Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 138 Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Both seem to be neck and neck. The PS4 has the power under the hood compared to the Xbox One but with the cloud computing that the X1 is focusing on so much I wonder if they plant to make the console more powerful overtime by letting the cloud servers generate more of the game than what the console will be doing? This could create an interesting possibility that could allot the performance of the X1 to increase over time as internet speeds and number of servers increases.

However, the restrictions on used games is pretty big currently. However, I am suprised that many of these media outlets are not mentioning that even on the current PS3 there is some of that going on. I dont game on my PS3 much anymore but the last game I played online(Uncharted 3) required an online pass key. If you bought the game used you would have to buy an additional online pass from Naughty Dog to play the game online.

Seeing as how Microsoft is saying that they are leaving it up to the publishers, I dont know if this really means that their restrictions are much greater than what is already going on.

However, having to have your console "check in" every 24 hours is stupid.

I am not worried about the Kinect "always watching" like so many are concerned about. Personally I think the console "watching" is of little significance. I think there are much bigger issues with privacy that is occuring right now such as being able to unlock front doors with your cell phone....any hacker would be able to let themselves into your house...so I'm not going to complain about something waiting for me to say "Xbox On"

The main reason I will be looking at getting a new console is for HTPC, Bluray, Other Media Sources, and some Casual gaming. When it comes to my heavy games I will stay on my PC for now. However, I will say that by the videos I have seen, the games coming to X1 look more of my style than those to the PS4 at this point in time.

Project Spark looks like a next gen LittleBigPlanet to me and LittleBigPlanet probably saw more play time than any other game I have for the PS3 as I tend to only play consoles with friends and family.

However, I am going to hold my judgement till the final release and maybe a few months after. My PS3 is dying currently and will need to be replaced. I just hope it can last long enough until I can make a judgement.

I will also say though, that based on some of these polls I have seen, Xbox better change their policies specifically on the used game content, otherwise it looks like a flop of a console.

Well, what Microsoft has done is create a virtualization platform, hence the always connected set up. You hit it on the head by saying that the servers will do the heavy lifting. I don't know if they are using CITRIX, VMware, or something MS has on the backend, but hosting the largest Virtual WAN is going to be a challenge to keep up and running. They've got to have built an entire server farm somewhere just to host it all. I can see bandwidth and data caps becoming an issue for may other than those with true fiber to the home set ups like FIOS.

On the other hand, Sony may also have such a backend capability, but I think they'll want you to store most of the game on your machine through a render download; much like what is the case now. A one time bandwidth spike every time you buy a game is not going to be a big deal, nor will connecting to a virtual server when actually playing a game. Microsoft knows that virtualization works best when all nodes are always connected and accounted for. Talking this up as just a DRM issue is just not telling the entire story.

Either way, Sony has the advantage based on focusing on what the hardcore gamers want. The only XBOX game that I'll miss is Forza 5, but Gran Turismo isn't much of a drop off, so its PS4 this round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I have a xbox 360 and Im not a gamer at all.

99.9% of the time I use it as a media player.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
post #93 of 138 Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I won't be adding either until I upgrade my projector to 4K and 4K content is readily available.

I already have 2 PS3s and 2 360s, and as much as I want to buy both I just haven't seen anything from either one that makes me say gotta have it. If one of them will let me instal XBMC with no mod or support MKVs, I may consider them.
I'm not sure why you'd hold out for 4k when neither PS4 nor Xbox One will be rendering in 4k... or am I missing something there? I know both will support things like 4k output for things like graphics files, but anything beyond that is sketchy. There's support in both for 4k output, but as there's no BD standard for 4k, that means it will essentially be useless.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #94 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Well I held off for a long time on buying a gameing consol......well not anymore. I will be adding a PS4 to my HT rack in December. Bank on it! This is what I have been waiting for.

I won't be adding either until I upgrade my projector to 4K and 4K content is readily available.

I already have 2 PS3s and 2 360s, and as much as I want to buy both I just haven't seen anything from either one that makes me say gotta have it. If one of them will let me instal XBMC with no mod or support MKVs, I may consider them.

Don't mean to be a hater but hell with 4K.........to my eye there is almost no difference in PQ compared with 1080p but that's for another thread. I have been holding out on a gaming system for awhile because I have been waiting for Sony to come out with the PS4. Now they are and its a must have for me. Gaming on my HX750 is awesome and I found that out when I borrowed my friends PS3 for 2 weeks 2 months or so ago. Some would say then why not just get a PS3? Well I like the new look and features of the PS4 and its the one gaming system I want and will get. smile.gif

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #95 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

I'm not sure why you'd hold out for 4k when neither PS4 nor Xbox One will be rendering in 4k... or am I missing something there? I know both will support things like 4k output for things like graphics files, but anything beyond that is sketchy. There's support in both for 4k output, but as there's no BD standard for 4k, that means it will essentially be useless.

Arent they capable of 4K playback for movies?

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #96 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:

Arent they capable of 4K playback for movies?

Yeah, they're capable of 4K output. Currently limited to 30hz on HDMI 1.4.

They havent announced how they're going to deliver 4K movies, streaming/downloading is probably the most realistic option. Both are still 50GB Bluray drives, and I don't believe either has an onboard hardware HEVC/h.265 decoder, but I'm sure the APUs can handle it in software.

As far as 4K games go, we'll probably see a few, on the PS4 at least. Most of the extra graphics power is going towards increasing rendering quality, rather than resolution. The high end AAA games will look amazing at 1080p, but getting up to 4K basically requires quadruple the GPU capacity on top of that - its just not realistic. At best, they can design a game-specific upscaling algorithm that can fake it really well. Lower end games, PS3 remakes, PSN games like Super Stardust....I think it's likely we'll see a few of those at native 4K.

There's always a slim potential that they release a "PS4 Pro" a few years from now, that has the necessary GPU power for native 4K...but I wouldn't hold my breath.
vilfrard likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #97 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I pre-order ps4!. :)

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
post #98 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 138
The only thing that makes me want to by an Xbox One is Forza 5 and, to a lesser extent, the Killer Instinct remake. That is ALMOST enough. Forza is just that good. And yes, I have a PS3 and GT5. It is nowhere near as good, IMHO. I will buy the PS4 first, though, and if GT6 is the bees knees, then I may not even bother with the Xbox. Hopefully someone will make a good wheel that won't break the bank.

post #99 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Regarding used games: Sony and MS have almost ZERO control. If a publisher wants to charge you for a code to play a used game they can do so. Some already do. MS and Sony can only control games they make. I personally don't buy used games but I know my nephews do. They play a wide arrangement of games so it saves them money. Getting charged for used games is coming. So we'd all better get used to it. Sony has basically taken the same stance as MS, they just aren't talking about it as much. It's a good business move on their part. People get mad at MS and buy a PS4 to only find out its the same as Xbox One. By then it's too late.

GO BLUE
post #100 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, they're capable of 4K output. Currently limited to 30hz on HDMI 1.4.

They havent announced how they're going to deliver 4K movies, streaming/downloading is probably the most realistic option. Both are still 50GB Bluray drives, and I don't believe either has an onboard hardware HEVC/h.265 decoder, but I'm sure the APUs can handle it in software.

As far as 4K games go, we'll probably see a few, on the PS4 at least. Most of the extra graphics power is going towards increasing rendering quality, rather than resolution. The high end AAA games will look amazing at 1080p, but getting up to 4K basically requires quadruple the GPU capacity on top of that - its just not realistic. At best, they can design a game-specific upscaling algorithm that can fake it really well. Lower end games, PS3 remakes, PSN games like Super Stardust....I think it's likely we'll see a few of those at native 4K.

There's always a slim potential that they release a "PS4 Pro" a few years from now, that has the necessary GPU power for native 4K...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ok, I bet it is going to be a streaming/download service as well. I cant imagine the file size though. I use at&t DSL currently and I will say that with the data cap that at&t has implemented...I would go over VERY quickly. Luckily though, once I get a better paying job I will be ditching it.
vilfrard likes this.

post #101 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

... with the cloud computing that the X1 is focusing on so much I wonder if they plant to make the console more powerful overtime by letting the cloud servers generate more of the game than what the console will be doing?

Not everyone has the fastest internet connection possible. We obsess over lag time on our TVs and monitors; will there be any lag time when going to the cloud and back?

You already have the disc, so what exactly is being done on/in the cloud? Background level loading can already be done from the disc. Patches can already be installed after the game is installed.

The internet is already being used on the PS3 and XBox 360. That isn't the issue. It's the XB1's insistence that it connect once a day. Or it will brick the system. Exactly how painful will it be to bring it back on-line? Re-registration? A simple passcode? If one has to re-insert their credit card numbers there will be much resistance. Wait and see - some hacker is going to make a little box that connects to the network port and will by-pass daily registration.
vilfrard likes this.
post #102 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

Not everyone has the fastest internet connection possible. We obsess over lag time on our TVs and monitors; will there be any lag time when going to the cloud and back?

You already have the disc, so what exactly is being done on/in the cloud? Background level loading can already be done from the disc. Patches can already be installed after the game is installed.

The internet is already being used on the PS3 and XBox 360. That isn't the issue. It's the XB1's insistence that it connect once a day. Or it will brick the system. Exactly how painful will it be to bring it back on-line? Re-registration? A simple passcode? If one has to re-insert their credit card numbers there will be much resistance. Wait and see - some hacker is going to make a little box that connects to the network port and will by-pass daily registration.

It was stated earlier in this thread that much of what is going to be controlled is AI and some physics. I really dont know the extent of it but it is a very interesting concept to me.

I doubt they will lock out the system unless you re-register or something. I suspect it would be a simple, "connect to internet to resume" type of plan.

There are just so many unknowns about the Microsofts approach at this point in time, even with E3 coming to a close. Which personally, I think is a HUGE problem. The VP has even come out and said that they have alot more stuff to show in the coming months before it's release...but why make us wait? Why not demonstrate everything you are planning and then just go more in depth over the next few months?

Maybe because not all of it is working yet?
Maybe it doesnt do more and it's an attempt to just hold on to some of the consumer base?

The PS4 preorders are currently out pacing the X1 3:2 which is not a large margin but enough that they should be concerned about some of their choices...

This is going to be interesting to say the least....

post #103 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20

If uncharted 4 came to pc i would have no use for the ps3 or ps4 other than playing uncharted 1 , 2, and 3.I have only just got into pc after so many long years with the two consoles(xbox and ps3) and my pc shows both of them the back door.I never really understood gaming properly until i got a pc or even understood what the setting were all about.Its just my opinion guys due to experiencing both consoles.The ps3 made a great dvd player and i think its done a really great job over my years for playing movies.Having said that i think sony did a fantastic job in that department.The ps3 is a very underated blue ray player and i am sure the ps4 will carry on that tradition.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #104 of 138 Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was stated earlier in this thread that much of what is going to be controlled is AI and some physics. I really dont know the extent of it but it is a very interesting concept to me.

Here's an article on their ambitions:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/how-the-xbox-one-draws-more-processing-power-from-cloud-computing/

Some really bold claims in there:
Quote:
"One example of that might be lighting," he continued. "Let’s say you’re looking at a forest scene and you need to calculate the light coming through the trees, or you’re going through a battlefield and have very dense volumetric fog that’s hugging the terrain. Those things often involve some complicated up-front calculations when you enter that world, but they don’t necessarily have to be updated every frame. Those are perfect candidates for the console to offload that to the cloud—the cloud can do the heavy lifting, because you’ve got the ability to throw multiple devices at the problem in the cloud."

Booty added that things like physics modeling, fluid dynamics, and cloth motion were all prime examples of effects that require a lot of up-front computation that could be handled in the cloud without adding any lag to the actual gameplay. And the server resources Microsoft is putting toward these calculations will be much greater than a local Xbox One could handle on its own. "A rule of thumb we like to use is that [for] every Xbox One available in your living room we’ll have three of those devices in the cloud available," he said.

While cloud computation data doesn't have to be updated and synced with every frame of game data, developers are still going to have to manage the timing and flow of this cloud computing to avoid noticeable changes in graphic quality, Booty said. “Without getting too into the weeds, think about a lighting technique like ambient occlusion that gives you all the cracks and crevices and shadows that happen not just from direct light. There are a number of calculations that have to be done up front, and as the camera moves the effect will change. So when you walk into a room, it might be that for the first second or two the fidelity of the lighting is done by the console, but then, as the cloud catches up with that, the data comes back down to the console and you have incredibly realistic lighting."

Still waiting to see it in action though.

post #105 of 138 Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Liked: 11
PS4 for me. It will fit in seamlessly with my setup. Although, I won't be getting it at launch. Launch devices are never at their best. PS3 still has plenty going for it and I can be patient. And, by the time I get one, the price will have dropped and/or there will be a bundle deal that will make the purchase even more compelling.
post #106 of 138 Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 107
PS3 was nice for a blu ray player. It SUCKED as a media streamer due to Sony's insistence on not supporting various file formats. The lack of support was not a hardware limitation but Sony's self imposed limitations. If the PS4 is the same it will certainly not be a real winner in many people's book who like to stream their media. No VC-1 files, no 1080p with DTS-Master etc and NO MKV files. Sony needs to get off their 'tude and meet the needs of the masses if they want to hit XBOX in a sure way. As for games, PS3/4 are great but again, SUCK at media file via streaming playback.
post #107 of 138 Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

PS3 was nice for a blu ray player. It SUCKED as a media streamer due to Sony's insistence on not supporting various file formats. The lack of support was not a hardware limitation but Sony's self imposed limitations. If the PS4 is the same it will certainly not be a real winner in many people's book who like to stream their media. No VC-1 files, no 1080p with DTS-Master etc and NO MKV files. Sony needs to get off their 'tude and meet the needs of the masses if they want to hit XBOX in a sure way. As for games, PS3/4 are great but again, SUCK at media file via streaming playback.

Yeah, I think it's at odds with their desire to sell you Blurays and use their streaming services.....I don't have much confidence that it will change. It's support over DLNA was absolutely terrible as well.

Maybe now that $50 WDTVs and even TVs themselves are capable of playing MKVs, they'll give up that crusade. It would be a really nice touch.

post #108 of 138 Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, I think it's at odds with their desire to sell you Blurays and use their streaming services.....I don't have much confidence that it will change. It's support over DLNA was absolutely terrible as well.

Maybe now that $50 WDTVs and even TVs themselves are capable of playing MKVs, they'll give up that crusade. It would be a really nice touch.

The PS3 was horrible at supporting formats but the DLNA client seemed to work fine for the formats it did play. I added a WDTV Live streamer because of the PS3's shortcomings. One thing that was an irritation with the PS3 was trying to play a file and the sound would cut out because of the Cinavia copy protection. I haven't heard good things about smart TVs either. The $50-$100 streamers do it better and cheaper. Plus, they're easily replaceable versus changing out a smart TV.
post #109 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will 100% admit that for me part of the attraction to the new Xbox is the fact that it has better support for streaming...

bd, do you work in the technology industry at all? You are very knowledgable about it. For me it is just a hobby and I like to follow it but I am a farmer by trade and education but I enjoy technology and I am getting ready to buy an Arduino(sp) board to attempt to build a completely self controlled hydroponic greenhouse next to my garage for tomatoes in the winter.

post #110 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I will 100% admit that for me part of the attraction to the new Xbox is the fact that it has better support for streaming...

bd, do you work in the technology industry at all? You are very knowledgable about it. For me it is just a hobby and I like to follow it but I am a farmer by trade and education but I enjoy technology and I am getting ready to buy an Arduino(sp) board to attempt to build a completely self controlled hydroponic greenhouse next to my garage for tomatoes in the winter.

Nah, I work in healthcare (hospital laboratory), although I wouldn't mind writing about this stuff for a living. smile.gif

It will definitely better integrate your cable box, but I'm not entirely convinced the X1 will be a better streamer. They had serious image quality issues on the 360 that really put me off. They've got a deeper selection of services, but Sony hits all the big ones, and in either case, a $50 roku does just as well.
vilfrard likes this.

post #111 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nah, I work in healthcare (hospital laboratory), although I wouldn't mind writing about this stuff for a living. smile.gif

It will definitely better integrate your cable box, but I'm not entirely convinced the X1 will be a better streamer. They had serious image quality issues on the 360 that really put me off. They've got a deeper selection of services, but Sony hits all the big ones, and in either case, a $50 roku does just as well.

Ah, gotcha.

I'm very similar to you then. I go on various tech forums and news sites a lot as well cause I enjoy it so much.

It's rather sad, friends of mine who work in IT and have a degree in computers come ask me about what should go in a computer sometimes....rather sad.

Right now I am working on learning more on the software side of things so I can program that Arduino board I mentioned previously to monitor sunlight, moisture, and nutrients in the water for growing hydroponically....and then send me email updates of what is goign on the system when I am at work.
vilfrard likes this.

post #112 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Quote:

Good point. The picture quality of the streaming thru the 360 was god-awful compared to my blu ray player or directly thru my TV.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #113 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
has anyone thought that the XB1 cloud processing and always connected might be linked?

Do you think MS could use all the processing power of XB1s that are are out there, but not gaming (eg watching a movie or web browsing etc) , to use as their cloud ?

or is this too big a conspiracy theory for even MS

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #114 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post

has anyone thought that the XB1 cloud processing and always connected might be linked?

Do you think MS could use all the processing power of XB1s that are are out there, but not gaming (eg watching a movie or web browsing etc) , to use as their cloud ?

or is this too big a conspiracy theory for even MS

That would be pretty scandalous.

post #115 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

My biggest complaint is they went so low end. The PS3 and 360 were both pushing the envelope at release date.

Agreed. I was hoping we would get the same kind of heavily subsidized, bleeding-edge systems we got last gen. Yes, the original 360 was loud, hot, power-hungry and unreliable. That's because it was a BEAST! You couldn't make a PC with the same abilities. Dual core was just coming into vogue, and it had THREE cores! DirectX 9 was all the rage, and it had a DirectX 10 (kinda) GPU inside! I forgave all it's faults for the value it provided. The PS3 also pushed the limits.

Not to bash these new machines, though. 8 cores! 8 Gigs of Ram! Very nice GPU! With some cool custom tech thrown in. Developers always have to shoot for the lowest common dominator, and these systems raise that very high. PC gamers should be very happy about this, as it's going to improve their games A LOT.

I'm so excited for this new generation of consoles!
vilfrard likes this.
post #116 of 138 Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

Agreed. I was hoping we would get the same kind of heavily subsidized, bleeding-edge systems we got last gen. Yes, the original 360 was loud, hot, power-hungry and unreliable. That's because it was a BEAST! You couldn't make a PC with the same abilities. Dual core was just coming into vogue, and it had THREE cores! DirectX 9 was all the rage, and it had a DirectX 10 (kinda) GPU inside! I forgave all it's faults for the value it provided. The PS3 also pushed the limits.

Not to bash these new machines, though. 8 cores! 8 Gigs of Ram! Very nice GPU! With some cool custom tech thrown in. Developers always have to shoot for the lowest common dominator, and these systems raise that very high. PC gamers should be very happy about this, as it's going to improve their games A LOT.

I'm so excited for this new generation of consoles!

Yeah, to me this feels like we skipped straight to the "slim" versions. They're not as bleeding edge as the last consoles when they first came out, but it's an equivalent jump...it just took a little longer to get there.

post #117 of 138 Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:

Yeah, to me this feels like we skipped straight to the "slim" versions. They're not as bleeding edge as the last consoles when they first came out, but it's an equivalent jump...it just took a little longer to get there.

I'm glad for that, frankly. But for this coming generation of consoles, I think "slim" will mean no optical drive at all.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #118 of 138 Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I'm glad for that, frankly. But for this coming generation of consoles, I think "slim" will mean no optical drive at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if the optical drive was just an optional external accessory.

post #119 of 138 Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if the optical drive was just an optional external accessory.

If they were external accesories they could go even more extreme of a route and add more HDMI ports to pass through.

So you could choose how good of a bluray drive you wanted for instance and then still have a cable box/HTPC connected....

I really dont understand why there are not more HDMI inputs on the unit as even if they only had 2 inputs the flexibility the system would have would be incredible.

post #120 of 138 Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If they were external accesories they could go even more extreme of a route and add more HDMI ports to pass through.

So you could choose how good of a bluray drive you wanted for instance and then still have a cable box/HTPC connected....

I really dont understand why there are not more HDMI inputs on the unit as even if they only had 2 inputs the flexibility the system would have would be incredible.

Well, technically you can hook up anything to that HDMI in, even your receiver or a switch. I suspect the X1 is going to be deficient in terms of local/network file playback - if I were to hook anything into that HDMI input, it would probably be something like a WDTV. Then you'll be able to watch an mkv side by side with your game, Skype or whatever you want. You could even hook your PS4 in! I think it's going to be a killer feature for the HT crowd.

They're marketing it as being only for your cable box, because pretty much everything else competes with their digital marketplace. But if they're falling back on IR blasters for some boxes, that basically means the X1 has absolutely no idea what's flowing through that HDMI input. So your wish has basically already been granted. smile.gif

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Gaming , Xbox One Console Day One Edition , Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page