Spears & Munsil to release 2nd edition of benchmark Blu-ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In 2009, Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark, Blu-ray Edition was released for calibrating home theaters. Professionals, and DYI'ers joined major publications and websites heralding this as the "go to" disc for calibration.

Starting April 30th, that benchmark disc will get an update with the release of Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark: 2nd Edition. But how do you improve on such a well respected product? Like any good sequel, add more patterns and make it in 3D. The second edition will become the first calibration disc to include stereoscopic patterns for testing 3D televisions.
Quote:
For users with a 3D Blu-ray Disc player and 3D display. In addition to patterns for testing the 3D features of the display, the disc contains a full set of 2D calibration patterns that are encoded in 3D mode so the user can do a calibration of the 3D modes on the display.

But folks not loving the extra dimension should not fear, there will be many more regular, 2D patterns including some you will only find on a Spears & Munsil disc. According to Stacey Spears, new and old patterns were all re-evaluated for usefulness, including that old favorite: color bars.
Quote:
"The problem with the classic color bars pattern is that it was designed for broadcast engineers and is confusing for the new user. We re-thought the entire pattern from scratch and made something anyone can use, with step-by-step instructions right on the pattern. We did the same re-thinking for essentially every pattern we made, though the classic patterns are on there as well for the purist."

Spears & Munsil listen to those who thought the disc was too hard to use, and created a more guides to help the first-time user. Professional calibrators will still find all the patterns needed for their testing equipment as well.

And all this available for a suggested retail price of $29.97. So first timers, is this something you will buy? Owners of the First Edition, is there enough new stuff to warrant spending money on the newest edition? Let us hear from you.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Spears__Munsil/Disc_Announcements/Spears__Munsil_HD_Benchmark_2nd_Edition_Announced_for_Blu-ray/11612?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+highdefdigestallnews+(High+Def+Digest%3A+All+High-Def+Disc+News)

John Burton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 AM
e08

Liked: 13
I know for myself, this is a blind purchase for sure. My i1D3 is on it's way from the states so this new disk release is perfectly times for me. Having missed out on the 1st edition (have you seen the prices people are asking for it?!), and being locked into Region B, I've been hanging out for a more extensive calibration disk than AVC HD 709.

Come on the 30th!

Hayden.

~ Hayden

Sorry for any typos or bad grammar, I am Dyslexic.

Sony XBR-HX929, Sony Playstation 3 (Slim 160GB), i1 Display Pro OEM, CalMAN Enthusiast.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
There is a thread specifically devoted to this subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1131344/high-definition-benchmark-bd-edition-by-stacey-spears-and-don-munsil

where you can find detailed info about the 2nd edition.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM
e08

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

There is a thread specifically devoted to this subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1131344/high-definition-benchmark-bd-edition-by-stacey-spears-and-don-munsil

where you can find detailed info about the 2nd edition.

Thanks for the link.

Wonder if it's worth starting a new thread to keep the posts separated from 1st and 2nd editions. This would make helping people easier with each versions.

Hayden.

~ Hayden

Sorry for any typos or bad grammar, I am Dyslexic.

Sony XBR-HX929, Sony Playstation 3 (Slim 160GB), i1 Display Pro OEM, CalMAN Enthusiast.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
I might just pick it up even though I have the first one. The price is still pretty good for a benchmark test pattern disc. If it was more in the lines of $40+, I probably would have opted out.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page