Chromecast: Google in the Living Room, Take Two - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 476 Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Last night I was experimenting with play music instant mix feature on my chromebook. Then I thought, this would be great to cast it from my Nexus, and there it was... It's like Pandora with your own collection. Google music mangled many of my genres, and this seems like the best way to get a mix of like music together. It would be nice if this could be done from music on my home net too.

I have ~18,000 songs up there in the cloud, so it's hard to manage especially since it exists at home too. If you don't know, Google allows you to upload 20,000 songs into their cloud. It might take a while, but it eventually gets there.

This is exactly what I hoped to get from the chromecast. I think I'll get another!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
picked one up a week or so ago. It's a novel product and will no doubt get better as more content becomes cast-able, but as of right now I don't feel like it's compelling enough, and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I can see using it in a hotel or the guest room in my house or something. After the initial tinkering, though, I haven't touched it. I guess I'm not the target audience for a product like this -- My TVs have built-in apps, as does my BD player, PS3, Roku, and multiple Apple TVs in the house. The tab casting feature was pretty neat, but it's laggy at times and has locked up on me a couple times. Casting worked fine from YouTube and Netflix on my iPhone 5 for the most part -- only once did the Netflix app on my phone lock up, leaving me unable to control/pause/stop video playing on the Chromecast. During testing I also found that my YouTube/Netflix apps on my phone would cast to my 2012 Samsung Smart TV (ES6500) and automatically launch the app on the TV once I pressed the "Cast" button. For whatever reason this feature wasn't available for my 2012 Panasonic Smart TV (VT50). My impression might be different were I involved in the Android ecosystem, but I haven't owned an Android product since the original Galaxy S.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #363 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

As I understand it, it won't work in hotels as you have to be able to discover all the devices on the network and that is generally turned off. You'd have to have a separate access point which kind of defeats the purpose.
post #364 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

As I understand it, it won't work in hotels as you have to be able to discover all the devices on the network and that is generally turned off. You'd have to have a separate access point which kind of defeats the purpose.
Correct. Most people probably don't bring an access point with them, but I always do. So it will still work fine for me. I've been doing it for years, since the days before hotels had wifi. It's still the fastest, most reliable connection.
post #365 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I purchased Star Trek Into Darkness from the Google Play store today. The specifications say "5.1 Surround" but when I cast it from my Nexus 7, I only get 2.0 stereo. The chromecast is plugged into my Yamaha receiver and I've confirmed that Netflix is 5.1 Dolby Digital+. I'm guessing this has something to do with Google Play using HE-AAC as their audio codec. If that's the case, this is a serious shortcoming if Google wants to take over our home theaters. Am I missing something here or am I stuck with stereo only?
post #366 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

What model is your receiver? I have an 873 and will be happy to give it a shot if you know of a test file I can play. The 873 is about 3 years old and still gets occasional updates from Yamaha.
post #367 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Yamaha RX-V665. It's been able to play everything I've thrown at it, even DSD. I can't see a setting to change anywhere on the chromecast or the movie app.
post #368 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I have a Zuniconnect mini router that I travel with just for this reason. It let's me setup my own Wifi LAN for my devices using the hotel wired or wireless connection.

Looky here!
post #369 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You're missing the point. If everyone connected their laptop to their TV with a cable, then there would be no market for Chromecast, AppleTV, WDTV, Roku, DVD players, BD players, CD players, cable boxes, DVRs, Tivos, you name it. But very few people are willing to do that in the 21st century. Like most people, I prefer a simple, wireless solution.

To your point, my Verizon Home Phone Connect is completely wireless and is more reliable than a corded phone. If the phone and power lines get knocked out, I still have service thanks to the HPC's battery backup and cell phone. And the integrated GPS tells 911 dispatchers my exact location, not just my address.

There would still be a market because you're right that people prefer wifi. Personally I can take it or leave it. When I care about the transmission quality I avoid wireless if I can. There's no point in wireless for everything when running cable is as easy as it is.

We've lost cell service in our area twice in the last year. The longest occasion was four days. The battery in the HPC would have served no purpose other than to tease me with possible service. Our local calls only landline service still worked fine during these outages.

Unless you're carrying around the HPC, the GPS is no more or less accurate than the address the unit is located at.

Looky here!
post #370 of 476 Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 PM
T/O

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across this on Engadget and thought it might make things a bit more interesting. What if Google got the rights and the Chromecast ended up being the gateway needed to watch the games.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube/
post #371 of 476 Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 AM

Liked: 11
Does the free version of Hulu work with Chromecast?
post #372 of 476 Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM
T/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post

Does the free version of Hulu work with Chromecast?

I didn't log in to Hulu, but if you watch it in the Chrome browser you can cast the browser window to your tv. There doesn't seem to be an "app" for Hulu itself yet.
post #373 of 476 Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM

I got this message regarding 5.1 audio directly from Google Play: "I have some more information about the 5.1 audio now.

We checked and the titles "Star Trek Into Darkness" and "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" are indeed available in 5.1, but not currently when played on Chromecast."

They need to make 5.1 audio happen with the Google Play store if they want to compete.
post #374 of 476 Old 08-22-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

I got this message regarding 5.1 audio directly from Google Play: "I have some more information about the 5.1 audio now.

We checked and the titles "Star Trek Into Darkness" and "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" are indeed available in 5.1, but not currently when played on Chromecast."

They need to make 5.1 audio happen with the Google Play store if they want to compete.

Indeed I just realized that limitation as well and it really soured my first attempt at watching a movie that I actually purchased on Google Play. On the flip-side, Apple's iTunes version was completely missing the 5.1 soundtrack and I experienced serious download issues. I would up watching STID via Vudu HDX—the experience left me respecting Vudu's product more than ever.

But, everything else about the Chromecast stream was great, so the lack of 5.1 seems to be more oversight than anything, hope it gets fixed soon.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #375 of 476 Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T/O View Post

I didn't log in to Hulu, but if you watch it in the Chrome browser you can cast the browser window to your tv. There doesn't seem to be an "app" for Hulu itself yet.

Casting my browser window of hulu was functional. But I was using the $249 chromebook which was under-powered for this task and frames were dropping. On a real computer it looked like it would work fine.
post #376 of 476 Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Casting my browser window of hulu was functional. But I was using the $249 chromebook which was under-powered for this task and frames were dropping. On a real computer it looked like it would work fine.

I have a few year old laptop with first generation i7 processor and as long as I'm not running other apps while using it I can cast Hulu from Chrome at 720p, but when I have other things running using up processor and memory, I have to change it to 480p to keep the video and audio smooth. I actually have a Hulu app on my TV so I only tried this to test out the Chromecast when I first got it. I would imagine newer processors would be able to handle it fine along with other apps running.
post #377 of 476 Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Chromecast's iOS app arrives, looks to make cross-platform living room magic

On the heals of a Cast SDK update that borked third-party streaming apps, Google released a version of its Chromecast software for iOS devices. That's right, folks with an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch can use the free application to set up Chromecast on their flat's WiFi network and to manage settings.

Of course, YouTube, Netflix, Google Play purchases and Chrome can all be displayed on properly outfitted TVs easily. You may have to wait a bit to nab one, but at $35, there's a world of inexpensive, cross-platform love within arm's reach.

Full Story Here

Engadget

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #378 of 476 Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Chromecast's iOS app arrives, looks to make cross-platform living room magic

Of course, YouTube, Netflix, Google Play purchases and Chrome can all be displayed on properly outfitted TVs easily. You may have to wait a bit to nab one, but at $35, there's a world of inexpensive, cross-platform love within arm's reach.

It is not clear to me - is this saying you can cast from Chrome on an IOS device? Or just use it to set up the device?
post #379 of 476 Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

It is not clear to me - is this saying you can cast from Chrome on an IOS device? Or just use it to set up the device?

It's a separate app, and I just installed it. It gives some details about my Chromecast, and I was able to rename it from the default Chromecastxxxx.

I'm guessing there will be increased functionality soon.....

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #380 of 476 Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 AM

Well Amazon says my Chromecast shipped yesterday so I hope to find out soon what it can do. I'm a little older so I'm sure I don't know what all it's capable of doing. So I guess I'll search AVSForums for some help.
post #381 of 476 Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wanted to mention that I just picked up a Chromecast in Best Buy this morning. First thing today, I googled their website which showed none were available within 50 miles of my zip. Then I googled stories, and readwrite reported on the 27th that some were available in stores. So I ran over to my BB in the TV area, where they were surprised to see that they had 24 in the store. However, when they walked me over to the computer area, where they are sold, there were only 3 left.
post #382 of 476 Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Suggestions to connect CC to a Denon AVR-885? And then to TV.

No HDMI available (using it for DTv) on TV.

TIA
post #383 of 476 Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Use component for DTV or run all HDMI thru Denon.
post #384 of 476 Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Use component for DTV or run all HDMI thru Denon.

Denon 885 has no HDMI . Nor DVI- audio jacks.

Currently run DTv HDMI jack to TV (only one HDMI jack) and the A/V of the DTv mini-Genie to the Denon.

I guess I need a HDMI --> component converter?

Thanks
post #385 of 476 Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andover View Post

Denon 885 has no HDMI . Nor DVI- audio jacks.

Currently run DTv HDMI jack to TV (only one HDMI jack) and the A/V of the DTv mini-Genie to the Denon.

I guess I need a HDMI --> component converter?

Thanks

This HDMI Switch with Remote ought to to it. Blue Jeans makes nice stuff, and you'd have 3 ports left over for more toys!

Don't forget to get an extra HDMI cable to run from the switch to the TV.
post #386 of 476 Old 09-02-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Obviously time for a new Denon!
post #387 of 476 Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

Thanks for reporting. I got mine last week at BB, I had checked several times to see if any were in stock locally, and that was the first time. I called to make sure and they had three. Everything has worked great, I'm getting 5.1 DD+ on Netflix(as well as SuperHD at 5800 bitrate, nice). The other day I wanted to rent Oblivion and normally if I'm going to pay for a rental stream I do Vudu on my blu-ray player. I was also considering Google Play and DirecTV as I've never ordered one of their 1080p movies. I ended up doing DTV. I believe that is a 2:40 or 2:35 aspect ratio movie(someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if so it was cropped on DirecTV on demand. Six bucks for a cropped movie..nice. I guess with Google Play I would have been pissed if I'd only gotten stereo sound. Hope they get that fixed or Google Play movies may as well not be there for me.
post #388 of 476 Old 09-04-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well, I got mine installed yesterday and I have to say I am impressed. Setup was a breeze and I get flawless Netflix streaming which was the main objective.

Only problem is the cost is escalating a bit because I found out the CC has Google's DNS server addresses hardcoded into it and it ignores the DNS addresses given by my DHCP server. I have been using unblock-us to get access to the US Netflix catalog (I am in Sweden) and that does not work with the DNS settings in the CC.

So I had to get an extra router that runs DD-WRT and use iptables to redirect all calls to Google's DNS servers back to unblock-us. This means a separate WLAN for the Chromecast. Oh well.
post #389 of 476 Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Is there a way to correct my audio sync with Netflix? I'm running the Chromecast straight to to the TV and using the TV audio. The sync is off.

Kaboom.
post #390 of 476 Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Hello:
So far the ChromeCast is not available in Canada. If I buy one in the USA when I am there, will it work in Canada or is it blocked by address?

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Google

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page