LG LA9700 55" & 65" UHDTVs Now Available for Purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 998

UHD news is flying fast and furious these days. As reported here on AVS, Samsung just announced that its 55" and 65'" UHDTVs can be pre-ordered beginning on July 21, and they will actually start shipping in August. But Korean rival LG has beaten Samsung to the punch—at a media event held yesterday at Video & Audio Center in Santa Monica, CA, the company announced that its 55" and 65" UHDTVs, dubbed the LA9700 series, are now available for purchase, at least at that retail outlet. The new sets will be shipped to specialty stores in other major US markets over the next couple of weeks.

LG's VP of Communications John Taylor extols the virtues of the LA9700 UDHTV at Video & Audio Center in Santa Monica, CA.

The LA9700 sets offer several powerful features. For example, they employ LG's Nano backlighting technology, which was first introduced two years ago, then pulled from the market, only to reappear in the LA9700 series. Nano technology embeds tiny LEDs in a thin film behind the LCD panel to provide true local dimming. Combined with an IPS (in-plane switching) LCD panel, this provides deep blacks, high contrast, and wide viewing angles. Most other UHDTVs of this size announced to date use LED edge-lighting, which is prone to poor screen uniformity and can't match the performance of true local dimming.

Equally impressive is the fact that the LA9700 is the first UHDTV to include H.265 (aka HEVC or High-Efficiency Video Codec) decoding, which is likely to be the compression standard for UHD content. The first production units will provide this decoding in a USB dongle, but as the new standard becomes more widely implemented, H.265 will be built into the sets themselves. This is definitely a forward-looking move on LG's part, eclipsed only by Samsung's One Connect module that will be available for its UHDTVs and provide new decoders and inputs—such as HDMI 2.0—as they become available.

Still, it will be a while before lots of native UHD content is available, so the LA9700 includes LG's Tru-Ultra HD Engine video processor that applies a four-stage upscaling process to HD and SD images.

Of course, the LA9700 incorporates LG's Smart TV online platform, voice control-capable Magic Remote, and Cinema 3D with passive glasses. That last one is especially important for UHD—with an onscreen pixel resolution of 3840x2160, passive glasses present 1080 lines of vertical resolution to each eye, making the 3D experience much better than on HD sets with passive glasses, which present only 540 lines of vertical resolution to each eye. I happen to enjoy 3D, and I prefer passive glasses, so this is good news for me.

On the audio front, the LA9700 features a "sliding speaker"—a motorized, 4-channel soundbar that descends from behind the bottom of the screen when you turn the set on and retracts when you turn it off. A total of 50 watts power the soundbar and subwoofer located behind the screen. It's not a true surround system, but I'm sure it sounds much better than the typical audio coming from an ultra-thin flat panel.

Like most manufacturers that have jumped on the UHD bandwagon, LG started with a larger set—the 84" 84LM9600, which sells for $20,000. Granted, that's less than the Sony XBR-84X900 ($25,000) and Samsung UN85S9 ($40,000), but it's still out of reach for most of us. With the appearance of 55" and 65" models, the price of admittance into the UHD club is closer to what mere mortals can afford—in this case, the 55LA9700 lists for $6000, while the 65LA9700 carries an MSRP of $8000. That's $500 more than their Samsung counterparts and $1000 more than the Sony UHDTVs of the same size, but full-array LED backlighting with local dimming alone should be worth the difference in my view. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to see them under controlled conditions, which I plan to ASAP.

imagic likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks Scottie, sounds good to me and I look forward to reviews of these FALD sets. What will be LG's approach for upgrading to HDMI 2.0?
post #3 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I am just happy to see that LG didn't do the Edge lit thing... Now if these TV's can handle motion without looking like soap I would consider an LG for my next TV.

post #4 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Thanks Scottie, sounds good to me and I look forward to reviews of these FALD sets. What will be LG's approach for upgrading to HDMI 2.0?

I don't know about upgrading to HDMI 2.0; I suspect it won't be possible. FALD? Not familiar with that one...

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #5 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 832
nice to hear a company finally using reference quality backlighting for their 'reference' tv.

IF I was looking for a 'tiny' UHD, i'd go with LG simply because of that fact

i'm guessing FALD is full array local dimming.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

I don't know about upgrading to HDMI 2.0; I suspect it won't be possible. FALD? Not familiar with that one...

Until HDMI 2.0 is finalized and adopted by everyone I'd stay away from UHD, remember all those HDTV's that were component only and have now been rendered Obsolete because Blu-ray players only output 480P over component.
post #7 of 67 Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i'm guessing FALD is full array local dimming.

Ah, yes, that's probably it. Thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Hmmmm, very interesting. The sliding soundbar sounds like a good alternative to the always-visible Sony speaker system. If I recall, the Nano-LED backlighting system was a disappointment when introduced, and didn't provide the deep black levels of other full-array sets at the time like the Sony HX929 or Sharp Elite. Wonder if they've tweaked it any or if it still performs the same. In any case, good to see at least one manufacturer providing true local dimming these days. It will be interesting to see how it compared to the edge-dimming schemes offered by Sony/Samsung.
gamermwm likes this.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #9 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I meant full array local dimming. If it's not going to be possible to upgrade to 2.0 then who would want it? At least Samsung and Sony have announced their intent to upgrade. LG would be taking a huge leap in thinking people would without hesitation buy their UHD sets without 2.0. Perhaps they will make some type of announcement later but the absence of any mention of what they will do in their press release regarding 2.0 is glaring.
post #10 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is nice to see the prices dropping on these UHDTVs'. I'm holding off replacing my living room TV for two requirements.
1) HDMI 2.0. Really no point for me to upgrade until HDMI 2.0 becomes standard and available not only with HDTV but with audio receivers as well.
2) Price. Based on current price reductions and competition, I'd bet prices will me more mainstream in 2014. Should allow me to save up more $$ by then. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
only 144 dimming blocks per LG USA website. this is only half of the blocks like other high end full array LEDs. In 2012, LG launched the top of the line full array Nano LED LW9800, but it was quickly discontinued after being criticized for only having 98 dimming blocks and not so great picture quality for its price.
post #12 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 221
the last - 1080p LM9600 - LG FALD was considered to be a amatuer performer so don't expect lots of this 4K LG FALD wink.gif
Quote:
LG LM9600 review 16-05-2012

THE GOOD:
An incredible striking piece of furniture with one of the slimmest bezels we've ever seen.

THE BAD:
The LM9600 doesn't perform up to its flagship TV pricing of the expectations created by its full-array local dimming backlight. Its blacklevels are significantly worse than those of last year's LG flagship, it suffers from blotchy uniformity, and in shadow detail it lags bihind other high-end sets.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
the LG LM9600 is unfortunately only an amatuer performer.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-55lm9600/4505-6482_7-35123203.html
post #13 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 192
LA9700 - LA meaning where this will start out?
Great, people are buying, which makes the Manufacturers happy, but us Old Timers find Patience is a Virtue!
What will the Plasma Crowd do when 4K is not available in their Environment?
post #14 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

Until HDMI 2.0 is finalized and adopted by everyone I'd stay away from UHD, remember all those HDTV's that were component only and have now been rendered Obsolete because Blu-ray players only output 480P over component.

I just got rid of my first HDTV that had component and a DVI input. bought a BD player to hook up to it(wasn't too worried if it was full hd or not since the tv was only 1080i anyway) and when I unboxed it the BD player had only hdmi outputs, derp. I didn't even think about it.

if there was some reason to have UHD right NOW as opposed to buying a display 'for the future', it wouldn't be such a big deal. but it's kind of counterproductive to buy a display 'for the future' that doesn't have inputs for the future

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #15 of 67 Old 07-13-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

Meh, I got 8 years out of my component-only HDTV and 5 years out of DVI HDMI, that's the cost of being an early adopter. It's all part of this hobby. wink.gif. Besides, component-only HDTV were discontinued back in 2004 and until last year you still can get component-out blu-ray player. How long do you want want to hang-on to your TV? That argument about HDMI 2.0 is pointless. You'll easily get another 2 years until you need to use HDMI 2.0 and that only if the TV broadcast will be done in 4K, which none of the North American broadcaster is even thinking about at the moment.

So, spending $7K for a 65" for at least 3 years enjoyment is acceptable compared to my 40" NEC plasma for $12K biggrin.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 67 Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

I have a component only HDTV. I bought it for $400 when my choices in my price range were the TV I bought or a SDTV. Even though the TV doesn't have hdmi or DVI, it can still show HDTV. I think I made the right decision.

Whether or not to wait for HDMI 2.0 depends on what you want the TV for. If you're happy with a 1080 TV and will upgrade to 4k when you feel comfortable, waiting for 2.0 probably makes sense. On the other hand, if you need a new TV now and your choices are a 1080 or a 4k with hdmi 1.4, getting a 4k TV, even if it may have future compatibility problems, is better than a 1080 TV,
David Susilo likes this.
post #17 of 67 Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I just got rid of my first HDTV that had component and a DVI input. bought a BD player to hook up to it(wasn't too worried if it was full hd or not since the tv was only 1080i anyway) and when I unboxed it the BD player had only hdmi outputs, derp. I didn't even think about it.

if there was some reason to have UHD right NOW as opposed to buying a display 'for the future', it wouldn't be such a big deal. but it's kind of counterproductive to buy a display 'for the future' that doesn't have inputs for the future

These are getting bad reviews and they cost 5-8k ? WTF.....Really ?

55-65 inches...why bother................4k needs 80 and up to really to see a diff.

This whole situation is beyond stupid and if the consumer buys into a BS setup

without a legitimate way of getting native 4k then they are more stupid than I thought.

Freakin upconverting tv is all these are.
post #18 of 67 Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Spoken like a true 4K theorist. Never experienced one but judge, judge, judge. rolleyes.gif
KONICA TECH likes this.

post #19 of 67 Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Anybody who have seen 4K TV in action can see the difference for a 65" from 8ft away

2. Not all upscaling are created equal. Sony upscaling vs native 4K are very close in quality unless you are looking at tiny texts you won't be able to tell the difference. Yes, the upscaling quality is THAT good.

3. People saying 4K is useless without 4K content tend to not realize that even 4K theatres are nearly all playing 2K upscaled content.
KONICA TECH likes this.

post #20 of 67 Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have to agree, funny… I just saw the 65 inch sony playing the avengers. I had to do a double take… And remind myself.. It was simply playing the Blu-ray disc.
It was absolutely superb. I think anybody seeing it would've said it was 4k
David Susilo likes this.
post #21 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry Canada:

The LA9700 is not coming to Canada, the LA9600, EA8800 and EM9700 will be available in Canada

And they wonder why we cross the border to buy!

PS. 84LM9600 still has not dropped in price up here versus the US, and no date as to when it will either!
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #22 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

No big loss, though. More $$ than Sony, worse upscaler than Sony. Local dimming yes, but with worse uniformity than Sony.

The only two things I like better than the Sony are the speaker location and the stand.

post #23 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Who cares? Vizio tvs rock.
post #24 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah right rolleyes.gif It rocks only if you don't like black-level, don't care about upscaling quality, and only care about price.

post #25 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Who's yet to see and comment on the new LG LA9700s. I'm hoping LG may get it right this time.
post #26 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I don't know what you guys are seeing but 4K on a 55" and 65" is not that big of a difference from 1080p. The content i saw on Sony's 65" was not worth the asking price. I noticed the 4K resolution but i had to stand close and look hard. Even then, no way is it like going from SD to HD. It's a marginal improvement. The 55" was even worse.

I'd rather wait for standards to be set for other PQ aspects like REC2020 and hopefully 422 CSS. There's so many other things to improve. And no way am i buying a 4K LCD. OLED will go perfect with finalized 4K.

home theater addict
post #27 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Paraphrasing from the latest WSR magazine: "although in theory you'll need to stand 7' away for 4K, I can clearly see the difference even from 12' away"

post #28 of 67 Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Spoken like a true 4K theorist. Never experienced one but judge, judge, judge. rolleyes.gif

Dream on fanboy.............don't talk out of my back side like a lot do.

Saw a Sony 4k 84" right next to several other 1080p sets with same content.

My nose had to be right on it see a diff.

This BS about native 4k is a joke. Its an upconverting tv that is being asked

to double or even quadruple depending on how you want to look at it the available info it recives.

This is not a good plan.

I have seen the diff and it is miniscule at best on an 80 incher.

55-65 won't be noticable at all.

This tech is a joke.
dean l likes this.
post #29 of 67 Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

If you need to be that close to see the difference, definitely there is something wrong with your vision. rolleyes.gif

post #30 of 67 Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Who's yet to see and comment on the new LG LA9700s. I'm hoping LG may get it right this time.

For anyone in the Chicago land area, Abt has an unveiling on Thursday of this week. I plan on being there. One thing I noticed in the announcement is that the price went up by 999.00, so the 65" is now 9,000 and the 55" is 7,000. I don't know why they suddenly increased the prices but that's a "suggested" price. Maybe they got their nano technology right this time and are charging accordingly. I hope an LG technician is there to answer questions.

You Are Invited To An Exclusive
LG Electronics Event at Abt

Thursday, July 18th | 6pm - 8pm
The Atrium at Abt
1200 N Milwaukee Ave, Glenview

Experience the evolution of High Definition. With a resolution four times the pixel count of Full HD, every show, movie, game and sport looks clearer, richer and livelier than ever imagined. And, with LG's Tru-Ultra HD Engine you can upscale any content to near Ultra HD so you can get that richer experience today.

Attendees will be eligible to win a $500, $250 or $100
Abt gift card towards any LG product and receive LG gear*.

Drinks and hors d'eourves will be served.
Space is limited. RSVP today.

Link to 55 - 84" sets with raised prices: http://www.lg.com/us/ultrahdtv/index.jsp

I was just there Sunday and spent about 4 hours in the store with the wife and great granddaughter. That happens every time we go there.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Lg Electronics 65la9700 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv , Lg Electronics 55la9700 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page