Netflix Responds to Crop Controversy - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Netflix streaming commits another frequent crime against film lovers: foreign language films offered dubbed only, while the DVD of the same film is subtitled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

Netflix streaming commits another frequent crime against film lovers: foreign language films offered dubbed only, while the DVD of the same film is subtitled.

Tell me about it... I was so stoked to see Avalon in HD, then mortified a few minutes in when I found it was dubbed in English! Ugh and double ugh. I just paid $25 for a used BD copy of it, just to hear it in the original Polish.
post #33 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild2 View Post

I found that amazon is also guilty of this. "Summer Rental" with John Candy was on Nick last night in widescreen HD with a magnificent picture, yet when I went to amazon it was a 4:3 VHS looking picture.
That is because the original came out on VHS and was only 4:3.

Most likely Nick used a scaler and some digital cleanup on it, to get rid of the noise.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

What year did you watch? There are multiple years for that title.
post #35 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 10
Sort of related but not. I'm still on the "disc" service at Netflix and I ordered West Side Story (1961) which is supposed to be wide screen Panavision but what I received was "Academy format" pan and scan. I called up Netflix and complained and they said that they'd send a replacement. The replacement was also pan and scan. In their listing of the movie it states "wide screen anamorphic 2:20:1" I thought that this was just wrong. I got the DVD copy from my library and indeed it was in wide screen format (so wide that there are letterbox bars on the top and bottom.) The first major clue that the DVD was not a "scope" picture was the immediate notice when the disc is played "this film has been formatted to fit your screen".
post #36 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 PM

There were three printed versions of it. 16mm, 35mm, 70mm. Negative format was 65mm. Only for 35mm prints, was it 2:35:1, everything else was 2:20:1. Few theaters were setup for 2:35:1, so everyone saw the 2:20:1 format. When it was restored in 2011, it was done in Digital Cinema 2:20:1 & Panavision.

As has already been stated, Netflix can only send out what they get from the studios on the Master, to either create their rentals, or the mass discs from the studio to distribute as rentals. They cannot just up and create a format to deliver to their customers, unless they get it from the studio in the format customers want.

BTW, the 50th Anniversary edition is in Wide Screen. http://www.amazon.com/West-Side-Story-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B005BDZN62/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1374905586&sr=1-1&keywords=west+side+story+50th+anniversary+edition Netflix shows that they rent the Blu-Ray edition.

Joseph, did you double check the unit you are playing back the disc on, to make sure that it is setup properly? What is the make & model# of the player or device you are playing back this movie on?
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page