Technicolor Announces Certification Program to Assure High-Quality 4K Upscaling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 959

While Ultra HD TVs are entering the market at a gallop, native UHD content for those TVs is lagging far behind, with many technical issues still to be finalized. So for the most part, early adopters of the new displays will be watching upscaled 1080p, which means the video processor in the TV, Blu-ray player, cable and satellite receiver, streaming box, AV receiver, or preamp/processor had better do a bang-up job.

Technicolor announced this week that it has developed a certification program to assure high-quality 4K upscaling. The program includes over 100 tests of image quality, including motion video, still images, and text using a wide variety of reference test patterns and evaluation by Technicolor's team of "golden eyes." Objective measurements include spatial bandwidth (blur and aliasing), geometry (cropping and spatial shift, aspect ratio mismatch), temporal judder and de-interlacing artifacts, grayscale clipping and non-linearity, color misalignment versus luminance, jaggies, noise reduction, sharpness-filter ringing, and graphics/GUI rendering.

The first company to be awarded Technicolor's 4K Image Certification is Marseille Networks for its VTV-122X family of video processors. Using the company's UVD (Ultra Visual Detail) context-adaptive technology, these processors upscale and enhance video content from any source, be it Blu-ray, DVD, broadcast, or streaming. There are no currently available products with this technology, but there should be some announcements shortly; in particular, the VTV-122X processors are optimized for source devices such as Blu-ray players, set-top boxes, and streaming-media players, so the first products will likely be in these categories.

For more on Technicolor's 4K Image Certification program, click here. For more on Marseille Networks' video processors and UVD technology, visit www.marseilleinc.com.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
and for a while I was hissed and booed for saying the Marvel Qdeo K2H is not up to snuff for its 4K upscaling capability. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I hope the upcoming (if ever) Oppo BD player will have this chip built into the player.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

and for a while I was hissed and booed for saying the Marvel Qdeo K2H is not up to snuff for its 4K upscaling capability. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I hope the upcoming (if ever) Oppo BD player will have this chip built into the player.
This begs the question of whether this 4k certification means anything? So you have technicolor announcing they have a process to obtain a certification. Did technicolor have a 1080P upscaling certification, no. So what makes this Marseille Networks VTV-122x processor desirable over say what a Marvell's Kyoto-G2H offers and has been shipping for some time? biggrin.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #4 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter for Marvell K2 and K2H chips to upscale to 1080p. However, upscaling BD to 4K? The Marvell K2H is nothing to write home about (and the K2H have only been shipping for about a year)

For more info on what they (Technicolor) do, just visit their website.

On a side note, Technicolor also have a Certifi3D certification that is widely used by the industry although it's unknown to maybe 99% of the consumer.

post #5 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Technicolor is also known to work with major studios such as paramount and universal on home media. If you see the technicolor logo on a bluray or dvd then that movie or show was mastered at Technicolor s facility's. They also own deluxe digital labs whose logo can be seen at the end of uni discs since the early 2000s.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I see more information mention here: HDTV Expert - Marseille’s Spectacular 4K Up-Converting Chips
Quote:
Alexy said that commercial products using Marseille chips would be available soon, but he wouldn’t identify his customers. Toshiba, however, which was diagonally across the aisle, wasn’t so circumspect. The company was showing its soon-to-be top-of-the-line BDX6400 Symbio media box and Blu-ray player, which up-converts media to 4K. Although Marseille was not mentioned in Toshiba’s descriptive material, a Toshiba rep readily confirmed that Marseille’s chip is indeed inside the box.

Oppo Beta Group
post #7 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter for Marvell K2 and K2H chips to upscale to 1080p. However, upscaling BD to 4K? The Marvell K2H is nothing to write home about (and the K2H have only been shipping for about a year)
Guess there are some assumptions here to how upscaling video quality will fare if you compare the two competing video processors. I be curious if the Marseille Networks VTV-122x internal HDMI transmitter allows DSD compared to the limitation of the Marvell's Kyoto-G2H. cool.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #8 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This is informative to this news:

BTW I do find Technicolor logo to be a bit big, and you know how crowded consumer gear is with logo's.

Have to wonder who will be next to be awarded a Technicolor's 4K Image Certification? Its not like Marseille Networks is a lock in to it exclusively. smile.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #9 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Well Scott after reading your post Im not surprise anything about 4k, it's going take couple more years for 4k fully to delevoped and the 4k I see in the stores do not impress me, so folks want to buy these new 4k TV's are getting rip off.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Not getting ripped off, it's just early adopters will have to pay more of the R&D cost.

My first BD player was CDN$2500 +15% tax. My first DVD player was CDN$1200.

Heck, my first HDTV was a CRT 28” priced was at around $4,000. So a 4K TV at 55" for $6K is not that bad.

post #11 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Once 8k tvs come out 4k tvs will price for the same as a 1080p tv. Ditto for 16k and 8k and vice versa
post #12 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Once 8k tvs come out 4k tvs will price for the same as a 1080p tv. Ditto for 16k and 8k and vice versa
Considering that a lot of people here would say that, with the size of TV I would buy, I wouldn't notice any difference between 1080p and 4K, I'll gladly take the discount on 4K and enjoy it anyway. wink.gif

The fact is, until all the workflow of movies is fully 4K (there are still some 2K DI's being used), 8K is just marketing and fantasy.

However, if the CE manufactures want to canabolize 4K with 8K announcements right out of the box to make the 4K prices hit the dumper sooner, they have my blessing.

post #13 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Check with SMPTE, 8K format have been established and fully spec-ed out a year before BD was out. Yet 4K is not yet standardized. Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

post #14 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Liked: 10
I have a question. I have seen at various shows company's showing the 8k format,if they are actively developing this format why not leap over 4k and just go into 8k .people will just get confused by and will wonder should I just wait until 8k comes out to buy something new?
post #15 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just like DVD and BD, they are both planned obsolescence. Now they're already releasing yet another near-obsolete technology.

At least right now 4K is still in its relative infancy unlike DVD and Blu-ray that are completely obsolete before they relese them to the consumers.

post #16 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just like DVD and BD, they are both planned obsolescence. Now they're already releasing yet another near-obsolete technology.

At least right now 4K is still in its relative infancy unlike DVD and Blu-ray that are completely obsolete before they relese them to the consumers.
Excuse me for being very pessimistic on that response. Just because you have NHK proceeding with 8k broadcasting and AstroDesign (Tokyo) offers a 8k portable camera doesn't mean the whole consumer side of the AV industry is going to sometime in the near future utilize 8k broadcasts or streams for consumer usage. 8K is more like for exhibition, metrodomes, or specialized theater/sports arena displays. Its very likely you'll have to have a elaborate storage, satellite links, and commercial projectors for any 8k broadcasts/playback. Do any consumer products either AV or high end computers support 8K resolutions? nope.

Just looking forward to discussion on how to manage uncompressed files that are 16 times in size compare to 1080P content. Should be a boon for storage and memory vendors though. smile.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #17 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not talking about NHK. SMPTE have established 8K spec since 2006 yet strangely haven't established 4K spec until last year.

For NHK, 4K wasn't even a consideration, their Ultra Hi-Vision refers to 8K and not 4K. Also they have shown 8K movies (Imax type of movies) at Tokyo Tower using 22.2 channel way back when in 2006 too.

post #18 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not talking about NHK. SMPTE have established 8K spec since 2006 yet strangely haven't established 4K spec until last year.

For NHK, 4K wasn't even a consideration, their Ultra Hi-Vision refers to 8K and not 4K. Also they have shown 8K movies (Imax type of movies) at Tokyo Tower using 22.2 channel way back when in 2006 too.
It was your answer to warwick8 question that was a bit too general. I had no way to know you were meaning from a SMPTE perspective versus the CE industry on the 8k topic. Is it your opinion that 8K is becoming the norm on the film side?

Oppo Beta Group
post #19 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly I don't have any opinion but when I saw that 8K demo in Japan with 22.2 sound, all I can say is that nothing since that day ever "wow"-ed me again.

post #20 of 21 Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I assume one has to pay for the certification testing and then pay a royalty for every set sold with the certification logo? Before I would buy one product because it was certified over another that wasn't certified, I would want to know whether the product was put through certification and failed etc. If a product wasn't tested, its lack of certification would not mean it wasn't as good or even better than the product that passed. Publication of the standards and tests should be mandatory so one can determine what their certification actually means.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #21 of 21 Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

For certification one has to pay for it to be certified and (in terms of THX) pays one-time royalty fee for the use of their logo.

Of course, non-certified products doesn't mean it'll be inferior. Just look at Sony X-Reality Pro 4K vs Marvell Kyoto G2H, both are not certified but Sony's engine is far superior than the unacceptable (to my eyes) Marvell.

I'm sure Sony will pass the Technicolor certification but I'm also pretty sure Sony doesn't care about certification.

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page