Xbox One—Your Central Entertainment Hub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Gaming consoles have come a long way from the original Atari and Nintendo days. Back then, the sole goal was gaming. At the beginning of this millennium, Sony introduced the Playstation 2, which included a DVD player and changed the way we saw and used the gaming console. Then the Playstation 3 came out with a Blu-ray player. This was necessary as the amount of data needed for the new high-definition games required more room on an optical disc.

The introduction of a Blu-ray player in a gaming console was intriguing for gamers. And it wasn't long before AV enthusiasts were in a hurry to review the performance of the console's optical drive. In the beginning of the Blu-ray era, the PS3 was modestly priced compared to many others brands and outperformed them to boot. Anyone looking for a new Blu-ray player could purchase a PS3 with a 500 GB hard drive to store movies, music, and pictures, and they could browse the Internet and stream content from a PC. Oh, and they could also play games.

It's been years since the introduction of the Xbox360 and PS3, and gamers and AV enthusiasts have shared the same anticipation for the next-gen consoles. Gamers were waiting for the next-level of gaming realism, and for AV guys, it was all about 4K. In February, Sony announced the Playstation 4, and a few weeks ago, Microsoft announced the Xbox One. Both unveilings spoke about the future of gaming, and both companies announced that they would support the UHD resolution (3840x2160), but Microsoft emphasized home entertainment—the company truly wants the Xbox One to be the central entertainment hub for everyone.

The Xbox One includes an HDMI pass-through that allows users to switch from the Xbox to a cable box or other HDMI source with a simple gesture, voice command, or the standard controller. The new Xbox will not shut off completely; it's always on, even in the "stand-by" mode. When a user walks in, the console can recognize you using the new Kinect, sign into your Xbox accounts such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HBO Go, and display other personalized home page information. The integration with Skype will also allow users to watch shows while Skyping with friends simultaneously. For anyone who is a gamer, the Xbox One allows you to "Snap," which is a split-screen mode. This mode displays a sidebar alongside the main screen so you can keep an eye on the televised hockey game while playing your favorite video game.

Microsoft has stated that the new console will be equipped with a Blu-ray optical drive, but the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has yet to announce if it will be able to accommodate UHD. Plus, there has been no standardization of the new video codec (H.265) or transport via HDMI 2.0.

What is your opinion of the new Xbox One? Can gaming consoles such as this one truly become your main entertainment hub? What would be a deal breaker or a game changer for you? Will the cord-cutters still enjoy the HDMI input on the Xbox One? Tell us what you think.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 163
My opinion is that nothing about it appeals to me. I, ditching cable TV because its simply not worth it. i don't care about fantasy sports and call me paranoid but i do not trust MS to not do evil things with its Hal-9000 kinect camera/mic setup (which has to be plugged in all the time). I currently have at least 4 other devices that can deliver pretty much any content i want from local media to streaming from the web. the new xbox does not do any of it better vs what i currently own. ALSO most of the new stuff is behind the Xbox Live Gold Paywall. Paying 40-60$ a year to get access to Netflix which is free on everything else is moronic.

it also fails as a gaming console IMO with its 24 hour online phone home DRM and anti used game policies.
ATC7 likes this.
post #3 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I will be getting both the PS4 and XB1. However, I don't see how this will fit into my current HT any differently than my 360 or PS3. Everything I have runs through my receiver. I have 7 devices connected.
Randy Schmidt likes this.

Lowell

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

post #4 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I will be getting both the PS4 and XB1. However, I don't see how this will fit into my current HT any differently than my 360 or PS3. Everything I have runs through my receiver. I have 7 devices connected.

Maybe you could connect the X1 with your two most used devices or maybe between the receiver and display and go audio out of the TV back to the receiver?

I find the X1's media features to be more interesting than the PS4 but I still think too little is known about what Sony is bringing to the table to make an accurate judgement.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #5 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Liked: 10
While I may be the minority, I'm excited about the Xbox One. I'm really not worried about Microsoft looking at me. I think a lot of this is fear mongering. Yes, I get some issues people have with the connectivity and DRM but since 1) I'm always connected and 2) never buy used games its a non-issue for me.

What gets lost in all the complaining seems to be the really interesting things the One CAN do. I'm excited to see what they can do using the Xbox overlayed over my NFL games, for example. I had the Logitech Revue and it was clearly before its time....but I had/have high hopes for Google TV (and now the One). PS4 is simple, you know what you are getting, and it'll be good at it. The One, to me, has so much potential that its exciting to think where it might take us in a few years.

I think people need to sit back, relax, and enjoy the competition. Everyone should be excited, not all angry. I dunno, I guess its the internet and people need something to rage about....
post #6 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 17
I won't be getting an XB1 on release day because the system needs about a year to get the bugs out. I'll have to get one when Halo comes out, but not a minute before. While their DRM doesn't really affect me, it is an anti consumer move, and the Kinect is flat out hostile to consumers. Could they have pulled that thing more directly out of 1984? A camera and a microphone? Come on Microsoft, they have alienated their fan base to a huge degree, and the Playstation is about to get a good chunk of market share back. Microsoft not only didn't give gamers what they wanted, they gave them what they didn't want.
ATC7 likes this.
post #7 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 502
I see it a lot like a HTIB system. it'll probably work fine for basic needs, but will completely get in the way of a more sophisticated system.

I mean, I use my receiver as the 'control hub'. unless the xbox one can do a better job(and without having 4 or more HDMI inputs it never could) then it's just a second hub, complicating a system without providing any real benefit.
post #8 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

it won't, unless you go out of your way to run extra wires bypassing your receiver. i'm thinking the same way. awesome, so I can watch tv while playing a game, except, that I can't because my receiver will only display one of those at a time, and if I hook up the tv to the xbox then I can't watch tv unless it's through the xbox. I don't know, MAYBE MS will be the first company ever to figure out a way to control tv cable boxes as effectively as directly controlling the cable box, but I doubt it. and the Nazi's that control cable tv here probably have some protecting encoded in their signal preventing the xbox from even displaying it anyway...

I would agree with the poster that said xbox one is doing a lot of new things that will be interesting to watch. a lot of unproven and unrealistic things, but it'll be interested to see which ones work out and which ones fail badly. i just don't trust that it'll actually integrate with everything. as hard as MS is trying to protect its property, it seems like everybody else is doing the same. i can't even use the built in tv tuner to view the cable channels i pay for anymore. it's their decoder box or nothing.
post #9 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukley View Post

I won't be getting an XB1 on release day because the system needs about a year to get the bugs out. I'll have to get one when Halo comes out, but not a minute before. While their DRM doesn't really affect me, it is an anti consumer move, and the Kinect is flat out hostile to consumers. Could they have pulled that thing more directly out of 1984? A camera and a microphone? Come on Microsoft, they have alienated their fan base to a huge degree, and the Playstation is about to get a good chunk of market share back. Microsoft not only didn't give gamers what they wanted, they gave them what they didn't want.

I don't get the fear, put the Kinect face down, turn it towards the wall. Did everybody miss the Samsung TV revolution with web cams built in?

Lowell

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

post #10 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I don't get the fear, put the Kinect face down, turn it towards the wall. Did everybody miss the Samsung TV revolution with web cams built in?

Right? And our phones know where we are at all times and have cameras as well. I dunno, its different (kind of) and people are scared of different. In a year it will be a non-issue.
post #11 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I see it a lot like a HTIB system. it'll probably work fine for basic needs, but will completely get in the way of a more sophisticated system.

I mean, I use my receiver as the 'control hub'. unless the xbox one can do a better job(and without having 4 or more HDMI inputs it never could) then it's just a second hub, complicating a system without providing any real benefit.

I have to agree with you there. I can see the Xb1 being great in a den or living room where your TV is hooked up to a soundbar, not a theater system. I'm not excited about it, but I am curious and look forward to reviewing for the AV functionality aspect of things. I think it can be pretty cool. I will most likely sell both my 360 and PS3 and get both to see which one will make it to the theatre setup.

AVSForum
post #12 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Haha, I honestly didn't think about that! I guess the difference is the Samsung TV will still work with the camera covered, while the Kinect will probably need a clear range of vision for the xbox to function.
post #13 of 53 Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
XBox One - Your Central Entertainment Hub?

Nope. If they truly move forward with their plans for limited second-hand sales, restrictions on borrowing/lending to friends and having to have a Gold Account ($60) just so you can ALSO pay for Netflix I think the headline reads more like this:

XBox One - Your Central Entertainment Dud

I think Microsoft has missed the point of bringing a premiere GAMES console to market, especially when there are so many HTPC options out there now that do all of other things they are aiming to do, better.

And a REQUIRED, persistent ON Kinect camera? Oh hell no.
ATC7 likes this.

post #14 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Nothing will outperform the flexibility and upgradability of an HTPC.

The center of my entertainment hub is my 3 years old HTPC. I'll upgrade parts/components when needed.
KingLeerUK likes this.
post #15 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 128
$499 for a entertainment hub... :facepalm:

the games do look superb... I think the one might be a winner unless sony has something up it's sleeve

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #16 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I will say that I find the GUI looks great on the X1. I would also really like to see it have the ability to connect some sort of utility that will allow it to truly control your entire system such as an IR blaster or something.

Whatever system I wind up getting will be my bluray player/cd player/ and game console. So the number of things connected will be limited. However, I would still like to see it control the AVR.

post #17 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Have you not been keeping up with the news?...and the NSA program called PRISM?...you are being watched and everything you do is being stored in servers without your knowledge or approval.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #18 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Have you not been keeping up with the news?...and the NSA program called PRISM?...you are being watched and everything you do is being stored in servers without your knowledge or approval.

But what is more worrisome? I single camera and microphone aimed at the couch or an entire security system from ADT or Vivinit that has security cameras of the entire house and door locks that can be accessed online through your home network?

post #19 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

But what is more worrisome? I single camera and microphone aimed at the couch or an entire security system from ADT or Vivinit that has security cameras of the entire house and door locks that can be accessed online through your home network?
It depends if ADT is part of the PRISM program....guess what?...Microsoft is...smile.gif...do some reading and pay attention...crap is hitting the fan.

http://www.google.com/search?q=prism%20slides&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.aWc&biw=980&bih=249&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=avu5UdPWA4ryyAGu6oGgCQ#facrc=_&imgrc=8zQE4Sxde6ShLM%3A%3B2O56JHApcdCiMM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.washingtonpost.com%252Fwp-srv%252Fspecial%252Fpolitics%252Fprism-collection-documents%252Fimages%252Fprism-slide-5.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.washingtonpost.com%252Fwp-srv%252Fspecial%252Fpolitics%252Fprism-collection-documents%252F%3B700%3B525

Do a search for prism slides and view the companies who are involved and when they started...it will open your mind and maybe make you more aware of what you do online.

post #20 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Josh, I going to PM you as I dont want to make this thread way off topic

post #21 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Josh, I going to PM you as I dont want to make this thread way off topic
Cool that's all I'll post on this...I did so because of the camera talk on Xbox 1...smile.gif

post #22 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

It depends if ADT is part of the PRISM program....guess what?...Microsoft is...smile.gif...do some reading and pay attention...crap is hitting the fan.
It has been, since 2007 (if we're referring to PRISM). Funnily enough, MS was the first to sign up. Thanks Bill. This might be the catalyst that gets me to finally use Linux.
post #23 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It has been, since 2007 (if we're referring to PRISM). Funnily enough, MS was the first to sign up. Thanks Bill. This might be the catalyst that gets me to finally use Linux.
There you go...smile.gif

post #24 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 999
It definitely puts the Xbox further up on the do not buy list.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It definitely puts the Xbox further up on the do not buy list.
No kidding!

post #26 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I don't understand why every single component is wanting to be a media server now. I feel like everyone's TV, AVR, HTPC, blu-ray player, and gaming console all do the same things and overlap so many times. I just don't get why everyone doesn't have a computer hooked up to their entertainment center. You can do EVERYTHING on a computer.

Well I understand why TVs and AVRs add all sorts of features, because it can enable them to drive up the cost to make extra money. But the XB1 and PS4 are going to be sold at a loss hardware wise so I think the PS4 is being smart and not adding too many useless features.
post #27 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

I don't understand why every single component is wanting to be a media server now. I feel like everyone's TV, AVR, HTPC, blu-ray player, and gaming console all do the same things and overlap so many times. I just don't get why everyone doesn't have a computer hooked up to their entertainment center. You can do EVERYTHING on a computer.

Well I understand why TVs and AVRs add all sorts of features, because it can enable them to drive up the cost to make extra money. But the XB1 and PS4 are going to be sold at a loss hardware wise so I think the PS4 is being smart and not adding too many useless features.

Its hard to beat a Roku. Cheap, quite, no heat, and it just works for all my streaming needs. I definitely dont want my game console running to stream media, but I guess MS thinks people will.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #28 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

I used to be an HTPC guy and was so fed up with software updates for watching Blu-ray (cyberlink....cough..cough) and I hate Windows. I currently use AppleTVs everywhere in the house as well as an Xbox360 and PS3 and love it. I don't mind having a server with Windows on there, but that's all it is doing. I don't feel like using a mouse and a keyboard and neither does anyone else I know. It used to be a fun project, but I don't have time anymore to start troubleshooting problems and people waiting for me to update my software to allow for newer Blu-rays to play.

Media players as well as game consoles are great to stream content from a server. For rooms like the living room that only have a TV and a soundbar for instance, I really like the XB1, but for my theater, I might go with the PS4. Funny enough, that is my current setup (XB360 in LivingRoom and PS3 in the Theater).

I don't like the fact that the Kinect is on all the time either, that might be the only draw back, but definetely not scared of that. I've been carrying a cell phone everywhere I go. Who knows who has been listening in, and whoever was listening in, didn't get much out of my ordinary life...tongue.gif

AVSForum
post #29 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

I used to be an HTPC guy and was so fed up with software updates for watching Blu-ray (cyberlink....cough..cough) and I hate Windows. I currently use AppleTVs everywhere in the house as well as an Xbox360 and PS3 and love it. I don't mind having a server with Windows on there, but that's all it is doing. I don't feel like using a mouse and a keyboard and neither does anyone else I know. It used to be a fun project, but I don't have time anymore to start troubleshooting problems and people waiting for me to update my software to allow for newer Blu-rays to play.

Media players as well as game consoles are great to stream content from a server. For rooms like the living room that only have a TV and a soundbar for instance, I really like the XB1, but for my theater, I might go with the PS4. Funny enough, that is my current setup (XB360 in LivingRoom and PS3 in the Theater).

I don't like the fact that the Kinect is on all the time either, that might be the only draw back, but definetely not scared of that. I've been carrying a cell phone everywhere I go. Who knows who has been listening in, and whoever was listening in, didn't get much out of my ordinary life...tongue.gif

I just use my phone to control my computer. You could also use a tablet. Never had to software update either.
post #30 of 53 Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
will i be able to stream bluray iso's off a NAS? if so i might consider the XB1. If not, i guess MS will have to educate me more before i 'get it'
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page