post #271 of 476 Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

Don't know if you guys have noticed, but the Chromecast home screen text pixel-shifts every few seconds, and the dim backgrounds change of course. Good for us plasma guys. smile.gif

Yes I had thanks - as a Plasma owner I do watch for these things.

That said most streamers, game consoles, STBs etc seem to be plasma friendly these days - albeit normally with some sort of screen saver.
Nethawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Why are your feelings at all relevant? What is your personal experience with it, or are you just spewing nonsense as an iFanboy?

I don't own a single apple product. My phone/tablet is android. My PS3 is my media device. I'm just sick of Google releasing products that are half baked and not ready for prime time. Just like GoogleTV.

Again I emphasize that Google only cares that they can gather your information and send you advertisements. Thats the bottom line. If you expect to get any decent technical support from them you are mistaken. Pull up Googles financials and you will notice they make $0 on hardware sales. They basically give them away for free to force feed you more ads. Do you really think a company with that type of philosphy is going to focus on product quality and service?

I'll give you another example. The new Nexus7 advertises 9 hours of battery life. But they put in small print the test is done with WIFI OFF with display at 50%!!! Are you kiding me! What kind of half-azz test is that. If I want a high quality hardware product no way in hell am I buying anything from Google directly.
post #273 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I don't own a single apple product. My phone/tablet is android. My PS3 is my media device. I'm just sick of Google releasing products that are half baked and not ready for prime time. Just like GoogleTV.

Again I emphasize that Google only cares that they can gather your information and send you advertisements. Thats the bottom line. If you expect to get any decent technical support from them you are mistaken. Pull up Googles financials and you will notice they make $0 on hardware sales. They basically give them away for free to force feed you more ads. Do you really think a company with that type of philosphy is going to focus on product quality and service?

I'll give you another example. The new Nexus7 advertises 9 hours of battery life. But they put in small print the test is done with WIFI OFF with display at 50%!!! Are you kiding me! What kind of half-azz test is that. If I want a high quality hardware product no way in hell am I buying anything from Google directly.

Has Google or some other for profit company done something to harm you? You seem angry about your perception of way they do business.

If I were to buy into your perception of what Google is all about, then this would be my question for them:

If you are really interested in as many eyeballs as possible viewing ads that you serve up, then why are you supplying 'crappy' hardware making it difficult for me to fall into your trap?

Doesn't make any sense........

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #274 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Do you really think a company with that type of philosphy is going to focus on product quality and service?

Yes...because they need to make money on those ads...and they can't protect their massive ad revenue by pushing people to controled environments like Apple/Amazon with poor quality products.

I own a Macbook Retina, a Kindle, a Nexus 4, a Roku 3, a PS3 and now a Chromecast so I don't have any glaring loyalty issues. smile.gif

PSN ID: Kranin
post #275 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Has Google or some other for profit company done something to harm you? You seem angry about your perception of way they do business.

If I were to buy into your perception of what Google is all about, then this would be my question for them:

If you are really interested in as many eyeballs as possible viewing ads that you serve up, then why are you supplying 'crappy' hardware making it difficult for me to fall into your trap?

Doesn't make any sense........

Just look at Google's history in hardware.

Phones - Nexus1, Nexus S, Nexus 4
Tablets - Nexus 7, Nexus10
TV - GoogleTV, Nexus Q
Chromebook
Chrome Pixel

Every single of these products have been disappointing and none are BEST IN CLASS. Only redeming quality is they are cheaper than Apple stuff. Try to get customer service or technical service for your GoogleTv and they will laugh at you. Hell they probably dropped all support on their last two TV devices.

Sorry I cant recommend any Google hardware until they show they are committed to the products itself not just feeding you ads.

I'll give you another example: Android OS. I have a phone that is not even 2 years old and I can't even get the latest version of Android. Because of this I can't even run some of my favorite apps. Yet other people on iOS have 4 year old phones and have the latest version of iOS. Google won't update my phone. Only the phone company can, and they wont since there is no money for them. What a joke. Hell, 50% of Android users are on a OS version that is over 3 years old since neither Google nor the telcom want to send updates.
post #276 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post

Yes...because they need to make money on those ads...and they can't protect their massive ad revenue by pushing people to controled environments like Apple/Amazon with poor quality products.

I own a Macbook Retina, a Kindle, a Nexus 4, a Roku 3, a PS3 and now a Chromecast so I don't have any glaring loyalty issues. smile.gif

WRONG.

Google makes WAY more money on advertising on iOS (Apple) than they do with Android.
post #277 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM

But not on Apple TV they don't...and that is the more relevent comparison given that this is a thread pertaining to the Chromecast. Not to mention the enormous success of Android, the Nexus 7 and Chrome in protecting that ad revenue.

Google products are generally excellent...the Nexus Q being the exception...but you can't really include it given that Google gave it away for free to the folks that tried to purchase it.

It is easy to trash Apple for the closed nature of its ecosystem, the bloated monstrosity that is iTunes, the ongoing mess that is Mobile Me/iCloud, the huge profit margins they make on their products (and don't even get me started on Microsoft)...but that would be very short sighted. Apple is an extraordinary company...as is Google...as is Microsoft...they each bring something different to the table.

Most importantly we the consumers benefit from their competition with each other. Chromecast is another wonderful entry into that ongoing competition.

Of the Amazon, Google, Apple, Roku and Sony products I have owned, the only ones that have prematurely failed on me have been a PS3 Fat and the Macbook Retina. Any issues I've had with my Google Devices I have been able to resolve myself with a modest amount of internet research.
Nethawk likes this.

post #278 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'll give you another example: Android OS. I have a phone that is not even 2 years old and I can't even get the latest version of Android. Because of this I can't even run some of my favorite apps. Yet other people on iOS have 4 year old phones and have the latest version of iOS. Google won't update my phone. Only the phone company can, and they wont since there is no money for them. What a joke. Hell, 50% of Android users are on a OS version that is over 3 years old since neither Google nor the telcom want to send updates.

For non-Nexus phones, it's not that Google doesn't want to send updates, it's that they can't. That is completely up to the manufacturer and carrier. On Android the only phones guaranteed to get timely updates are the Nexus and recently new "Google Experience" GS4 and HTC One phones.
Drlink likes this.
post #279 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnmb View Post

On Android the only phones guaranteed to get timely updates are the Nexus and recently new Google experience GS4 and HTC One phones.

+1. Even the Google experience GS4 and HTC One phones are subjected to an additional delay because the manufacturer has to tweak with the update before it gets distributed (unlike the Nexus devices)...but it is going to be FAR faster than when a Carrier has to approve it. eek.gif

See below:

http://www.geek.com/android/google-play-edition-updates-1560580/

post #280 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Here's the state of technology today. Google is innovating. They're one of the top companies providing consumer goods and services to do so. The previous innovator(s) are lagging behind.

If you don't like what they do don't buy their products, don't use their services, and by all means, go piss on someone else's thread. This is a discussion about a specific product, and not Google's business strategy.

post #281 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's the state of technology today. Google is innovating. They're one of the top companies providing consumer goods and services to do so. The previous innovator(s) are lagging behind.

If you don't like what they do don't buy their products, don't use their services, and by all means, go piss on someone else's thread. This is a discussion about a specific product, and not Google's business strategy.

LOL. So taking a Roku and stripping half of its features is innovating?

One of the top companies providing goods? Like what? Smart Phones? Tablets? TV devices? They have all been massive failures. Motorola which they bought lost over $300Mil last three months making smartphones. They are anything but innovators in electronic goods.

The only reason why I bring up Google's business strategy is because it is relevant as regards to the type of support they will give the product. I'm sorry but tech and customer support is very important to me. I don't want to buy a product that won't be supported or won't receive timely software updates. Google has a history of lacking in both. All you need to do is look at there last 2 TV products.
post #282 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

LOL. So taking a Roku and stripping half of its features is innovating?

One of the top companies providing goods? Like what? Smart Phones? Tablets? TV devices? They have all been massive failures. Motorola which they bought lost over $300Mil last three months making smartphones. They are anything but innovators in electronic goods.

The only reason why I bring up Google's business strategy is because it is relevant as regards to the type of support they will give the product. I'm sorry but tech and customer support is very important to me. I don't want to buy a product that won't be supported or won't receive timely software updates. Google has a history of lacking in both. All you need to do is look at there last 2 TV products.

OK you don't like Google's business model - we get it.

Do you have any specific comments - escpecially hands-on experience - with Chromecast?

I have an Apple TV, multiple Roku's arround the house and now a Chromcast. The Chromecast apps (Netflix and YouTube) work great and the option to navigate from a smart phone a good addition. Chromecasting (still in beta) needs fast PC and is not that useful to me yet.

Chromecast seems to be selling well and is getting generally positive reviews in both the tech and maistream press. Given its cost I think we are likely to see a lot of developers all over this we hopefully some new and interesting boroducts and business models.

At $35 what is there not to like? Oh and it has received its first update already http://www.androidcentral.com/chromecast-getting-its-first-ota-you-dont-need-do-anything
post #283 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

Could you elaborate a bit? I'm curious what controls the Panny has (other than transport) for controlling Netflix. I'm looking to program my Harmony smart with some dedicated buttons for Netflix and Amazon instant
It's nothing special, same as every other player. All my players from the past few years have had a Netflix button. What player do you have, and why couldn't you just learn any missing commands?
post #284 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'll stick with appleTv/Roku/PS3 which are far superior devices that I know will have continued support. Remember GoogleTV?
And my HTPC is far superior to all of those. But none of the above are as simple, cheap and portable as the Chromecast.

Google TV failed because it was useless. The Chromecast fills a niche for those without a streaming device and those who want a cheap portable one. It's not aimed at you, hence you understandably have no interest in it.
post #285 of 476 Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Got the following this AM:
=====
DELIVERY ESTIMATE: THURSDAY, AUGUST 8, 2013 - SATURDAY, AUGUST 10, 2013 BY 8:00PM
========
They confirmed, yesterday that I'd get the Netflix details after shipment. I ordered afternoon on 7/24.

To rebut a post above about Google who said Google is worthless.

Google Maps has become a defacto standard around the world. Apple tried - failed.
Google Voice is very useful for those many of us that make good use of it.
Google Earth is used by businesses (news etc) and individuals around the world.
Android is an open system which allows for mfrs. to customize it the way they want - which is why they will become the std. - the way PC overwhelmed Apple.
And, of course, no one has approached their search engine.
And their email usefullness

All the above is free to end users. If I wanted, I could use a pay email. How about this "free" forum? Ad supported.
post #286 of 476 Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 AM

Liked: 10
in 2-3 months chromecast will be able to pretty much play/cast everything

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110558071969009568835/posts/RrqNHyg46Tr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-z2E8BwTU
post #287 of 476 Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Update: Chromecast update breaks root-friendly exploit

We hope you weren't planning to tinker with your Chromecast this weekend. GTVHacker has confirmed that a recent firmware update to Google's streaming media stick plugs the bootloader exploit that many are using to get root access.

Some XDA-Developers members have tried maintaining root by flashing recovery images and disabling signing keys, but those aren't reliable solutions -- we've seen a few reports of bricked Chromecasts. If you're cautious, it may be best to wait until more adventurous owners find a vulnerability in Google's newer code.

Full Story Here

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #288 of 476 Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Got the following this AM:
=====
DELIVERY ESTIMATE: THURSDAY, AUGUST 8, 2013 - SATURDAY, AUGUST 10, 2013 BY 8:00PM
========
They confirmed, yesterday that I'd get the Netflix details after shipment. I ordered afternoon on 7/24.

To rebut a post above about Google who said Google is worthless.

Google Maps has become a defacto standard around the world. Apple tried - failed.
Google Voice is very useful for those many of us that make good use of it.
Google Earth is used by businesses (news etc) and individuals around the world.
Android is an open system which allows for mfrs. to customize it the way they want - which is why they will become the std. - the way PC overwhelmed Apple.
And, of course, no one has approached their search engine.
And their email usefullness

All the above is free to end users. If I wanted, I could use a pay email. How about this "free" forum? Ad supported.

I never said Google was worthless. I am well aware of how awesome Google Maps, gmail, search, is. My comment was specificly about how google sucks at making HARDWARE. And especially providing quality technical support and software updates for these hardware devices. I wish Google just stuck to the software side of things.

The wise saying: If the product is FREE, than YOU are the product. Google makes money by keeping track of every search you do. Reading all your emails, using GPS to track where you've been and see who's in your phone book.(ever read the fine print when you install an app on android?) They use all this information to sell ads to you. Which is fine but still creepy. But worse than this is they send this information to the NSA. Look up project PRISM. There next step is to get in your living room and see what you watch and when you watch. That is all chromecast is. If you are okay with your privacy being violated go right ahead.

Yes other companies like Apple also keep tract of your activity. But Apple's MAIN revenue stream is not selling this data. Google's main revenue stream is to SELL this data to the highest bidder.
post #289 of 476 Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

And my HTPC is far superior to all of those. But none of the above are as simple, cheap and portable as the Chromecast.

Google TV failed because it was useless. The Chromecast fills a niche for those without a streaming device and those who want a cheap portable one. It's not aimed at you, hence you understandably have no interest in it.

I'll argue both the Roku/Apple TV are both easier to use than the chromecast. For the simple reason you don't need another device to run it. And chromecast isn't really that portable since for most tv's you still need the AC adapter or hdmi plug in. Comparing the complexities of a HTPC to a Roku is laughable, and you know it too. If you can run a vhs/dvd player you can run a roku. I'm pretty sure my dad would have a hard time setting up a chromecast. But really the worst part of chromecast is you need to run EVERYTHING through ChromeOS. Which means everything you watch will be kept in a log by google. Spy away. Remember: Apple/Roku makes money selling you PRODUCTS. Google makes money gather INFORMATION about you and selling it to advertisers.
post #290 of 476 Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reading all your emails, using GPS to track where you've been and see who's in your phone book.(ever read the fine print when you install an app on android?) They use all this information to sell ads to you. Which is fine but still creepy. But worse than this is they send this information to the NSA. Look up project PRISM. There next step is to get in your living room and see what you watch and when you watch. That is all chromecast is. If you are okay with your privacy being violated go right ahead.

Yes other companies like Apple also keep tract of your activity. But Apple's MAIN revenue stream is not selling this data. Google's main revenue stream is to SELL this data to the highest bidder.
I admit that seeing the "We will be spying on you " disclosure when dl'ing an app is scarry. I guess I have resigned myself to this since starting to use Gmail years ago. OTH, I regard Snowden as a hero for at least making everyone aware that all this data is being turned over to the gov't. That info was never disclosed by anyone - altho being a child of the 60's learned to question every government move. (This government invasion of privacy is bring together those of us on the left with even some of the Republicans.)
post #291 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM

I've been using my Chromecast for the last week and thought I'd pass on my impressions. I have the Chromecast plugged into my Sony STR-DN1030 (AC via USB on the Receiver).

Installation of the android app, the Mac app and setup of the Chromecast were visually pleasant and simple.

Video quality when casting from my Nexus 4 was smooth and gorgeous, but I did encounter a problem. YouTube worked perfectly, but casting Netflix did lock up my N4 once (necessitating a reboot of the N4). Some quick research online shows that this a known issue which supposedly Netflix and Google are both aware of. Users have experienced the device locking up when it goes to sleep on both Netflix and YouTube...though I have only experienced it on Netflix.

Casting YouTube and Netflix from my Macbook Retina were both flawless.

My spouse is giddy about the Netflix feature as she consistently struggled with using our PS3 to operate Netflix, and eventually stopped using it all together if I wasn't around. She easily took to operating Netflix via the Chromecast within minutes.

I have been loving YouTube via the Chromecast because the YouTube app on the PS3 has always been broken for me.

post #292 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll argue both the Roku/Apple TV are both easier to use than the chromecast. For the simple reason you don't need another device to run it. And chromecast isn't really that portable since for most tv's you still need the AC adapter or hdmi plug in. Comparing the complexities of a HTPC to a Roku is laughable, and you know it too. If you can run a vhs/dvd player you can run a roku. I'm pretty sure my dad would have a hard time setting up a chromecast. But really the worst part of chromecast is you need to run EVERYTHING through ChromeOS. Which means everything you watch will be kept in a log by google. Spy away. Remember: Apple/Roku makes money selling you PRODUCTS. Google makes money gather INFORMATION about you and selling it to advertisers.
Just playing devil's advocate. I don't normally stream from my HTPC, I don't own a Roku or Apple TV. I've used them, and think they're wonderful, but I will never buy one due to the expense. My BD players do more for a lot less money.

I have yet to use the AC adapter on my Chromecast, as every TV I've tried so far has a USB port and HDMI. If I'm limited to composite, I won't be watching anyway. I'm too spoiled by HD. I already keep a USB cable in my laptop bag, so that's nothing additional to carry. That beats carrying remotes, cables and batteries. I don't ever anticipate using Chromecast in my home (except to play with) since I already have several streaming devices as good or better than Chromecast. But it is portable and easy to use, for me at least, which is all that matters. I wouldn't buy one for Grandpa, nor would I buy a Roku or Apple TV. His smart TV and blu-ray player work just fine.

The rare occasions I do use my HTPC streaming, it's dirt simple. I just use my remote for up/down/left/right and ok, just like you do on a Roku or other streaming device. Granted, Grandpa probably couldn't set it up, but he could certainly use it. If your HTPC isn't that simple, you're doing something wrong.

While I don't like the spying aspect, everybody else spies on you too. If you think Apple doesn't do it, think again. Heck, Xbox One literally watches and listens to everything you do in addition to what you watch or play, including everything you watch on TV. Google only tracks what you type and click (and now watch). So if I had to pick a lesser of two evils, I'd pick Google.

The more I use Chromecast, the more I am impressed by its elegance and simplicity. It's a very clever design, and you can't beat the price. Case in point. I had my son initially set up the Chromecast for me while I went to do something else. Five minutes later, he was watching Netflix. I asked if he downloaded the app for me, and he said, "there is no app". That blew my mind. There is no spoon. An $11 device that does this much is simply amazing. You can nitpick this and that, and say $100-$1000 devices are a lot better. Of course they are. But for $11, this in one hell of a streaming device and one I'm glad to have in my laptop bag.
post #293 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

For those waiting for theirs from Amazon. Mine was in mailbox today. Shipped from Ky. to Ca. Email this weekend said wouldn't get it til Wed. or Thurs. I ordered late on the 24th.
post #294 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
I've had the chromecast for a week and a half now. It fits a nice niche in the home - namely to provide a quick and easy interface for youtube or blasting a browser tab. I've got plenty of devices that can stream local content or play netflix/amazon. I'd really like _one_ that can do it all with the convenience of the chromecast, but for $35 I am not that upset that it can't do more.

Streaming a video from a browser, even on a high powered PC, is not very satisfying. Although I'm not seeing stutter, the encoding quality just isn't very good.

I don't like ads, but I don't like paying for services either. I'd rather have a few seconds of a youtube ad than pay for the service.
Nethawk likes this.
post #295 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

But really the worst part of chromecast is you need to run EVERYTHING through ChromeOS. Which means everything you watch will be kept in a log by google. Spy away. Remember: Apple/Roku makes money selling you PRODUCTS. Google makes money gather INFORMATION about you and selling it to advertisers.

And with ANYTHING Apple, you need to run EVERYTHING through iTunes. I bring you the Apple Privacy Policy. Compare and contrast it with Google's and get back to us. rolleyes.gif

post #296 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And with ANYTHING Apple, you need to run EVERYTHING through iTunes. I bring you the Apple Privacy Policy. Compare and contrast it with Google's and get back to us. rolleyes.gif
I agree w. you re: Apple. Eg. ALL cell phone makers agreed a few years ago to make all phone chargers among ALL makers compatible. EXCEPT for Apple who makes users buy chargers with connections only apple phones use. ALL other makers (eg. Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Motorola etc). use the std. micro usb fitting which is used on devices other than phones (eg. GPS devices).
The reason PC overwhelmed Apple a generation ago was that PC was an open protocol. What made the iphone so popular, initially, was that kids thot it was kool and had too much money to spend. The ipad was the first tablet. I see by the latest sales figures, Android tablets now have well over 60% of the market. Once Andorids hit 65-70% ipads will become marginalized the way Mac computers are. Mac's have their place - but not in the mainstream. Since ipad was the first tablet it has become the generic word for "tablet". Just like Kleenex is generic for any tissue.
post #297 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just tried watching program via Netflix (BBC series of Sherlock Holmes). Sent it via Android cell phone. No problem doing that - but picture quality was worse than SD. When we watch Netflix via BD player or from the Netflix app built into our new Panny plasma - it is virtually HD quality. Will see, later, if it makes any diff. firing up via Android tablet and via Windows lap top
post #298 of 476 Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sometime it needs to cache up (no pin intended)
post #299 of 476 Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Just tried watching program via Netflix (BBC series of Sherlock Holmes). Sent it via Android cell phone. No problem doing that - but picture quality was worse than SD. When we watch Netflix via BD player or from the Netflix app built into our new Panny plasma - it is virtually HD quality. Will see, later, if it makes any diff. firing up via Android tablet and via Windows lap top

It's not really 'sent' by your Android. Chromecast connects directly to Netflix (and YouTube) to play your video. Your Android is only a 'smart' remote control. You can actually turn off your Android device once you use it to find and start your video.

If the video was of poor quality, you may need to diagnose it's connection to your wireless router.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #300 of 476 Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM

Liked: 10
Does any of the HDMI-CEC functionality that they touted work for anyone?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Google

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page