post #31 of 52 Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Sorry guys but the video portion would be awesome however the audio would be less than what I am used to. IMAX needs more and much deeper bass! I prefer my audio over any IMAX but that twin 4k would be sweet!

What audio system do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Sorry guys but the video portion would be awesome however the audio would be less than what I am used to. IMAX needs more and much deeper bass! I prefer my audio over any IMAX but that twin 4k would be sweet!

I rarely go out to a movie theater anymore, but did catch Avatar at Denver's best IMax 3D theater. While I was very impressed with the giant 3D picture, I thought the audio was merely good, but not great. After getting the blu ray and watching it at my dedicated home theater, I'm convinced my 7.1 (actually four 18" subs) sound system is markedly superior to an IMax theater's. I presume that the home version of the IMax has the audio equalization optimized for every one of it's seats, and therefore must be compromised vs. a smaller seating arraingement (mine has seven seats in two rows). So if I was to blow a couple of million or more on a home theater, it would not be this IMax system, especially since the ability to tweak it's audio system would be out of the home owner's control. Plus, I spend as much time listening to music, both stereo and surround, as watching movies.
post #33 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The only thing I would be interested in is if this system uses proprietary projection and screens. I would be interested in knowing who makes the AT screen they'll use and if I could get a hold of it, ditto for the projection system, although one could easily just go get a Christie or other such high end commercial projector for that kind of job.
post #34 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Looks like they skimped on the speakers behind the screen. Are those two Bose acoustimass bass modules on the floor?eek.gif

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #35 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimanfz1 View Post

I rarely go out to a movie theater anymore, but did catch Avatar at Denver's best IMax 3D theater. While I was very impressed with the giant 3D picture, I thought the audio was merely good, but not great. After getting the blu ray and watching it at my dedicated home theater, I'm convinced my 7.1 (actually four 18" subs) sound system is markedly superior to an IMax theater's. I presume that the home version of the IMax has the audio equalization optimized for every one of it's seats, and therefore must be compromised vs. a smaller seating arraingement (mine has seven seats in two rows). So if I was to blow a couple of million or more on a home theater, it would not be this IMax system, especially since the ability to tweak it's audio system would be out of the home owner's control. Plus, I spend as much time listening to music, both stereo and surround, as watching movies.

You are certainly not the only person to say that, and the fact is that I concur! My own system outperforms IMAX. At my last trip to a IMAX theater, for Iron Man Three, I was really shocked at the anemic bass. 

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #36 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
For the longest time, I though that the "sign" that I had reached the pinnacle of success would be that I have fresh, clean, ironed 900 count sheets every night (of course I wouldn't have to lift a finger!).

Now, having an IMAX theater easily replaces the "clean sheets" standard (although having both would rock) biggrin.gif

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #37 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

well in order to do that they still have to log onto something that is connect to my router which I am not OK with.

Oh PALEAZE!!! If you have that much money to install a home IMAX, you have enough for an extra $30-40 a month for a dedicated internet modem just for the theater!
post #38 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I want two! One for me one for my son. no wait! 3 I have 2 sons. why make them fight over it? BUt, will it fit in my apt.
post #39 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post

The only thing I would be interested in is if this system uses proprietary projection and screens. I would be interested in knowing who makes the AT screen they'll use and if I could get a hold of it, ditto for the projection system, although one could easily just go get a Christie or other such high end commercial projector for that kind of job.

My guess would be that the projection system is proprietary, i.e. the system to sync up the two projectors.

Jim
post #40 of 52 Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 513
i'm not sure I understand. what are you paying for that's so amazing? the service or the equipment?

I don't think I like the idea of the gear being monitored. not because i'm all paranoid about big brother, but because I hate not having total control. it's extremely frustrating. like when I move my cable boxes around I often have to call in to have them 'reactivated' when I plug them in again. that's a hassle. I can't even change the time on them, that's a phone call as well...

floor to ceiling, wall to wall screens aren't any more rare than a normal screen. and in fact depending on your room might be easy to find/make.

it feels like you're paying for the service, i'm assuming the movies and content are 'streamed' to you, and being to 'order' a new movie and have it magically start playing in 4k on your monster screen is supposed to be the appeal.

it seems like a lot of 'normal' gear used in a very restrictive way. does not appeal to me at all. seems more like a way to get a lot of money out some very deep pockets. it's catered to pro athletes and movie stars I guess. not so much a/v enthusiasts
post #41 of 52 Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 AM

You are completely right. This IMAX experience can already be achieved if you have low ceilings and the right room. I would assume that in a basement with 7ft ceilings, you could totally go this route. Now for filling that giant screen with NBA games....Siiiiigh
post #42 of 52 Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Cerwin Wega speakers a must I assume.

Definitely a system to make any of the the new frac-drilling redneck oil kings happy.
post #43 of 52 Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Cerwin Wega speakers a must I assume.

Definitely a system to make any of the the new frac-drilling redneck oil kings happy.

Fracturing has been around since the 50's. Not to nitpick but we do the fracturing AFTER the drilling. It's a production stage. Regardless, I can't afford a mini IMAX.

Someone above mentioned that the speakers didn't look special.

According to this promo video, the speakers appear to be Pro-level cinema speakers, not home-grade stuff. That wall shot looks bigger than MKTheater's stuff. Minus the subs.
post #44 of 52 Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

What audio system do you have?

post #45 of 52 Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
^ Thats a pretty old pic. MKtheater has upgraded several times since then.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #46 of 52 Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

^ Thats a pretty old pic. MKtheater has upgraded several times since then.

That's the first one to pop up on Google image search.

Good enough for the girls I go with.
post #47 of 52 Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

this can be built right now for under 100 grand (most work done by you). This is my dream theater I thought up before my build in 2006. My idea was to have the entrance to the theater from the back of a ranch style home and take up a space that would connect the first floor to the basement. wrapping stairs on both sides and a space with in a space. mono amps placed on the exterior walls of inner space by each speaker. some laser\led projectors out now can edge blend the imax effect. All components can be in a room on basement level behind screen wall.

I got inspired by this home and theater back in the day.
go to the 4 min. and 30 sec. mark for theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMLtdVFyIc&feature=player_embedded#!

I know this house intimately... the old Frank Pritt residence in So Cal. I helped to design and manufacture some of the flooring in that Home.
it really was stunning... but I could not for the life of me understand why two people needed a +35,000sqft home with a full sized bank vault in the basement.(maybe art/paintings).

Personally I wouldn't pop for a personal million dollar iMax theater unless it was running the latest Klipsch Professional series... accept no substitute!

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #48 of 52 Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Again, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMmD0NVf38 at the 1:30 mark. That front stage looks pretty serious.

I'm counting 16 subwoofers along the front, slot ported,

It looks like 2 banks of horns in the front though. No center channel ?
post #49 of 52 Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 10
This thread is funny.

Guys like James Cameron and JJ Abrams use rooms like this to screen their own movies, and you guys are picking it apart. I get that some people like their home theater to look and sound the way they like it, but you have to imagine this would be about as close to "as the director intended" as you can get.
post #50 of 52 Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos3 View Post

This thread is funny.

Guys like James Cameron and JJ Abrams use rooms like this to screen their own movies, and you guys are picking it apart. I get that some people like their home theater to look and sound the way they like it, but you have to imagine this would be about as close to "as the director intended" as you can get.

It's kind of like cars. You can buy a Ferrari and take it out to the track day for some laps, but there are going to be guys there in home-built Corvettes that will perform just as well for 1/4 the cost.

IMAX theaters are probably the best theater experience for 99.99% of the population, but they aren't perfect. There is an article on Danley SoundLabs who did a renovation on the sound system of an again IMAX theater. They measured bass response down into the 30's and thats it. Danley replaced the old subs with their horn loaded subs. When the IMAX team came in to calibrate the audio, they had to reconfigure their measuring equipment because the sound system was now flat down to 10hz.

If having a response to only 30hz would be like having your own theater configured with very well placed and EQ'd Polk 10" subs.

I remember seeing Tron in IMAX, and it put a grin on my face at how much better it was than my apartment's Klipsch Synergy setup was. When I moved into a house and upgraded to a theater room and components to match, I found that my home system was easily as good as the IMAX setup and I'm not evening running subwoofers yet.
post #51 of 52 Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:

Guys like James Cameron and JJ Abrams use rooms like this to screen their own movies, and you guys are picking it apart.
Sure, because being a successful filmmaker doesn't somehow mean you have the same taste in audio as some of us longtime hobbyists. When spending a couple million dollars, it isn't unreasonable to ask whether someone at IMAX Corp knows what sort of speakers I like.
Quote:

I get that some people like their home theater to look and sound the way they like it, but you have to imagine this would be about as close to "as the director intended" as you can get.
You really believe most directors intended their movies to be seen in IMAX?

Sanjay
post #52 of 52 Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Will the IMAX headquarters have access to what is being viewed on the system? It would be quiet embarassing if the one night you put on some "adult" content, ya know just cause you had to see what it looked like, and the system malfunctioned and you got that call from IMAX, smile.gif
David Susilo likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page