LG's Curved OLED HDTV Arrives, Samsung OLED Coming This Week - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 1733
The future of high-definition television is finally here. The introduction of consumer OLED HDTVs was "just around the corner" for so long, some A/V enthusiasts began to doubt the futuristic flat panels would ever appear on store shelves. The wait is finally over, as the very first curved OLED HDTVs from LG arrived at Best Buy's flagship Magnolia location in Richfield, Minn. and Samsung's curved OLED entry is expected, literally any day now.

LG and Samsung are both offering curved OLED HDTVs for sale in the USA

One model—the LG 55EA9800—is available immediately for the paltry sum of $14,999, at the Richfield Magnolia location. That signals the official debut for U.S. sales of OLED HDTVs, with availability expanding to Best Buy Magnolia stores in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle and San Antonio in coming weeks.
Quote:
"The curved design is intended to provide a more immersive experience for viewers, though $14,999 is a bit too steep any way you look at it. Samsung, meanwhile, has a curved 55-incher of its own -- that OLED screen arrived in Korea late last month, and is rolling out to (very) select US retailers this week, too." - source

The debut of OLED comes exclusively in the form of curved-screen HDTVs. Curved panels are great for an individual sitting rather close to the screen, such as a video game enthusiast—but not quite as ideal for use in a typical home theater, with multiple viewers sitting at a comfortable distance. Will curved screens appeal to serious videophiles? Can these first OLED displays appeal to potential buyers who anxiously awaited their arrival, and believe in the promise of image quality exceeding the best plasma has to offer?

We will find out soon enough, since Samsung announced that they are shipping curved OLED HDTVs to the USA, and Value Electronics of Scarsdale NY expects to be the first store to receive the Samsung KN55S9 55-inch curved OLED—also priced at $14,999—as soon as this week. It won't be long before the first comparisons and reviews are in. I wonder how the legendary Pioneer Kuro will hold up vs. the new OLED kid on the block, which purports to render the deepest blacks of any commercially available flat-panel TV technology.
Quote:
"The news comes via Value Electronics, a high-end dealer based in Scarsdale, N.Y. CNET spoke with the owner, Robert Zohn, who says his first shipment of two of the new TVs is on its way. He believes he'll be the first U.S. dealer to be able to sell the product." - source

This is an amazing year for home theater enthusiasts. Besides the introduction of numerous LED/LCD-based 2160p UHDTVs, there was the introduction of several new Plasma panels featuring unprecedented performance for the size and price. Now OLED is finally here, and commands the highest premium per inch of any technology, but also promises the highest-fidelity image quality available in a "standard" 1080p HDTV set. Flat versions announced at CES this year will hopefully debut soon; for now, videophiles can rejoice that OLED is finally available in some tangible form aside from a smartphone. The future of flat-panel display technology is looking brighter.

Is anyone planning on buying one of these first-generation curved OLEDs?

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Sure... I'm planning on it... but reality is very different.

thanks for the write up

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #3 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 566
looking forward to hearing reviews. very interested to hear if these will actually improve on plasma/lcd performance or just have a different combination of pros/cons

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Not that I'm in the market for a $15K TV, and despite the fact that my primary use for displays is gaming....there's no way I'm going to buy a fixed curved screen. Not unless the content is made specifically for it and takes the curve into account.

This seems like one of those situations where they merely asked themselves if they could, and didn't stop and think about whether they should. I can somewhat see the appeal of a curved screen, but I'm not on board until the screen itself is flexible, and you have direct control over its shape.

I do really want an OLED though!
chirpie and repete66211 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #5 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've learned my lesson in buying first generation anything.

I'm not on board with the curved screen. While I can understand the need for a curved screen using a projector, curved screen on direct view makes no sense to me.
OptimusNeo09 likes this.
post #6 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 15
Curve screen on a 55", I don't think so.
post #7 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Don't the Manufacturers take surveys of their clients?
LG and Samsung - Curved OLED's - sure they look cute and different, but as you have been reading already, who wants one?
SONY HDTV 4K with side speakers - non-detachable - killed a lot of sales!
All Manufactures with 4K Upconverting and Pass Through AVRs - won't allow the Sony new Media Server to play through them, even Sony's own new AVRs!
Man the life span of today's electronics off the shelves to recycling is getting shorter! In other words, redundant is soon as it leaves the shipping dock! What are these guys going to do once, when you're born, you get a chip implant!
OptimusNeo09 likes this.
post #8 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
The curved screen reminds me of the amc screens
post #9 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 17
That's going to be like mounting a Dorito on the wall.
post #10 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post

That's going to be like mounting a Dorito on the wall.

They are not wall mountable. Problem solved?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #11 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 315
curved is definitely a face palm. So they are marketing 15k tv's to gamers now? - face palm after jumping off the bridge (life isn't that good) imo.
repete66211 likes this.
post #12 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

curved is definitely a face palm. So they are marketing 15k tv's to gamers now? - face palm after jumping off the bridge (life isn't that good) imo.

I have not seen these TVs marketed to the gamer demographic, but I was also hard pressed to figure out who else it would be good for in the U.S. market. These TVs were designed for Seoul and Tokyo residents. In the USA, I expect they will be purchased for the "bling factor," and soon enough you'll find them in the master bedrooms of a bunch of luxury yachts.

post #13 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I thought curved screens were for really large cinemascope screens so there is no pin cushion effect? Why does a 55" screen need to be curved? If it is not wall mountable, then half the audience is already looking away. If you can wall mount it, it takes away from the flat not sticking out of the wall look.
repete66211 likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #14 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Fast track the flat ones already and preferably add 70" or bigger (better luck in 2014/5).
post #15 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Fast track the flat ones already and preferably add 70" or bigger (better luck in 2014/5).

70"? Maybe 2016...

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #16 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 14
Will be stopping by this store after work tomorrow. Just curious to see this thing in real life.
imagic likes this.
post #17 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedbear View Post

Will be stopping by this store after work tomorrow. Just curious to see this thing in real life.
If you get a chance to post your impressions, please do.

post #18 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Awesome I'm really excited to read a review and even more to see one with my own eyes. Hope burn-in is not too big of an issue as has been reported. Curved screen is way cool.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #19 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Awesome I'm really excited to read a review and even more to see one with my own eyes. Hope burn-in is not too big of an issue as has been reported. Curved screen is way cool.

It may be cool, but not for me. Seems more like a proof of concept design, and not very practical if you have people over to watch a game or movie.
post #20 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

It may be cool, but not for me. Seems more like a proof of concept design, and not very practical if you have people over to watch a game or movie.

It's literally for one person, in a dark room, watching a well-mastered movie on Blu-ray, sitting about 65" from the screen. In those conditions, the deeper than Kuro blacks and the screen curvature optimized for one viewer could create a personal home theater of unparalleled fidelity. Basically, a curved screen makes little sense for a family TV—but it does make sense for a personal reference TV; not unlike expensive, full-sized headphones.
Scott Wilkinson likes this.

post #21 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 14
15k for the curved TV, does it come with a pair of OLED 3d glasses ?
post #22 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I´m just interested if Oled will come with the possibilty for absolute blacks. Curved or not. I´ve have waited for it since pioneers concept plasma that never saw the daylight (2008). I remember that I was very exited. Will I be as exited now.. ? smile.gif
post #23 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 172
One thought: Curved set will set the Stand back further from the edge so it won't tip over?
$15K, and no 4K?
post #24 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I doubt it's bad, it's almost unspoken of on the PlayStation Vita and even then, people who have it never post proof pictures or end up getting it confused with the MURA effect. They seem pretty robust these days. I've played one game for 3+ hours on my PlayStation Vita and all way good.

I'm looking forward to OLED dropping in price. It's the first real display to have all the pros of a CRT in a small form factor. Virtually no input lag, perfect blacks, vibrant colors, no ghosting, and no motion blur are all exciting aspects of this technology. It feels like the first real evolution of televisions because lets face it, those old Sony HD XBR and XS CRT's are still better than any modern plasma or LCD in certain aspects. It's strange to think we went from TV's that had perfect blacks, no input lag, amazing shadow detail, no motion blur, extremely accurate colors, and no clouding issues to TV's that are still to this day plagued with issues. Plasma has gotten pretty close, but it'll never compete in brightness, especially as they can not maintain the same brightness at all times due to voltage regulators. That's what really makes OLED so exciting because if done right, these could be the TV's we have always been waiting for. The only drawback we are going to have with them is color accuracy, but even that seems to be getting much better. It must be as Sony apparently has convinced some of Hollywood to quit lugging around CRT displays on film shoots and use their small OLED displays as many Hollywood directors were basically stockpiling CRT's as LCD's really didn't really meet the requirements they needed.
post #25 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not to go off topic, but where the heck is Panasonic???

post #26 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
^They're supposedly "ready to go" to production with the printing method according to a company insider. I remain skeptical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

70"? Maybe 2016...
Take that optimistic estimation with an extreme grain of salt.
post #27 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 PM

Liked: 16
I love that it's finally out, but it'll be quite a while before I'm in the market for an OLED. Assuming the technology is all it's hyped to be, I won't be getting one until their in the 80"+ range, are 4k, have flat screens, and have dropped down to at most $5,000, as well as having all the bells and whistles of a modern tv.

Still cool that the technology is finally being put into production in something larger than a phone though.
post #28 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'd heard whispers from LG brand reps that the curved OLED would be hitting BB stores within a few weeks. Didn't really believe them, but I guess they were right. As impractical as it is, can't wait for it to roll out to more locations so I can finally see one. last OLED TV I saw in-person was the .XEL-1

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #29 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Rumors of Lg n Samsung showing off 70" inch oleds at Ifa 2013 so it may not be far off.. cool.gif

Samsungs design is "odd" like the lg curved oled design better but the samsung dual view where u can see 2 diffrent tv programs at once with using 2 a-b 3D glasses is in its faviour smile.gif
post #30 of 105 Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^They're supposedly "ready to go" to production with the printing method according to a company insider. I remain skeptical.

I hope so, not that I have the funds to be an early adopter...

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Oled Tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page