Samsung's Super-Sized Soundbar for 60+ Inch Screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Samsung's AirTrack soundbar series gets a new super-size model, the HW-F850. intended for use with TV screens measuring 60 inches and larger. The sound bar itself is both wider, and much more powerful than the AirTrack HW-F750—the previous top-dog soundbar from the company.

The F850 soundbar features a total of 350W of power and comes with a beefier wireless subwoofer, compared to the F750. Like the F750, the F850 sport vacuum tubes in the preamp stage. With the increased size and improved specs, the probability is high that the price has also gone up, compared to the $799 F750. The company already announced a European launch for the new unit this September—so far no word as to when the new super-size soundbar might show up stateside.
Quote:
"Many soundbars are designed for small or mid-sized TV sets, where price and space are top priorities. Samsung is bucking that trend with its newly unveiled AirTrack HW-F850: its follow-up to the vacuum tube-based F750 is built expressly for 60-inch and larger screens." - Engadget

The new model features Bluetooth as well as NFC (near field communication) connectivity options. It also features the same dual-position design, allowing the unit to sit relatively flat, whether it is wall mounted, or shelf mounted.

I had a chance to demo the HW-F750 a couple times this year, and I was hard-pressed to hear the benefit of the vacuum tubes; but I also felt that the unit was underwhelming because it was underpowered. The HW-F750 system simply didn't sound dynamic enough, given the premium price. Hopefully the HW-F850's upgraded subwoofer and improved amplification makes for a higher-fidelity product, tubes notwithstanding.

"Like" AVSforum on Facebook
tlwiz1 likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Absolutely this piques. I have the 550 and I truly love it. It's a wonderful product, so much better than I imagined it would be. Extraordinary build quality and sound quality. For my 65" TV I would pay more for a bit more L/R separation. The bass is, frankly, fine as is. It's the vocals I need more of. I hope they augment the midrange.
imagic likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 141
For the $750+ you'd spend onon this you could buy a mid-tier stereo (or even 5.1) reciever, a set of bookshelf speakers and a modest powered sub (PSW110 or similar) and get better sound quality for probably less money. Never did understand the appeal of sound bars

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

For the $750+ you'd spend onon this you could buy a mid-tier stereo (or even 5.1) reciever, a set of bookshelf speakers and a modest powered sub (PSW110 or similar) and get better sound quality for probably less money. Never did understand the appeal of sound bars

I haven't seen anyone, save Bose, claim a soundbar/integrated box is cost-effective for quality of sound. They are sold for the minimalist form factor.
imagic and tlwiz1 like this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Soundbars have their place. Our smallish "other" residence is small - the space where the 60" plasma is hung is only 11' from the wall where the pane is hung to the opposite wall. The length of the room is about 13'. This small condo unit wouldn't be suitable for a large receiver/ sound system or a sub-woofer. The JBL soundbar we have is lots better than the rear facing tiny speakers on the panel. Since it's Bluetooth, like most of them, we can play Pandora and other music sources thru it as well.
Obviously, the subject Samsung would be overkill in size, power and price.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page