post #31 of 56 Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

How about LG's OLED for $13,500? It's not even 4K it's 1080p.

LOL yeah not anytime soon I guess.. maybe in 5+ years or so, it'll be more in-line price wise as current flagship 65" plasma models.. I sure hope so anyways.. I'm in absolutely no rush, just got a 65" Panasonic plasma and I couldn't be happier with it biggrin.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

LOL yeah not anytime soon I guess.. maybe in 5+ years or so, it'll be more in-line price wise as current flagship 65" plasma models.. I sure hope so anyways.. I'm in absolutely no rush, just got a 65" Panasonic plasma and I couldn't be happier with it biggrin.gif

That's sounds like a nice panel smile.gif and about what I'll buy next. I should just get a 1080p plasma and have it over with, these OLED's won't come down in price for awhile it seems. So you bought the 3D version?
post #33 of 56 Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

What we NOW, is some 4K Standardization!

Yeah, first things first, I couldn't agree with you more. Start with HDMI 2.0, then go from there. Why even buy one of these sets now without HDMI 2.0 in it. In terms of 4k, the current HDMI 1.4 4k sets they're selling will be obsolete very very quickly.

And really, by the time this is all sorted out and these 'updated specs wise' sets are available, they'll already be almost ready to launch 8k sets imo ! Makes no sense, enjoy what's available now in plasma and LED, some great sets for 2013..

Quote:

That's sounds like a nice panel smile.gif and about what I'll buy next. I should just get a 1080p plasma and have it over with, these OLED's won't come down in price for awhile it seems. So you bought the 3D version?

Yeah exactly, I love the ST60 biggrin.gif

It is 3D, I've only watched Avatar 3D yet on it in terms of 3D content, but yeah, it was good cool.gif

For a bit more (well maybe more than a bit more but still a good value), the Panasonic VT60 biggrin.gif

You can't beat the price of the ST60 for what you get and the PQ on this set.. I assume you've seen the CNET etc... reviews of the ST60 and VT60.. not many complaints there.

You can't go wrong with one of these 2013 panasonic plasma, they've blown away the competition imo, the only real alternative is the samsung F8500 but it's a lot more expensive.

Keep me posted on what you decide on doing ! smile.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #34 of 56 Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Yeah, first things first, I couldn't agree with you more. Start with HDMI 2.0, then go from there. Why even buy one of these sets now without HDMI 2.0 in it. In terms of 4k, the current HDMI 1.4 4k sets they're selling will be obsolete very very quickly.

And really, by the time this is all sorted out and these 'updated specs wise' sets are available, they'll already be almost ready to launch 8k sets imo ! Makes no sense, enjoy what's available now in plasma and LED, some great sets for 2013..
Yeah exactly, I love the ST60 biggrin.gif

It is 3D, I've only watched Avatar 3D yet on it in terms of 3D content, but yeah, it was good cool.gif

For a bit more (well maybe more than a bit more but still a good value), the Panasonic VT60 biggrin.gif

You can't beat the price of the ST60 for what you get and the PQ on this set.. I assume you've seen the CNET etc... reviews of the ST60 and VT60.. not many complaints there.

You can't go wrong with one of these 2013 panasonic plasma, they've blown away the competition imo, the only real alternative is the samsung F8500 but it's a lot more expensive.

Keep me posted on what you decide on doing ! smile.gif

Yes I've seen the reviews, great panel especially for the money.
post #35 of 56 Old 05-19-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 45
a 10,000 hour tv is not 'green friendly' at all.....people will EASILY put 10,000 hours in no-time, then the tv is thrown out (or recycled) and, to put it plainly, putting more crap in dump more often. I do agree with someone who posted here that the first gen will be fantastic...IF we can acheive a lifespan of atleast twice the estimated life of current OLED sets....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #36 of 56 Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

OK - 3 hours a day watching X 365 days in the year = 1095 Hours. Blue will last 10,000 Hrs = 10 years for the set. I doubt there's too many here that keep a TV longer than 3 to 5 years. So we're good to go!

I've bought 3 TV's in the 35 years since I graduated college & I still have the last 2. The older one is a Sony XBR 32" CRT that looks as good as the day it was new. The newer one is a 70" Sharp LCD that also shows no sign of degrading. I'm using turntables & amplifiers that I bought 30+ years ago and a sub woofer I built 28 years ago (JBL 18" driver in a 12 cu ft cabinet, I did have to replace the surround). I don't believe in disposable consumer equipment or overpriced (and fragile) audiophile equipment. I also don't give a da#n about having the absolute latest and greatest. So yes, I want a 70" 4K OLED TV but not the first one that hits the block, that one will cost WAAAYYY too much. But not the Wally World no name special either. I want one that is going to still work 100% when it's 15 years old but costs under $4000.
post #37 of 56 Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post

I've bought 3 TV's in the 35 years since I graduated college & I still have the last 2. The older one is a Sony XBR 32" CRT that looks as good as the day it was new. The newer one is a 70" Sharp LCD that also shows no sign of degrading. I'm using turntables & amplifiers that I bought 30+ years ago and a sub woofer I built 28 years ago (JBL 18" driver in a 12 cu ft cabinet, I did have to replace the surround). I don't believe in disposable consumer equipment or overpriced (and fragile) audiophile equipment. I also don't give a da#n about having the absolute latest and greatest. So yes, I want a 70" 4K OLED TV but not the first one that hits the block, that one will cost WAAAYYY too much. But not the Wally World no name special either. I want one that is going to still work 100% when it's 15 years old but costs under $4000.

Try picking up a copy of the Pixel Protector Blu-ray, and run the 3 different Pixel Washes on your sets - you will be amazed at how much better they will look! (6 Hours with the First Pixel Wash, 2 hours with the Second, and 1 Hour with the Last.) A friend of mine ran the Pixel Washes on his old Sony, and swears it now looks better than when he first bought it!
post #38 of 56 Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

How about LG's OLED for $13,500? It's not even 4K it's 1080p.

I can only hope to get more than 10,000 hours for $13,500!

post #39 of 56 Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I can only hope to get more than 10,000 hours for $13,500!
Just over $1/hour - that's more an hour than the guy who assembled it makes...maybe I could just hire him to do puppet shows behind an empty bezel so I'd get glasses-free 3D out of the deal...
post #40 of 56 Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
All I know is im comfortable holding on to my Kuro until OLED gets big. I betting it will be in the next few years. How long until they are affordable I have no idea but they way the market is technology flies by today shouldn't be too long.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #41 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

All I know is im comfortable holding on to my Kuro until OLED gets big. I betting it will be in the next few years. How long until they are affordable I have no idea but they way the market is technology flies by today shouldn't be too long.
Only snag in the waiting game is that OLED has been "in development" for at least 13 years already.
post #42 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Only snag in the waiting game is that OLED has been "in development" for at least 13 years already.

Sure, but as of 2013 OLED is used in millions and millions of 1080p smartphone displays, so it's not exactly experimental anymore. I mean, I have a 1080p OLED screen in my pocket right now.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #43 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 AM

And I have one next to my laptop, only problem is it's 5". Sony did us one better with 11" in 2007 and LG with a 15" in 2010, so this smartphone size just seems like a step back. The one defining difference is volume, I'd agree. It's not translating to larger sizes, though.
post #44 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I have one next to my laptop, only problem is it's 5". Sony did us one better with 11" in 2007 and LG with a 15" in 2010, so this smartphone size just seems like a step back. The one defining difference is volume, I'd agree. It's not translating to larger sizes, though.

I'm not sure where your going with this? Any kind of research on this online reveals Samsung and LG are ready to release OLED panels this year.
post #45 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

A 55" OLED from LG just barely missed the VE shootout. They are supposed to ship in June in SK, and it's June now... so the first reviews should be popping up soon enough. With the smartphones, I figure the fundementals of the technology have been worked out.

IMO was the world economic collapse that stopped OLED in its tracks, not technology issues. It's the same reason there is no more Kuro—the market for $10,000 TVs dried up very rapidly when the real-estate bubble popped. But this is it—I expect OLED to start popping up all over the place over the next year or so.

post #46 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

A 55" OLED from LG just barely missed the VE shootout. They are supposed to ship in June in SK, and it's June now... so the first reviews should be popping up soon enough. With the smartphones, I figure the fundementals of the technology have been worked out.

IMO was the world economic collapse that stopped OLED in its tracks, not technology issues. It's the same reason there is no more Kuro—the market for $10,000 TVs dried up very rapidly when the real-estate bubble popped. But this is it—I expect OLED to start popping up all over the place over the next year or so.

I agree and not to go off track but since I'm in the construction business I pay attention to new home sales. Much of the economy can be forecast by this and it just started coming back late last year. When I stop competing against general contractors for roofing and siding it means they are building homes. With the real estate market imploding this last time it is a painfully slow recovery.
post #47 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure where your going with this? Any kind of research on this online reveals Samsung and LG are ready to release OLED panels this year.
Any kind of research includes shills and company statements that have no purpose other than catching eyes in the headlines and generating interest and speculation. LG was supposed to release in South Korea already. The target date was in February or March, I do believe. Still no reviews or even impressions after that release. April was then said to be the US release date, which again has come and gone with nary a whimper. June is the UK release date, and I'm not holding my breath while waiting to see this materialize.
Quote:

Do you have a link to this June announcement, or are you confusing this with the recent announcement about the curved OLED set to be released in June? http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/28/4280562/lg-curved-oled-tv-55-inch-pricing-availability-korea

What about the flat panel? Is this like 1984 where history becomes a moving target depending on what the authority is proclaiming? smile.gif
Quote:
No doubt that had a very strong impact and put a wrench in the R&D of many organizations worldwide, but I'm still not convinced OLED at 50" and up is ready for the mass market.
post #48 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Do you have a link to this June announcement, or are you confusing this with the recent announcement about the curved OLED set to be released in June? http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/28/4280562/lg-curved-oled-tv-55-inch-pricing-availability-korea

Yes it's stated in a number of articles from last week—about LG accepting pre-orders starting May 29, for units that will ship in June:

http://www.lhrtimes.com/2013/05/29/lg-begins-sales-of-worlds-first-curved-oled-tv/

http://teleit.com.pk/lg-begins-sales-of-worlds-first-curved-oled-tv/

http://www.moremag.pk/2013/05/29/lg-to-accept-pre-orders-for-its-55-inch-curved-oled-in-south-korea/

http://photogallery.indiatimes.com/photodhamal-gadget/appliances/lgs-curved-oled-tv-goes-on-sale/articleshow/19802701.cms

post #49 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Yea, I don't put much weight in those PR puff pieces. This is LG we're talking about, who has cried wolf 3 times this year already.
post #50 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Yea, I don't put much weight in those PR puff pieces. This is LG we're talking about, who has cried wolf 3 times this year already.

I agree—but this time they are taking people's money; that's a bold move, if they can't follow through that's a PR disaster IMO. eek.gif

post #51 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 PM

I remain skeptical, but I hope you're correct. Signs of life beyond PR have been difficult to see.
post #52 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

I distinctly remember reading a short press release 2~ 2 1/2 years ago from one the "biggies" in OLED technology, Samsung, LG, Sony + Panasonic, that a milestone had been reached when they achieved an operating lifetime of 10.000 hours for the blue OLED, i can't remember if that amount was MTBF or best-of-tested batch.
Since apparently blue OLED has the shortest lifetime, does anyone know what is currently its estimated lifetime compared to red and green ? I would hope that fact has improved since then.
I've been kind of leery of OLED technology ever since reading about that " milestone" as well as the fact that just like CRT and plasma, the user should always be aware and careful about high contrast static images onscreen too long, not to mention station logo IDs.
I understand that LG OLED displays are using a simpler technology involving only white OLEDs coupled with layers of R/G/B filters instead of the more complex "true trio tech" of R/G/B OLEDs championed by Samsung which has provided very low yields of acceptable panels, and if i read correctly Sony + Panasonic have merged their OLED research and manufacturing line, and now this article from NHK. To me that's too much "in flux" still going on...

There are a couple things to know about blue lifetimes. First, they typically refer to lifetimes as time to 50% brightness. The colors don't just stop working one day but decay over time. Second, as you noted is the differences between white OLEDs used by LG and RGB probably to be used by Samsung. It will probably be a while before Sony and Panasonic have OLED TVs on the market.

For a white OLED, the red/green and blue layers are stacked on top of each other to a produce a single white color. This means some of the electrons that pass through from the red/green layer are absorbed by the blue layer. The result is the blue layer decays at a much slower rate than it would on its own or in an RGB system as it is effectively replenished from the red/green layer. For the most part this architecture eliminates blue lifetimes as a concern for TVs. White OLEDs have been demonstrated with lifetimes of 100,000-150,000 hours, greater than that of many LCDs.

For an RGB system, blue operates in much the way you would expect and its lifetime is a much bigger issue. The one caveat is that in this system, a color is only lit up if that pixel contains some of that color. So, only pixels with blue in it will have the blue pixel lit up. This should extend the set's lifetime somewhat beyond that of the blue color.

There are a number of companies that make blue material. LG uses blue from Idemitsu of Japan. They report on their website a lifetime of 11,000 hours though I think that hasn't been updated for a while. As noted earlier, though, blue lifetime isn't as important for LG. Samsung is currently switching from getting their blue material from SFC to Dow. Those companies haven't advertised their lifetimes so it's hard to say exactly what it is. It's highly likely it's greater than 11,000 hours though. DuPont has reported a good blue material with around 20,000 hours and Samsung has chosen not to use it.
imagic likes this.
post #53 of 56 Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

I agree—but this time they are taking people's money; that's a bold move, if they can't follow through that's a PR disaster IMO. eek.gif

They took people's money for the flat non-curved version back in January with promised delivery in February. There is zero evidence that they actually shipped a single one of those TVs to customers in the past 4 months. It's all PR hype.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #54 of 56 Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Almost July now....where are all (or any) of those curved LG OLED reviews or impressions? Yea, DOA. OLED, always just 5 years away.
post #55 of 56 Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 86
True vinnie, but the question is just how many of us will still be here on threads such as this speculating, dreaming, arguing, pontificating etc about these still non-existent OLED tv's in 5 years time !!??eek.gif
post #56 of 56 Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 PM

That's a depressing thought!
Reply Latest Industry News