simultaneous streams is the most I would need. However, my family has a multitude of Netflix equipped devices:

1 PS3
1 Nintendo Wii
1 WD TV Live
3 iPads
3 iPhones
1 iPod Touch.

Am I going to find that one or more of these devices will no longer work? A limit on the number of simultaneous streams should obviate a limit on the number of devices.
post #53 of 55 Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I didn't say my Netflix streaming looks terrible, I just said broadcast 1080i/720p video looks better. I would place Netflix video above DVD but less than broadcast video, in most cases. My main gripe with Netflix is the selection, as somebody who sees everything I want to see around the time it airs, watching a bunch of TV from a couple years ago does absolutely nothing for me. Likewise I've seen all the movies I'd want to see already as well.

My comment in regards to feeding expensive AV gear crap was geared towards people that download crappy torrents. Not only is it stealing, but most of it is also utter junk that isn't even DVD quality. Don't even get me started on the bootleg crap they make where they film a movie in a theater. rolleyes.gif To me it just makes no sense to go out and buy expensive AV gear, find gear that is best of class in picture quality, etc, and then play some bootleg crap on it. Netflix is not anywhere near that bad nor is there any moral issue using it.

You don't need to sell me on Netflix, I have access to my step-son's account for free. I can watch it on most of the TV's in my house, whether that's a smart TV app on a couple TV's, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Oppo 103, tablets, I've tried it on all of them. I've got more than enough bandwidth and enough devices to know the experience isn't going to get much better on Netflix that what I've experienced. I've got nothing against Netflix... I choose not to use it 99.9% of the time because I find the alternatives better, even if I have to pay for it.
then you've never seen a bootleg of a BR rip in h.264 or mkv. they often contain solid 5.1 audio as well as at least 720p resolution, often times better, in a file size around 3 gigs. you call it crap....I call it awesome

post #54 of 55 Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Sounds great for people who want it, -unfortunately, I would imagine this is just their sneaky way of raising the price without people noticing. Who wants to bet that within 12 months they drop the 7.99 two device plan altogether for new subscribers and only offer the bigger, more expensive plan for new customers from that point on?

Ding, Ding, Ding....

"Due to popular demand for our "family plan", we've eliminated the base plan to make things simpler for our customers...."

12 months later:

"We're proud to introduce our new "Ultimate" plan, with access to more devices and exclusive content - for just $14.99."
post #55 of 55 Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Ding, Ding, Ding....

"Due to popular demand for our "family plan", we've eliminated the base plan to make things simpler for our customers...."

12 months later:

"We're proud to introduce our new "Ultimate" plan, with access to more devices and exclusive content - for just $14.99."

Yup.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page