The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Gets the Extended Treatment Too - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144

Tolkien fans rejoice! It was announced today that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition will be released on Blu-ray and Blu-Ray 3D November 5th, 2013. The extended edition will have an extra 13 minutes of footage not seen in theaters or on the Blu-ray editions already released. The 2D Blu-ray will have an MSRP of $35.99 and the 3D Blu-ray will have an MSRP of $54.98.

In a press release from Warner Bros., Peter Jackson spoke about the extended edition:
Quote:
“I’m thrilled that the Extended Edition will give fans the opportunity to experience certain key scenes in the film as they were originally shot, as well as an abundance of special features,” said Jackson. “It’s exciting to present this expanded and enriched version of ‘An Unexpected Journey’ to allow fans to fully immerse themselves in the movie, before seeing the second part of the trilogy.”

This release was to be expected. Just like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy, each of those films also received the extended edition treatment around November the following year after theatrical release. This new release will also feature bonus content that the theatrical cut verison did not contain.

Warner and New line issued the following press release explaining the extended edition Blu-ray:
Quote:
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY EXTENDED EDITION

A PRODUCTION OF NEW LINE CINEMA
AND METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER PICTURES,
ARRIVES ON DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ON
OCTOBER 22TH AND ON BLU-RAY 3DTM,
BLU-RAY™ AND DVD NOVEMBER 5TH FROM
WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Features a 13-Minute Longer Cut and 
 Nearly Nine Hours of New Special Features
Burbank, Calif., July 31, 2013 – Fans of Middle-earth will have the opportunity to gain a broader experience of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, when the epic fantasy adventure is released as an Extended Edition on Digital Download October 22nd and on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD on November 5th from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE). A production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures, this new cut includes 13 minutes of extra film footage that extends individual scenes, making this the must-see, definitive version for fans. All disc versions of the Extended Edition include nearly nine hours of new bonus features and will be available just ahead of the December 13 theatrical release of the second film of the trilogy, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

“I’m thrilled that the Extended Edition will give fans the opportunity to experience certain key scenes in the film as they were originally shot, as well as an abundance of special features,” said Jackson. “It’s exciting to present this expanded and enriched version of ‘An Unexpected Journey’ to allow fans to fully immerse themselves in the movie, before seeing the second part of the trilogy.”
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition will be available as a 5-disc Blu-ray 3D set ($54.98 SRP) that features the Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray versions of the Extended Edition; a 3-disc Blu-ray ($35.99) and a 5-disc DVD ($34.99) The Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD all include UltraVioletTM which allows consumers to download and instantly stream the Extended Edition in high definition to a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players.*
The nearly nine hours of new special features boasts audio commentary with Peter Jackson, director/producer/screenwriter, and Philippa Boyens, co-producer/screenwriter, and “The Appendices,” a multi-part documentary focusing on various aspects of the film and the Trilogy. Complete special feature details are provided below.
The first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” was nominated for three Academy Awards®1.

SYNOPSIS

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first in Peter Jackson’s highly anticipated trilogy adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome Dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the Wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 Dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild, through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs, as well as a mysterious and sinister figure known only as the Necromancer.
Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the Goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum.
Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of ingenuity and courage that surprise even him; he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities…A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.
The screenplay for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson & Guillermo del Toro, based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. Jackson also produced the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), Present a WingNut Films Production, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. All three films in The Hobbit Trilogy, also including The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and the final film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, are productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures handled worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution handled by MGM.

ALL-NEW SPECIAL FEATURES ON BLU-RAY 3D, BLU-RAY AND DVD:

Commentary with Peter Jackson, Director/Producer/Screenwriter and Philippa Boyens, Co-Producer/Screenwriter
The Appendices – A multi-part chronological history of the filming of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects.
New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition
Street Date: November 5, 2013
Order Due Date: October 1, 2013
Rating: PG-13
Run Time: 184 mins.
Blu-ray 3D: $54.98 SRP
Blu-ray: $35.99 SRP
DVD: $34.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.
Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

ULTRAVIOLET

*UltraViolet allows you to collect watch and share movies and TV shows in a whole new way. Available with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs, DVDs and Digital Downloads, UltraViolet lets you create a digital collection of movies and TV shows. Services such as Flixster and VUDU allow you to instantly stream and download UltraViolet content across a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players. Restrictions and limitations apply. Go to www.ultraviolet.flixster.com/info for details. For more information on compatible devices go to wb.com/ultravioletdevices.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment’s home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees, as well as directly to consumers through WBShop.com and WB Ultra.

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. is a leading entertainment company focused on the production and distribution of film and television content globally. The company owns one of the world’s deepest libraries of premium film and television content. In addition, MGM has investments in domestic and international television channels. For more information, visit www.mgm.com

Source: TheOneRing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Didn't see this coming rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Yeah, I got an alert today from that "Blu-Ray" web site. I held off buying The Hobbit knowing that an extended edition was coming.

I know that The Hobbit was already "long enough" (too long?) for a lot of people, but maybe the additional 12 minutes will help things flow a little better. It isn't like it is 30 minutes longer or anything, just 12 minutes spread out over the whole movie.

Can't wait to get this.
post #4 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Just pre-ordered the extended 3D for $38.49

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Subs: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #5 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Only 13 minutes longer? What's up with that Peter? He could've put both versions on one disc.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #6 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is the 3D version 48 frames/sec? Can that even be done with 3D blueray?
post #7 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Is the 3D version 48 frames/sec? Can that even be done with 3D blueray?

No it can not.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #8 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Damn, I was hoping they would make a shorter cut of the film and maybe it would be more watchable. I was VERY disappointed with the film (as was my family) and doubt I'll see Part 2 in the theater.
Osirus23 likes this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #9 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Damn, I was hoping they would make a shorter cut of the film and maybe it would be more watchable. I was VERY disappointed with the film (as was my family) and doubt I'll see Part 2 in the theater.

Couldn't resist could you biggrin.gif I'm in as long as the bass has eek.gifeek.gif Ok now I just had to do that and for those who know why wink.gif
post #10 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think the price is justified for only an extra 13 minutes. For that they should have just had it on the original release.

Now if they would have made it 48FPS over 2 discs and maybe some extra footage then maybe.

This is just pure corporate greed and I will not be purchasing it until all 3 films come out and price drops dramatically!
kemiza and gamermwm like this.
post #11 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I don't think the price is justified for only an extra 13 minutes. For that they should have just had it on the original release.

Now if they would have made it 48FPS over 2 discs and maybe some extra footage then maybe.

This is just pure corporate greed and I will not be purchasing it until all 3 films come out and price drops dramatically!
You may be waiting longer than you think.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #12 of 55 Old 07-31-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

You may be waiting longer than you think.

That's fine... or I'll just get them used. I have no problem going that route as long as it's in good condition. So they'll lose out on even more money from me which is good.
post #13 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

+1 This was way too long already, this film needs a new tighter editing, not elongating it.
Osirus23 likes this.

The Hun
post #14 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are MSRP

$35.99 MSRP for the 2D, and current pricing of $10 less for preorders at that moc.nozamA (LOL) place. Prices will drop even more when the release date gets closer. The non-extended version was about the same price when the release date was announced and available for pre-order, but dropped to $19.99 pretty much everywhere on the actual release date.

As far as greed, this isn't a Star Wars thing. People speculated a long time ago based off of the LOTR series, and it was confirmed online prior to the theatrical release on blu-ray that there would be an extended edition.

So if someone bought the regular release with all of the previous experience with the LOTR series, and/or information from online about the extended editions coming, then that is too bad if they want the extended edition too. However, with an anticipated actual release day price closer to the $19.99 price for the extended edition, it doesn't seem greedy.

I am sure that the whole "box set" of all 3 films in some ultimate collection will be priced better (after the initial pricing) with a few more bells and whistles. Unfortunately, you will be waiting until after the 2015 regular blu-ray release, then the 2015 extended edition release, and then the late 2015/early 2016 ultimate box set, an then to mid-2016 for the price to drop.
post #15 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Those are MSRP

$35.99 MSRP for the 2D, and current pricing of $10 less for preorders at that moc.nozamA (LOL) place. Prices will drop even more when the release date gets closer. The non-extended version was about the same price when the release date was announced and available for pre-order, but dropped to $19.99 pretty much everywhere on the actual release date.

As far as greed, this isn't a Star Wars thing. People speculated a long time ago based off of the LOTR series, and it was confirmed online prior to the theatrical release on blu-ray that there would be an extended edition.

So if someone bought the regular release with all of the previous experience with the LOTR series, and/or information from online about the extended editions coming, then that is too bad if they want the extended edition too. However, with an anticipated actual release day price closer to the $19.99 price for the extended edition, it doesn't seem greedy.

I am sure that the whole "box set" of all 3 films in some ultimate collection will be priced better (after the initial pricing) with a few more bells and whistles. Unfortunately, you will be waiting until after the 2015 regular blu-ray release, then the 2015 extended edition release, and then the late 2015/early 2016 ultimate box set, an then to mid-2016 for the price to drop.

I'll wait until 2018 and get the 4k release to play on my new $1000 4k projector.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #16 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 317
It takes nearly an hour for them to get out of the house. Imagine if they added the 13 minutes to that scene eek.gif

this is a rental at best.
breezy2012 likes this.
post #17 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

A certain percentage of film watchers always seem to complain about overly long films. smile.gif

In this case Peter Jackson is attempting to make a LOTR trilogy out of just the one book. Personally I wold like to see him do the Silmarillion which I recall encompassed a lot more epic highlights. Still I enjoyed this revisit to the Token environment. True there were parts that were a little dragged out, and this late extended version being launched now is a lot more laughable compared to the LOTR trilogy which in parts was very compressed. In particular the Return of the King needed the extended content to add the missing parts of the story. Anyway its just entertainment, and not everything is perfect always! wink.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #18 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I want shorter versions of his movies.
freemeat likes this.
post #19 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Who cares...the hobbit is not as popular as lotr
Osirus23 likes this.
post #20 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Those are MSRP

I understand the difference between MSRP and street.

The greed I'm referring to is milking the customers to have to buy anther version for which it should have just been included in the first one.

I don't feel adding 13 minutes (as it's called an extended edition for more footage, not a special addition for all the extras which I, nor many people I know, watch either) is worth it.

Not when you compare to the extra time added to the LOTR's trilogy.
post #21 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
13 more minutes of dwarves running across New Zealand. smile.gif
post #22 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

I'll wait until 2018 and get the 4k release to play on my new $1000 4k projector.

That's probably going to look awful. tongue.gif
post #23 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Not buying till they release all 5, extended, without the black crush green tint...nope, nope, nope, nope, nope
post #24 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

+1 This was way too long already, this film needs a new tighter editing, not elongating it.

Same, I loved the original trilogy but this movie really dragged on for the first viewing. It felt like the movie could have been half as long for the amount of actual content in the movie.
post #25 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Length is not so bad when it keeps your attention (and I don't just mean action) with interesting and wondrous stuff, but this was like King Kong: a case of bloated, self-indulgent excess.

I hated the creature and dwarf make up effects in this one... goblins are supposed to be scary with gaping mouths full of big, wicked teeth and razor tipped claws, not just bulbous and disgusting. It was like Jackson was just going for weird rather than dangerous. The orcs I could handle, because it was the same design as LOTR.
Osirus23 and freemeat like this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #26 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 126
They should offer the 48hz as an option for UltraViolet streaming, for those of us who have no download limit.

I'll wait for the box set in 300GB bluray on 4K HFR 3D, even if that makes it two discs. My girlfriend bought me this already, it's fine to have a beer refill + bathroom break while switching discs halfway (though I admit it's not optimal). But I'd only ever buy it again to see it as it was in the IMAX, it was amazing. I love HFR!
post #27 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand the difference between MSRP and street.

The greed I'm referring to is milking the customers to have to buy anther version for which it should have just been included in the first one.

I don't feel adding 13 minutes (as it's called an extended edition for more footage, not a special addition for all the extras which I, nor many people I know, watch either) is worth it.

Not when you compare to the extra time added to the LOTR's trilogy.

Gotcha. Although, we all did know this was coming...

I agree that they could have brought out the "full" extended edition first and skipped all of this multiple version business, however it is driven by us, the consumers. Most people want to get the movie ASAP and they don't care about extended editions. Others know that a new version is coming, and is willing to wait until it does because it is somehow more "special", and then there are those that make the impulse buy of the regular, and then want the extended too and re-buy thus the proverbial "double-dip."

Good or bad, we have options. Had it been extended from day 1, a ton of people would complain that it is too long already (as seen above in other posts) and that they were "stuck" with the extended version. If they didn't extend it at all, then there would be that group saying "give us more" and they would have been disappointed.

The studio is giving us options here, that isn't a bad thing. Of course, they are making more money by doing so (with those that double-dip), but they are running a business after all.

I guess the other option would be to have the regular AND extended edition in one package, but we all know that they would have had an upcharge for that. $20 for the theatrical version and $20 for the extended edition (your choice if you don't double-dip) or $30 for a single release with both included. Then the studios would really be pulling in the bucks by making everyone pay a 50% upcharge when most of them just want 1 version.

I really do agree with the "spirit" of your comments. Nothing is ideal, and this is NOT LOTR so fragments of 13 minutes sprinkled here and there probably won't add anything at all like it did in LOTR where we gained more insight by seeing key pieces that were cut from the theatrical versions. So maybe this one doesn't matter theatrical vs. extended to justify two versions like you said.
post #28 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Length is not so bad when it keeps your attention (and I don't just mean action) with interesting and wondrous stuff, but this was like King Kong: a case of bloated, self-indulgent excess.

I hated the creature and dwarf make up effects in this one... goblins are supposed to be scary with gaping mouths full of big, wicked teeth and razor tipped claws, not just bulbous and disgusting. It was like Jackson was just going for weird rather than dangerous. The orcs I could handle, because it was the same design as LOTR.

Dan, the comparison to King Kong is 100% on the mark and I wish I would have made it myself! I'm jealous now smile.gif
PcGeek626 and Osirus23 like this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #29 of 55 Old 08-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Liked: 19

So,

they released a "Extended version" when i got the original.! Oh well, i should of waited. :/ lol! Thanks hollywood

Pure Audio = Audio Goodness
post #30 of 55 Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'd pay $55 for the two hour version.
Dave Vaughn and Osirus23 like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page