Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

To get 3 free months of Netflix, does that work if you already use Netflix?
The free 3 months make it more interesting to me.
I do not have a tablet or smartphone.

Not sure if that deal is still available.

When I bought mine, I received a credit on my Netflix account equivalent to three months of streaming.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Not sure if that deal is still available.

When I bought mine, I received a credit on my Netflix account equivalent to three months of streaming.

It is not available. They discontinued that within the first couple days after announcement.

sig
post #453 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for telling me it is no longer available.
Now it has lost all interest for me.
Having a PC attached to a TV has worked out very well.
I also read that 1080p streaming is not available on chromecast.
And since it relies on wireless and only the g standard, then less attractive to me.
I built that computer out of an AMD quad core with 8gb ram and 1gb video card and spent about $300 in parts off ebay.
I did that and dropped my 70$ monthly dish network.

I could see an advantage of chromecast solution , but you still got to have something like a PC to stream to the HDTV.

So I can easily watch any streaming browser content, or any local files.

If you want local files to play off your PC
In chrome browser, type control key - o key to open video and picture files.
I suppose that would work with chrome-cast program?
post #454 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I could see an advantage of chromecast solution , but you still got to have something like a PC to stream to the HDTV.

Actually, for supported services, your PC or your device acts like a remote control. The device does not stream to the Chromecast. The Chromecast takes it's instructions from your device and then gets the content directly from the provider over the 'net.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #455 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422300,00.asp
Quote:
CONS
No local media playback. Chrome integration is limited.
or is it?
I installed the chromecast addon for chrome browser.

Why cant you control-o, open a media file. then click the chromecast button in the chrome browser to send this to the HDTV?

People say this chromecast thing also works with Ubuntu Linux, even though it is not in a supported list.
I run win7 and ubuntu in various PC's around the house and on the boat.
I have been wondering about sending content to the boat's HDTV. Either long cables or this thing.
On the boat, I run ubuntu on the nav computer. I can turn it's wireless into a hotspot.
Can the google chromecast connect to the ubuntu hotspot as a wireless source?
Probably can.

Casting a tab
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?hl=en&ref_topic=3210038

Does this cast when you play a local video file in the browser?
post #456 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Thanks for telling me it is no longer available.
Now it has lost all interest for me.
Having a PC attached to a TV has worked out very well.
I also read that 1080p streaming is not available on chromecast.
And since it relies on wireless and only the g standard, then less attractive to me.
I built that computer out of an AMD quad core with 8gb ram and 1gb video card and spent about $300 in parts off ebay.
I did that and dropped my 70$ monthly dish network.

So I can easily watch any streaming browser content, or any local files.

If you want local files to play off your PC
In chrome browser, type control key - o key to open video and picture files.
I suppose that would work with chrome-cast program?

Just correcting some of your misinformation for others reading:

Apps and supported services cast at 1080p. Only the tab casting is limited to 720p.
Wireless is not limited to the "g" standard. It connects to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n.
A PC is not necessary - a mobile device can cast directly from the services themselves.
A PC casting through the players of the supported apps does not need to be high spec or expensive since it is not using the PC resources and can be much cheaper than the cheapest media server setup.

Only if you are tab casting do you need a computer that meets higher specs. I did not need to buy a new computer or any new equipment to use tab casting successfully - my 4 year old laptop does a great job at it and I use the function almost daily. Even if someone does not already have a computer capable of smoothly tab casting, for $35, casting directly from the services of the supported apps is more than worth it to most people.

Of course if you personally have no use for it, then don't get it, but you seem to not have a clue about it and are misinforming others. If you have a wired, already built and paid for setup that does everything you want already, then use it. Others want a cheaper solution, or a wireless solution, or a portable solution, or one that takes up less space, or that doesn't require building or buying a new computer, or that doesn't require them to use a computer at all, etc, etc, etc. The Chromecast serves a useful function for a lot of people, even many people who already have setups like yours, but if you don't personally need it, then don't buy it.

As far as local files, casting through a Chrome tab will work for supported files but there are file types that do not work and are not supported. Plex can be used to cast any file that plex can play, supported or not by Chrome. Avia can also be used to cast local files from a phone/tablet or from DLNA servers/computers but you need a phone app to control Avia and connect to the PC to get the files so would need a phone to use that one. Plex can be used from computer or phone.
sabih786 likes this.
post #457 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422300,00.asp
or is it?
I installed the chromecast addon for chrome browser.

Why cant you control-o, open a media file. then click the chromecast button in the chrome browser to send this to the HDTV?

People say this chromecast thing also works with Ubuntu Linux, even though it is not in a supported list.
I run win7 and ubuntu in various PC's around the house and on the boat.
I have been wondering about sending content to the boat's HDTV. Either long cables or this thing.
On the boat, I run ubuntu on the nav computer. I can turn it's wireless into a hotspot.
Can the google chromecast connect to the ubuntu hotspot as a wireless source?
Probably can.

Casting a tab
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?hl=en&ref_topic=3210038

Does this cast when you play a local video file in the browser?

I can cast from Linux Mint. Haven't specifically tried Ubuntu. Since it's not supported, your mileage may vary. Never tried using it as a hotspot.
post #458 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

I can cast from Linux Mint. Haven't specifically tried Ubuntu. Since it's not supported, your mileage may vary. Never tried using it as a hotspot.

Thanks for the info and on the other post.
Since I do not need this, I will not buy this.

I have looked into a similar device which uses DLNA and wifi and outputs to HDMI.
It plugs into the usb port for power on the TV.
It is a DLNA client and needs a PC to be a DLNA server.

Chromecast is only a wireless G device.
http://readwrite.com/2013/08/07/chromecast-n-wireless-wifi-5ghz-2-4ghz#awesm=~oqez34hHhl5TLA
post #459 of 476 Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have looked into a similar device which uses DLNA and wifi and outputs to HDMI.

http://readwrite.com/2013/08/07/chromecast-n-wireless-wifi-5ghz-2-4ghz#awesm=~oqez34hHhl5TLA

No, it is not only a wireless G device and you didn't even read the article you linked to which itself says: Chromecast supports the faster 802.11n Wi-Fi standard, along with the older b/g standards. Now you're just purposely spreading misinformation.
Neil S. Bulk likes this.
post #460 of 476 Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

trolling
jprc likes this.

sig
post #461 of 476 Old 12-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Miracast
I can get a miracast usb hdmi device off ebay for maybe half the price of chromecast.
Hey I am still learning about these things.

At the end of the video, he splits the screen, so you can drag a window onto the HDTV.
That makes me wonder if you can watch netflix on the HDTV full screen while working on the PC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQo6fgJ6eqU
post #462 of 476 Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM

post #463 of 476 Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM

What can beat a computer or tablet connected to a digital TV? You have total control over what you can access and do on the Internet and you have mouse control and, importantly, a keyboard for entering text. If there's no keyboard then how can you do a Youtube search for supercalifragilisticexpalidosis?

Sorry, folks, no Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku etc. for me. Or even a Smart TV. Waste of money for a subset of functionality that a PC to TV combination can give you.

And as for the HDMI cable from the PC on the sofa to the TV, you can replace it with a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver.
post #464 of 476 Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user659 View Post

If there's no keyboard then how can you do a Youtube search for supercalifragilisticexpalidosis?

Just watched my daughter type that with her thumbs on her iPhone and we watched it on the Chromecast. Took her less than 4 seconds. For $35 it blows your wireless option away.......

smile.gif
Chodite likes this.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #465 of 476 Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:

What can beat a computer or tablet connected to a digital TV? You have total control over what you can access and do on the Internet and you have mouse control and, importantly, a keyboard for entering text. If there's no keyboard then how can you do a Youtube search for supercalifragilisticexpalidosis?

Sorry, folks, no Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku etc. for me. Or even a Smart TV. Waste of money for a subset of functionality that a PC to TV combination can give you.

And as for the HDMI cable from the PC on the sofa to the TV, you can replace it with a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Just watched my daughter type that with her thumbs on her iPhone and we watched it on the Chromecast. Took her less than 4 seconds. For $35 it blows your wireless option away.......

smile.gif

What he said.

The keyboard is on your smartphone and the mouse is also on your smartphone. It all takes the same amount of time to maneuver as it would using a physical keyboard and mouse. Welcome to 2013 biggrin.gif

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #466 of 476 Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

That costs hundreds. Chromecast is $35, Roku is $40-$100. Wireless HDMI is a couple of hundred alone. There's no way I'd spend that kind of money to avoid occasionally typing with my thumbs.

Full disclosure, I have an HTPC and wireless HDMI. But I don't use it for Netflix or youtube or any other streaming I can get from a stand-alone streamer like Chromecast or my BD player. And I'm not about to lug my HTPC through the airport just so I can watch Youtube on the TV in my hotel.

You could also argue that a computer does a better job at playing discs too, but would you recommend buying an $800 computer in lieu of a $50 BD player?

So if I have the option of watching Youtube by plugging in a $35 dongle and typing on my phone versus buying an $800 computer, plus dragging out a mouse and keyboard, I'll take the former. Heck, I do most of the typing on my HTPC via my phone anyway,
post #467 of 476 Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
And a chromecast will never bsod!
Neil S. Bulk likes this.
post #468 of 476 Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

And a chromecast will never bsod!
That's true. There is absolutely no error message when they fail.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #469 of 476 Old 12-21-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That brings up a good point, have they failed on anyone? My chromebooks occasionally reboot, but that hasn't happened in a while.

My w8 tablet committed suicide last week via windows update, most people would not have been able to get it back.

Nothing like that has ever happened to my 3 android phones, or our 2 nexus 7s. I don't expect my chromecasts to die.
post #470 of 476 Old 01-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Apple users, you can cast Google Play Movies/TV now. Looks like you have to purchase shows from a computer (or Android device) but then you can use your iOS device to cast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id746894884
CaioTheBrain likes this.
post #471 of 476 Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Maybe not the right place to ask, but I recently switched routers, went from a D-Link DIR-655 to an Asus RT-N66W and when trying to setup the Chromecast it says "WiFi needs to be turned on for the Chromecast App to work". Previously setup and use with the old router works just fine, it's only now that with the router switch I can't even get the app to setup. I'm sure it must be something simple, but I don't know what it might be.

The Wi-Fi is working as my iPhone connects to it as well as my Roku, in fact I can see the Chromecast listed on the Roku wireless setup page.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Figured it out after reading the following link. The odd thing is I don't remember doing it that way previously, in any case, it now works properly.

Chromecast Error “No big deal but your WI-FI is off”

Do you happen to remember what the link said to do? I'm having the same issue but it appears the link isn't working.
post #472 of 476 Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

Do you happen to remember what the link said to do? I'm having the same issue but it appears the link isn't working.

As I recall, you have to setup the Chromecast from a wi-fi device such as a phone or tablet, it can't be done from a wired computer.

I searched for the string of that original post and got the below search results, the answer is probably in there somewhere,

chromecast-error-no-big-deal-but-your-wi-fi-is-off

This review at Amazon says the same thing.
Quote:
The Chromecast must be set up from a wireless device. If you try to follow the instructions on your ethernet-wired desktop to set it up, you will get an error saying, "No big deal, but your wifi is off." This refers to your computer, not the dongle itself. Once I downloaded the iOS Chromecast app from Apple on my iPhone I was able to get the device to connect. Once set up, the desktop computer running Google Chrome can "cast" to the Chromecast. In this case you will need to download the Google Cast Extension to your Chrome browser. It will automatically find your Chromecast device and allow streaming from the browser.

Unfortunately, two phone calls to Chromecast support failed to even ask me how the computer I was using to set up was connected to the internet... a very important and obvious thing to ask it seems to me! One rep actually told me my router wouldn't work unless I turned off security (not an issue since Chromecast is compatible with both WEP and WAP). Another rep sent me an email with instructions on how to install from an Android phone when I specifically told her I had an iPhone. I suppose the tech support will catch up as these devices become more common and are used by non-techies.

All it all, if you read all you can (the reviews here are very helpful and accurate) and understand what it can and cannot do, you will be happy with this device.
post #473 of 476 Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

As I recall, you have...

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
post #474 of 476 Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just saved $600/yr. my making use of Chromecast in 2nd home. Home #one has virtually everything Comcast offers (thanks to it being included in HOA dues). We were paying $110 - just raised to $131/mo. in home #2. Called and were able to double internet speed (now sometimes hits 50Mb down) w. DVR and basic digital pkg - now $79.

We can make use of Xfinity tv2go to watch our now missing channels in home #2. When using my laptop, can log on to Comcast and "cast" what we want to watch on our 60" plasma. Can't cast from my tablet like I can when using HBO2go.
post #475 of 476 Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Just saved $600/yr. my making use of Chromecast in 2nd home. Home #one has virtually everything Comcast offers (thanks to it being included in HOA dues). We were paying $110 - just raised to $131/mo. in home #2. Called and were able to double internet speed (now sometimes hits 50Mb down) w. DVR and basic digital pkg - now $79.

We can make use of Xfinity tv2go to watch our now missing channels in home #2. When using my laptop, can log on to Comcast and "cast" what we want to watch on our 60" plasma. Can't cast from my tablet like I can when using HBO2go.

I've been using the to go app in my house when I don't feel like sitting up and watching my ST60. I just pull-out my S4 and watch it on my phone that way I can lay down comfortably.

Nice touch
post #476 of 476 Old 03-29-2014, 04:33 AM

de8212,

"Initially I thought that I may need to add a wireless adapter to be able to use the Chromecase but following a short research I found the following workaround:

Pick any wireless device (Android phone / laptop / etc) and visit http://www.google.com/chromecast/setup
Follow the instructions to set up the device
On your wired desktop install the chrome extension from the following address https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd
You can now stream from Chrome to your TV
The problem is that during the setup process, the wireless device is connected directly to the Chromecast and not through your home network. That is how it is able to program the Chromecast, name it, connect it to your home network, etc. Once it is saved and connected, you can use any wired / wireless device to stream to your Chromecast."
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Google

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page