post #91 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post

Just seeing this via the AVS monthly newsletter.

So, this is what?

All I see is a way to turn your Netbook, Android Phone, iTablet, etc. into a Remote that displays the device's content on your big screen.

Does that about sum this up?

Chromecast does not display the device's content. It allows you to use a windows/Mac/Android/iOS device to find content that then streams to your TV via the internet. At it's most extreme, it replicates an entire Chrome tab on-screen. It is not a peer-to-peer device, nor is it mirroring the device's display.

Basically, you can have a party with a YouTube jukebox, and everyone who attends can use their own phones to find the next video for the queue.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
they have REMOVED the 3 month netflix promo!

Only those that reserved the first batch will get it
imagic likes this.
post #93 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 58

One potential Killer app for chromecast is spotify's little known browser based player at play.spotify.com

With the ability to stream any chrome tab to the TV, this feature alone should sell a lot of chromecast sticks. It becomes a viable alternative to Apple's Airplay, Western Digital's WDTV or Roku's Spotify app

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

I've been patiently waiting for a Spotify app to hit the PlayStation store, but alas, this may be just the ticket until then.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #94 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmern View Post

I already have Netflix.. so that makes it $11 for this device. Done deal!

As a current Netflix subscriber, are you certain that this "3-months free" promotion can be applied to your current Netflix account?

46" Samsung LN-T4671F FW: 1007 HW: 1001 (2007/08/09)

SA8300HDC with Navigator 2.4.9_3 Version (2008/01/24)

32" Samsung LN32D450G1

42" Panasonic TC-L42E50

post #95 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo View Post

they have REMOVED the 3 month netflix promo!

Only those that reserved the first batch will get it

Thanks for the update!

post #96 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lots of protocol problems playing local video files thru the browser- the device does not seem to work on any Quicktime formats like MOV or 3GPP. Worked on an MP4 but with lots of lost frames. I need to beef up my wireless signal in this end of the house- I'll update this post later tonight after doing so.

So one quirk is, the documentation says the controlling devices need to be on the same wireless frequency as the device, but I can cast from a PC hooked to my router via ethernet cable and with wireless disabled. I'll investigate if this indirect path thru the router has anything to do with dropping frames.

Also, it demands the controlling PC to be on the "same network" as the device. If using ethernet to the PC, as I do extensively, you need to go to the network sharing center on the PC's control panel and rename the ethernet network connection to the same name as your router's SSID if not already the case, else it won't work and demand you reconnect your PC to the home network via WiFi.
DJDeez likes this.
post #97 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Just checked the Best Buy site (where I just purchased the last one in stock at my local BB store) ... and here are the terms for the Netflix promotion:

Offer available while supplies last. Valid for 3 months of Netflix service on the $7.99 (a month) Unlimited Streaming plan (for total value of $23.97). Valid for previous, new and existing Netflix members. A computer or other device that streams from Netflix (manufactured and sold separately) and broadband Internet connection are required to watch instantly. Offer is not redeemable or refundable for cash, subject to applicable law, and cannot be exchanged for Netflix Gift Subscriptions. You may apply the value of the offer to a different plan, or other services offered by Netflix. Exchanges in this manner may alter the duration of the offer. Limit of one promotion will be applied toward each monthly membership fee for your Netflix account. Netflix offer expires 12/31/13.

So I've answered my own question!

32" Samsung LN32D450G1

42" Panasonic TC-L42E50

post #98 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM

I am wondering whether my older Sony will have the ability to change inputs, turn on, etc, that is built in as a CEC device. I have the KDL 32XBR9 and the specs say that it has the Bravia Sync, which seems to be the CEC spec, but then it refers to a "module". Is the module something like the Chromecast device itself, or is there something I need to do to make this work?

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #99 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Netflix promo apparently over....

"Due to overwhelming demand for Chromecast devices since launch, the 3-month Netflix promotion (which was available in limited quantities) is no longer available," Google told The Times in a statement.

Partly because of the Netflix promotion, Chromecast has been selling fast. Both Amazon.com and BestBuy.com sold out of the device by Thursday morning (BestBuy.com is selling the device again). The device can be purchased from the Google Play online store, but it has a shipping wait time of three to four weeks.

Chromecast is being regarded as a challenger to the popular Apple TV, which normally retails for $99.

The Google device will be available at all Best Buy stores this Sunday."
post #100 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM

This looks worthless! I can already watch everything on my TV that it has. Besides, what can it do that just plugging the HDMI cable into my phone can't do?
post #101 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Guys, I don't think this is going to work in most hotels. The connection speed in most hotels isn't even sufficient to reliably watch low-bitrate crap. Not to mention the increasing difficulty of getting to the HDMI ports in some of these installations, and then there's the crippled remotes & control panels that may not provide access to input selection on the TV.
post #102 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post

Possibly really dumb question, but will this work directly plugged into an A/V receiver? Otherwise what's the point if you can't pump the audio through your system?
post #103 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Well played Brazzers.
post #104 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdos View Post

Netflix promo apparently over....

"Due to overwhelming demand for Chromecast devices since launch, the 3-month Netflix promotion (which was available in limited quantities) is no longer available," Google told The Times in a statement.

Partly because of the Netflix promotion, Chromecast has been selling fast. Both Amazon.com and BestBuy.com sold out of the device by Thursday morning (BestBuy.com is selling the device again). The device can be purchased from the Google Play online store, but it has a shipping wait time of three to four weeks.

Chromecast is being regarded as a challenger to the popular Apple TV, which normally retails for $99.

The Google device will be available at all Best Buy stores this Sunday."

Doesn't anyone who would buy this device already have Netflix? Besides, Netflix is currently so overloaded that it won't even play in the evenings when there is nothing good on free OTA TV.
post #105 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec50 View Post

This looks worthless! I can already watch everything on my TV that it has. Besides, what can it do that just plugging the HDMI cable into my phone can't do?

Retrofit a non-"smart" TV to receive Netflix for $35. Probably enough to sell a ton and break into the market. Who knows what Google has planned, being browser-based with a second-screen has many possibilities. But sure, worthless to you.

post #106 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Doesn't anyone who would buy this device already have Netflix? Besides, Netflix is currently so overloaded that it won't even play in the evenings when there is nothing good on free OTA TV.

The three-months free Netflix promo included current customers. Just got my code in the mail today, even though I actually cancelled my membership just a few days ago.

post #107 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Retrofit a non-"smart" TV to receive Netflix for $35. Probably enough to sell a ton and break into the market. Who knows what Google has planned, being browser-based with a second-screen has many possibilities. But sure, worthless to you.
Well it is a little cheaper than buying a Roku but then you need to have a smartphone to use it and I doubt that anyone who doesn't have a Roku doesn't have a smartphone either.
post #108 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Possibly really dumb question, but will this work directly plugged into an A/V receiver? Otherwise what's the point if you can't pump the audio through your system?
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like it would work.
post #109 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

The three-months free Netflix promo included current customers. Just got my code in the mail today, even though I actually cancelled my membership just a few days ago.
I don't see how current customers could use 3 free months? Are they going to cancel it then start it again later? Maybe cancel it when it slows down to a crawl and becomes useless and not start it again at all!
post #110 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Well it is a little cheaper than buying a Roku but then you need to have a smartphone to use it and I doubt that anyone who doesn't have a Roku doesn't have a smartphone either.

Still no YouTube on Roku... and queueing up YouTube Videos seems to be the main thrust of the Chromecast marketing at the moment.

post #111 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techcoyote View Post

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like it would work.
Maybe if the AV receiver has HDMI inputs. Otherwise you could just take the digital out from the TV and run it to the receiver.
post #112 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

I don't see how current customers could use 3 free months? Are they going to cancel it then start it again later? Maybe cancel it when it slows down to a crawl and becomes useless and not start it again at all!

You get a gift code, and if you are already a customer, your account gets three months of credit.

post #113 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Read my earlier posting above!

32" Samsung LN32D450G1

42" Panasonic TC-L42E50

post #114 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 12
We just picked one up at the BB store.
The clerk took my email address and the code from Netflix was in my email when I got home. It was also on the store receipt.
The hard part was finding someone in the store that knew what I was looking for, and knew it was behind the customer service desk waiting to be put out on the shelf with flash drives.
imagic likes this.
post #115 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Millions of Canadians want to go all Google all the time.
Thing is Cromecast and Music manger are still not being offered up here.
And most of us don't want to drop into a grey area to make things happen .
We're Canadian after all.
post #116 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

I have one limited use that would justify me buying this--I'd like to be able to stream Youtube videos/playlists to my TV. I have two Roku's that don't have Youtube apps (come on, Roku!!). I have a DVD player that has a Youtube app, but it doesn't easily allow me to access my Youtube account and get playlists, etc. So I would pay $35 to get this.

My question is: Can I plug this into an HDMI input on my Yamaha AVR so the sound will use my home theater speakers, etc.? Seems like it should, but all the blurbs/ads I've seen just talk about plugging it "into your TV."

TIA for any enlightenment.

STP

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #117 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Liked: 31
OK, so I finally bought a bridge router for this part of my house, and now it is perfect.
Using a 1080p video on Youtube, initiated by a PC connected to a router downstairs only by ethernet, the Googlecast connecting wirelessly to a second, bridged router nearby, the SSID no longer matched to the network name, the picture quality is absolutely amazing and the audio sounds great, although I am not yet testing any digital aspects of it. But there is no quiver in the image or audio, and this is full 1080p. Fantastic.
Google talks about the difference between an optimized playback, as within YT, versus casting the tab with the video playing in it, saying to always use the YT plugin.
The quality of the connection is important. I have true gigabit ethernet and a very good bridge wireless router. This matters esp the wireless. As an aside, I streamed a local file MP4 using the bult-in Chrome player from a distant PC itself wirelessly connected to the main router and this was flawless by eye. The key seems to be a strong signal for the device.
The YT video has an icon in the lower-right corner which select between the PC and the Googlecast. (note it isn't exactly the way Google said it would be- just click the icon in the corner) .
When the video is finished the cast "releases"- the TV goes to the cool Googlecast screensavers and the browser window says further YT videso are set for the Computer.
The extension works fine in Chromium.
Here is a screen shot taken by hand with my phone.
DJDeez likes this.
post #118 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Still no YouTube on Roku... and queueing up YouTube Videos seems to be the main thrust of the Chromecast marketing at the moment.

Hey...Pssst...yes there is. Use Plex with the the Plex Youtube plugin via the "Unsupported AppStore" App. It works very well

You'll need Plex media center on a laptop or PC and the Youtube plugin bundle - https://github.com/plexinc-plugins

Enjoy
post #119 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwice View Post

Millions of Canadians want to go all Google all the time.
Thing is Cromecast and Music manger are still not being offered up here.
And most of us don't want to drop into a grey area to make things happen .
We're Canadian after all.

If you know someone with a functioning Google Music account, you might be able to persuade them to give you an invite. A buddy of mine had an invite he gave me and I was able to sign up for Google Music in Canada. Works on my phone as well. Like Netflix, they run into all sorts of licensing problems with content...most likely due to the big provider monopolies here.
post #120 of 476 Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM

Has anybody successfully downloaded the Netflix promotion from the Best Buy Digital Library? Every time I sign on to BB and click on the "Download" button, I get an error.

We're sorry, the system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. For help, please call Customer Service at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for help. Reference #501

Tried call customer service, but they were absolutely no help!

32" Samsung LN32D450G1

42" Panasonic TC-L42E50

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Google

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page