May 2013 AVR Releases - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Every year around the time spring turns to summer, manufacturers release their next generation of AVRs. Most enthusiasts can't wait to hear what new features and changes to expect in the new line-ups. And of course, there's price. May happened to be a busy month, with many big-name manufacturers releasing new models. Because of the number of AVRs released, I thought I would consolidate them all in one thread to facilitate your browsing experience. Hopefully, this comes just in time for anyone in the market for a new AVR, or like many of us here, those wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

We begin with Yamaha updating its Aventage line-up with three new models—the RX-A1030, RX-A2030 and RX-A3030. The RX-A1030 is a 7.2-channel receiver, while the other two models provide 9.2 channels. The receivers offer all the latest in connectivity as well as streaming services such as Pandora and Rhapsody, and they include Apple's AirPlay. You can also enjoy up to two zones of HD video using Yamaha's HDMI switching technology, which is available on all three models. These new models are set to be released in June 2013 with the following MSRPs: RX-A1030 ($1200), RX-A2030 ($1700) and RX-A3030 ($2200).

Pioneer has released two new models in its Elite line—the SC-71 and SC-72. Both offer 7.2 channel surround sound, 4K Ultra HD pass-through and upscaling, and class-D amplification. In previous generations, class-D was only seen in the higher-end Elite models, because it's ideal for high-resolution audio according to Pioneer. The SC-72 has a slight aesthetic upgrade with an aluminum front panel and insulated dual chassis that Pioneer claims reduces noise and improves audio quality. Both have Internet-streaming capabilities as well as built-in AirPlay for Apple users, and Android fans can also stream from something like the HTC One with it's HTC Connect feature. Both models will launch in June 2013; MSRPs will be $1100 for the SC-71 and $1400 for the SC-72. That's impressive.

Integra's latest AVR, the DTR-30.5, pumps out 95 watts in all seven channels and offers one subwoofer channel. This AVR defines modern connectivity with built-in Airplay, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. With all these options, consumers can wirelessly stream music files such as FLAC, DSD, ALAC, HD 24/96 and HD 24/192. What's most impressive is Integra's new Phase Matching Bass optimizer, which supposedly optimizes low frequencies while preserving mid-range clarity. Basically, it counters phase shifting, which can affect sound quality by synchronizing the timing of different frequencies. Integra claims that it results in deep, well-defined bass that won't overwhelm vocals or strings. This unit starts shipping this month with a retail price tag of $1000.

Onkyo, another manufacturer with a reputation for offering a lot for less, has unveiled two models, the 7.2-channel TX-NR828 and the 9.2-channel TX-NR929. Like the Integra, these models come fully loaded with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and AirPlay. Both support 4K pass-through and 4K upscaling thanks to Marvell's Qdeo video-processing technology. The TX-NR828 features Audyssey's MultEQ room correction, while the TX-NR929 provides the more comprehensive MultEQ XT32. If 9.2 channels aren't enough for you, the TX-NR929 boasts DTS Neo:X upmixing and 11.2-channel pre-outs for use with external amplification. The TX-NR828 ($1099) will be available June 2013, while the heftier TX-NR929 ($1399) will follow in July.

Last but not least, Sherbourn Technologies, which now sells direct to consumers, has launched a slim 7.1 AVR for the masses—the SR-8100. The key features include Bluetooth 3.0 with the ability to stream the AptX codec for enhanced sound quality. The SR-8100 sports 80 watts per channel, all hidden in a steel chassis and solid extruded-aluminum textured faceplate. Because this is a custom-installer AVR, it includes RS-232 and IR for control. The receiver also features quadruple bass management with 12 or 24dB per octave crossover filters configurable in 5Hz steps below 80Hz and 10Hz steps above 80Hz. Don't forget that Sherbourn offers a 5-year limited warranty, which is unheard of in the consumer-electronics industry. The SR-8100 will be available for a limited introductory price of $799 ($899 suggested).

So there you have it—the latest in AVRs for the month of May. Do you see a pattern here? It seems as though manufacturers are really putting a lot of emphasis on wireless streaming. What's your opinion on these new features? Are they something you are looking for in your next AVR? Is there something you didn't see in these models that you might have wanted?
mo949 likes this.

Get all your A/V News at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You forgot something. . . .

DENON MAKES HOME THEATER EASIER AND MORE ACCESSIBLE WITH NEW IN-COMMAND NETWORK HOME THEATER RECEIVERS

-- Expanding the Home Entertainment Universe; Enjoy Great Surround Sound and a Wide World of Connected Content with the AVR-X1000, AVR-X2000, AVR-X3000, AVR-X4000 Receivers --

MAHWAH, NJ, May 1, 2013 – Denon Electronics®, a leading manufacturer of premium home and personal audio products, today announced the launch of its IN-Command Series of home theater receivers. The series includes the AVR-X1000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $499), the AVR-X2000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $699), the AVR-X3000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $999), and the AVR-X4000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $1299).
mo949 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

DENON MAKES HOME THEATER EASIER AND MORE ACCESSIBLE WITH NEW IN-COMMAND NETWORK HOME THEATER RECEIVERS

-- Expanding the Home Entertainment Universe; Enjoy Great Surround Sound and a Wide World of Connected Content with the AVR-X1000, AVR-X2000, AVR-X3000, AVR-X4000 Receivers --

MAHWAH, NJ, May 1, 2013 – Denon Electronics®, a leading manufacturer of premium home and personal audio products, today announced the launch of its IN-Command Series of home theater receivers. The series includes the AVR-X1000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $499), the AVR-X2000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $699), the AVR-X3000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $999), and the AVR-X4000 Network Home Theater Receiver (MSRP: $1299).

Thanks for that John. There were alot of new releases and completely forgot about that one.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #4 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Liked: 19
Does everybody and their Grandma make receivers?

I know I'm not an audiophile by far, but there are more brands out there than I realized. Never knew about Sherbourn Technologies. I've only uses Yamaha and Sony receivers, although with so much competition out there, I thought about trying some other brands like Denon, Onkyo, or Harman Kardon. Sherwood is still out there. Insignia, Aluratek, Pioneer, Pyle, JVC, Cambridge, NAD, Samsung, and more and more.

Streaming Bluetooth is a must for my next receiver (I use an adapter on my current Sony) but it'd be great to get apt-x support since mine does have a "digitized" sound to it when I'm streaming from my phone. I've even tried using high bit rate WMA-pro and lossless but no improvement. Bluetooth sound is the bottleneck.

There must be several dozen if not a hundred audio receiver and component makers out there and they all claim to be the best (go figure). Aside from aesthetics or certain amount of inputs, is their really a model or brand that stands above the rest? That's affordable of course.

Oh, and I'd like to take this opportunity to launch my own audio component line: Sounds'R'Us.
post #5 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Nice round up VinnyS!

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #6 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 430
Thank you for this timely article Vinny!
post #7 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest790 View Post

Does everybody and their Grandma make receivers?

I know I'm not an audiophile by far, but there are more brands out there than I realized. Never knew about Sherbourn Technologies. I've only uses Yamaha and Sony receivers, although with so much competition out there, I thought about trying some other brands like Denon, Onkyo, or Harman Kardon. Sherwood is still out there. Insignia, Aluratek, Pioneer, Pyle, JVC, Cambridge, NAD, Samsung, and more and more.

Streaming Bluetooth is a must for my next receiver (I use an adapter on my current Sony) but it'd be great to get apt-x support since mine does have a "digitized" sound to it when I'm streaming from my phone. I've even tried using high bit rate WMA-pro and lossless but no improvement. Bluetooth sound is the bottleneck.

There must be several dozen if not a hundred audio receiver and component makers out there and they all claim to be the best (go figure). Aside from aesthetics or certain amount of inputs, is their really a model or brand that stands above the rest? That's affordable of course.

Oh, and I'd like to take this opportunity to launch my own audio component line: Sounds'R'Us.

True that, but in reality, many of them share the same maker such as Onkyo/Integra, Denon/Marantz. But your absolutely right, it's crazy how many choices we have to choose from and the amount of research one must do. I will try and do another one like this for the next batch of receivers. I think it helps a lot of people and gives a quick glimpse into very brand.
tempest790 likes this.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #8 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry guys, I forgot to add both Denon and Marantz's new model AVRs. Will add those shortly. Sorry for that.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #9 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 19
Thanks.

Oh, and Sherbourn SR-8100 is listed on their site for $599.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
No Harman Kardon AVR-3700? Probably not new or expensive enough. Looks like a VERY fun test though.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #11 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
My boat is floated by Yamaha but I think they came out with their new stuff last month?

With respect to wireless streaming, I'd like to hear what peoples' thoughts are. Personally I've had very poor luck streaming video even with great hardware on both ends, a pristine signal, and short distances. I am now using only wired streaming which (obviously) works perfectly. I have not re-tested audio streaming in a while but each time I test video streaming there are occasional hiccups, and that's just not OK with me. It completely ruins the flow of the movie.

My current Yamaha streams only music, no video. I'm not sure if the above mentioned receivers do video as well or only audio.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's cool to have this info consolidated in one place. If you're not paying complete attention around this part of the year, you can totally be left in the dark.

On the other hand, the "new AVRs every 10-12 months" cycle thing really irks me. Aside from streaming capabilities and adding more channels, these receivers aren't really getting better every year IMO. It just makes it confusing for a consumer to sift through and more convoluted for everybody.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #13 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm cool with audio streaming, but the biggest new-ish features I'm interested in are smartphone remote apps. I have been agonizing over what AVR/preamp-pro I'm going to purchase, and I'd narrowed it down to the Emotiva UMC-200 and XPA-5 versus the Pioneer Elite SC-65. I am planning on going with the Pioneer primarily because of the remote app. I have one for my Roku and I LOVE messing with my kids from the other side of the house when they're watching their cartoons!
post #14 of 31 Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

I'm cool with audio streaming, but the biggest new-ish features I'm interested in are smartphone remote apps. I have been agonizing over what AVR/preamp-pro I'm going to purchase, and I'd narrowed it down to the Emotiva UMC-200 and XPA-5 versus the Pioneer Elite SC-65. I am planning on going with the Pioneer primarily because of the remote app. I have one for my Roku and I LOVE messing with my kids from the other side of the house when they're watching their cartoons!

While messing with your kid sounds like fun it probably is one of the worst reasons to purchase one AVR over another. LOL. Loving my Pioneer receiver though. =P

Great lineup! Wondering what's the purpose of that middle feet on the new Yamaha's...
post #15 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Vinny - nice starting point for the new releases this year. I would just point out that Pioneer offered Class D amplification on their SC-1522k last year, a non-Elite model.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #16 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Vinny - nice starting point for the new releases this year. I would just point out that Pioneer offered Class D amplification on their SC-1522k last year, a non-Elite model.

Thanks for pointing that out smurraybhm. The SC-1522K was retailing for roughly $1600. These new Elite models start at $1100 retail. I think we will start seeing more and more class-D3 amplification within the Pioneer line-up.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #17 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

My boat is floated by Yamaha but I think they came out with their new stuff last month?

With respect to wireless streaming, I'd like to hear what peoples' thoughts are. Personally I've had very poor luck streaming video even with great hardware on both ends, a pristine signal, and short distances. I am now using only wired streaming which (obviously) works perfectly. I have not re-tested audio streaming in a while but each time I test video streaming there are occasional hiccups, and that's just not OK with me. It completely ruins the flow of the movie.

My current Yamaha streams only music, no video. I'm not sure if the above mentioned receivers do video as well or only audio.

Wireless streaming is OK for SD. It's a no go for HD. Too many lags. I wired my house with cat5e for this very reason.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd really love to see a 5.2 class D 100-120w per channel (will tolerate 7.2) with XT32 and subeqHT.
post #19 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei951 View Post

Wondering what's the purpose of that middle feet on the new Yamaha's...

They've been putting this on their Aventage line for years. They claim it reduces vibrations.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

On the other hand, the "new AVRs every 10-12 months" cycle thing really irks me. Aside from streaming capabilities and adding more channels, these receivers aren't really getting better every year IMO. It just makes it confusing for a consumer to sift through and more convoluted for everybody.

It actually irks you?

I like it since last years models will be clearance priced.
Perpendicular likes this.
post #21 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Check out the great review on the Sony 1040. I bought it last week, but still needs to be set up!

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-dn1040
post #22 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

It's cool to have this info consolidated in one place. If you're not paying complete attention around this part of the year, you can totally be left in the dark.

It's never been about consumers, receivers are a luxury product to be used to listen to audio be it voice and/ or music. They won't wash your clothes or prepare your food. They are about bringing something enjoyable and fun into your life. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #23 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Check out the great review on the Sony 1040. I bought it last week, but still needs to be set up!

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-dn1040
Let us know how you like it, it sounds promising.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #24 of 31 Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Thanks John. It looks like dennon s avr x4000 has 7.2 xt32 subeqht and 125 watts per channel. That sounds like a slam dunk for what I've been looking for!
JohnAV likes this.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
I personally love the 12 month cycle. I always buy last yrs model and get a great receiver for a great price. And many times I can get a better receiver because the prices have been reduced so much. I don't have to have the newest thing. I let others do all the complaining and trouble shooting of issues for me. smile.gif They are usually all fixed by the time I buy. Works for me biggrin.gif
Perpendicular and kernmyea like this.

GO BLUE
post #26 of 31 Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
I have pre-wiring for 5.1 in my living room and 6 more points for my whole home audio throughout the house (2 points on that same level, 2 more points in the basement and two out back for the future deck).

All the points terminate near where my future receiver will go. Can this (future) receiver double as my whole-home audio source? If so, which ones work well? Speakers aside, I'd be willing to spend up to $1k. Thanks!
post #27 of 31 Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Liked: 17
I have a yamaha RX-A820 on my room,any new avr that can do a better job? im happy with it but I was happy with a onkyo before this one until I purchase the Yamaha so always is time to upgrade!!!
post #28 of 31 Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM

I have a yamaha RX-A820 on my room,any new avr that can do a better job? im happy with it but I was happy with a onkyo before this one until I purchase the Yamaha so always is time to upgrade!!!
post #29 of 31 Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Nice article,no need for upgrade for me,i already have the Poineer SC-37 receiver plus im not buying a 4k tv they are too expensive and some other issues.
post #30 of 31 Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I personally love the 12 month cycle. I always buy last yrs model and get a great receiver for a great price. And many times I can get a better receiver because the prices have been reduced so much. I don't have to have the newest thing. I let others do all the complaining and trouble shooting of issues for me. smile.gif They are usually all fixed by the time I buy. Works for me biggrin.gif

I completely agree...have lived by this motto for years with TV's, Computers, and video games. I find my wife is much more supportive when I show her the original MSRP compared to the price I pay, which is always WAY less. A great way to get into great gear and still keep your wife happy! Downside is reading through all these great threads here on AVS and pining away all year for the gear you want haha.
migraine24-7 likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Component Receivers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page