Avatar 2 Coming December 2016, Sequels One Year Apart - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 2071
James Cameron has all the chips in place to make Avatar into the grandest of franchises. Coinciding with the advent of UHDTV and forthcoming autostereoscopic 3D panels—glasses free, in other words—three highly anticipated sequels to the sci-fi epic are slated to premier each December, starting in 2016. The first Avatar made nearly three billion dollars in all and kick-started a 3D revolution that many feel failed to live up to the potential that the first Avatar promised.
Quote:
"Avatar 2 is slated for release in December 2016, with Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 to follow in December 2017 and December 2018. James Cameron will develop and co-write the scripts for each of the sequels with these new writers, and produce alongside longtime partner Jon Landau." - source: movieweb.com

Things could turn out differently this time around for 3D enthusiasts. With many HDTVs possessing some sort of 3D capability by default, and because at least a couple of companies are preparing to license glasses-free 3D technology to UHDTV makers, the chances are that the new Avatar movies will do well in terms of home viewing in 3D. And, the forthcoming autostereoscopic 3D panels are not just from the pricey famous Japanese and South Korean brands; expect to see some sort of relatively affordable autostereoscopic UHDTV panels for sale—likely later this year.

With a larger library of 3D titles, viable glasses-free 3D right around the corner, and the promise of at least three years worth of Avatar madness, could it be that 3D is primed for a comeback, better than ever? If anyone can make it happen, James Cameron is that person.

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Why does 3D need to have a comeback at all?

4k content is where the industry's is headed now. cool.gif

Looking forward to see how the story progress's. Three more films in fairly quick succession sounds exciting, but will James Cameron be able to produce comparable films to the original thats the real question?
vilfrard likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 173
It doesn't need to have a comeback. It's here now.
post #4 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 88
so 3D will be around till at least 2018 thanks to James Cameron
vilfrard likes this.
post #5 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
This is simultaneously the most ridiculous and most exciting thing I've heard coming from the movie industry in a while.

Did he confirm 48 or 60fps?
vilfrard and mhobart like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #6 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Seriously, 7 years until the sequel!?!?!?!?!?!

I know a good work of art takes time and he's been busy, but still...
vilfrard and nith like this.
post #7 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Looking forward for this and by time the 1st one is released for home viewing, I can afford a new 4k pj!
vilfrard and mhobart like this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #8 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This is great news for 3D enthusiasts like me. I purchased a 64 inch F8500 and am loving 3D all over again since the debut Avatar film I went to see 3D for the first time. Avatar is the next Star Wars for our kids, plain and simple. I agree this will bring 3D back from the stalemate we are now in because of poor 3D conversions which have become standard it seems and brings the format down as a whole in my opinion.
post #9 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I'll watch it but not in 3D! Hurry 12/2016!!

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #10 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

Avatar is the next Star Wars for our kids, plain and simple..
I hope not, as that would be a travesty.

I had quite enough of the heavy-handed preaching of this sappy, ridiculous story to have to suffer through a sequel (and I watched it twice, once in 2D followed by 3D, which of course did nothing to improve the content).
post #11 of 42 Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Why does 3D need to have a comeback at all?

4k content is where the industry's is headed now. cool.gif

Looking forward to see how the story progress's. Three more films in fairly quick succession sounds exciting, but will James Cameron be able to produce comparable films to the original that's the real question?

Yeah, it's called Dances With Wolves 2. biggrin.gif

Seriously, Avatar was some of his most derivative screenwriting to date. I even liked True Lies and, god forbid, Titanic better than this one. The two official Terminator films, Aliens, and The Abyss are his best stuff. All sci-fi/action classics.

He should now stick to developing technology (his true love) and directing and leave the writing to others.

3D should die! It's distracting since it's not anything like 3D in real life and is lessening the quality of cinematography. The industry should continue to work on 2D visual quality, bringing back the wall-to-wall giant Cinemascope experience, and continuing advancements in surround sound.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #12 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I like 3D as it is. The glass don't bother me at all. If they can do it without glasses, great, as long as the image quality doesn't suffer.

I don't want to watch 3D all the time, but watching a movie once a month or so is great.
post #13 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I liked Avatar and it was beautifully done in 3D and 2D and I look forward to the sequel's. But let's leave UHDTV out of this PLEASE! It looks just fine without it. I am so tired of hearing about UHDTV or 4K or whatever they want to call it these days....feels like its being shoved down our throats. But that's the way it goes I guess. rolleyes.gif
post #14 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I liked Avatar and it was beautifully done in 3D and 2D and I look forward to the sequel's. But let's leave UHDTV out of this PLEASE! It looks just fine without it. I am so tired of hearing about UHDTV or 4K or whatever they want to call it these days....feels like its being shoved down our throats. But that's the way it goes I guess. rolleyes.gif

It's just a resolution, a pixel count. 2K, 4K, 8K... nothing to get worked up over. James Cameron is going to film Avatar 2 in 4K, at the minimum. UHDTV is capable of full-resolution 1080p/2K passive 3D, which is not possible with today's HDTV standard panels, so UHDTV is critical to being able to watch Avatar and its sequels "as the director intended," even if there is no consumer 4K/UHD format in place when it comes out.

Of course there will be some sort of UHD format available by that time, but the point is that even current 3D Blu-ray demands a panel with a higher pixel count than HD/2K procides, just to display properly using either passive glasses—or autostereoscopically. Not to mention the fact that the 2D version of those movies will look better in UHD.

post #15 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 206
The Avatar sequels main focus is higher framerates (60FPS), 3D and 4K are less important.
post #16 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The Avatar sequels main focus is higher framerates (60FPS), 3D and 4K are less important.

3D is "less important?" Nope, 3D is the main point of Avatar 1,2,3 and 4. Higher frame rates are a technical challenge, mostly one of bandwidth. But, the reason for a higher framerate is to make the 3D look better. Same with using a higher resolution.

post #17 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic 

3D is "less important?" Nope, 3D is the main point of Avatar 1,2,3 and 4. Higher frame rates are a technical challenge, mostly one of bandwidth. But, the reason for a higher framerate is to make the 3D look better. Same with using a higher resolution.

HFR will change the look of cinema dramatically, 4K is an improvement, 3D is just a gimmick cool.gif
post #18 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

HFR will change the look of cinema dramatically, 4K is an improvement, 3D is just a gimmick cool.gif

This recent article in The Verge describes Mr. Cameron's current thinking on 3D.
Quote:
While Cameron doesn't want to stop making 3D movies, he appears to be calling for studios to fully commit to the craft and not tack on the experience as an afterthought.

post #19 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Seriously, Avatar was some of his most derivative screenwriting to date. I even liked True Lies and, god forbid, Titanic better than this one. The two official Terminator films, Aliens, and The Abyss are his best stuff. All sci-fi/action classics

agreed...the writing was terrible...the visuals were gorgeous but the writing felt very basic and uninspired...like he was developing the story around the technology instead of vice versa...he seems more interested in funding his deep sea expeditions and other philanthropic causes these days...his movies are just a way of funding more $$ to those causes...hopefully Avatar 2//3/4 will more then just about pretty visuals, 3D, HFR and whatever other fancy tech catches his eye and more about story and characters

he used to be able to do both...T2, Aliens etc were perfect blends of cutting edge tech and storytelling
post #20 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Things could turn out differently this time around for 3D enthusiasts. With many HDTVs possessing some sort of 3D capability by default, and because at least a couple of companies are preparing to license glasses-free 3D technology to UHDTV makers, the chances are that the new Avatar movies will do well in terms of home viewing in 3D. And, the forthcoming autostereoscopic 3D panels are not just from the pricey famous Japanese and South Korean brands; expect to see some sort of relatively affordable autostereoscopic UHDTV panels for sale—likely later this year.

When do you think we might see autostereoscopic in FPJ's?
post #21 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

agreed...the writing was terrible...the visuals were gorgeous but the writing felt very basic and uninspired...like the was developing the story around the technology instead of vice versa...he seems more interested in funding his deep sea expeditions and other philanthropic causes these days...his movies are just a way of funding more $$ to those causes...hopefully Avatar 2//3/4 will more then just about pretty visuals, 3D, HFR and whatever other fancy tech catches his eye and more about story and characters

he used to be able to do both...T2, Aliens etc were perfect blends of cutting edge tech and storytelling

It's more like he used to be married to Gale Anne Hurd (producer - Aliens), then Kathryn Bigelow (director). I think those two had more to do with the awesomeness of his older movies than many people know.

post #22 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic 

This recent article in The Verge describes Mr. Cameron's current thinking on 3D.
Quote:
While Cameron doesn't want to stop making 3D movies, he appears to be calling for studios to fully commit to the craft and not tack on the experience as an afterthought.
Seems to me that 3D is just the first step, higher framerates is the next step.
Cameron's and Jackson's main goal is to force a motion interpolation-ish (higher framerates) ''look'' upon us. They want the movie experience to be realistic. Realism is more important to them than ''the look'' .

My view is that movie realism will make the experience more real, so watching a decent movie this way would get you a more satisfying experience than the old fasion way (2D 24fps) nevertheless sacrificing the ''movie look '' to reach this goal is not the way to go IMO
post #23 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

It's more like he used to be married to Gale Anne Hurd (producer - Aliens), then Kathryn Bigelow (director). I think those two had more to do with the awesomeness of his older movies than many people know.

So we need to find him a new talented wifey quickly....

Djoel
post #24 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I applaud James Cameron for exploring new technologies and pushing things forward. Just a shame we have to wait so long for the sequel!smile.gif
post #25 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Boy, who cares about his 3D 4K 800FPS CARTOONS.....seriously, I can't watch Avatar as a LIVE action/adventure film.....I felt more in the movie, "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" rolleyes.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #26 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:

Seems to me that 3D is just the first step, higher framerates is the next step.
Cameron's and Jackson's main goal is to force a motion interpolation-ish (higher framerates) ''look'' upon us. They want the movie experience to be realistic. Realism is more important to them than ''the look'' .

My view is that movie realism will make the experience more real, so watching a decent movie this way would get you a more satisfying experience than the old fasion way (2D 24fps) nevertheless sacrificing the ''movie look '' to reach this goal is not the way to go IMO

I'm sure they said the same thing about moving to color from black and white. It's too real!

For what its worth, I didnt particularly care for the hobbit in 48fps...because it didnt look like peter jackson's middle earth to me. It was too significant a break from the previous art style. I'll probably feel the same way about avatar 2-17. But for something where I don't have any preconceived notions about what its "supposed to look like", I'm all for it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #27 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
I saw avatar 1 in scope 3d at amc in rockaway and enjoyed it. The 3d was very good..the sequels will save the 3d box office from doom and force people to buy more 3d blurays.
post #28 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 14
Looking forward to seeing these in 3D IMAX!

post #29 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ugh James Cameron is the next George Lucas, Avatar was a complete rip off of Dances with Wolves, plain and simple, extremely boring moving, only thing its good for is demos due to the visuals, otherwise its crap, plain and simple.
post #30 of 42 Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN 
Boy, who cares about his 3D 4K 800FPS CARTOONS.....seriously, I can't watch Avatar as a LIVE action/adventure film.....I felt more in the movie, "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" rolleyes.gif
Anyone here surprised that Pirana II:''the spawning'' aka Pirana II:''flying killers'' was Camerons directorial debut rolleyes.gif

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

btw Bad Taste is Peter Jackson's first feature..

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page