TCL 50" UHDTV for $999 Puts Price Pressure on Premium Panel Producers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Thanks for the info. But I can never get the blacks of the two Seiki to match Sony. Furthermore the upscaling on the Seiki (or Yamaha receiver, or Oppo) are far below the upscaling quality of the Sony.

With the lack of 4K materials, upscaling is extremely important and so far I haven't seen anything that surpasses Sony TV. Not even Sony's receiver or blu-ray upscaler. Heck, not even Toshiba's marseilles Technicolor Certified upscaler can match Sony 4K Reality engine.
So Oppo (BDP-103?) has a garbage 4k upscaling implementation? ;(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Garbage? No. Compared to Sony 4K Reality Engine? Nothing else comes close (yet).

Some companies (LG, Samsung) created more of a "wow" effect than Sony, but when compared to native 4K files, only Sony can upscale HD most accurately...at least for the time being.

Of course commercial-theatre upscalers are better than Sony TV's upscaler but that's completely besides the point.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In Australia and New Zealand I have seen TCL tv's being sold in stores for years, and it generally competes with the other Chinese branded type ones. We tend to get most of the big brand tv's here, we have the full range of 4k sony and LG tvs in most stores. We don't have Vizio, and Philips died out years ago although we had the ultra widescreen Philips models in store.

With the 4k tvs, although they upscale, I still can't say that i'm that impressed so far. And even the new sonys that can upscale slightly better, still appear to show a similar but subtle muira type effect. similar to what all the original HD Bravias had with backlighting issues, although not as obvious as it was 8 or so years ago.

And with commercial theatres, most tend to play 4k movies these days here unless a 4k version doesn't exist, and then it is obvious that you are not watching 4k. i'm actually pretty sure i saw monsters inc 2 the other day and it was definitely not being shown at 4k when i have seen 4k movies in the cinema before, was quite disappointing.

$1k for a 50" 2160p monitor can't be that bad really and you can really get it more for the resolution, and definitely worth the lower price and especially while content is very sparse. I've even heard the Sony tvs don't have any hdmi 2 spec or option to upgrade, so why pay a premium for a very uncertain future proof type product? It's like the first sony bravias. the X series had HDMI, the S series only had Component and VGA. I remember many guys on forums getting the S series, saying "HDMI will never take off that quick, I don't need it" .......Next models to come out all had HDMI....

now if it was a 4k Sony SXRD tv, then maybe it would be a bit of a different comparison.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I had not heard much about TCL televisions before today, but thanks to a bold pricing move in the UHDTV segment, the little-known brand is getting some attention in the press. The LED edge-lit 50-inch 7E504D is the first UHD/4K to sport a retail price under $1000—if only by a buck. That's about $100 less than the previous lowest-priced 50" UHD panel, the equally creatively named SE50UY04 from Seiki.

TCL introduced a $999 50" UHDTV
At such a low price point, one expects to sacrifice some features. Missing from the 50" TCL's spec sheet is any sort 3D capability, and the 7E504D can't really be described as "smart" in any way. But with four HDMI inputs (with MHL capability) and built-in UHD scaling, adding that functionality—perhaps with a Roku or a Chromecast HDMI dongle—is a piece of cake. There's also a USB port for easily viewing photos and video clips on a thumb drive.

The introduction of this new 50" UHDTV ends the reign of the Seiki 50" UHDTV as the sole "bargain" UHD option. I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in how the new, even cheaper competitor from TCL performs.
If this 50-incher sports picture quality that looks at all decent, is the low price reason enough to buy it? Or are all the extra features offered by the name brands a must-have?

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Excellent I may be in the market for this one. TCL is the world's third largest producer of LED LCD TVs, it was the maker of RCA and this TV has a 5,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 285
And so it begin's. Like 3D before it the run to make a quick buck off 4K has started. Now even the no name manufacturers are cashing in or I should say the manufacturers that hardly anyone knows about or has never heard of. rolleyes.gif

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

TCL is a huge manufacturer, just because NA consumers don't know the brand doesn't mean it's an unknown brand. At CES 2013, their booth is larger than Pioneer, triple of JVC, and even much much larger than RCA. Quality, however, is not up there with their "big"-ness. biggrin.gif

my home theatre

Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 12
Regarding the image processing capabilities of these devices. The big guys don't need it; they can buy or lease it.

There are a number of small start-ups or simply small companies who live and breathe making chips that do wondrous things (e.g., Darbee). A Chinese manufacturer with a good panel can use their technology. They have the bucks (yen, yuan, etc.) and leverage to get production quantities of chips the a small developer can't fund. There are some crazy good chip and firmware designers out there.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
It appears that the higher quality 4K UHD video sources in the future will require the connected UHD displays to have at least HDMI 1.4 with HDCP 2.2, if not full HDMI 2.0 (not available until 2014), inputs to be able to display native 4K video. Sony has recently changed out the HDMI 1.4 input boards on their HDTVs to upgrade to HDCP 2.2 in order to satisfy the movie studio concerns for digital copyright protection. These budget UHDTVs don't really provide any benefit to the consumer unless they will be able to display native 4K video and it now seems these early TCL and Seiki (and more coming) budget UHDs may very well not work with the future Blu-ray 3D and probably other 4K sources providing Hollywood blockbuster movies at full 4K resolution. Budget UHDTVs with HDMI 2.0 inputs will probably become available sometime in mid-2014 and by then you can probably pick up a budget 65" model for under $2K and perhaps a reasonably good quality one for twice that price.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 AM

Liked: 14
Is the lower picture quality of these manufacturers a function of the weak processing and software or something more fundamental in the screen? Could you take one of these, couple it to a high quality processor like a lumagen and just use the screen as a dumb screen to display an image? Would that make the picture any better?

I am still wondering whether there is market for a dumb tv coupled to a smart processor where you keep updating the processor and not the tv screen?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The lack of black level and other deficiencies are due to the panel quality, backlighting mechanism (the light, light control and light diffuser) and colour decoder. None of which can be compensated by Lumagen, etc.

my home theatre

Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post

Is the lower picture quality of these manufacturers a function of the weak processing and software or something more fundamental in the screen? Could you take one of these, couple it to a high quality processor like a lumagen and just use the screen as a dumb screen to display an image? Would that make the picture any better?

I am still wondering whether there is market for a dumb tv coupled to a smart processor where you keep updating the processor and not the tv screen?

That's how Samsung does it with its 4K UHD lineup, so the answer is definitely "yes."

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Liked: 14
So what would be the best budget, dumb TV to pair with a high quality video processing BD player such as an oppo? Is there a way one could use the 500 dollar investment in an oppo to buy a cheaper TV as a dumb terminal?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone connected a computer with 4K resolution output to this TCL TV? I am wondering if it has the same limitation as Seiki where you can only do 4K at 30hz. If I can do 4K at 60hz on this TV, I may be interested as a monitor.

My Setup: Samsung 46in F6030, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Alienware m11x, Custom Xeon i7 3.4ghz, 12GB ram, 240GB SSD, ATI Radeon 6950 2GB
Old 12-09-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberry View Post

Has anyone connected a computer with 4K resolution output to this TCL TV? I am wondering if it has the same limitation as Seiki where you can only do 4K at 30hz. If I can do 4K at 60hz on this TV, I may be interested as a monitor.

The specs from the Chinese TCL page do not mention HDMI 2.0, so it must still have HDMI 1.4 which is only up to 4K@30hz. Don't even know if the 1.4 ports are HDCP 2.2 compliant for playing copy protected content from 4K streaming and upcoming 4K blu-ray players. Everything being equal, I would guess this would preform only slightly better than the Seiki.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM

Liked: 12

Remember Apex Digital?

http://apexdigitalinc.com/Welcome.html

They really drove the price of DVD players down.

Apex AD-600A DVD Player -- My first DVD set. his thing would play most anything I threw at it (mp3's and svcd's).

I remember chuckling at the 2 karaoke jacks it had built in.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

They were sued by the DVD Forum to oblivion as the way for them to reach the lower price ( at that time) was by not paying any licensing fee to DVD Forum, Dolby, DTS, Orange Book CD etc. biggrin.gif

my home theatre