Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

You could even hook your PS4 in! I think it's going to be a killer feature for the HT crowd.

3uiakm.jpg
vilfrard and CMonMan like this.

PSN Brown-Corolla
post #123 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Well, technically you can hook up anything to that HDMI in, even your receiver or a switch. I suspect the X1 is going to be deficient in terms of local/network file playback - if I were to hook anything into that HDMI input, it would probably be something like a WDTV. Then you'll be able to watch an mkv side by side with your game, Skype or whatever you want. You could even hook your PS4 in! I think it's going to be a killer feature for the HT crowd.

They're marketing it as being only for your cable box, because pretty much everything else competes with their digital marketplace. But if they're falling back on IR blasters for some boxes, that basically means the X1 has absolutely no idea what's flowing through that HDMI input. So your wish has basically already been granted. smile.gif

I have thought about the AVR being piped through it but to really get the most out of it you would have to kinda go AVR out into the X1 and then the X1 back into the AVR and then the AVR to the TV possibly....

That way you can have the switching abilities of the AVR with voice commands of the X1 and the surround sound of the AVR with Games and movies...and I am not sure how well that would work...

So I was thinking it would be better to go DTV Box into X1 to AVR....just as an example...

I am excited that it is using an IR blaster though as you said because that means that over time atleast they can add more functions and make it a voice controled universal remote...problem with that though is similar to the Harmony One where you need to have several IR dongles to get to all equipment...

the new Kinect has been confirmed to be coming out for Windows 8 PCs as well so that could make for a really interesting HTPC with cable cards installed as well. Project Spark was also announced for W8 so maybe it would make for a realy nice gaming system....with many of the benefits minus the DRM stuff and online subscription....we will jsut have to wait and see.

I'm excited for the X1 but mainly for the media features and some light gaming like Project Spark, Forza 5, etc....

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #124 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
MS removing DRM and always on requirement for the Xbox One.

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

Story here:

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

post #125 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
I'm kind of shocked, also kind of relieved.
freemeat likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #126 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Edit, had time to finish the article and noticed that you will not be able to share games with family over the internet. bummer, I liked that plan.

I hope if I buy digital games I will still be able to access them on the cloud at a friends house....I buy all my games digitally now anyways

post #127 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 2779
Way to go Microsoft. Always playing catch-up, but it did the right thing.
freemeat likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #128 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Yeah, I definitely think so. Those that desire the benefits of digital distribution still have that choice on both platforms, it's just no longer being forced on those who prefer physical media.

The race just got considerably more competitive, consumers on either platform are going to benefit tremendously from this.

post #129 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I definitely think so. Those that desire the benefits of digital distribution still have that choice on both platforms, it's just no longer being forced on those who prefer physical media.

The race just got considerably more competitive, consumers on either platform are going to benefit tremendously from this.

Totally agree. It's always fascinating to watch these things play out/develop. Hopefully the momentum will bring a Kinect-free version for a little cheaper.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #130 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Totally agree. It's always fascinating to watch these things play out/develop. Hopefully the momentum will bring a Kinect-free version for a little cheaper.

Yep, I'm hoping that's the next step. It's adding considerable cost to the system. If its not compelling enough to stand on its own, it's just going to bog the platform down.

post #131 of 138 Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:

Indeed! This is a huge win for consumers. I was worried Sony and MS were in on it together, that would have been horrible. Thankfully Sony wasn't which lead to most likely MS getting destroyed in presales (local Gamestop 7 to 1 ratio), well the $100 price for far less powerful hardware still isn't helping MS.
post #132 of 138 Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I've been in retail for over 30 yrs. and I've managed multi-million dollar brick&morter stores. If a customer or customers didn't like our selection I always told them the same thing,"show your dislike with your wallet. Don't buy a darn thing." Nothing wakes up buyers and corporate more than losing sales. Funny how that always seems to work.wink.gif Also too often items are developed by corporate suits that are totally disconnected from their buyers. Shoot they can't even design a new store correctly. I was in charge of overseeing construction of a new store and I can't even remember how many change orders I made. It's unfortunate that the people making decisions don't have a clue what the end user wants. MS can tell who used the 360 the most, why not bring them into help. But I'll give credit to MS they actually listened to customer feedback and made the necessary changes. Although if they would've brought gamers in during design they wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

GO BLUE
post #133 of 138 Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Microsoft reverses everything they said about Xbox One at E3. The consumer has spoken!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/19/4445984/xbox-one-policy-reversal-changes

post #134 of 138 Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

But at the same time making everyone get a Kinect will allow developers to actually develop more uses for the system. It would certainly be worth the ability to turn the thing off when you didnt want it on but I imagine games where you react to something that happens for instance and then the games responds.

One example would be how my wife leans in the direction that she wants to turn when playing a racing game....maybe the system would see this and if you are in cockpit view it shows your driver leaning the same way?

Maybe you are playing a scary game and at a point when you are supposed to jump you are unaffected...so next time around the system steps it up a notch with maybe some louder effects or it alters the store to get a little more spooky...

Maybe there will be some more video games for working out...

By forcing things on the consumer it does drive technology further, sure the cost will suck but maybe it will be worth it in the long run.

One example of this from the past is the cost of XBL. I got a PS3 for the main reason that there was no cost to play online. But look what XBL brought to the consumer as a result? Much more media to the system than what the PS3 still has available today...

post #135 of 138 Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 12
People at Microsoft only changed the online features because they were losing money if they weren't losing money they wouldn't have changed it they didn't care about what we said about it.
vilfrard likes this.
post #136 of 138 Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeKing View Post

People at Microsoft only changed the online features because they were losing money if they weren't losing money they wouldn't have changed it they didn't care about what we said about it.

Wrong. They did care what we said. What we said led to them losing money. If we complained and they DIDN'T change then you could say they don't care about us. I've said it before, let your money speak for you. It's what companies react to.
vilfrard likes this.

GO BLUE
post #137 of 138 Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 AM

Liked: 20
This just in! Microsoft has dropped the price of the XBox One to $399!

/sarscam

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

post #138 of 138 Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Since the e3 news, shares of sony are up while microsoft is down. Nintendo is even downer. Shares of zynga which doesn't make console games have been struggling while king.com plans an ipo. U might know them as the makers of candy crush saga which even casual gamers are playing more than call of booty. I hope ps4 supports hbo go, only apple tv roku and xbox support it. And maybe watch espn.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Gaming , Xbox One Console Day One Edition , Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page