Netflix Announces $11.99 Family Plan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

If you are a Netflix subscriber, you may or may not have noticed that the company limits the number of simultaneous streams you can receive. In fact, each account can accommodate no more than two simultaneous streams. Now, Netflix has decided to introduce a Family Plan, which increases the limit to four.

Netflix is currently charging subscribers $7.99 per month, which allows for up to six devices and a maximum of two simultaneous streams. During a recent shareholders meeting, the company slipped in a new idea of introducing a Family Plan that will increase the monthly fee to $12 and provide up to four simultaneous streams.

Quote:
"A few members with large families run into our 2-simultaneous stream limit," says the April 22 investment letter, which comes from CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells. "To best serve these members, we’re shortly adding a 4-stream plan, at $11.99 in the U.S., and we expect fewer than 1% of members to take it."

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/netflix_to_roll_out_family_plan_for_11.99/#When:15:51:20Z

Netflix hasn't announced an official launch date for the new Family Plan. Although the company doesn't think most will take advantage of it, I'm guessing some of the 29.17 million subscribers might be interested.

Do you need four simultaneous streams from Netflix? Has the two-stream limit affected you?
moosejr75 likes this.

Get all your A/V News at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 2475

I foresee quite a few people needing to upgrade their broadband connection soon. The mere existence of such a plan indicates that Netflix truly is a solution that accommodates the needs of an entire family that chooses not to pay for premium cable.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #3 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
has the quality of the content streamed gone up? I dont mean picture quality, but the shows/movies?

I canceled my netflix cause I could never find anything worth watching half the time...I thought amazon instant was a little better but it also had a limited selection....

So now I just use directv and when there is a free weekend of HBO or something I stock up the DVR on movies...

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #4 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

has the quality of the content streamed gone up? I dont mean picture quality, but the shows/movies?

I canceled my netflix cause I could never find anything worth watching half the time...I thought amazon instant was a little better but it also had a limited selection....

So now I just use directv and when there is a free weekend of HBO or something I stock up the DVR on movies...

its a better than 2 years ago
post #5 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 15
The selection is great if you haven't been watching prime time TV for 40 hours a week for the past ten years (like a good percentage of folks do). I myself work nights so I have never been one of those people. But now I get to watch entire seasons of Lost, Family guy, That 70's show etc etc. If movies are your thing they have some "newer" releases available but your not gonna find "Argo" or "Zero Dark Thirty" available for streaming right after redbox or on demand. IMHO, the $7 a month I pay for netflix is worth every penny.
morbidcorpse likes this.
post #6 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Jackpot...you and millions of others. Yeah, it's got "better" in the last 2 years: from a colossal black hole of utter dross to a solid D-/D.

But then, what do you expect for $8 a month?

Keep cutting that cord, soldiers...then figure out what you're getting, for how much your spending, and make an honest assessment against a $70 cable bill (yeah, if you're paying more than that you're doing something wrong). Oh, and then there's the live sports that no one apparently watches anymore. No, I'm not a shill for cable or satellite just a guy living in reality.

James
Brad Bishop likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #7 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 PM

^^^LOL Netflix stock jumped $40 a share yesterday after they added 2 millions subscribers last QUARTER. There are currently 29.2 millions streaming subscribers and that number keeps growing month after month.
post #8 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My step-son has a Netflix account that he uses religiously through his xbox even though he has access to cable with all channels/premium channels at his house.

I sort of find that strange, as I find the selection both limited and weak. What is nice with Netflix is the ability if you missed a series, to go back and watch it crackhead style (assuming it's on there)... but I rarely miss anything that I wanted to see in the first place. Being that I have access to TV (with all channels) all hours of the day except while sleeping, I consume a lot of content around the time it happens. I see some movies in the theaters, but once they get to DVD/Bluray I've definitely seen it. The end result is that any TV content that's out on Netflix I've seen or flat out not interested in, and the movies are either old and I've seen them or they are terrible.

Lastly, the Netflix quality doesn't do it for me. I have a legitimate 30mbps connection so it's not the speed, it's just the overall AV quality that precludes it from me using in a critical environment. The most I've ever used it for is watching old TV series on a bedroom TV or in even rarer cases on my tablet.

Doesn't seem like this account availability will have any effect on us (I use his account). I do find it surprising that anybody on an AV forum could live with just Netflix, or even OTA + Netflix. I watch most everything on cable and save critical titles for bluray (that I believe will benefit from the improved AV), not to say that is the correct way of doing... it that's just what I do.
repete66211 likes this.

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #9 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I think most of us adults are limited by the amount of "time" we had to watch TV/movies, so a big selection of 10+ years old shows are not going to cut it. We want quality and latest update... Although I do find that for kids, they really don't care so if you have kids, I think it is good, and the ability to stream to almost any mobile device is also a big plus.
post #10 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's hard to find one streaming service to be able to responded to every demand. That being said though, Netflix does have a substantial amount of content and now it's own production. If cutting the cord and using Netflix as an only-service, then family pack will be a no brainer as most will be streaming from Netflix.

It's hard for other companies to gain as much content as Netflix and I don't foresee anyone surpassing Netflix for a long time.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #11 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Heck yeah we need upgraded internet connections...I have Excede broadband which I get 20-30 Mbps out of in off peak but on peak its still not enough to keep Netflix from stopping to rebuffer on my Sony BD player AND my Apple TV3. Anyone know if different devices are better with regards to this? I wish I could choose to "increase the amount of buffered data" in peak traffic times...I know Netflix is supposed to automatically figure that out but they're missing quite badly in my situation. It is, however, pretty decent quality...as good as DirectTV HD anyway (which I'm paying an arm and a leg for). I'd love to cut the cord, but until ISPs catch up and lift bandwidth limitations, its a non-starter for the couple hundred million of us who fall under these ISPs.
post #12 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Liked: 11
Vinny, Netflix is charging $7.99 not $8.99.

Typo?

post #13 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do they mean by "allows for up to six devices"?

Two simultaneous streams is the most I would need. However, my family has a multitude of Netflix equipped devices:

1 PS3
1 Nintendo Wii
1 WD TV Live
3 iPads
3 iPhones
1 iPod Touch.

Am I going to find that one or more of these devices will no longer work? A limit on the number of simultaneous streams should obviate a limit on the number of devices.
post #14 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 13
I have 2 boys with tablets (and thus Netflix) and 2 toddlers. My wife and I are limited to watching TV after the kids are in bed, so we have settled on a list of TV shows via Netflix that we rotate through as new seasons become available. All is good until the weekend when the boys are each watching something on Netflix on their tablets and we want to watch something too. The 2 stream limit has come up a few times, but I don't think the increase to $12 per month is worth it. We just tell the boys to find something else to do.

Regarding content, we are satisfied with the number of shows Netflix has available and the mix gives us good variety as new seasons become avaialable. I guess judging content is really all about what shows or movies you like to watch. I actually like some of the Korean stuff that is out there, horror and action movies.

TV shows we watch...

House of Cards
Mad Men
Weeds (just finished the latest season)
Breaking Bad
Vampire Diaries (my wife, not me)
Being Human (again, my wife)
Burn Notice
The Office
Todd Margaret (just finished, very funny)

... that's enough for us, and the kids love the Nick Jr. and PBS Kids shows that are out there, not to mention all shows from Cartoon Network were recently added - who needs cable?
bidger likes this.
post #15 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 33
Sounds great for people who want it, -unfortunately, I would imagine this is just their sneaky way of raising the price without people noticing. Who wants to bet that within 12 months they drop the 7.99 two device plan altogether for new subscribers and only offer the bigger, more expensive plan for new customers from that point on?
repete66211 likes this.

post #16 of 55 Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lev Arn View Post

Vinny, Netflix is charging $7.99 not $8.99.

Typo?

Yep. Fixed. Thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #17 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 209
My main complaint is that for years Netflix charged a premium for Blu-ray and never kept any in stock. They actively advocated for streaming but acted like they were just reacting to market demands. The streaming content was not good and the picture quality on nearly all of it, even "HD", was either bad or buffer-prone. Then there's the issues with the changes in fees. I was a Netflix fanboy for 7 years but it just got to the point where it was clear they cared more about stock price than customer satisfaction. I've had enough of being milked by Hastings. I will give my business to Amazon, Hulu, anything but Netflix.

To anyone who contends Netflix has and always will have more content, they only have what they're licensed to have and licensing can change. Unlike a physical disc, which you own once you buy it, streaming is licensed for periods of time. A disc always costs $X but the cost of streaming can fluctuate year to year. Netflix produces a few shows but ultimately they're beholden to content providers. If those providers could ban together and hold out for higher pricing if Netflix ever becomes more popular than they are.

post #18 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Heck yeah we need upgraded internet connections...I have Excede broadband which I get 20-30 Mbps out of in off peak but on peak its still not enough to keep Netflix from stopping to re-buffer on my Sony BD player AND my Apple TV3. Anyone know if different devices are better with regards to this? I wish I could choose to "increase the amount of buffered data" in peak traffic times...I know Netflix is supposed to automatically figure that out but they're missing quite badly in my situation. It is, however, pretty decent quality...as good as DirectTV HD anyway (which I'm paying an arm and a leg for). I'd love to cut the cord, but until ISPs catch up and lift bandwidth limitations, its a non-starter for the couple hundred million of us who fall under these ISPs.
Netflix quality has alot to do with what version of the player you are using. My TV updated the player last year to (what was then the newest version) that offered DD+ audio as well as 1080 video. My blu-ray player on the other hand never did update and is still using a 720 encode with no DD+ surround sound. The software that the blu ray player is horrendous as (if and when) it switches between the available streams (480, 720, 1080 and there are scales within those) the screen blacks out for a second then reappears. Extremely annoying to say the least. Before my TV updated the software it would take 2 minutes to load the stream. My TV with the newer software slips seamlessly between encodes. The newest software player that Netflix offers now has 3-d along with their "super HD" stream which is just a larger bit-rate than the "regular" 1080 HD.
post #19 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Jackpot...you and millions of others. Yeah, it's got "better" in the last 2 years: from a colossal black hole of utter dross to a solid D-/D.

But then, what do you expect for $8 a month?

Keep cutting that cord, soldiers...then figure out what you're getting, for how much your spending, and make an honest assessment against a $70 cable bill (yeah, if you're paying more than that you're doing something wrong). Oh, and then there's the live sports that no one apparently watches anymore. No, I'm not a shill for cable or satellite just a guy living in reality.

eYea I should not expect much for $8 but I can't find a way to cut the cord cause so many things I watch are not available through streaming.

Most of the shows we watch are on Food Network, HGTV, Discovery, and Investigation Discovery.

I also watch things like Breaking Bad and Dexter and we turn Showtime on/off when our favorite shows are on.

However, it is when I had netflix that I got into Breaking Bad and Dexter so there is that advantage to it....there may be other shows that I would really like on thre...

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #20 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

James

Seriously, going the Netflix route is far cheaper than paying for cable or satellite. I bought a HD Homerun Dual Tuner which is connected to my roof-top antenna, which is then connected into my network switch. My main computer acts as the DVR, with a couple of 360's using WMC. The dual tuner paid for itself in three months from the savings from not having cable. The roof-top antenna, router, switch, 360's, and computers I already had so no additional cost there from cutting the cable. Netflix for me is just an added filler, and at eight dollars a month is a great deal.

Cable or satellite just plain got boring; hundreds of channels and nothing on (just repeat after repeat, spent more time going through the line-up than I did watching tv and then just turning it off because I had already seen everything). The only thing I somewhat miss out on is sports, but the Chiefs are always on, I love the Royals but I don't have the time to sit and watch 162 games so not having FSMW isn't a loss, and I see more Nebraska football games with them moving to the Big Ten than I did when they were still in the Big 12. I might miss out on some tennis, but that's acceptable when I factor in the money I am saving.

Besides, I have better things to do than watch tv 24-7. For me, Netflix has been the clear-cut choice for added programming and has saved me quite a bit of money.
post #21 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

My main complaint is that for years Netflix charged a premium for Blu-ray and never kept any in stock. They actively advocated for streaming but acted like they were just reacting to market demands. The streaming content was not good and the picture quality on nearly all of it, even "HD", was either bad or buffer-prone. Then there's the issues with the changes in fees. I was a Netflix fanboy for 7 years but it just got to the point where it was clear they cared more about stock price than customer satisfaction. I've had enough of being milked by Hastings. I will give my business to Amazon, Hulu, anything but Netflix.

To anyone who contends Netflix has and always will have more content, they only have what they're licensed to have and licensing can change. Unlike a physical disc, which you own once you buy it, streaming is licensed for periods of time. A disc always costs $X but the cost of streaming can fluctuate year to year. Netflix produces a few shows but ultimately they're beholden to content providers. If those providers could ban together and hold out for higher pricing if Netflix ever becomes more popular than they are.

+1, we have both Blu-ray and streaming plan, I'm looking at dropping blu-ray plan, and just get the blu-ray via redbox from store 1 mile away when desired.
That always seems to have the latest blu-ray in stock before Netflix....and its easy to go online and reserve them....

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #22 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM

It can't be long until the content distribution companies will have to join the public battle for something approaching the rest of the world's general internet speeds with no data caps. The federally protected ISP monopolies are going to have to be dealt with in one way or another. It's really just a matter of time until the critical mass is reached where content distribution companies' business models are being limited ONLY by the public's ability to actually have access to the content.

100Mbps symmetric service w/ no data caps... a guys gotta dream

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #23 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Liked: 12
Netflix needs to raise their quality a lot if they want my business. I tried watching Breaking Bad at a friends house on their PS3 with 30Mbit connection and the quality was painful.

Netflix claimed it was HD but it looked worse than DVD. I thought about subscribing to Netflix until I saw the quality. Even South Park in "HD" was killed by compression. Animation like South Park's should lend itself to be more easily compressed than live action, but it was affected just as much. Netflix insists on pumping out poor quality streams at low prices rather than good quality streams at a moderate price. I'd rather take the latter.

post #24 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

Netflix needs to raise their quality a lot if they want my business. I tried watching Breaking Bad at a friends house on their PS3 with 30Mbit connection and the quality was painful.

Netflix claimed it was HD but it looked worse than DVD. I thought about subscribing to Netflix until I saw the quality. Even South Park in "HD" was killed by compression. Animation like South Park's should lend itself to be more easily compressed than live action, but it was affected just as much. Netflix insists on pumping out poor quality streams at low prices rather than good quality streams at a moderate price. I'd rather take the latter.

That surprises me alot Wattser93. If your streaming Netflix on a PS3, trying pressing on the "Select" key and you can see what stream you are receiving from Netflix. Chances are, you are still streaming on Low Quality. I would also check your account information and select best quality picture.

I don't even have the Super High-Res since my provider hasn't jumped in like most others have and I am pretty content with X-High quality from Netflix. I'm also very picky in terms of quality and would never accept DVD quality streaming service.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #25 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

That surprises me alot Wattser93. If your streaming Netflix on a PS3, trying pressing on the "Select" key and you can see what stream you are receiving from Netflix. Chances are, you are still streaming on Low Quality. I would also check your account information and select best quality picture.

I don't even have the Super High-Res since my provider hasn't jumped in like most others have and I am pretty content with X-High quality from Netflix. I'm also very picky in terms of quality and would never accept DVD quality streaming service.

I concur, the PlayStation is one of the best platforms for Netflix viewing. I have watched the opening sequence to "Art of Flight" through Netflix on my PS3 a number of times, because it is such a great reference. The video quality holds up extremely well.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #26 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

+1, we have both Blu-ray and streaming plan, I'm looking at dropping blu-ray plan, and just get the blu-ray via redbox from store 1 mile away when desired.
That always seems to have the latest blu-ray in stock before Netflix....and its easy to go online and reserve them....
I had the Blu-ray plan, dropped it and then considered getting back in. But it's not even an option anymore, so once you get it go it's gone for good. But you're still paying a premium for all those discs they're buying. rolleyes.gif Every time I've tried Redbox it's been a selection of horrible knock-offs...and that's about it.

post #27 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
30mbps download speeds and you're all unhappy about video quality? My d/l speed is only 3mbps....yes, THREE...and I still stream neftlix day and night in their 720p HD quality via a PS3. Granted, even I know it isn't true 720p, but the quality from my tv is nicer than cable ever was (a service I did away with in 2010) and better than most dvd's I watch. I love documentaries and war/history shows, which netflix has thousands of. For 8 bucks a month, you can't beat it. If there is a new release I really want to see, or a show like Game Of Thrones I can't wait for Netflix to buy the rights to, I just torrent it. If it's a new release movie I can't wait to see, I torrent that as well. If it's something I really really end up liking, I wait a year for the price to drop and I then buy it on blu ray. Just as an example, I picked up Prometheus a week or so ago for $10 on blu ray. A great movie, a great price. Now, before you start slamming me for admitting to going the torrent route every now and then, my movie collection is 600 titles+. I buy WAY more than my fair share. If I really love it, I buy it!

post #28 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

30mbps download speeds and you're all unhappy about video quality? My d/l speed is only 3mbps....yes, THREE...and I still stream neftlix day and night in their 720p HD quality via a PS3. Granted, even I know it isn't true 720p, but the quality from my tv is nicer than cable ever was (a service I did away with in 2010) and better than most dvd's I watch. I love documentaries and war/history shows, which netflix has thousands of. For 8 bucks a month, you can't beat it. If there is a new release I really want to see, or a show like Game Of Thrones I can't wait for Netflix to buy the rights to, I just torrent it. If it's a new release movie I can't wait to see, I torrent that as well. If it's something I really really end up liking, I wait a year for the price to drop and I then buy it on blu ray. Just as an example, I picked up Prometheus a week or so ago for $10 on blu ray. A great movie, a great price. Now, before you start slamming me for admitting to going the torrent route every now and then, my movie collection is 600 titles+. I buy WAY more than my fair share. If I really love it, I buy it!
You bought 600 movies so of course your stealing is entirely justified. rolleyes.gif
Five28 and Done Deal DR like this.

post #29 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

Even with a 30mbps connection the streaming quality doesn't hold a candle even to 1080i/720p cable which is the lowest quality I'm willing to accept. I don't watch anything in SD. For any title I want better quality than that, I buy it on Bluray. Netflix is okay quality, not great but not absolutely terrible either... I'd consider my HD cable quality much better (source dependent of course).

Also, there is no justifying stealing IMO. Thumbs down...

I don't see how anybody could be happy spending thousands on their AV gear and then feeding it crap. Like buying a Ferrari and then filling it up with 85 octane. Only it's not even just 85, it's from a shady guy out back who claims it's 85. You may get the story, but you miss everything spectacular between.
repete66211 likes this.

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #30 of 55 Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Even with a 30mbps connection the streaming quality doesn't hold a candle even to 1080i/720p cable which is the lowest quality I'm willing to accept. I don't watch anything in SD. For any title I want better quality than that, I buy it on Bluray. Netflix is okay quality, not great but not absolutely terrible either... I'd consider my HD cable quality much better (source dependent of course).

Also, there is no justifying stealing IMO. Thumbs down...

I don't see how anybody could be happy spending thousands on their AV gear and then feeding it crap. Like buying a Ferrari and then filling it up with 85 octane. Only it's not even just 85, it's from a shady guy out back who claims it's 85. You may get the story, but you miss everything spectacular between.
I don't disagree with you on the HD cable picture quality being superior, i'm just unwilling to spend the $100+ a month my local cable/satellite prividers charge for such a service. I could spend the same amount buying 5- 10 blu rays a month, own the titles forever and in superior quality to cable. I find the netflix quality to be very good for 8 dollars a month and when i'm in the mood for better picture and sound, I pop in a blu ray.

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page