Xbox One-Eighty: Microsoft removes always online DRM restrictions - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Here you go: http://www.cronusdevice.com/

There's a post in the XBox section from someone who grabbed one and loves it. Keep an eye on them going forward as well, as I'm sure they'll be making the leap to next gen controllers.

Shame about this issue with Twisted Metal; so close to being a AAA release, yet needed a little more time baking IMO. I would suggest heading over to the PS3 section, as Sony has pumped out a ton of really, really great exclusive games this Gen. And most of them can be had very cheap in barging bins now. You’re definitely missing out not giving a few a try.

I wish... needs to be wireless. it would be ideal if I didn't need the usb dongle at all, I only have two of those on the console frown.gif

i'm sure it works well, and if i'd seen this at launch it might even make financial sense, but at this point, i'm not spending 40-50bux for a hack solution. to be honest, with next gen consoles out, I don't want to spend any money on it.

and the problem still comes out that only 3rd party controllers 'work' with my hands. that's really frustrating. I hope sony allows 3rd party controllers sooner this time around. the way things are shaping up it looks like i'm gonna be stuck because of this. such a dumb reason too. mad.gif I know a lot of ppl prefer the ps controllers and are more used to them. but I know a LOT of ppl that have Xbox's ONLY because of the controllers. if sony released a xbox clone controller right now, they'd destroy MS sales, I think anyway

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrunodna View Post

I certainly never said that. Back then they were better matched to one another with I believe the edge going to MS on cost. Now the gap is seriously widened, XB1 does less, costs more and has lower specs on paper. MS has not done a good job at all of showing what the console can do that the competition cannot. It IS however in a position of having to defend it's weaknesses. Not a good position to be in at all, especially when you are asking for $100 more for it to do the same with more restrictions.

they certainly seem to have flipped. xbox360 was cheaper, more focused on gameplay, and 'lesser' specs. now they seem to be going all out making you buy more(Kinect), costs more because of that, and seems more focused on being the center of the media experience.

I think this time around the prices are on par. xbox just makes you buy 100bux more accessories. the difference is whether you want ms to control you, or not.

remember ps3's 'it only does everything' slogan. I bet you don't hear that from them anymore...

post #33 of 42 Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

sony released a xbox clone controller right now, they'd destroy MS sales, I think anyway

Seems to be part of the reason for the controller-redesign. Can't wait to get my hand on it and try it out.

post #34 of 42 Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Personally hate the 360's d-pad and my thumbs are the same length which is why I prefer Sony's controller with symmetrical sticks since I play a lot of games that use both sticks.
post #35 of 42 Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what it is exactly, but I get about 5-10mins max with a ps controller before my hands cramp up and start to hurt.

I THINK the 360 controllers fits more securely in my hands. that could be because of overall shape, or because the joysticks are positioned better for me. I don't feel I can securely hold a ps controller when using both joysticks. with the 360 controlling, my left hand can hold the controlling while using the joystick because my thumb isn't stretched out to the max.

I can tell you that controller posted above doesn't fix any of the problems I have with the current controllers.

if they would just make a controller like this, with the joysticks in the xbox position: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/dreamgear-dreamgear-phenom-wireless-controller-ps3-dgps3-3847-white-dgps3-3847/10212180.aspx?path=49d42d93819dfab865abdb79b6b9f2ceen02

I've been using these two with mixed results
http://www.amazon.ca/Raven-Wireless-Controller-PS3-Alternative/dp/B0040NPB84/ref=pd_sim_vg_4
http://www.dreamgear.net/shadow-6-wireless-controller-for-ps3-1.html

i'll admit, at this point i'm guessing there's good options, but I don't have any reason to spend more money on the ps3. the 360 does just fine. but with this next gen, i'm going to pay a lot more attention to what's available for the ps4. there's a lot of reason why I want to make the ps4 work

post #36 of 42 Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
My hands usually cramp up because the controllers are too small. I wish they would put out an adult version and a kid version. Clearly no single size is going to suit both. They could even make silicone sleeves that fatten it up a bit.
post #37 of 42 Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I am excited but dissapointed at the same time with the 180 that they made. Instead of completely nixing what they were working towards I think they should have incorporated both somehow.

For instance, Allow offline play if you have a copy on a disk but require online check in if playing a digital copy...

Why do I say this? This would allow people to play offline no matter how long they were not connected to the internet using the CD as the "Key". They could have easily still kept the sharing plan and everything as long as when playing a completely installed version you had to be online.

Would this have irritated games more? OF COURSE

anytime a DRM is implemented it can be frustrating...if done the wrong way.

But I would really like the ability to log into my account and play my games from a friends house without any disks.

I would also like to be able to share my games with friends on my "family list"

Luckily, it sounds like this initial setup is changing how the system works to make the gamers more happy. So there is a possibility to add this function back in the future.

Dude, they almost seem to make the always on DRM and 24 hour internet checks haters look like the bad guys to the 100% XBOX One fans by removing the only things that sounded ideal, which was the family sharing thing. They took the lazy way out by just eliminating those featured along with eliminating the drm and 24 hr online checks. With some clever thinking, there could have been another hybrid solution to make physical disc owners happy and the digital owners happy, maybe even while providing an incentive to choose digital, such as sharing features.
post #38 of 42 Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWise View Post

Dude, they almost seem to make the always on DRM and 24 hour internet checks haters look like the bad guys to the 100% XBOX One fans by removing the only things that sounded ideal, which was the family sharing thing. They took the lazy way out by just eliminating those featured along with eliminating the drm and 24 hr online checks. With some clever thinking, there could have been another hybrid solution to make physical disc owners happy and the digital owners happy, maybe even while providing an incentive to choose digital, such as sharing features.

It's basically like a little brat kid "Oh I can't do that, then no you can't play with my toy either" mentality. The sharing plan (if it was ever actually real and publishers would ever agree to it.) could still easily be implemented via DD games.
post #39 of 42 Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

agreed^^

and that's further evidence of what worries me about MS. if they would be pushing for digital copies by providing these incentives and encouraging ppl to adopt them, i'd say awesome, way to be forward thinking. but they always seem to be trying to force things on ppl, without really making them any better. I mean any new technology is going to have a lot of problems, and they seem to want to deal with those problems by forcing consumers to 'beta test' and ride it out.

if they kept the traditional disc ownership method, but added digital copies of a game that were either sold at a reduced rate(eliminate the cost of physical medium and more importantly the retail distribution cost) that was locked to the console, or even if they were the same price but included added features such as the family sharing thing, or perhaps credit for future updates(more incentive to stay online to collect for your 'free' bonuses).

I just feel like MS is trying to force too much, and isn't doing a very good job of making consumers actually want any of these 'upgrades'.
freemeat likes this.

post #40 of 42 Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM

I hate the "all in one" concepts on almost everything. Its a single point of failure for everything. I also find, many of these "all in one" devices are just average. A jack of all trades, but a master of none if you would. The only reason I even own console gaming systems is to play with friends online. Thankfully, many of them are finding out the PC gaming can be much better, at a reasonable price. Not to mention, small upgrade prices over years, produces better (enter whatever here). Rather than waiting for the next gen console.

I further dislike anything on the cloud. If I cannot control it, I hate it even more. Forget not having internet for days, that's an extreme, but, just basic service issues, lag issues, local network congestion, dns issues, (that one is fresh in my mind, as many people on my ISP provider couldn't access anything because of an ISP dns issue, and most had no clue how to change it.)

I wish game dev's would spend more time on actual game dev, and worry less about DRM and pirates. There will always be piracy, and you will never stop it. No matter what you do, someone will find a way to steal it. Instead of spending millions, or maybe billions on trying to combat this, make great games, lower the damn prices, and you might actually see people return to buying stuff.

Ask anyone who downloads music, movies, or tv shows why. I bet the answer most often given as number 1 or number 2 will be price. After all, I buy a movie or a game, and its complete garbage, I cannot get a refund, even if the marketing hype told me one thing, and it was actually another. They get to hide behind "Art" argument.
t-town oil likes this.
post #41 of 42 Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Xboner. Ps4tw.
post #42 of 42 Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM

I love how they were trying to force you into buy Xbox live while also taking away a lot of the family packages that many people count on. How frustrating. I'm glad they changed it back or they would have lost about 5 customers from this house alone.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page