Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

So far I'm not very satisfied with Chromecast. Choppy video playback being the main cause. I know its current limitations and realize that developers will eventually take advantage, but the streaming is just awful right now. Even when going into the settings via the desktop browser and changing it to 480p. At least my Apple TVs handle 1080p / 5.1 with no problem. This thing, not so much. Hoping for a firmware update soon.

So the problem is browser casting, and not app casting? Do you see the same choppiness on the video shown on the computer? If not, is your WiFi signal weak or your conditions congested? Is your computer load high?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
You get what you pay for applies here. For a mere $60 more I'd rather get a far superior AppleTV or Roku. Having a good internet service AND wifi is a must. Personally I feel the additional costs of the other devices are worth it so I don't need another device to play movies (phone/tablet), option of connecting by ethernet and not being EXPOSED to Googles commericals and SPYING tactics.

Personally I'm more in favor of Apple's vision. Google makes money by force feeding you adds. They lose money on selling devices thus they offer ZERO tech support. Apple makes money on selling devices and offering superior support. In other words Google can sell you crap for cheap and they will make money as long as you watch their commercials.

Apple wants to get rid of commericals. I'm all for it and would PAY not to see commericals:

http://www.geekosystem.com/ad-free-apple-tv/
post #183 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Your argument has merit at the $35 price point...but at $13 (considering I already have Netflix streaming)...I considered it foolish not to pick one up just to play with on my secondary flat panel and/or as another tool in my portable tech kit.

PSN ID: Kranin
post #184 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

So the problem is browser casting, and not app casting? Do you see the same choppiness on the video shown on the computer? If not, is your WiFi signal weak or your conditions congested? Is your computer load high?

Browser casting. More specifically, streaming 720p and/or 1080p content from my iTunes Library on my Macbook Pro to ChromeCast, seems to give it hiccups. Enough system resources for it not to be on the Mac side. Streaming from my Galaxy S4 (YouTube content) is sufficient. Though it did take longer than expected (YouTube app to ChromeCast) to begin streaming video and once streaming, quality was still a bit pixelated. 30Mbps broadband + wireless-N router here.

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #185 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

The Netflix offer is still available from Best Buy for now if you can find availability. It is still showing on the Best Buy website on the product page.

The expiration date / time quoted is for orders placed with Amazon
Quote:

You and I both confirmed this morning it (the Netflix offer) is still available from Best Buy - as above you can also check the product page at Best Buy and it is still there....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&st=chromecast

Just alerting other AVS members....

I grabbed this information from Amazom earlier today:

Netflix Promotion No Longer Available
Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date.

Unfortunately, My order confirmation email date stamp is: July 24, 2013 7:32:20 PM CDT

I really wanted the free 3 months of Netflix.

Mark
post #186 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I grabbed this information from Amazom earlier today:

Netflix Promotion No Longer Available
Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date.

Unfortunately, My order confirmation email date stamp is: July 24, 2013 7:32:20 PM CDT

I really wanted the free 3 months of Netflix.

Mark

Hi Mark, I purchased my chromecast last night via BestBuy online and chose in-store pickup. This was *after* the word of the Netflix nix. Have you checked your local BestBuy to see if you can still get the deal?

I just picked up mine this morning from the Birmingham BB and by the time I got home I had received an email with my discount code for the Netflix offer:

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #187 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

Browser casting. More specifically, streaming 720p and/or 1080p content from my iTunes Library on my Macbook Pro to ChromeCast, seems to give it hiccups. Enough system resources for it not to be on the Mac side. Streaming from my Galaxy S4 (YouTube content) is sufficient. Though it did take longer than expected (YouTube app to ChromeCast) to begin streaming video and once streaming, quality was still a bit pixelated. 30Mbps broadband + wireless-N router here.

Ok.

Just a quick correction: note that Android/iOS app casting isn't casting from those devices at all; it's simply directing cloud services to stream data to your Chromecast device *instead* of the device where the app is running. Browser casting is different; that device may be receiving whatever data it is getting (e.g. HBO Go servers, or a local SAN, perhaps via wired networking or your local wifi), and then packing the video back up and shipping it to the Chromecast device via your local wifi.

post #188 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 PM

I ordered a Chromecast from Best Buy last night and picked it up today. My initial impression is Netflix and YouTube look great but browser based streaming content is laggy to the point of unwatchable. I have a 15mb dsl Internet connection and I am using a DD-WRT repeater in the same room with the Chromecast.
post #189 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

Hi Mark, I purchased my chromecast last night via BestBuy online and chose in-store pickup. This was *after* the word of the Netflix nix. Have you checked your local BestBuy to see if you can still get the deal?

I just picked up mine this morning from the Birmingham BB and by the time I got home I had received an email with my discount code for the Netflix offer:

I did see several posts to that affect, but I am not going to bother with Best Buy; not enough time in my days.

Thanks for pointing it out, though. smile.gif

Mark
post #190 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post

Your argument has merit at the $35 price point...but at $13 (considering I already have Netflix streaming)...I considered it foolish not to pick one up just to play with on my secondary flat panel and/or as another tool in my portable tech kit.

If I spent thousands on audio/video equipment I'm willing to pay an extra $80 to get a superior product. One that has most of its bugs worked out and has tons of source content (only a few content providers support chromecast). But most importantly I want an ethernet connection so my video does not stutter or freeze. If we are talking strictly about costs you could do better just hooking up your tablet with an hdmi cord to the tv. That's cheaper than the chromecast and does 90% of what it does. There is always something cheaper. But rarely does the cheapest product produce the best value.

Not to mention only a few thousand probably got the netflix deal. Talk about bait and switch.
post #191 of 476 Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 253
There are one or two folks on this forum who claim they can get high res high bitrate streaming on wireless. I doubt with a thing the size of the Chromecast you'll ever consistently get much better quality than say YouTube. Now if this thing had a network jack I'd be all over it but alas, lacking one makes me look upon it as a mere toy.
post #192 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsdaddy View Post

I ordered a Chromecast from Best Buy last night and picked it up today. My initial impression is Netflix and YouTube look great but browser based streaming content is laggy to the point of unwatchable. I have a 15mb dsl Internet connection and I am using a DD-WRT repeater in the same room with the Chromecast.

Agreed.

16 Mbps Comcast connection with Asus RT-N66U with excellent signal to Chromecast/PC/IOS devices.

Netflix/YouTube look great but casting from Chrome on (reasonably modern) PC is like watching a slide show......

Hopefully they will fix/improve.....
post #193 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm envious of those of you who report casting Spotify, etc. On my PC, no audio comes thru when casting tabs from the browser, unless the audio is rendered by Chrome's default extension clicking an MP3 or MP4 hyperlink. There is something amiss in my audio set-up somewhere.

Another mild annoyance. If you have more than 1 router in your home in a "bridge" setup, your Phone and your Chromecast must be on the same router to talk. While a wired PC need only be anywhere on the network, wireless aren't as smartly regulated. It's a bit annoying having to manually switch the phone.
post #194 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 05:17 AM

It's even more annoying if you have to change the network on the Chromecast. I haven't found a way to do this other than to perform a 25 second button push reset.
post #195 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 06:25 AM

More vaporware/Googleconjob?
From your phone, if you try to use Google Play to play a personal music file on the phone, rather than in the Google cloud, it gives you an error that you cannot cast a "sideloaded file."
Also, perhaps others have already noted this, but you can't cast a Chrome tab from your phone. There is no peer-to-peer connection with a phone or tablet. Sorry, but Google flat-out lied about this.
Also, my issues with sound and Hulu were Chromium-based. Switching (back) to "full" Chrome fixed these.
So, to test the sound/Cloud, I actually looked at Google Play, which said I could upload up to 20,000 "songs" each of which could be up to 300MB. It's an extraordinary claim, as it would be 6 TB of storage. Excepting they know to not store the same song twice, only a second pointer to it. So I uploaded my music files, 30GB, and during the upload GP expressed no concern over directory size, only counting the songs. It's funny to me, the same company that limits the free Google Drive to 5GB will let me have a free (and just as sync-ed) music library of infinite size. I wonder if Google willl be forced to renege, again, if many others do as I do.
Chodite likes this.
post #196 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Chromecast config file hints at HBO Go app testing, prodding reveals DIAL details

Google's Chromecast dongle has already blown through its supply of Netflix discount codes and now that they're in the wild all sorts of people are taking a look at how the devices work. For example, CJ Heres of GTV Hacker points out a configuration file that appears to list testing apps for Chromecast.

While most of the services named in the file are those already announced (Netflix, Revision3, Google Play Music, Pandora etc.) and other devs working on support for AOL On and Songza, there's also an entry for HBO Go. Google told Wired yesterday streaming from the website should work out of the box, however other sites they mentioned will work, like Hulu and Rdio, are not listed in the file, so we may see official app support sooner rather than later.

Full Story Here

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #197 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

More vaporware/Googleconjob?

Do you know what vaporware is? Ill give you a hint and its not something announced one day and available to the public the next for sale. People are expecting an awful loi for something that is delivering quite a bit for 13 dollars(minus the 3 months free of netflix). And for another person in this thread I ordered mine from BB on Thursday and received it Friday with 3months of netflix. Im going to guess its well more than a few thousand who received that promotion since there are others in this thread who purchases as recently as yesterday afternoon also received the netflix promotion.
post #198 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

So having spent sometime with it yesterday it seems apps (Netflix, YouTube etc) can be cast from PC and IOS devices (I have tried iPad and iPhone) but casting anything else from Chrome can only be done on the PC (not IOS devices) - or am I missing something. As I noted above casting from Chrome from a PC is like a slideshow for now - so not a big deal - especially as I can use airplay mirroring for a lot of things to my Apple TV.
post #199 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Not to mention only a few thousand probably got the netflix deal. Talk about bait and switch.

I believe the number I read was over 200,000 Netflix deals before they "ran out". More than just a few thousand.
post #200 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

From your phone, if you try to use Google Play to play a personal music file on the phone, rather than in the Google cloud, it gives you an error that you cannot cast a "sideloaded file."
Also, perhaps others have already noted this, but you can't cast a Chrome tab from your phone. There is no peer-to-peer connection with a phone or tablet. Sorry, but Google flat-out lied about this.

Actually, no, you may have read others who reported this, but Google never claimed you could play a local file from a phone or tablet to the chromecast. That is one of the things that differentiates it from Airplay/AppleTV. I'm sure in time there will be app developers who will figure out a way to do this, but not at launch. HOWEVER, there is a good side to this -- by streaming from optimized apps directly from the internet (although at launch these optimized apps are few, admitedly), you don't tie up the device with just the streaming to the TV-attached device. With ATV, if I airplay something from my ipad, I can't do anything else with that ipad. If I want to check my email while the video is streaming, I'm out of luck. With Google's approach, where I'm merely sending a "link" to the chromecast browser from my phone or tablet, I can then go and do whatever I want with my ipad or phone without it disrupting the stream.

Remember, this just launched 2 days ago. Don't remember if it was on this forum or another that I was reading that was linked from here, but the chromecast actually runs a version of Android, not actually chromeOS, and there is at least one group who has already claimed to have rooted the device. If they could find a way to have it run or receive stream from XBMC for $35, they will sell a boatload of them.
jonathanc likes this.
post #201 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 15
My initial impressions. I got in on the netflix deal so yeah I'm pretty happy with it for the price I paid.
http://blog.arogan.com/2013/07/google-chromecast.html
post #202 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

So having spent sometime with it yesterday it seems apps (Netflix, YouTube etc) can be cast from PC and IOS devices (I have tried iPad and iPhone) but casting anything else from Chrome can only be done on the PC (not IOS devices) - or am I missing something. As I noted above casting from Chrome from a PC is like a slideshow for now - so not a big deal - especially as I can use airplay mirroring for a lot of things to my Apple TV.

Close - Browser casting (itself still in Beta, remember) is supported on most Windows machines, Macs, and the Chromebook Pixel so far. Looking up on the public help page... yeah, minimum system requirements are here.

post #203 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone explain to me how different this would be to being able to "cast" videos to my samsung smart tv Via YouTube and Netflix apps on my iPhone.

I know chrome tabs can be shown to your tv. Does it work as advertised? Can I broadcast a page that plays flash videos to show those videos on tv? I know the web browser on the samsung kinda sucks. Won't play flash and controlling it is a pita.

I run plex for my locally network stored collection so that isn't my worry.

sig
post #204 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabih786 View Post

Can someone explain to me how different this would be to being able to "cast" videos to my samsung smart tv Via YouTube and Netflix apps on my iPhone.

I think there are a few reasons to consider using Chromecast compared to your TV's native app. I've not used Samsung TV apps, but if they're comparable to the Panny TV apps, they're probably... not great. This is just my personal experience:

- I find it much more convenient to search and control the stuff I want to watch or listen to using my phones and tablets, rather than punching things into a remote control. On YouTube, I can more easily navigate to my subscribed channels, my "Watch Later" list, etc.
- Netflix apps sometimes take forever to start up. I've not run it with a stopwatch, but you can go from "launch to watch" much faster using your phone than you can using the PS3 Netflix client -- and the Tivo Netflix client is just a nightmare.
- My PS3 Netflix experience involves the screen flickering (at least 0.5 sec) every time there's a change of resolution, which is generally several times during the beginning of a movie or episode. The disturbance on the Chromecast is greatly reduced.
- In addition, you can set up a queue of things to watch via your Chromecast.
- Multiple devices can control the viewing. You can play something, someone else in your family can pause it, or forward to the next video, or add something to the YouTube queue, etc.

All this said, if you have a broadband connection which yields a lot of interruptions, you may want a Netflix app on a device capable of significant buffering.
Quote:
I know chrome tabs can be shown to your tv. Does it work as advertised? Can I broadcast a page that plays flash videos to show those videos on tv? I know the web browser on the samsung kinda sucks. Won't play flash and controlling it is a pita.

In my experience with Flash sites, yes -- including HBO Go, and ESPN. But I personally haven't tested the feature on a bunch of others. I believe sites which use Silverlight still don't work, e.g. Amazon Prime video which defaults to Silverlight rather than Flash.

Note the screen casting feature is still in beta, which means you should expect some speedbumps. Some people on this thread are already giving examples of such.
sabih786 likes this.

post #205 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I honestly think that you're already using Samsung SMART function in the last 2 or 3 iterations, nothing will be better than that. As much I dislike Samsung TV in general, their SMART function is the only one that I'd use. Everything else is extremely pale in comparison.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #206 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post

Orders placed before 1PM PST on 7/25 get the netflix promo.

I ordered mine on wednesday from Amazon, it arrived today. I see no sign of a netflix code. The netflix offer is one reason I ordered it. Any idea who I need to contact to get it?

custom printed apparel http://www.inktastic.com
post #207 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dail View Post

I ordered mine on wednesday from Amazon, it arrived today. I see no sign of a netflix code. The netflix offer is one reason I ordered it. Any idea who I need to contact to get it?

Call amazon.. or support brick and mortar stores where if something goes wrong you can actually talk to someone.
post #208 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dail View Post

According to the Amazon page for the Chromecast, if your order was time stamped before 5:31pm PST on Wednesday, July 24, you will receive your Netflix gift code via e-mail within 5 days of their product ship date ... so I'd say you need to wait a couple more days before you bother calling Amazon.

What's the time stamp on your July 24th order from Amazon?

46" Samsung LN-T4671F FW: 1007 HW: 1001 (2007/08/09)

SA8300HDC with Navigator 2.4.9_3 Version (2008/01/24)

32" Samsung LN32D450G1

42" Panasonic TC-L42E50

post #209 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 PM

It's absolutely an arb to put it in your AVR as opposed the TV, provided you have a USB port on the AVR with power, as I find myself wanting to also just listen to music with the TV off.
post #210 of 476 Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

Close - Browser casting (itself still in Beta, remember) is supported on most Windows machines, Macs, and the Chromebook Pixel so far. Looking up on the public help page... yeah, minimum system requirements are here.

So an Intel Core 2 Duo E7550 doesn't cut it to do casting from a browser.........

Wow that would rule many of the PC's in current use

I am am using 64-bit Windows 7 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7550 (2.25GHz) - and casting from Chome does look like a slideshow.

From the minimum system requirements I need a 2nd-generation Core i5 (2GHz+), 3rd/4th-generation Core i5 processor, or equivalent for high quality.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Google

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page