Dan Schinasi Explains Samsung's Ultra HD Strategy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 957

Dan Schinasi, Samsung's Senior Manager of TV Product Planning, explains his company's strategy for Ultra HD flat panels, including the One Connect module that houses the TV's processing and inputs. This module can be easily upgraded with new features and capabilities as UHD standards are introduced, preventing the TVs from becoming obsolete.

djgill and yonasf like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thanks Scott, another interesting show. Following up on David's very relevant question concerning the capabilities of Samsung's UHD panels; does anyone know what refresh rates (for both 2D and 3D), bit depth and color gamut their currently available 85" UHD TV can handle? I tried to do a google search to find out but no luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think it's great that Samsung's thinking forward but it seems like it's the same things as before w/ the color gamut, as aren't most displays today capable of deep color (10bit per color channel, 30 bit total or even more on some displays).

We still need the content makers to release material which can take advantage of it. And a means of delivery as it isn't in the bu ray spec.

Also, I'm confused about what he said regarding needing a laser source to take advantage of the expanded color gamut. Did he mean 18bit per color channel, 48 bit total, that's higher than what our current displays can handle?

Or was he referring to something else?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I think it's great that Samsung's thinking forward but it seems like it's the same things as before w/ the color gamut, as aren't most displays today capable of deep color (10bit per color channel, 30 bit total or even more on some displays).

We still need the content makers to release material which can take advantage of it. And a means of delivery as it isn't in the bu ray spec.

Also, I'm confused about what he said regarding needing a laser source to take advantage of the expanded color gamut. Did he mean 18bit per color channel, 48 bit total, that's higher than what our current displays can handle?

That's all in the pipeline.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Bit depth and color gamut are different things. Color gamut relates to how saturated the primary colors are and the ITU-T rec. 2020 'standard' for UHD defines a much wider color gamut that is defined by rec. 709 for HDTV. The UHD standard defines an substantially wider color space, especially allowing for a much more saturated green primary color and somewhat more saturated blue and red primary colors. Bit depth relates to how many individual colors can be represented/displayed and how many shades of grey are possible. The HDTV standard, i.e, using 8-bit depth, only allow for 220 shades of grey going from black to white (where reference black has a value of 16 and reference white has a value of 235). While 16 million individual colors would be possible if the full 0-to-255 range were used with 8-bit encoding (i.e., 256 x 256 x 256 = 16.78M), because of the more limited 16-to-235 range only approx. 1 million colors are possible. This is the limitation of all commercial HD video media today (except for some PC based games, photos, etc.), including Blu-ray Discs and broadcast HDTV.

Lasers produce much more saturated colors than traditional light sources and would make providing the full color gamut defined for UHD more easily realized. OLED flat panel UHD TVs can also probably support the requirements for such highly saturated primary colors.

catonic likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page