post #91 of 185 Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpenguinj View Post

Hey Guys

Loving the soundtrack. But does anyone else notice a weird sound near the beginning of the Oil Rig track? It sounds like someone saying uh oh! I have listened to it a bunch of times and it almost sounds like something went wrong on the computer when they were recording it? Or am I losing it!

Didnt' notice it before, but I just listened to that track, and now I can't un-hear it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read through all the threads quickly and didn't notice this being answered. Is the download code included in a digital purchase of the album. Such as the iTunes or amazon purchase?
post #93 of 185 Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaw2010 View Post

I read through all the threads quickly and didn't notice this being answered. Is the download code included in a digital purchase of the album. Such as the iTunes or amazon purchase?

Not exactly sure what your question is, but it is their own proprietary DRM and that is the problem. And to add insult to injury, I think you only get it in the physical copy.

Matt
post #94 of 185 Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM

I just heard about this earlier today on Leo's show. I installed it on my iPhone 4s and just listened using some really good and expensive Sleek Audio SA-6 in-ear monitors. I heard virtually zero surround effect! I chose in-ear headphones in the Z+ app. Maybe the effect works better with over-the-ear headphones?

Too bad since I've really been getting into surround audio lately with SACD, DVD-A, and BD-audio and a very large, multi-speaker setup. It would be great to have something approaching this in a portable setup. Oh well.
post #95 of 185 Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Haw

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In the Z+ App, there is a TUTORIAL which gives a speaker position sound check. It is impressive and clearly shows what the Headphone:X technology is capable of. You can distinctively hear where the sound is coming from in the simulated 11.1 sound setup check.

For listening to the music scores, use a earpiece like the Sennheiser HD239 used in DTS own Demo room with good bass and high frequency response, crank up the volume on your iphone, and you can get very good dynamics of the drum beats and a wide expansive sound field like you are sitting in a big room. Besides that, ya, can't hear any other special surround effects in those scores.
post #96 of 185 Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw View Post

In the Z+ App, there is a TUTORIAL which gives a speaker position sound check. It is impressive and clearly shows what the Headphone:X technology is capable of. You can distinctively hear where the sound is coming from in the simulated 11.1 sound setup check.

For listening to the music scores, use a earpiece like the Sennheiser HD239 used in DTS own Demo room with good bass and high frequency response, crank up the volume on your iphone, and you can get very good dynamics of the drum beats and a wide expansive sound field like you are sitting in a big room. Besides that, ya, can't hear any other special surround effects in those scores.

Yes - I went through the tutorial and barely heard any height or front/back effect at all. It must not like my IEMs (http://sleek-audio.com/products/universal/sa6 ). I'll try some Shure over-the-ear headphones tomorrow that I leave at my office.
post #97 of 185 Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart View Post

Yes - I went through the tutorial and barely heard any height or front/back effect at all. It must not like my IEMs (http://sleek-audio.com/products/universal/sa6 ). I'll try some Shure over-the-ear headphones tomorrow that I leave at my office.

I ran the tutorial a number of times through several pairs of headphones. I found that the versimilitude of the demo varies, depending on the headphones one uses. Over-the-ear headphones do sound more open and three-dimensional.

I used three models to compare the effect:

Sennheiser HD380
AKG K701
Creative Aurvana Live

The AKG K701 did the best at producing a natural sounding surround-sound field. They are already the most open and airy sounding headphones of the three pairs I used, and I find the characteristic is good to have for listening to headphone X—or any other headphone surround processing.

Although I found the Headphone-X demo credible, I also thought the music sounded quite harsh on all three headphones—I preferred listening to the music with surround effects turned off.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #98 of 185 Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 AM

Got a new code from Z+ this morning, and all tracks downloaded fine, so good on them for that.

Still unable to delete the app without losing the tracks, and it doesn't look like that will ever change, so I'll move my rating up from zero stars to 2.5. It works, but once again, DRM cripples an otherwise interesting product.

post #99 of 185 Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM
ATB

I listened to the free track on the MoS Z+ app. The music was enjoyable and well produced, but I didn't think it did much to demonstrate the surround capabilities of DTS H:X. The speaker tutorial provided a small taste - to me the positioning cues were incrementally better than Dolby Headphone, not head and shoulders better. (And not close to fooling me that I was listening to speakers instead of headphones)

XBL Wishbone AB
post #100 of 185 Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM

I just tried it again with JVC HA-NC100 over-the-ear, noise-cancelling (turned off) headphones. This time I could hear the effect pretty well! So, they really need to work on their headphone modeling. Also, if it's some proprietary music format, they can go jump in a lake. It's got to be a plug-in (iOS, OSX, hardware in receivers?) that can take any multi-channel audio and convert, in real time, to their encoded stereo format. I'm not buying additional copies of all the music I already have just to hear it in headphones.
post #101 of 185 Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Hey guys, I've been attempting to understand the technicalities of how this technology works, and I'm afraid I'm still confused. I plan on purchasing the MoS score either way, but if I can experience this tech via the deluxe version I'd more than happily throw down for it. The problem is, I don't listen to music on my phone. Is there a way to experience the tech solely on my laptop? For example, If I opt for the deluxe version hoping to hear the audio difference, but have no plans to listen to the soundtrack on my phone, will I just be wasting money?
post #102 of 185 Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland133 View Post

Hey guys, I've been attempting to understand the technicalities of how this technology works, and I'm afraid I'm still confused. I plan on purchasing the MoS score either way, but if I can experience this tech via the deluxe version I'd more than happily throw down for it. The problem is, I don't listen to music on my phone. Is there a way to experience the tech solely on my laptop? For example, If I opt for the deluxe version hoping to hear the audio difference, but have no plans to listen to the soundtrack on my phone, will I just be wasting money?

Unfortunately, the DTS tracks that you get with the CD code are tied to the IOS/Android app on a particular phone. The 6 tracks available for in-app purchase are also tied to the app, but they are at least re-downloadable and can be transferred to other phones and tablets that run the same OS.

I'm going to try to extract the tracks this weekend with iExplorer to back them up, but even if I'm successful, there are no software or hardware players that are capable of decoding the HeadphoneX format. Even if they're a standard format like AAC, they will have additional HeadphoneX profile information that can only be decoded by a compatible player.

I would save $8 and get the regular version of the soundtrack, which is only missing 6 non-essential tracks, and instead buy one or two tracks directly in the app. I recommend Flight and Oil Rig, which are two of my favorites and have some nice effects. (Unfortunately, my favorite track, What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World, is not available for in-app purchase.) It's a $2-4 in-app purchase, but unlike the tracks you get with the CD code, the in-app purchases can be re-downloaded and transferred to other devices. When all is said and done, this release is a nice proof-of-concept demo, but that's about it.
turls and ireland133 like this.

post #103 of 185 Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM

Thank you so much for the clarification. I'll more than likely follow your advice and purchase one of the tracks in-app simply in order to demo the experience, but it's unfortunate that this technology is currently restricted to mobile devices, as I do 95% of my music listening on my laptop/desktop with quality headphones.
post #104 of 185 Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Someone with a decent method of audio capture should grab the 11.1 sound check and upload it for us smile.gif
post #105 of 185 Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post

Someone with a decent method of audio capture should grab the 11.1 sound check and upload it for us smile.gif

...or, DTS (the company) ought to have a streaming demo or mp3/wav/flac file(s) on their site and/or demos posted to Youtube- a free ad on a free host, fercrissakes!

Marketing 101, folks
post #106 of 185 Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB View Post

I listened to the free track on the MoS Z+ app. The music was enjoyable and well produced, but I didn't think it did much to demonstrate the surround capabilities of DTS H:X. The speaker tutorial provided a small taste - to me the positioning cues were incrementally better than Dolby Headphone, not head and shoulders better. (And not close to fooling me that I was listening to speakers instead of headphones)

I've always thought that the value of binaural/Dolby Headphone tech is best suited for non-music sound fx in films, particularly action movies.

Please raise your hand if anyone has been seated in the center of the orchestra in a symphony hall, or the center of a jazz ensemble, etc.

Stages and performers and their instruments are in front of you 99% of the time in real performance venues.

At best, surround channels for music can provide performance venue acoustics/crowd & room ambiance, but lend little for the music. Guess what- YOUR room provides ambiance from two speakers and a well mixed 2 channel performance.

We all can point to silly 5.1 music mixes (on DTS CD's/DVD's) where separate instruments and vocalists are arbitrarily placed in separate speakers. Pass the cheese...
post #107 of 185 Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Please raise your hand if anyone has been seated in the center of the orchestra in a symphony hall, or the center of a jazz ensemble, etc.

Stages and performers and their instruments are in front of you 99% of the time in real performance venues.

I raise my hand; I have been seated in the middle of many ensembles as a performing musician, which is why I prefer that perspective in surround music recordings. But I certainly recognize that most listeners have not had that experience, and they normally hear music coming from in front of them at a concert. That's why I love AIX surround recordings, which give you the choice between the "audience" and "stage" perspective.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #108 of 185 Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

I raise my hand; I have been seated in the middle of many ensembles as a performing musician, which is why I prefer that perspective in surround music recordings. But I certainly recognize that most listeners have not had that experience, and they normally hear music coming from in front of them at a concert. That's why I love AIX surround recordings, which give you the choice between the "audience" and "stage" perspective.

Of course a performer had to speak up smile.gif

Favorite suggested examples?

http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/dvd_av_prem/dorian_michael_dvd_av_prem.html

I need to go shopping... wink.gif

Of course I was referring to typical paid audience members of typical live music performances. There are ALWAYS exceptions.
post #109 of 185 Old 06-22-2013, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so what is the deal with replacement codes? Is anybody getting them yet besides the one mention in this thread?

Matt
post #110 of 185 Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished listening to the deluxe soundtrack. ..it sounded very surround like. I like the drum track as well as dna and arcade. Cant wait to see the movie soon.
post #111 of 185 Old 06-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

There may still be value in binaural/HRTF/Dolby-HP/DTS-HX tech even for the "audience" perspective, IMO. 2 channel audiophiles want a realistic and accurate "soundstage" and "imaging", which usually means from a traditional audience perspective, i.e. the performers grouped in front of the listener. If these 2ch headphone "3D virtualization" technologies can more faithfully deliver what the listener would hear sitting as an audience member, then I see value there. Of course, 2 channel audiophile purists may balk at the extensive processing involved and claim the processing colors/harms the sound quality, but audiophiles *love* to debate and argue and basically listen for the noise vs the signal wink.gif

Some of us actually strive to hear the signal through the noise, and can be happy listening to rather poor technical quality boot recordings of our favorite artists biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Headphone

No wikipedia article for DTS HEadphone:X yet (hello, DTS?)
post #112 of 185 Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Probably going to be an option, letting users choose between 4 heights vs 2 heights + 2 wides, since there are 3 titles already on Blu-ray with Neo:X encoeded height and wide channels.

I certainly hope you're right. Although it'd be ideal if they could modify the algorithm to allow for a 13.1 setup. But that's a pipe dream for now, I'm sure.
post #113 of 185 Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

How r the sales figures for the soundtrack?
post #114 of 185 Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I had to e-mail them for a new code. Not really sure why they couldn't just contact people proactively when they know there is an issue, but I guess I could give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Because every indication I had from previous communications was that they would be contacting me with a new code.

Matt
post #115 of 185 Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

I certainly hope you're right. Although it'd be ideal if they could modify the algorithm to allow for a 13.1 setup. But that's a pipe dream for now, I'm sure.
In time they might, but for now let's see if/when DTS comes out with the 4-height option the've been demonstrating. Personally, I think wide speakers are the least important because most people I know already get plenty of phantom imaging between the fronts and sides on their systems. Stable overhead imaging is more difficult, which is where I feel 4 height speakers will help.

Sanjay
post #116 of 185 Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 12
I can't seem to find the android app in the play store. It must be out by now. It was suppose to have been out 2 weeks ago then postponed to last week.
post #117 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My copy of the soundtrack just arrived and I'm a bit confused. I can only get the Dolby Headphone:X version of the tracks if I have an Android or iOS phone? If so, I'm crap outta luck. frown.gif
post #118 of 185 Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Really disappointed that the app is not out for Android yet. They told me a week initially but it's been longer than that!
post #119 of 185 Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 AM

Saw the app on the android store just now (had to search on a computer to find it though). Naturally its only supported on five devices. Almost feels like false advertising.

Home theater hobbies: When going deaf is considered a good thing.
post #120 of 185 Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 AM

Just went there and it's not compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S2x or my Google Nexus 7. I am really angry now! I want my money back! Why it would not be compatible with my phone is beyond me when it's running Android 4.1.2. I have sent an e-mail to the DTS rep and to Water Tower Music, voicing my displeasure.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page