post #31 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Have you not been keeping up with the news?...and the NSA program called PRISM?...you are being watched and everything you do is being stored in servers without your knowledge or approval.

Yes and I am more concerned about the IRS. What do you think is happening right now? Every key stroke we make on Google, FB, Twitter or any other website is tracking us. Yet MS is going to do something evil compared to all the other tech giants out there. You really think you have privacy in todays tech world. Do I like it no, do I think the government should be kept in check yes.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

will i be able to stream bluray iso's off a NAS? if so i might consider the XB1. If not, i guess MS will have to educate me more before i 'get it'

Exactly. Can I get an XBMC-like experience out of it, playing bluray rips from a NAS with fanart support ? If not, I don't see the point this time around. I'll wait a few months after launch and then decide between PS4 and XBone. I'm on my 5th Xbox360 due to red rings, and I ain't going through that BS again.

The only thing Xbone has going for it currently for me is Forza 5, and I've been playing iRacing lately which stomps Forza 4.
post #33 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Yes and I am more concerned about the IRS. What do you think is happening right now? Every key stroke we make on Google, FB, Twitter or any other website is tracking us. Yet MS is going to do something evil compared to all the other tech giants out there. You really think you have privacy in todays tech world. Do I like it no, do I think the government should be kept in check yes.
I'm right there with you (especially with the nonsense that the IRS has been commissioned to implement starting next year). The collusion between all of them is sickening (corps included). There are only 535 bastards who need to be shown the door to institute real change in this country, but without term limits and with the same self-serving sickos being re-elected by the plebes for decades on end, it's an uphill battle.
post #34 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Basically, history has repeated itself....but in reverse. About 6 years ago, XBOX 360 took over due to being consumer friendly and able to deliver what people wanted. On the other hand, at the time, it was Sony that was tone deaf with forcing Blu Ray before it's time and selling the PS3 at a price too high to justify.

Now it seems that Microsoft has delivered everyones worst nightmare in a true Big Brother machine. Trust that the NSA scandal (although many of us have known about the data gathering for over a decade), will really make the new XBOX one to avoid.

Personally, I pre-ordered a PS4 even though I had only planned on getting the new XBOX, that is until Microsoft released it. This round of the console war is over before it even starts.

No one wants a game machine to take over the TV. Just make it play games! The Kinect has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen; its a kids toy. Ironically, gamers are mostly like me; adult men.
ATC7 likes this.
post #35 of 53 Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

Basically, history has repeated itself....but in reverse. About 6 years ago, XBOX 360 took over due to being consumer friendly and able to deliver what people wanted. On the other hand, at the time, it was Sony that was tone deaf with forcing Blu Ray before it's time and selling the PS3 at a price too high to justify.

Now it seems that Microsoft has delivered everyones worst nightmare in a true Big Brother machine. Trust that the NSA scandal (although many of us have known about the data gathering for over a decade), will really make the new XBOX one to avoid.

Personally, I pre-ordered a PS4 even though I had only planned on getting the new XBOX, that is until Microsoft released it. This round of the console war is over before it even starts.

No one wants a game machine to take over the TV. Just make it play games! The Kinect has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen; its a kids toy. Ironically, gamers are mostly like me; adult men.

Your right no one wants a console war again.

I have to disagree with you that the Kinect is dumb though. There many different gamers. In fact, my girlfriend has become more of a gamer than me. While I'm on the PS3 playing BF3, she's playing games with the Kinect. I have to admit that playing Forza without a controller is pretty darn cool. I don't know if I can play a whole night without a controller, it becomes way to awkward. It is indeed really neat to be able to control your Xbox without having to turn on your controller and it works really well. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Kinect is dumb. Having the Kinect on at all times is dumb and completely useless.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #36 of 53 Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Very good point.

One of the reasons I deleted my facebook is because I didn't want there to be a profile of me online up for grabs. But then again, I have a LinkedIn account to help find job opportunities....but that is the only reason I have it. If I want to talk to friends? I text or call them...call me old fashioned.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #37 of 53 Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
If X1 was about games, I might have considered it. I have no desire to own a Kinect, regardless of what it can or potentially can do. The online check-in to work or blocking used games are also deal breakers. I buy games from wherever I can get the best price. Generally, that's eBay and that is something I don't want to lose. Borrowing games is something else that I do too.

I am not interested in the X1's media hub capabilities either. My receiver handles the audio/video changing in the places where I would potentially hook up an X1. I have a server that holds my media content and it is available to every connected device in my house. WD TV Live streamers (I have 4) handle the streaming tasks cheaply and comprehensively. Apps such as Netflix, Pandora, etc aren't behind a pay wall and there hasn't been a codec thrown at it that it couldn't handle. If something better comes along, I can easily swap out the WD streamers for something else with minimal effort and cost. These are also reasons for why I'll stay away from "smart" TVs. These streaming devices do it better and cheaper than devices that tack streaming on as a feature.
post #38 of 53 Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 12
If the XboxOne doesn't change it's direction it will be trading places with Sony on this generation. Xbox360 captured the gaming community and left Sony in the dust. I loved my PS2 and was not happy about that but things look promising for Sony this time around. I will not be getting a XboxOne as I had planned on doing before the press release.
post #39 of 53 Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM

HA HA! Well fellas, ain't this some sclitz, Microsoft reversed it's policies on XBOX One today.

Too bad and too little too late. I've already pre-ordered my PS4 and about 3 games. I have no intent on changing back to XBOX now. Basically on the general principle that such arrogance and business stupidity even made it out of the board room in the first darn place!

I know exactly what happened. The suits, who don't game and probably think of us gamers as stupid or willing to do whatever to play. Look, I'm 36 years old. Only things I have to do, are eat, drink, and tend to my wife. :-) There was no way I would purchase that Big Brother machine. Apple would never do anything like this. Microsoft needs to mimic Apple more. Obviously Sony has learned that hard lesson.

Thank God for good ole competition! It's the American way, and further proof that the marketplace and the theory of moral hazard work to police rouge companies. Think I may even trade in my 360 even earlier now.smile.gif
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #40 of 53 Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Microsoft was going to lose a ton of money on the X1. Also, it didn't help that there are articles about the military responding to Microsoft's flippancy. This was becoming a PR nightmare. I've seen ads by Sony with the statement describing the PS4 as "Not leaving any soldiers behind." W8 has proven to be a disaster and had to change course. The X1 has followed the same path, but Microsoft has been smart enough to change course before it actually hit the market. Ballmer needs to be removed because he is making some idiot decisions.
freemeat likes this.
post #41 of 53 Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleDrone View Post

Microsoft was going to lose a ton of money on the X1. Also, it didn't help that there are articles about the military responding to Microsoft's flippancy. This was becoming a PR nightmare. I've seen ads by Sony with the statement describing the PS4 as "Not leaving any soldiers behind." W8 has proven to be a disaster and had to change course. The X1 has followed the same path, but Microsoft has been smart enough to change course before it actually hit the market. Ballmer needs to be removed because he is making some idiot decisions.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that Balmer even knows what an XBOX is. Microsoft makes the overwhelming mother load of its money selling it's business solutions, i.e. ASP.NET, SQL Server, Exchange, VISIO, MS Project, and BI services SSIS, SSRS, SSAS. Even Windows; being a consumer product along with Office is very low on the totem pole.

Saying that, I do see your point, as the buck stops with him if for nothing but accountability. I said earlier that this was stupid business in the gaming world and obviously a product of "group think" and "reaffirmation without challenge" rather than just foolish arrogance.

This always tells me a lot about the management structure of a company. With Microsoft, I am not impressed and haven't been in the past 20 years. Their business solutions are more a result of what Apple has done on the consumer side; by this I mean selling an ecosystem that once you accept a piece of it, you are then compelled to go all in or risk losing ease and efficiency. Difference being that Apple actually makes products and services that people actually want, like, and respect. This is because Apple has always respected the consumer. Microsoft only sees the customer as a means to extract cash. Both make money, yet only one is seen as hostile within the market.

XBOX One's stupidity was a carryover of this philosophy. The problem is that most businesses are just drones and look for simplicity and cohesion. Gamers are much more agile and knowledgeable, we tech guys and gamers often embrace things that are new openly and without fear. Most businesses have no idea what they need, only what they want done; not caring about the how, and either don't fully understand technology, or simply don't care. In contrast, gamers are fully engaged in their wants, needs, and desires.

Sorry to rant, but I hope someone at Microsoft will read this post. Most important, I hope that any of you who own a small business maybe, or are a manager in an enterprise environment will learn from such unfortunate lessons.
post #42 of 53 Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Liked: 46
Eh ? The only reason Apple exists is because Microsoft propped them up with hundreds of millions of dollars in the late 90's/Early 2000's. iMac ? iPod ? indirectly Microsoft funded. Microsoft can be dumb, but Apple is a crummy company with crummy products. They're just slightly better at making themselves look like they're in tune with what young white people need.
post #43 of 53 Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:

This always tells me a lot about the management structure of a company. With Microsoft, I am not impressed and haven't been in the past 20 years. Their business solutions are more a result of what Apple has done on the consumer side; by this I mean selling an ecosystem that once you accept a piece of it, you are then compelled to go all in or risk losing ease and efficiency. Difference being that Apple actually makes products and services that people actually want, like, and respect. This is because Apple has always respected the consumer. Microsoft only sees the customer as a means to extract cash. Both make money, yet only one is seen as hostile within the market.

If Apple respected the consumer then it would not have a closed system and its products would better integrate with the world at large. Apple products work best in its own ecosystem and the consumer pays a premium for that privilege. Apple makes good products but I like flexibility at a price that I feel gives me value for my dollar.
post #44 of 53 Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 AM

Liked: 10
I am very interested in seeing how this can (will) play out as an entertainment hub. MS has been talking for years about consolidating the home theater/TV interaction into one system that would do everything. Think evolution of the cell phone, today cell phones have PDAs, MP3 players and web browsers as standard features which used to require separate devices.

My one real wish for this system is that there was a physical switch for the kinect so i could know with certainty that it is turned off when not in use.
post #45 of 53 Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

are you still living in the stone age?
post #46 of 53 Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleDrone View Post

If Apple respected the consumer then it would not have a closed system and its products would better integrate with the world at large. Apple products work best in its own ecosystem and the consumer pays a premium for that privilege. Apple makes good products but I like flexibility at a price that I feel gives me value for my dollar.

Although you are proving my point about the "intent" of Microsoft's policies, I had no desire to turn this into an Apple critique. However, since you go there I will respond. It is the respect for the consumer that drives Apple to have a closed ecosystem. I got my first Mac in 1983, it was an Apple II, and I was a little kid. Over the years, and with work, i've been forced to use Microsoft products, and I know tech and IT, with a solid understanding of business. Apple has a closed ecosystem for security of the consumer. Most people barely know how to use their smart phone, so they don't know how to secure themselves or their gear online.

Apple monitors, and regulates this process for you, so you can focus on whatever it is you are online to do; this is in grand theory. Apple has always been a niche company, and for all of you smart a$$es out there, graphic designers, photographers, and videographers usually are employed in a small firm environment, so Apple classifies what they buy as consumer products. Reason why, is there are no economies of scale which is what you get in Enterprise. Microsoft and Apple are the same, they just primarily target opposite ends of the spectrum. Apple is primarily a "consumer electronics company". Microsoft is a software firm focused on Enterprise tools. Both, have crossed over a good bit over the past 15 years, but their core has not changed.

My point was this.... In the world of Enterprise business that Microsoft is an expert, policies such as those seen in XBOX One are just fine; even expected. Businesses would rather one vendor handle multiple objectives for a lower price. Issue is, usually most can't do all of these things well. For instance, Microsoft Makes great database infrastructure (SQL Server), but are not who you turn to for SAN/NAS. Their virtualization platform works, but it's not a VMware or Citrix.

Gamers, are just a subset of "tech guys". For example, most of us tech guys don't have our HDTV, Receiver, and speakers made by the same manufacturer. Those who actually do, are often laughing stock to guys here on AVS, since they have an "Home theater in a box" system from a big box store. Gamers don't want the game box to handle it all, mostly because it won't be as good at it as our current custom systems.

I may not have a $20K home theater, but my set up is far from beginner. I want my Pioneer ELITE to do most of the work in my set up, and I already have streaming devices, so I only need my game system to play game; make sense?

Most gamers saw these policies as Microsoft taking too much control that we not only don't want, but don't need, nor like the thought of.
post #47 of 53 Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:

HA HA! Well fellas, ain't this some sclitz, Microsoft reversed it's policies on XBOX One today.

They had to do this because of all the negative press, but I disagree rolling back to the old DRM model is a "win" for the gamer/consumer. The gamer would of ultimately had a much lower cost on their entire games library with the new model along with a bigger games library.
post #48 of 53 Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamaged View Post

They had to do this because of all the negative press, but I disagree rolling back to the old DRM model is a "win" for the gamer/consumer. The gamer would of ultimately had a much lower cost on their entire games library with the new model along with a bigger games library.

Exactly.
All of these whiners really missed the point of the DRM. They were too worried about their ability to resell games. And really, who doesn't love getting raped by gamestop whenever you sell a game back?
While I thought the 24 hour online check in process was a bit arduous, the rest of it was a step towards a more steam like future for games.
Fact is, valve will eventually release the steam box which might as well be a pre-assembled HTPC designed for gaming. What does steam's model look like? Very similar to the original model for the Xbox One.
Guess who the biggest game distributor for PC is today, oh hey, it's steam! Did we all bitch when steam first came out? Hell yes, but looking back, I don't think I would complain. Games are cheaper, there's no waiting, and there's a huge unified community wrapped around the whole thing.
MS was trying to take consoles into the future by moving to this model.
Instead, we got stuck back where we've been forever. If you buy the disc, it's required to play and you can't share anything w/o the disc (exactly the same as steam).

And about the Kinect, MS is making the right decision here bundling every system with a Kinect. It's the ONLY way developers will embrace a piece of hardware. They learned that lesson with the 360 and models that came w/o a hard drive, and again with the Kinect. You want to see good third party support for Kinect, then every system has to have one. You may not like motion gaming right now, but we've barely touched the tip of the iceberg in that realm.

For those discussing the HDMI pass through, the idea is not to take the place of your receiver. The idea is to sit in front of your cable box. The XBO has one HDMI in, and it supports HDMI CEC and IR Blasters. Those 2 in combination allow the XBO to change inputs on your receiver automatically as well as turn on and off your TV or any other HDMI CEC enabled device.
Here's what HDMI CEC can currently do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC
post #49 of 53 Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM

What would a typical Home Theater setup look like with Xbox One in the mix?
I have a Shaw Gateway/Portal for cable/DVR into an Onkyo HT-RC370 Receiver then to an Epson 6010 Projector.
I control everything with a Harmony 1000 remote and IR receiver/repeater.
Other HDMI inputs include an OPPO BDP-83 Bluray, an LG BP325 3D Bluray, Apple TV, XBox 360.
I assume it goes between the Receiver and the Projector.
If so, how does it get the sound back to the Receiver?
How does it control devices in front of it, such as the cable box and receiver?
Can I throw away my aging Harmony controller.
I have an Xbox One on order, so I will have to make it work somehow....
post #50 of 53 Old 07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Your cable box plugs into the Xbone rather than into your receiver, then the Xbone plugs into your receiver. The Xbone relays the IR commands it receives from your remote to an IR blaster aimed at the cable box. Xbone puts it's overlay on your cable box GUI just like Google TV does today, then sends both audio and video on its way over HDMI to your receiver. There is nothing particularly advanced or mysterious going on. At the end of the day, you'll be able to talk and wave to the Xbone to control your cable box. That's about it.

I highly recommend you keep your harmony, or get a new one, if you're in a spending mood.
post #51 of 53 Old 07-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 13
I rtied playing with the xbox one this past weekend and did not notice anything too special about it. The images and gaming did not impress me. it is nice to see the functionality to make it an entertainment hub, but other than that it is not worth the time and money in my opinion
post #52 of 53 Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Thanks for responding. If you connect it between the cable box and receiver, then I would think it can only control / overlay just TV and none of the other video sources, such as Apple TV or Blu ray. Perhaps it would still work, but would not be as useful as I had emagined it to be. On the plus side, it would be very simple to connect. If the Kinect can actually learn IR signals and map them to voice commands, then blast the appropriate IR signals, like an IR Blaster, then I may be able to get rid of the Harmony remote after all.
post #53 of 53 Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Im still trying to figure out why they called it the
xbox,
xbox 360,
then xbox one.

Seriously. I cannot come up with one good reason for called it "one". Is this the "one" box to rule them all like the "one" ring? You can throw it into the fires of mordor to destroy it, or you can let microsoft do it for you. smile.gif
Did they run this past a group of people who said "yes, that's a great name! makes perfect sense!"

And then no one thought "hey , people might call it the x-bone",
which so far describes perfectly their decisions on hardware, policy, marketing, etc in the face of ps4 competition, which seems to making all the right moves ( so far )

I'm with you guys on the nsa/prism/creepy kinect/ms thing. I think I'd put a lense cap over it at the least, but I'll be going the ps4 route.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page