AVS Forum banner

Chromecast: Google in the Living Room, Take Two

90K views 486 replies 130 participants last post by  Neil S. Bulk 
#1 ·
Google takes another stab at providing your living-room TV with a "smart" home screen thanks to a tiny HDMI dongle called Chromecast. Interested owners of Android phones and tablets, Apple iOS devices, Cromebook, Windows, and Mac OS users can order the newly announced device as of today for $35—a price point that reportedly had reporters audibly gasping at the press event.
Quote:
"The Chromecast will launch in the United States first for $35, which garnered an audible (but deserved) gasp from the media audience, a typically jaded bunch at these product announcements." - ZDNet

Chromecast is a dongle that plugs directly into an available HDMI port.

Essentially, Chromecast links up to Android and iOS devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and Chromebooks. It also works with Mac and PC computers that have Chrome installed. It plugs into any HDMI port and uses USB power.
Quote:
"Measuring in at just two inches in length, Chromecast runs a "simplified version" of Chrome OS. It plugs into any HDMI input port and "simply disappears behind your TV." - ZDNet

Here is a more realistic depiction of the wiring. photo source: CNET

The diminutive dongle works by drawing content from laptops, desktops, Google and iOS devices—including Youtube, Netflix, and Google Play, Vudu, Hulu... anything that plays in a Chrome browser—then streams it directly to the Chromecast device from the cloud, right into an HDMI-equipped HDTV or receiver. This results in full-resolution playback of video content, unlike Apple's airplay which uses direct streaming/mirroring from an iOS device. With Google's approach, the source device can be turned off without stopping playback.

The dongle itself uses a basic version of Google's Chrome OS, giving HDTVs a degree of "smart" functionality. According to ZDNet, not all of that functionality is activated yet—but that's not stopping Google from selling it.
Quote:
"There are a few features still in the infamous beta mode, meaning users can't expect things to work so seamlessly out of the box." - ZDNet

Google usually proves to be a disruptive force in every market it enters. I already ordered a Chromecast within minutes of its announcement—at the minimum, it will be nice to have it when I stay in a hotel with free Wi-Fi. On the other hand, if it really interfaces well with my PCs, Android phone and my iPad, it could earn a dedicated HDMI slot on my Vizio HDTV. Either way, I expect to review it here on AVS it shortly after I receive it.

Is Chromecast a game-changer or another Google set-top box boondoggle?

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

See less See more
#302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/270#post_23598707

And with ANYTHING Apple, you need to run EVERYTHING through iTunes. I bring you the Apple Privacy Policy . Compare and contrast it with Google's and get back to us.

I understand everyone is gathering information. But Google makes 99.99999% of their profits from SELLING that information. Google makes ZERO from hardware sales. In fact they probably lose billions of dollars every year from hardware development. That's why the Chromecast is dirt cheap. Apple makes 99.999999% of their profits selling hardware and software. Think about that. Who do you think will compromise your private information?

#303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/270#post_23599095

I agree w. you re: Apple. Eg. ALL cell phone makers agreed a few years ago to make all phone chargers among ALL makers compatible. EXCEPT for Apple who makes users buy chargers with connections only apple phones use. ALL other makers (eg. Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Motorola etc). use the std. micro usb fitting which is used on devices other than phones (eg. GPS devices).

The reason PC overwhelmed Apple a generation ago was that PC was an open protocol. What made the iphone so popular, initially, was that kids thot it was kool and had too much money to spend. The ipad was the first tablet. I see by the latest sales figures, Android tablets now have well over 60% of the market. Once Andorids hit 65-70% ipads will become marginalized the way Mac computers are. Mac's have their place - but not in the mainstream. Since ipad was the first tablet it has become the generic word for "tablet". Just like Kleenex is generic for any tissue.

The media has fooled you also i see. The 60% you are talking about is just one three month period of sales (Mar-Jun 2013). Overall the iPad is still destroying all other tablets in cumulative sales. Just look at the data usage numbers in the US/Canada. iPads account for over 84% of web traffic:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57595060-37/ipad-web-traffic-share-hits-84-percent-says-ad-network/

So if there are so many Android tablets out there what are they doing? Obviously they are not on the internet. Probably a ton of them are in a drawer or the trash can.

Mar-Jun2013 did have relatively slow sales for the iPad. They sold 'only' 15 Million. But guess what? The next 4 manufacters - Samsung/Asus/Leveno/Acer sold less than Apple COMBINED. Samsung who was #2 only sold 8 million. Plus iPad sales were low because there were no new iPads for over 8 months and the new iPads are coming out in the Fall. Pull up the last 12 month sales and the picture is totally different.

So how does Android have 60% of the sales for Mar-Jun? The last category of tablets sold is classified as 'Other'. These are generic, no name tablets. Tablets that come in white boxes made with the cheapest possible parts. Some cases they even have spyware installed. According to the research you are quoting they sold 17.5 million of these 'Other' tablets. These are $50-$99 worthless pieces of junk sold mainly in China/Indian and 3rd world countries. These are considered Android sales. After 6 months most of these tablets are either broken, stuffed into a drawer, or thrown away. If you think selling 17 million of these crap tablets will lead to the down fall of the iPad you are mistaken. These crap tablets generate very little if any profits to the manufactuer or lead to app sales.

Bottom line is only Apple alone reports tablet sales each quarter on its SEC audited filings. Samsung does not. Neither does Asus/Leveno/Microsoft. In addition Apple reports the number of iPads in inventory so you can truly see how many tablets were SOLD. All other stats gather by these research journals are for tablets SHIPPED. Anyone with half a brain knows that a company like Samsung can easily ship a crapload of tablets into the channel and never sell them. In fact Microsoft just had to write off OVER a BILLION dollars of unsold Surface tablets. 3 months ago those tablets were considered 'SOLD' by the same research company you are referring to. Bottom line is all Android tablet sales are just guesses by research companies.

How to get the truth then? Who is dominating the tablet market. Look at profits. Look at web usage. Look at app revenue. Look at what school districts are buying. Look at what industry is buying. Look at what you see out in the real world ( I say 90% of tablets i see in public are iPads). Apple is dominating in all these ways.

So are we really going to give equal value to this cheap crap $50 tablet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Best-Buy-7-ATM7013-Android-4-0-RJ45-512MB-4GB-Tablet-PC-Wifi-3g-Black-Cheap-/380683868502?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item58a286d956

compared to a $600 iPad?

Do you really think $50 crap is going to marginalize (your word) the ipad? Thats as stupid as saying Glad trash bags are going to marginalize Louis Vuitton because they sell 10x more trash bags than Louis Vuitton hand bags.

#304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23600527

The media has fooled you also i see. The 60% you are talking about is just one three month period of sales (Mar-Jun 2013). Overall the iPad is still destroying all other tablets in cumulative sales. Just look at the data usage numbers in the US/Canada. iPads account for over 84% of web traffic:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57595060-37/ipad-web-traffic-share-hits-84-percent-says-ad-network/

So if there are so many Android tablets out there what are they doing? Obviously they are not on the internet. Probably a ton of them are in a drawer or the trash can.

Mar-Jun2013 did have relatively slow sales for the iPad. They sold 'only' 15 Million. But guess what? The next 4 manufacters - Samsung/Asus/Leveno/Acer sold less than Apple COMBINED. Samsung who was #2 only sold 8 million. Plus iPad sales were low because there were no new iPads for over 8 months and the new iPads are coming out in the Fall. Pull up the last 12 month sales and the picture is totally different.

So how does Android have 60% of the sales for Mar-Jun? The last category of tablets sold is classified as 'Other'. These are generic, no name tablets. Tablets that come in white boxes made with the cheapest possible parts. Some cases they even have spyware installed. According to the research you are quoting they sold 17.5 million of these 'Other' tablets. These are $50-$99 worthless pieces of junk sold mainly in China/Indian and 3rd world countries. These are considered Android sales. After 6 months most of these tablets are either broken, stuffed into a drawer, or thrown away. If you think selling 17 million of these crap tablets will lead to the down fall of the iPad you are mistaken. These crap tablets generate very little if any profits to the manufactuer or lead to app sales.

Bottom line is only Apple alone reports tablet sales each quarter on its SEC audited filings. Samsung does not. Neither does Asus/Leveno/Microsoft. In addition Apple reports the number of iPads in inventory so you can truly see how many tablets were SOLD. All other stats gather by these research journals are for tablets SHIPPED. Anyone with half a brain knows that a company like Samsung can easily ship a crapload of tablets into the channel and never sell them. In fact Microsoft just had to write off OVER a BILLION dollars of unsold Surface tablets. 3 months ago those tablets were considered 'SOLD' by the same research company you are referring to. Bottom line is all Android tablet sales are just guesses by research companies.

How to get the truth then? Who is dominating the tablet market. Look at profits. Look at web usage. Look at app revenue. Look at what school districts are buying. Look at what industry is buying. Look at what you see out in the real world ( I say 90% of tablets i see in public are iPads). Apple is dominating in all these ways.

So are we really going to give equal value to this cheap crap $50 tablet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Best-Buy-7-ATM7013-Android-4-0-RJ45-512MB-4GB-Tablet-PC-Wifi-3g-Black-Cheap-/380683868502?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item58a286d956

compared to a $600 iPad?

Do you really think $50 crap is going to marginalize (your word) the ipad? Thats as stupid as saying Glad trash bags are going to marginalize Louis Vuitton because they sell 10x more trash bags than Louis Vuitton hand bags.

Perhaps that was a tad bit inappropriate, seeing how the thread is not titled "Post your pro-iPad polemic here."

Anyhow, did you hear the news? Apple's monopoly on tablets and smartphones has ended, but they sold a ton before that happened. Chromecast can only help accelerate that trend. On to what's next...

#306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23600889

Perhaps that was a tad bit inappropriate, seeing how the thread is not titled "Post your pro-iPad polemic here."

Anyhow, did you hear the news? Apple's monopoly on tablets and smartphones has ended, but they sold a ton before that happened. Chromecast can only help accelerate that trend. On to what's next...

I'm not the one who brought up the ipad. I'm just correcting a common misconception. Apple never had a monopoly on smartphones. In fact they were late to the game with Blackberry there way before. I doubt Apple ever had even 40% of the smartphone market ever. Again, ignorance here is astounding.

No one especially Apple ever beleived they would have a monopoly on tablets. That's why they refuse to sell any tablets in the $50-$300 range. They know a large number of people can only afford that price range and they knew they would be sacrificing market share to that audience. Same thing with smartphones priced from $100-$500. Bottom line is Apple totally DOMINATES the high end phone market ($500-$650) and the high end tablet market ($300-$800). They will let the other companies sell the cheap crap and make small margins. Case in point is Samsung who is basically Android (no other Android manufacter makes money on phones or tablets). Last year Samsung sold almost 3 times more phones than Apple and still was not able to make more profits than Apple.

But my point is still valid: How much do you think a company that makes all its money on advertising will focus on product quality and customer service/tech support?

Again I have history on my side. Every single Google hardware product has been an absolute failure ( Google TV, Google Q - two failed tv products that no longer have support) or has lack luster sales (Nexus7, nexus5, ect). I'm sorry I'd rather spend my money on a company that's primary concerned is product excellence instead of information gathering and selling to the highest bidder.

My impressions on the product is its a nice little gadget. But my friend said at its current form its pretty useless since he already has a PS3, Bluray players that can run apps, and a smart tv. I guess it would appeal to people without Bluray players/PS3/smart tv. For $35 I guess its a decent deal to match with a $100 Android tablet or phone.

#307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond.g  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/270#post_23600338

Does any of the HDMI-CEC functionality that they touted work for anyone?
I have tried and failed to get it to do any HDMI-CEC control. Theoretically, it should, at a minimum, turn on my TV and switch inputs when I plug it in, but it doesn't. I'll do some more experimenting and let you know if I can get it to do anything.

On a related note, the Google Cast extension shows some interesting options that I'm curious about. Under devices I can cast to, it shows my chromecast as well as my router. I tried casting to my router, but have no idea what it's even supposed to do. Anybody have any ideas?

#308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23601887

I have tried and failed to get it to do any HDMI-CEC control. Theoretically, it should, at a minimum, turn on my TV and switch inputs when I plug it in, but it doesn't. I'll do some more experimenting and let you know if I can get it to do anything.

On a related note, the Google Cast extension shows some interesting options that I'm curious about. Under devices I can cast to, it shows my chromecast as well as my router. I tried casting to my router, but have no idea what it's even supposed to do. Anybody have any ideas?

I noticed if I start sending Netflix from my iPhone to the Chromecast it automatically switches my receiver to the HDMI Input that Chromecast is on - so CEC must be working to an extent. Do you know if CEC is turned on on your TV. I ask but because until recently I had it turned off on my receiver.

#309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23602045

I noticed if I start sending Netflix from my iPhone to the Chromecast it automatically switches my receiver to the HDMI Input that Chromecast is on - so CEC must be working to an extent. Do you know if CEC is turned on on your TV. I ask but because until recently I had it turned off on my receiver.
Working for me now too. Thanks for the tip. I had CEC on all along because I use it with other devices, but assumed just plugging it in would cause the switching. As you said, I have to actually start casting before it will switch. I also discovered that as long as it's externally powered (not powered by my TV) that casting will turn on my TV if it is off as well as switch to the proper input. No other CEC commands do anything though, like transport or nav keys. All control still must be done in the app you're casting from.

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two#post_23559962

Ordered, but oddly didn't have a spot to type my street address. It only has fields for Apt, City, State. What's up with that?

So I wasn't crazy. According to UPS tracking the package was first delivered to the wrong town and then to the right town, but shipped back due to incomplete address information. Sooooo, now what? Time to call them again I guess. Seriously, what a pain...

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23600483

I understand everyone is gathering information. But Google makes 99.99999% of their profits from SELLING that information. Google makes ZERO from hardware sales. In fact they probably lose billions of dollars every year from hardware development. That's why the Chromecast is dirt cheap. Apple makes 99.999999% of their profits selling hardware and software. Think about that. Who do you think will compromise your private information?

They'll both compromise some of our private information. These are for-profit businesses.

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23602926

They'll both compromise some of our private information. These are for-profit businesses.

Maybe, but one of these two companies has paid out billions in violating privacy rights and the other hasn't. ;-)

For what it's worth, non-profits are the ones who sell my info out the fastest. Man, give 5 bucks to anyone and they all come out of the woodwork.

In other news, I've contacted Google, and they're saying wait for it to be returned and try again. Given the mixed reviews, I may wait.

#313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23603347

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23602926

Maybe, but one of these two companies has paid out billions in violating privacy rights and the other hasn't. ;-)

For what it's worth, non-profits are the ones who sell my info out the fastest. Man, give 5 bucks to anyone and they all come out of the woodwork.

In other news, I've contacted Google, and they're saying wait for it to be returned and try again. Given the mixed reviews, I may wait.
Right...Was this the one? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=apple+sued+over+iphone+tracking+app

#314 ·
Tonido Home Cloud gets Chromecast support, lets you stream from desktop to TV

As the dust around Chromecast's surprise arrival starts to settle, expect to see a lot more apps and services get on board. Today's adoptee? Tonido's home cloud software (of recent giveaway fame). The company's updated its mobile apps, so that you can now stream (correctly formatted) media from your PC or desktop to the HDMI device wherever you (and it) are.

So, in theory, you can store all your content at home, and take your Chromecast (and phone, of course) out with you -- and still be able to access your prized movie collection. Now you just have to wait until they're back in stock...

Full Story Here

Engadget

#315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23603705

Right...Was this the one? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=apple+sued+over+iphone+tracking+app

That doesn't match my description. One was by a couple people (and best as I can tell nothing happened. You could have at least checked the follow up HERE: http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/01/apple-iphone-tracking-lawsuit-doesnt-demonstrate-harm/ ) and the other was a 25 billion dollar payout by Google mandated by the FCC. I'll concede Apple's no angel, far from it, but for petty lawsuits, I think Apple. For wanting to mine user information for money, I think Google. I don't think that's a stretch.

#317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23604572

The debate about Google and Apple's respective motivation, is not the topic of this thread. Please wrap up that discussion.

Zipping lip.

Back on topic, this is exactly what I wanted. Now if they can add a way to control it from my phone (I guess I could use something like Splashtop, but native app would be better) and set up playlists, that's 90% of what I use my Apple TV for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK6jdgjG2A

#318 ·
The estimated arrival from amazon went from 08/21/13 to "no clue." Two days ago they tell me 08/21; today's email states, " We do not have an estimated delivery date for the items below. We will email you with an update on your delivery date in 30 days, or as soon as the items are ready to ship."

And I haven't received my netflix discount code as promised.

I really have nothing to add to the discussion. Just wanted to gripe a bit.

#319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23606156

The estimated arrival from amazon went from 08/21/13 to "no clue." Two days ago they tell me 08/21; today's email states, " We do not have an estimated delivery date for the items below. We will email you with an update on your delivery date in 30 days, or as soon as the items are ready to ship."

Exactly the same here. My order date was July 25th.

We'll get our codes when they ship, and we have until December 31st to use them.

#320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23606200

Exactly the same here. My order date was July 25th.

We'll get our codes when they ship, and we have until December 31st to use them.

Mine shipped from Amazon on Friday, arrived on Monday, and the Netflix code was supposed to be emailed within five days of shipment, according to my confirmation email; today is the fifth day, and it has not arrived yet. The day is not over yet, however. I am not complaining, because I thought I missed the cut-off time for the Netflix promotion by one minute, based on my order confirmation email from Amazon. As long as I get the Netflix code, I am a happy camper.

Mark

#321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23604445

That doesn't match my description. One was by a couple people (and best as I can tell nothing happened. You could have at least checked the follow up HERE: http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/01/apple-iphone-tracking-lawsuit-doesnt-demonstrate-harm/ ) and the other was a 25 billion dollar payout by Google mandated by the FCC. I'll concede Apple's no angel, far from it, but for petty lawsuits, I think Apple. For wanting to mine user information for money, I think Google. I don't think that's a stretch.

it was 22.5 MILLION, not BILLION.

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two/300#post_23606156

Update: Amazon emailed me today saying to expect it between October 17th & October 31st.

Trick or Treat.

#324 ·
I placed my Amazon order on July 26. On 8/2, Amazon emailed me "Estimated arrival date: August 23, 2013 - August 28, 2013". Then on 8/6, Amazon emailed me "We do not have an estimated delivery date". Then today on 8/8, Amazon emailed me "Estimated arrival date: October 18, 2013 - November 06, 2013". Not sure when I'll get my hands on one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.