UHD/4K Was the Hot Topic at CE Week - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Give me 4K blu ray movies, a reasonably priced 4k projector with hdmi 3.0 and I'll bite. Until then, I'm perfectly content.
imagic likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 523
There won't be an appreciable difference unless compression is left to a minimum and the video bit depth and color gamut are significantly widened from current standards.

Audiophile grade, 24 bit, bit-for-bit lossless compressed, object-oriented based sound must also be a part of the equation. Any object soundtrack should be able to be scalable to 64 speakers (just like commercial venues). The consumer electronics to provide the output rendering can then be made flexible and modular (as it is not now).

The fact that it's not all about pixel count must be an undercurrent of all future specs.

If they don't add all these things NOW, UHD and even 8k will be an absolute failure.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #33 of 35 Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What will 720p and 1080p look like upscaled to 2160p? Will it be as unacceptable as a dvd upconverted to 1080? If so I am out, give me oled and keep plasma alive!!!
post #34 of 35 Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by spimm View Post

What will 720p and 1080p look like upscaled to 2160p? Will it be as unacceptable as a dvd upconverted to 1080? If so I am out, give me oled and keep plasma alive!!!

Short answer: No

Longer answer: The more resolution you start with when upscaling, the better the end result will be. As a result, properly encoded 720p will look better than DVD. Upscaled 1080p looks fantastic when processed by decent hardware.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #35 of 35 Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I don't see any real bottlenecks to 4K adoption. H.264 will make the content deliverable using the current infrastructure. I have a FIOS fiber optic line going straight to my house. So do millions of others. It can handle a lot more bandwidth than is currently being used. The only upgrade from my perspective is to get new cable boxes and my guess is the cost will go up about $10/box/month for a 4k box. FIOS may charge an extra $50 or so per month for their 4K package. No problem. Over time, competition will drive the price down to current pricing.

There will almost certainly be a 4k Blu-ray. I need to get a new player to view 4k Blu-ray. Initially the players will probably cost $400 (Or maybe PS4 will work for $399), but will probably drop to $200 after a year or so. No problem.

Streaming via things like Netflix will probably take longer to work out but that won't stop me. Streaming looks bad compared to FIOS and Blu-ray now. I stream things where I want to just view particular content and don't care as much about the audio/video quality of the content. That won't change with 4K.

4K will happen over the next few years. The industry has to make it happen and there's nothing stopping it.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page