OLED HDTVs Must Overcome Seven Obstacles—CNET - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
It is late August, which is usually a slow time in the world of HDTV-related news. However, this year the fashionably late television technology known as OLED finally decided to join the party. The timing of OLED's arrival may be awkward—especially with LCD-based UHDTVs already making a splash—but there's plenty to discuss.

Samsung's new 55" curved OLED at its U.S. debut

CNET recently published a helpful summary outlining seven obstacles OLED HDTVs need to overcome in order to achieve mainstream sales success. The sentiments in the piece generally mirror comments made by AVS members in recent news forum posts. In fact, one recent post by JWhip, chronicling his visit to Harrods in London, made it into CNET's article. That account gets a mention in item number three, "they can burn in."
Quote:
"The most extreme is the LG OLED display at U.K. department store Harrods, where according to a post by an AVS Forums member, burn-in appears to have occurred after two months on display." - CNET

JWhip's OLED burn-in example

Taken together, the issues outlined by CNET's article make it clear: OLED HDTV is a technology primarily aimed at well-heeled early adopters. Even among that crowd, issue number four—"there's only one size, 55 inches" makes it a less than ideal option for home theater installations. That, combined the fact the curved panels cannot be wall-mounted—truly limits the appeal of these first-generation sets, even among those who can afford them. 2013's crop of OLED panels are more of a millionaire's ultimate bedroom TV, rather than a home theater enthusiasts dream TV.

It's probably all right that the first customers for these new OLED panels are going to be primarily found in the top 1% of earners, because somebody has to pay for the early development costs of this difficult to produce (see item number five: "OLED is an immature technology"), but ultimately promising television technology.

Will OLED overcome the obstacles that threaten to overwhelm it? Can OLED make the transition to UHD resolution in time to take advantage of the new 4K movie and videogame ecosystem that is rolling out in 2013? Can OLED costs come down fast enough to compete against ever-improving LCD displays? Does the image quality produced by these new panels live up to the hype?
Quote:
"The bottom line is that OLED is essentially a brand-new technology in big-screen TVs, and plenty of questions remain. It has the potential to be the next plasma or LED LCD, but in the meantime we'd tell all but the most avid early adopters to hold off until a few more are answered." - CNET

There are many questions when dealing with a new technology with no proven track record, and CNET's article highlights some of the issues worth considering.

"Like" AVSforum on Facebook

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Which 4K videogame ecosystem that is rolling out in 2013, are you talking about?
The new gen video game consoles PS4 and XBO will not be able to handle in game 4K resolutions. A modern PC with a single core GPU can barely handle these resolutions.
Also to note that 4k video content is a far off thing. Not all directors have moved to 4K resolution cameras yet.
So as far as I see it OLED TVs might have just enough time to compete in the 4k resolution race, provided consumers adopt it of course.
Tank_PD likes this.

post #3 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

Which 4K videogame ecosystem that is rolling out in 2013, are you talking about?
The new gen video game consoles PS4 and XBO will not be able to handle in game 4K resolutions. A modern PC with a single core GPU can barely handle these resolutions.
Also to note that 4k video content is a far off thing. Not all directors have moved to 4K resolution cameras yet.
So as far as I see it OLED TVs might have just enough time to compete in the 4k resolution race, provided consumers adopt it of course.

A far off thing? How's that? 2013 has been a tremendous year for 4K in commercial theaters, and the pipeline is full of movies shot and mastered in 4K. Youtube and other streaming services already support 4K. Sony will offer UHD online delivery of movies—this year, and so will the REDRAY player. Also, upscaling has proved to be more effective than many anticipated, and that includes upscaling the 1080p output from the new consoles.

By the time a 55" OLED UHDTV hits the market, how much do you think a 70" UHD LCD will cost? My guess is... about the same as the sales tax on the UHD OLED. wink.gif

I hope I am wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 798
i'm more intrigued by OLED than UHD when it comes to TV's. UHD wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't attached to LCD's... frown.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
These are the Korean sources for the curvature of these curved sets. Run them through a translator and search for "4200R", "4500", "5000", "5,000" "curve", "curvature" (곡률), or similar terms.

lednews.net
olednet.co.kr
daum.net
insideoptics.com
businesskorea.co.kr
asiae.co.kr

A quote from lednews.net:
Quote:
TV화면의 곡률은 LG전자 제품은 반지름이 5m인 원만큼 휘어진 5,000R이었으나, 삼성전자는 4,500R(실제 측량 수치)로 LG전자보다 더 휘어진 것으로 조사됐다.
and rough translation:
Quote:
The curvature of the TV screen, LG Electronics as a circle of radius 5m 5,000 R curve but, the Samsung 4,500 R (actual measurement value) to be bent more than the LG Electronics was examined.

Other sources:
isuppli.com ("4-meter radius of curvature")
informationdisplay.org (same as above)

woodbusinessportal.com - and example of usage for "R", there are many more of the same kind

This (radius of 4500-5000mm) goes hand in hand with many reports that cite a "15 degree" curve or angle. Google "LG OLED "15 degree"" to find some.

I took some time to calculate the advantage of 55'' (16:9) 5000R display (LG is 5000R) over a flat 55'' (16:9) display.
Check out the attached image.

post #6 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
OLED is the future, but that is seven pretty good reasons to stay away for now. I do want one of these down the road but it must be UHD, flat, not retain images, cost less than an arm and a leg and be bigger than 55"
ATC7 likes this.
post #7 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomoneh View Post

These are the Korean sources for the curvature of these curved sets. Run them through a translator and search for "4200R", "4500", "5000", "5,000" "curve", "curvature" (곡률), or similar terms.

lednews.net
olednet.co.kr
daum.net
insideoptics.com
businesskorea.co.kr
asiae.co.kr

A quote from lednews.net:
and rough translation:
Other sources:
isuppli.com ("4-meter radius of curvature")
informationdisplay.org (same as above)

woodbusinessportal.com - and example of usage for "R", there are many more of the same kind

This (radius of 4500-5000mm) goes hand in hand with many reports that cite a "15 degree" curve or angle. Google "LG OLED "15 degree"" to find some.

I took some time to calculate the advantage of 55'' (16:9) 5000R display (LG is 5000R) over a flat 55'' (16:9) display.
Check out the attached image.

Nice math smile.gif Did you see the pro review that states the curved screen creates distorted images on the Samsung?

http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-kn55s9c/35823374
Exist_To_Resist likes this.
post #8 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Nice math smile.gif Did you see the pro review that states the curved screen creates distorted images on the Samsung?

Thanks. I haven't read it, thanks for the link.
What can I say, the air is full of misinformation and resistance towards this "new thing".
About distortion. Distortion is everywhere, on flat and curved displays. If camera filmed videotaped captured a scene with a 120° horizontal angle and you're watching that same scene on a TV which is occupying 40° angle of your horizontal FOV - distortion will be present (stretching will be visible, scale of the objects won't be 1:1).

Now, the only reason I can think of that they specially mention distortion is that the source material is rectilinear in nature and display is cylindrical (it is not spherical, by the way).
post #9 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What can I say, the air is full of misinformation and resistance towards this "new thing".
About distortion. Distortion is everywhere, on flat and curved displays. If camera filmed videotaped captured a scene with a 120° horizontal angle and you're watching that same scene on a TV which is occupying 40° angle of your horizontal FOV - distortion will be present (stretching will be visible, scale of the objects won't be 1:1).

Now, the only reason I can think of that they specially mention distortion is that the source material is rectilinear in nature and display is cylindrical (it is not spherical, by the way).

Either way as of right now OLED is in it's infancy, and I wouldn't touch it. Too many questions and not enough time for the technology to be proven on a screen this size.
post #10 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Reason #8-
They reflect room environment like a mirror. Who wants to watch TV with your own face in the image?

Reason #9
Reports that over short time, in addition to burn in, they also suffer rapid degradation of color causing an imbalance of true colors. Need to ask what is the usable life of OLED. Does a 2 year old TV look the same purity as a brand new one, or will it be washed out and off balanced?

Don Landis
post #11 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 239
OLED is the future and I am going to very interested to see it grow and I want it to grow and be successful because it will be my next tv and NOT 4K. But for now I will wait until the kinks have been ironed out and it becomes affordable and that may be years down the road but I am happy were I am at right now with my HX850 so I can wait. Good article.
post #12 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Good point that it is a cylindrical projection, but the fact remains that the vast majority of video content is shot with rectilinear lenses, so the end result is the cylindrical projection causes straight lines to look curved.

As an architectural photographer I have almost two decades of experience with clients rejecting cylindrical projections, even if it was the best way to show a wide-angle scene. People are used to parallax distortion, but rendering straight lines as curves just rubs most folks the wrong way.
Don Landis likes this.

post #13 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Reason #8-
They reflect room environment like a mirror. Who wants to watch TV with your own face in the image?

Megan Fox
omz071 likes this.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #14 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 209
+1.

I will be ready to replace my set in about 3 years. Hopefully, in that time, we will learn that the blue subpixel is reliable, burn in is under control, Panasonic can mass print OLED panels and a 70" 4k version is available. Then, I am in. Until then, I will stay with what I have.
post #15 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

A far off thing? How's that? 2013 has been a tremendous year for 4K in commercial theaters, and the pipeline is full of movies shot and mastered in 4K. Youtube and other streaming services already support 4K. Sony will offer UHD online delivery of movies—this year, and so will the REDRAY player. Also, upscaling has proved to be more effective than many anticipated, and that includes upscaling the 1080p output from the new consoles.

By the time a 55" OLED UHDTV hits the market, how much do you think a 70" UHD LCD will cost? My guess is... about the same as the sales tax on the UHD OLED. wink.gif

I hope I am wrong.

Upscaling is still upscaling , just like 1080p TVs upscaled DVDs yet no so many seemed interested.
Truth is most consumers that own UHD sets want to pair it with an UHD source.
A lack of UHD sources in Videogames and TV providers will translate into a lack of sales of UHD sets, which will allow the OLED technology to mature and become affordable.
Also to note that television providers have a lack of bandwidth for 4k signal unless everyone has fiber to their home it's not going to happen, same goes for streaming services such as YouTube, and Netflix.
Just because YouTube says that it will stream 4k content does not mean that most consumers and Internet subscribers have the bandwidth to handle it, and we all know that mass marked adoption is what makes a technology a success.
1080p sources just became mass market adopted with in the last 3-4 years, first commercially available Blu-Ray player was released in 2003.
That's 6 years, trust me that's plenty of time for OLED to mature.

post #16 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's cause it's not curved vertically too tongue.gif

post #17 of 56 Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Reason #8-

Reason #9
Reports that over short time, in addition to burn in, they also suffer rapid degradation of color causing an imbalance of true colors. Need to ask what is the usable life of OLED. Does a 2 year old TV look the same purity as a brand new one, or will it be washed out and off balanced?

reason 9 does seem to be a concern. either frequent 'tune ups' will be needed, or they need to figure out some method of automatically adjusting the color as the different colors degrade at different rates.

reason 8, i don't really agree with. i find the more reflective screens are always superior for me. matte screens are definitely the worst, they suck in the dark and in the light. take a 'shiny' screen and put a light behind your head pointed at the screen and you'll see a spot on the screen where the light is reflected, probably making 10-20% of the screen unwatchable. do the same thing with a matte screen and it spreads that light over half the screen. i tried a matte screen in my bedroom but it only lasted a day because of this. unwatchable with the lights on. and it looked 'veiled' with the lights off.

like many things, screen reflections are a preference. i PREFER shiny screens because they are also much more clear and look fantastic in the dark.

post #18 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Upscaling is still upscaling , just like 1080p TVs upscaled DVDs yet no so many seemed interested.
A lack of UHD sources in Videogames and TV providers will translate into a lack of sales of UHD sets, which will allow the OLED technology to mature and become affordable.
Also to note that television providers have a lack of bandwidth for 4k signal unless everyone has fiber to their home it's not going to happen, same goes for streaming services such as YouTube, and Netflix.
Just because YouTube says that it will stream 4k content does not mean that most consumers and Internet subscribers have the bandwidth to handle it, and we all know that mass marked adoption is what makes a technology a success.
1080p sources just became mass market adopted with in the last 3-4 years, first commercially available Blu-Ray player was released in 2003.

The pace of development is faster than it was when Blu-ray came out.

As for upscaling, the comparison to DVD is not accurate. Interpolation technology has come a long way, since it is processor-dependant. Just think of what a phone, computer and digital camera were like eight years ago. Processing power makes a big difference.

The key is that Blu-ray already looks great on a big screen while DVD does not. I've seen enough examples over the past few months to say that upscaled Blu-ray it is a legitimate upgrade in PQ. It will also serve as a bridge to a saturated UHD ecosystem.

Bandwidth arguments against UHD as disingenuous at best. Adoption and network capacity will grow concurrently. Nobody expects full adoption of UHD by the entire nation, all at once—after all, you do have to buy a new TV/tablet/computer to play it back. 1080p isn't fully adopted, either—DVD still accounts for half of disc sales. And yes, those DVDs are (almost) all being watched on upscaling HDTVs.eek.gif

I'm rooting for OLED, and there's no doubt UHD OLED is on its way to commercial viability—but whether it succeeds is still open for debate. LCD-based UHD has a huge head start and a massive pricing advantage. The amount of time it took OLED to come to market in this limited, oddball, overpriced form-factor is a clear sign that it is not able to compete.

"trust me that's plenty of time for OLED to mature" - Exist_To_Resistrolleyes.gif

It's also plenty of time for OLED to fail and be forgotten like SED and LCOS.

"Remember those silly curved screens they came out with back in 2013?"... "Yeah I remember they cost as much as a car; now you can buy one used on eBay for $150, but who would want one?"
Exist_To_Resist likes this.

post #19 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
once they get blue to last as long as red and green we'll be in like Flynn
post #20 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreXXX View Post

once they get blue to last as long as red and green we'll be in like Flynn

I think manufacturing yields are a more important factor. LG is throwing away about 2/3 of the OLED HDTV panels it fabricates, and Samsung is tossing about half. That's not a happy factory. OLED is so fringe, it barely registers as a blip for either LG or Samsung. The very existence of these TVs is more of a pissing contest between those two TV makers than it is a viable alternative to LED-lit LCD panels. Another issue—LCD panels are improving in quality—rapidly—as well as dropping in price. Large sizes are not an issue, and LCD panels have zero issues with image retention or longevity.

I actually don't care how deep blacks and high contrast and crisp motion resolution are achieved. I think there is a lot of money going towards improving LCD quality. it is my personal opinion that OLED will primarily be used as backlighting on UHD LCD panels, a sort of "ultimate local micro dimming" hybrid. Best of both worlds, IMO.

post #21 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't think manufacturing yields are a more important factor? LG is throwing away 2/3 of the panels it fabricates, and Samsung is tossing about half. That's not a happy factory. OLED is so fringe, it barely registers as a blip for either LG or Samsung. The very existence of these TVs is more of a pissing contest between those two TV makers than it is a viable alternative to LED-lit LCD panels. Another issue—LCD panels are improving in quality—rapidly—as well as dropping in price. Large sizes are not an issue, and LCD panels have zero issues with image retention or longevity.

I actually don't care how deep blacks and high contrast and crisp motion resolution are achieved. I think there is a lot of money going towards improving LCD quality. it is my personal opinion that OLED will primarily be used as backlighting on LCD panels, a sort of "ultimate local micro dimming" hybrid.

Ouch! That's not a happy factory at all. If I had to throw away half of my finished product I'd be out of business. It would not surprise me if OLED never made it as a lasting replacement to plasma. Let me know in two years if these panels still work or if the picture is degraded. Until then this technology is not proven on a display of this size. After researching this more I'm not so sure OLED is the future.
post #22 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

OLED is the future and I am going to very interested to see it grow and I want it to grow and be successful because it will be my next tv and NOT 4K. But for now I will wait until the kinks have been ironed out and it becomes affordable and that may be years down the road but I am happy were I am at right now with my HX850 so I can wait. Good article.

By the time the kinks are ironed out, OLED will likely be 4K too. Sony has a Flat 4K OLED but is not bringing it to market due to the other issues they need to resolve first. Sony is all about being the best, placing less importance on being first and cheapest.

The problem I see with these OLED screens is that from what I have seen from all the manufacturers, OLED appears to be better suited for the smaller screens on phones, tablets and watches, not home theater sized screens. I also see the biggest proponents of OLED home theater screens are those who have not seen it in person but base their enthusiasm on the printed word. I have seen these in person and based on this up close and personal visual, no OLED will be in my Home Theater for quite awhile. The idea of curved today is to present an obvious unique difference from traditional TV screens which were first convex, then flat was all the rage and now OLED with a concave surface. Other than being different, what advantage does it offer. I saw none! It is a marketing gimmick.

fierce_gt- I respect you don't agree but are you basing that on your imagination of what it should look like or what you saw when you were in front of an OLED screen, either flat or curved? I can tell you that the mirror reflection of your face and the room around you is not based on a misplaced spotlight, it is based on diffuse room lighting of both a dark room, Sony demo, and open trade show room lighting for LG, Samsung, etc. For me, it was the biggest shock that changed my whole outlook on OLED. In addition, when I mentioned it to the reps, they stood right there, saw their own image in the screen and then denied this was something that disrupted the picture. Maybe they enjoy and admire looking at themselves in the mirror. I just want to see the TV picture and not my room or face image. While the LCD/LED sets had a small degree of reflection, LG the least and Sharp and Toshiba the most, it was nowhere near as annoying as the OLED mirror surface. All I would like to see is they fix this or I will never buy one. I suppose this mirror reflection could be eliminated by watching in a totally black room, but if I need that they I'll just continue watching on my 110" projector. The idea for me is to have a 65" panel in a lighted room and OLED is too reflective for that.

Don Landis
post #23 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think manufacturing yields are a more important factor. LG is throwing away about 2/3 of the OLED HDTV panels it fabricates, and Samsung is tossing about half. That's not a happy factory. OLED is so fringe, it barely registers as a blip for either LG or Samsung. The very existence of these TVs is more of a pissing contest between those two TV makers than it is a viable alternative to LED-lit LCD panels. Another issue—LCD panels are improving in quality—rapidly—as well as dropping in price. Large sizes are not an issue, and LCD panels have zero issues with image retention or longevity.

I actually don't care how deep blacks and high contrast and crisp motion resolution are achieved. I think there is a lot of money going towards improving LCD quality. it is my personal opinion that OLED will primarily be used as backlighting on UHD LCD panels, a sort of "ultimate local micro dimming" hybrid. Best of both worlds, IMO.

I believe that manufacturing yields will improve as they work on it and this is what will bring the cost to the consumer down so it is competitive with LCD. But, I see OLED technology having a more solid future in smaller screen displays than large HT screens. If the build is easier and all 9 issues are resolved, then OLED will be competitively superior. That's a whole lot of problem solving. Plasma never did make it either.

Another OLED application I saw from Sony is the 27" OLED glasses free 3D workstation monitor for 3D editors. It did resolve the mirror reflection problem and it was clearly superior to a passive display. But, being autostereo, it was optimized for single viewer. I could be in the market for one of these. They showed it at NAB, not CES as it is a Broadcast monitor.

Don Landis
post #24 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

This is the same argument against HDTV from 15 years ago. There's no disadvantage to owning a UHD set over a regular HDTV set, so all things being equal, people will choose the UHD set.

What is really going to happen is manufacturing a UHD set will cost about the same as making a HDTV set, so everyone will make UHD sets. The same thing that happened with HDTV sets and more recently 3D sets.
Quote:

I thought the adoption of h.265 would take care of the size issue. Why does everyone need to have fiber running to their home? It's not enough for say 50 million households to have fiber?
post #25 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I hate to say it, but I'm not convinced OLED is going to make it. It seems like a year ago we were where we are now. LG, Samsung, etc... had new OLED TVs to show off. They were supposed to be in Best Buy by Christmas. They just need to improve on yields and iron out a few flaws. etc... . Has anything changed?
post #26 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I hate to say it, but I'm not convinced OLED is going to make it. It seems like a year ago we were where we are now. LG, Samsung, etc... had new OLED TVs to show off. They were supposed to be in Best Buy by Christmas. They just need to improve on yields and iron out a few flaws. etc... . Has anything changed?

I Googled "Sony Panasonic OLED partnership" and aside from a year-old press release that made a big splash, there's precious little info out there to indicate progress on that front. Suspiciously little, for what was supposed to be the next big thing in TV technology. I love this breathless 14 month old headline from Engadget:
Quote:
"Sony, Panasonic OLED partnership is official, aims for mass production in 2013" - Engadget

Instead, Sony has a LCD-based UHDTV on display in every Best Buy across the country and Panasonic is pushing plasma and scrambling to get its LCD offerings up to par.
comfynumb likes this.

post #27 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Ouch! That's not a happy factory at all. If I had to throw away half of my finished product I'd be out of business. It would not surprise me if OLED never made it as a lasting replacement to plasma. Let me know in two years if these panels still work or if the picture is degraded. Until then this technology is not proven on a display of this size. After researching this more I'm not so sure OLED is the future.
Wow, it was merely 2 months ago that you were chomping at the bit of these imminent released panels. wink.gif

A world of LCD only will be a sh*tty one for videophiles.
post #28 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Wow, it was merely 2 months ago that you were chomping at the bit of these imminent released panels. wink.gif

In my case "seeing is believing" didn't work out the way I expected. But hey, they (OLED HDTVs) exist. Samsung and LG save face. wink.gif

post #29 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I know smile.gif but looking into this further I find OLED has a long way to go, especially in the longevity area. I hope they get it right because I would love to own a UHD OLED as my next panel. I'm really on the fence because I want a bigger panel as mine is a LG 42" 1080 panel. But I can't justify any panel right now, with HDMI 2.0 not out and UHD just getting started. So looks like mine won't make it to the bedroom quite yet.
post #30 of 56 Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
UHD is not imminently needed unless you plan on grabbing an 80" panel and sitting 5 to 6 feet out for full appreciation. Sure there will be more minimal benefits seated further away, but I wouldn't let UHD and HDMI 2.0 hold up your decision when the content available is few and far between. Upgrading to a 65" Panasonic ZT60 plasma (from an ole' 50" Kuro) turned out to be a great decision on my part.
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Oled Tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page