The Wizard of Oz Celebrates 75 Years: Limited IMAX 3D Release and Blu-Ray 3D Coming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 139

Just a few short years ago, Warner Bros. brought The Wizard of Oz to 2D Blu-ray with a wonderful new transfer and a fantastic digitally restored surround-sound audio track. This fall, the film will celebrate its 75th anniversary and Warner will re-release the film for a week in Imax theaters in 3D. The Imax showings will begin September 20, and we'll see the 3D Blu-ray release on October 1.

Since the 2D Blu-ray release, Warner has had a team working on this new 3D transfer, promising that it wouldn't release the film in 3D until the transfer looked "perfect." Well, it looks like it's finally gotten the seal of approval. This 3D transfer was created from the same 8K scan used for the 2D Blu-ray. Warner went back to the original Technicolor film negative to create the 8K scan.

You can pre-order the Blu-ray deluxe box set for $73.99 on Amazon or opt for the more modest 2-disc Blu-ray 3D combo pack, which goes for $26.99. Single-disc Blu-ray and DVD versions are also planned for release but haven't been announced yet.

In case you missed this video when the remastered 2D verison came out a few years ago, Warner has put out a short behind-the-scenes look at the remastering process of the film and scanning it at 8K resolution:

Source: Engadget
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have bought the remastered Blu-Ray version of the film (box set... $$$) and the work they have done is truely remarkable. Now I might have to justify more money to bring home the 3D version/conversion! Hate how they can get us to double if not triple dip... and don't forget... there will be the eventual 4K release!

Okay, the conversion of Titanic was pretty awesome. I'm waiting for Father's Day to "unwrap" and view my copy of Jurassic Park, which has been reported as being equally impressive. Let's hope this exceeds both of them in terms of the quality of the conversion. It's a "classic" beyond Titanic and Jurassic Park... and a half a$$ed job will not be" good enough", and further add fuel to the fire about how 3D is only a gimmick. I'm really hoping they got it right... and will probably spend the cash to add this to my 3D library if they did.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
I can't wait. I loved Top Gun 3D and look forward to more converted classics. This will be special.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 7 Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What next, Universal Monsters in 3d?....yes, I know Creature from the Black Lagoon is 3d, just thinking of converted Dracula, Frankenstein, Invisible Man, and Wolf Man.....
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Before you know it gone with the wind will come back in 3d lol
JSUL likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
My 7 year-old daughter and 5 year-old son watched this with my wife and I for the very first time the other night (rented it thru Verizon Fios). When the movie ended, my daughter looked at me and said "Daddy, that was awesome. Can we get it in 3-D when you finish the basement?". You bet your a$$ me can! wink.gif

A classic that never dies. I guess I better hurry with the basement! October 1st is not too far off...
JSUL likes this.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow! My son was about a yr old when mom sat down one day to watch this. He was in her arms, and watching it too. I stepped in front of the tv and he let out a scream! All kids all generations love this movie! Timeless masterpiece! Now my garnd daughter will sit and watch it about a million times. Great news! great BD gift!
JSUL likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page