CNET and Consumer Reports Both Call 55" Samsung OLED HDTV "Best Ever" - AVS Forum
1 2  3 
Latest Industry News > CNET and Consumer Reports Both Call 55" Samsung OLED HDTV "Best Ever"
imagic's Avatar imagic 05:32 PM 08-18-2013
Two popular sources of television reviews agree on one thing: OLED HDTV looks fantastic. In first look reviews from Consumer Reports and CNET, the pricey new curved panel clearly made a positive first impression on the critics.
Quote:
"It's arguably the best all-around TV we've ever tested, with the highest overall picture-quality scores and no major shortcomings—except, perhaps, its steep $9,000 price." - Consumer Reports
Quote:
Simply put, the Samsung KN55S9C produces the best picture I've seen on any TV, ever. Even with the unnecessary and distorting curved screen, I liked its picture better than that of the the ZT60, the Kuro, or anything else I've seen. But yes, I'd like a flat one even better."- CNET

Is OLED the true "Kuro killer," a TV that performs like no other?

Large screen flat panel OLED technology took a long time to come to market; Sony introduced the first commercial OLED TV, the XEL-1, in 2007—but it measured a mere 11 inches diagonal and cost $2,499 at the time. More recently, consumers became familiar with the term OLED thanks to its use in portable devices like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Sony PS Vita.

2013 saw the introduction of two 55 inch OLED HDTVs—one from LG and one from Samsung—both featuring curved screens. LG was first out the gate with the $15,000 55EA9800. Samsung followed up shortly thereafter with the KN55S9C, charging $9000 for 55 curvy inches. Suddenly, there was a price war in the OLED HDTV segment.

I recently attended the U.S. introduction of Samsung's KN55S9C, and I was lucky enough to compare the picture quality of the new OLED HDTVs to some of the latest and greatest LCD UHDTVs, like the Samsung UN65F9000. In that environment, the qualities that make OLED a contender for greatest flat-panel image quality of all time were relatively hard for me to see.

At the U.S. debut of Samsung's curved OLED

Relative degrees of performance are easier to observe in a measurement lab, as they also would be in a darkened home theater—especially after professional calibration. I have yet to experience a large OLED screen in such an environment; but CNET and Consumer Reports both had this opportunity. And the early reports are very positive, it would seem that even the first generation of OLED could very well establish a new reference for picture quality—at least in the HDTV segment. Formal reviews need to be done, shootouts need to go down, but it does seem like the technology is capable of living up to the hype—as long as price is no object and a flat screen is not a requirement.

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Draden1's Avatar Draden1 06:27 PM 08-18-2013
It will be interesting to see if oled hdtv will come down in price fast enough for people to adopt it before uhdtv sets are priced reasonably?
BAMABLUHD's Avatar BAMABLUHD 07:10 PM 08-18-2013
I think that what we're seeing is the official replacement for plasma in about 2 years if they can fix the image retention worries. I watch a lot of ESPN and it's even a little bit ghosted into my screen even though it really isn't a bother.

Katz from CNET said the OLED is even blacker than the Kuro, which basically says it all. I always knew that plasma wouldn't last over LCD, so hopefully this will give me a good option when its time to replace my plasma in 3-4 years.

Glad to see OLED is coming along. A 4K set is going to be absolutely ridiculous with these sets!
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 09:27 PM 08-18-2013
I've always viewed OLED as the replacement for LCD. it'd be nice to get plasma pq with lcd efficiency and 'idiot-proof-ness'.

the more I hear about OLED, the less that seems to be the case, but it still looks like a good mix of plasma and lcd performance. but there just isn't that much 'bad' with plasma to make me want to spend much more for oled. I figure about 20% premium over plasma will be my breaking point.

still, it's nice to FINALLY hear something positive again about OLED. hopefully enough rappers and professional athletes buy these early models so they can develop the tech more and bring it into the realm of affordability before the powers that be completely kill off high end plasmas
kristoffer77's Avatar kristoffer77 03:41 AM 08-19-2013
I just hope they have solved the burn-in problem.
Stu03's Avatar Stu03 04:27 AM 08-19-2013
It's great that OLED is finally here (well it's been here for ages) but seems "finally" here.

Most video fanatics won't even consider a rounded screen and would probably want to wait until OLED U-HD arrives in it's 'proven' flat screen form (second or third generation perhaps? ) regardless if they could financially afford a "bent" OLED screen or not.

I couldn't afford one just now and will be sticking with my KRP until then - but even if i could - i wouldn't even bother at the moment to be honest.
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 04:50 AM 08-19-2013
is image retention an issue with OLED?...I also heard that OLED's lifespan was an issue...other then that it looks stunning...it won't take off until prices drop but damn that is one amazing looking set
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy 05:02 AM 08-19-2013
I'm down for an affordable 65"-70" 4K OLED when I'm ready to replace my VT50. Hopefully they'll be reasonably priced and the motion/lifespan/burn-in issues become ameliorated within the next few years.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne 07:09 AM 08-19-2013
In the olden days - you saw a step up about every 2 years - nowdays, every 3 months - so how many videophiles actually keep their latest, greatest as their Main Set more than 3 years before moving on? (So, do we really worry about the length of the End of Life?)
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 07:49 AM 08-19-2013
First I've heard of image retention in an OLED. I know there's been issues with early breakdown but every technology has it's bumps along the road. I'll definitely hold onto my 60" plasma until I can get a 64"+ at a reasonable price. As I won't go to LCD at all my set's gonna have to hold up until then. I can't wait to actually see a larger set in person. The only set I've ever seen was that small Sony unit released a few years back.
cjvnyc's Avatar cjvnyc 08:06 AM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post

It will be interesting to see if oled hdtv will come down in price fast enough for people to adopt it before uhdtv sets are priced reasonably?

Honestly, the shills can say whatever they want, the curved screen means this particular set is DOA in the marketplace. LG and Samsung certainly know this- they are not even remotely ready for mass production so they deliberately put out this un-buy-able set for their shills to gloss over while they configure for production.
VidPro's Avatar VidPro 08:10 AM 08-19-2013
Iron out that screen flat and get it to the 3K range and I'm probably buying. Right now deep reddish blacks will have to do with my Kuro. smile.gif
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 08:50 AM 08-19-2013
Unless one of my TV breaks, I won't be in the market for a new TV for several years. It's nice that UHD and OLED TVs are becoming available, but the improvement in picture quality isn't enough to replace a perfectly functioning 1080p TV. Hopefully, OLED and UHD will be mainstream by then.
gbaby's Avatar gbaby 09:55 AM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Unless one of my TV breaks, I won't be in the market for a new TV for several years. It's nice that UHD and OLED TVs are becoming available, but the improvement in picture quality isn't enough to replace a perfectly functioning 1080p TV. Hopefully, OLED and UHD will be mainstream by then.

True! wink.gif
sytech's Avatar sytech 09:59 AM 08-19-2013
Seriously. Have you guys forgotten your history? This is LCOS/SXRD all over again. Superior tech for the time, but can not overcome production yields and unstable performance. Only to be done in by improvements in advancements of existing tech. 2K OLED is all but finished with the 4K marketing train that is about to take off, so if you want a modern day Qualia 006, you better grab one of the few thousands units before they close the line. Until there is a huge breakthrough in yields and longevity, these will be ultra low volume displays used by movie studios and the limited professional market. About the only possible bright spot is the 4K OLED printing method being explored by Sony/Panasonic, but it is just stating and we are one again left waiting for the holy grail of displays.
6pence's Avatar 6pence 10:51 AM 08-19-2013
I do think a nice curved panel would work well in my Tesla vs the flat one !
Bukley's Avatar Bukley 11:19 AM 08-19-2013
Always looking forward to the next step in picture quality.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 12:09 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

In the olden days - you saw a step up about every 2 years - nowdays, every 3 months - so how many videophiles actually keep their latest, greatest as their Main Set more than 3 years before moving on? (So, do we really worry about the length of the End of Life?)

yes we do, and here's why. most of us don't outright replace our TV's. for example, when I bought my new plasma this year, my old plasma moved into the living room. and if it wasn't for the fact my living room tv was busted, it would have moved into the bedroom. so it's entirely possible that the f8500 I bought this year, will be in my bathroom or something 20yrs from now. i would say i average about 10yrs out of a tv before it makes its way out the door. i still have 3 TV's in the house that are over 5yrs old and i went on a real buying/upgrading spree this year, haha.

besides, it's ALWAYS better to upgrade because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to. we all know there's good times to buy and bad times to buy, and it sucks if your tv bites the dust at the wrong time. you forced to either pay too much or go without for months. it took me about 5months of searching before I pulled the trigger on my latest purchase, and I definitely would have preferred to wait a couple more months for the zt60's to hit the stores, but i'd already been without a properly functioning tv in the living room for months.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 12:14 PM 08-19-2013
i'm also curious why everybody is hating on the curved screen? the is clearly one of the huge advantages of OLED screens. when they ramp up production and start coming out with 80-90" models it'll be a really nice feature to have imo.
TitusTroy's Avatar TitusTroy 12:19 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i'm also curious why everybody is hating on the curved screen? the is clearly one of the huge advantages of OLED screens. when they ramp up production and start coming out with 80-90" models it'll be a really nice feature to have imo.

the curved screen is great if you're the only one watching but it gets to be an issue in terms of sweet spot for groups of people...watching it from the sides will be a problem
HDPERSON's Avatar HDPERSON 12:30 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the curved screen is great if you're the only one watching but it gets to be an issue in terms of sweet spot for groups of people...watching it from the sides will be a problem
Have you seen it! How many people?
imagic's Avatar imagic 12:43 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

Have you seen it! How many people?

Even if it was larger than 55", the curved screen is good for exactly one person, sitting at a relatively precise distance, exactly centered. For any other circumstance, the curved screen is a minus, not a plus.

In a movie theater, a dozen people can sit in a row and all be relatively centered. With a group of four in a home theater, even an 84" OLED would be a fail, if the screen was curved.That's before getting into the fact that the curve precludes wall-mounting.
Kimeran's Avatar Kimeran 01:23 PM 08-19-2013
I dont get the curved screens personally but I really like the idea of owning an OLED in the future.

What was the lighting evironment like when you saw it? was it more like a demo room or more like a showroom such as Best Buy?

Im curious about it's black levels and such.
classicrecording's Avatar classicrecording 01:49 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

Honestly, the shills can say whatever they want, the curved screen means this particular set is DOA in the marketplace. LG and Samsung certainly know this- they are not even remotely ready for mass production so they deliberately put out this un-buy-able set for their shills to gloss over while they configure for production.

What is their reason for the curved screen?
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 04:07 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I dont get the curved screens personally but I really like the idea of owning an OLED in the future.

What was the lighting evironment like when you saw it? was it more like a demo room or more like a showroom such as Best Buy?

Im curious about it's black levels and such.
Cnet and CR measured the black levels in a darkened room. Rest assured they are as low as you can go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

What is their reason for the curved screen?
LG claims it's to make a fashion statement. rolleyes.gif
steve1971's Avatar steve1971 04:10 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I agree 100% with you Kid.
jtfields's Avatar jtfields 04:20 PM 08-19-2013
It stinks that you can't wall mount them.
Kimeran's Avatar Kimeran 04:58 PM 08-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post

It stinks that you can't wall mount them.

Agreed.

When they come down in price and are flat I may look into getting one. That, however, is a few years out.
Polaris Cipher's Avatar Polaris Cipher 05:42 PM 08-19-2013
I'm really excited they are finally out, but until they are in 80"+ sizes, UHD, flat, and under/around $5,000, they simply aren't something that's in the budget. Obviously that's a few years out, so hopefully by then all the kinks of the tech will be worked out.
1000's Avatar 1000 12:32 AM 08-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris Cipher View Post

I'm really excited they are finally out, but until they are in 80"+ sizes, UHD, flat, and under/around $5,000, they simply aren't something that's in the budget. Obviously that's a few years out, so hopefully by then all the kinks of the tech will be worked out.

Same here. I'm actually a little more flexible on price, but until they are 80" and 4K why bother..

Tags: Oled Tv
1 2  3 

Up
Mobile  Desktop