Pro Audio Technology Announces Massive LFC-24sm Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 979

For those who will settle for nothing less than the ultimate in low-frequency reproduction, Pro Audio Technology's new LFC-24sm subwoofer could be just the ticket. This behemoth tips the scales at 266 pounds and measures a whopping 60.5 x 26 x 21 inches—not the type of sub you can easily hide behind a couch, but buyers of this baby aren't likely to care about that.

The front-ported LFC-24sm utilizes an 88-pound, 24-inch driver, the largest available in the residential market, with a sensitivity of 99 dB/W/m and a maximum output capability of 129.5 dB SPL. Driving the beast is Pro Audio Technology's own Programmable Modular Amplifier, which provides 1000 watts of DSP-optimized power and a suite of in-room performance-calibration controls, including parametric EQ and delay. The frequency response is spec'd at 22-80 Hz (±3 dB).

According to Paul Hales, founder of Pro Audio Technology and a recent guest on the Home Theater Geeks podcast, "At first glance, this may seem like purely a statement product. But in fact, the LFC-24sm design is in direct response to market pressure. Our dealers continuously ask that we push the boundaries of performance as they create ever more lavish home cinemas for affluent clients who demand the very best. The LFC-24sm is capable of energizing the largest of these private cinemas, which often house dozens of seats, with an extraordinary level of visceral power."

So how much for such an impressive bass blaster? Pro Audio Technology does not set a retail price—that's entirely up to its dealers. But I'd wager it ain't cheap, and as they say, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. Still, if you really must know, contact the company through its website.

The LFC-24sm will be demonstrated at the upcoming CEDIA Expo—in a surround system with two of them, no less!—and Mark Henninger and I will be there to check it out, so watch for our coverage right here on AVS.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Follow AVS Forum on Google+

imagic and SocialCapital like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
No frequency response chart, no interest. Danley Soundlabs gives a frequency chart. LilMike gives a frequency chart. Why are these guys giving us the Klipsch treatment on a supposedly very high end subwoofer ?
Aestus and SocialCapital like this.
post #3 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I would love to hear this one!

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #4 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
How can I not "like" that. Man, I can't wait to hear—and see—that monster!

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 387
But only goes down to 22hz?
post #6 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

That's not something I'd classify as "only", -3dB at 22Hz is nothing to scoff at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Agreed. If I ever upgrade from what I have, I want a sub system that can hit single digits with authority.

It will be interesting to see what this costs, but I would bet for the $$$ you could do better, especially if you go the DIY route.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I was expecting a spec'd frequency response from a 24" monster subwoofer to go at least as low as 10 Hz, not 22 Hz.
My pair of SVS cylinder subwoofers are easily capable of reaching 22 Hz with very low THD distortion at 100 dbs and a subwoofer of the size of this beast sporting a 24" driver plus four ports should have next to unmesurable THD distortion with 25 Hz test tone at loudness level of 100 decibels.
Perhaps the manufacturer was too conservative in its estimates ?
Marcos
post #9 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

That's not something I'd classify as "only", -3dB at 22Hz is nothing to scoff at.
But my hsu vtf 3.3 has a driver half that size and does 16hz?
post #10 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

But my hsu vtf 3.3 has a driver half that size and does 16hz?

Driver size is irrelevant, it's displacement that matters. With a ported sub, the tuning frequency determines how low it will go, as is the case with the HSU. Your sub tops out at 108dB at 16Hz, and 121dB overall, but reaching that low requires port tuning. You would need three HSU subs to match the overall peak output of the LFC-24SM (129.5dB)

post #11 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:

Agreed. If I ever upgrade from what I have, I want a sub system that can hit single digits with authority.

It will be interesting to see what this costs, but I would bet for the $$$ you could do better, especially if you go the DIY route.

i agree as well. I wonder if this maker's market is really geared more towards music though, which is what I suspect. Would be nice to have one specifically for us hometheater enthusiasts. I'm sure there will be soon.
post #12 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

i agree as well. I wonder if this maker's market is really geared more towards music though, which is what I suspect. Would be nice to have one specifically for us hometheater enthusiasts. I'm sure there will be soon.

Home theater is the specialty.
Quote:
From the article: "Our dealers continuously ask that we push the boundaries of performance as they create ever more lavish home cinemas for affluent clients who demand the very best. The LFC-24sm is capable of energizing the largest of these private cinemas, which often house dozens of seats, with an extraordinary level of visceral power."

post #13 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Driver size is irrelevant, it's displacement that matters. With a ported sub, the tuning frequency determines how low it will go, as is the case with the HSU. Your sub tops out at 108dB at 16Hz, and 121dB overall, but reaching that low requires port tuning. You would need three HSU subs to match the overall peak output of the LFC-24SM (129.5dB)
Buying 3 vtf 3s would probably still cost less AND give me extension to 16hz, no?
post #14 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Buying 3 vtf 3s would probably still cost less AND give me extension to 16hz, no?

There are some significant advantages to using multiple subwoofers. Without more info it is difficult to speculate which approach would yield the best results.

post #15 of 79 Old 08-30-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 401
Quote:

Quote:

Home theater is the specialty.
Quote:
From the article: "Our dealers continuously ask that we push the boundaries of performance as they create ever more lavish home cinemas for affluent clients who demand the very best. The LFC-24sm is capable of energizing the largest of these private cinemas, which often house dozens of seats, with an extraordinary level of visceral power."

Now that's just funny given the context of what bass heads here demand for far fewer seats. wink.gif
post #16 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Now that's just funny given the context of what bass heads here demand for far fewer seats. wink.gif

I must concur, before I delved into the AVS DIY section I had no idea that reproducing single-digit Hz above reference was a hobby.

That said, the LFC-24SM looks like a highly-efficient design. It surely qualifies as a LLT, and the tuning frequency likely determined how low it can go. 99% of content is 100% covered by that amount of extension.

Don't forget about room gain—I'd guess that sub has usable output well into the teens. I'll have answers in a few weeks, but with a 24" driver there's reason to believe it can outperform quite a few subs.

post #17 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

Yes but three HSU subs will still be cheaper and better, since you can place them properly for smooth bass

My humble Cinema
post #18 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes but three HSU subs will still be cheaper and better, since you can place them properly for smooth bass

The price is not known at this point, so you can't make that statement with full confidence. Same goes for specs—if the stated spec means the lcf-24sm is down 3dB at 22Hz playing at full power, then that's a whole different league of performance. It'll be fun to find out.

Although I find multiple subs are very beneficial (I have four subs) I've also heard some truly great bass coming from a single sub. DSP, room treatments and sheer power can make up for a lot.

Also, my guess is that someone buying a sub like this will likely spring for a pair, at the minimum. Any way you look at it, it's a product for bass lovers. Can you beat it with DIY? Sure. But DIY means you have to design and build the darned thing, and with ported subs that can be a challenge to get just right.

post #19 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

The price is not known at this point, so you can't make that statement with full confidence. Same goes for specs—if the stated spec means the lcf-24sm is down 3dB at 22Hz playing at full power, then that's a whole different league of performance. It'll be fun to find out.

Although I find multiple subs are very beneficial (I have four subs) I've also heard some truly great bass coming from a single sub. DSP, room treatments and sheer power can make up for a lot.

Also, my guess is that someone buying a sub like this will likely spring for a pair, at the minimum. Any way you look at it, it's a product for bass lovers. Can you beat it with DIY? Sure. But DIY means you have to design and build the darned thing, and with ported subs that can be a challenge to get just right.

Chances are you can beat it with other commercial offerings as well though once we see a price. My guess is this sub will be overpriced for the performance you get relative to the competition both commercial and DIY, but we will see when that info hits.

One thing is for sure for me which is I would much rather go multiples of another sub vs this one sub in my room since that is the only way I can get the response I want in this particular room as I need at least one sub in the rear and one up front.

I would also argue that a true bass lover would strive for better extension than this sub can give. Multiple sealed subs for example would have considerably better extension than this ported sub.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 663
4 of those lined up in the front of a big room. With the screen bottom flush with the top of these would look pretty bad ass. It's like a mini theater design.

This won't get the how low can you go guys excited but that's a really small %. This is for someone who wants to fill a really big room with great bass.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #21 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

For those who will settle for nothing less than the ultimate in low-frequency reproduction, Pro Audio Technology's new LFC-24sm subwoofer could be just the ticket. This behemoth tips the scales at 266 pounds and measures a whopping 60.5 x 26 x 21 inches—not the type of sub you can easily hide behind a couch, but buyers of this baby aren't likely to care about that.

The front-ported LFC-24sm utilizes an 88-pound, 24-inch driver, the largest available in the residential market, with a sensitivity of 99 dB/W/m and a maximum output capability of 129.5 dB SPL. Driving the beast is Pro Audio Technology's own Programmable Modular Amplifier, which provides 1000 watts of DSP-optimized power and a suite of in-room performance-calibration controls, including parametric EQ and delay. The frequency response is spec'd at 22-80 Hz (±3 dB).

According to Paul Hales, founder of Pro Audio Technology and a recent guest on the Home Theater Geeks podcast, "At first glance, this may seem like purely a statement product. But in fact, the LFC-24sm design is in direct response to market pressure. Our dealers continuously ask that we push the boundaries of performance as they create ever more lavish home cinemas for affluent clients who demand the very best. The LFC-24sm is capable of energizing the largest of these private cinemas, which often house dozens of seats, with an extraordinary level of visceral power."

So how much for such an impressive bass blaster? Pro Audio Technology does not set a retail price—that's entirely up to its dealers. But I'd wager it ain't cheap, and as they say, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. Still, if you really must know, contact the company through its website.

The LFC-24sm will be demonstrated at the upcoming CEDIA Expo—in a surround system with two of them, no less!—and Mark Henninger and I will be there to check it out, so watch for our coverage right here on AVS.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
Follow AVS Forum on Google+
Does not look like anything special to me, a single 24" woofer in a large heavy cabinet? I would certainly ask how much, because if it is allot of money, nobody is going to buy it. That just me, certainly has got to be heard and measured, before you could really judge it. Thanks, but I will wait for my dual Triax's!

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #22 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Does not look like anything special to me, a single 24" woofer in a large heavy cabinet? I would certainly ask how much, because if it is allot of money, nobody is going to buy it. That just me, certainly has got to be heard and measured, before you could really judge it. Thanks, but I will wait for my dual Triax's!

The box looks exactly as I'd expect for such a product. Hanging out with the DIY crowd will jade you quickly. The real question is what driver is in that box, what are the driver's full specs— the T/S parameters. I'd like to model it.

post #23 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Some people keep comparing manufactured stuff vs DIY. Go ahead DIY, the time spent alone (in experimenting and building) is not worth the money IMO. Say you spend "only" 2 weekends to experiment and build the enclosure. That's already equivalent of $1000 in work hours + parts + materials...and it may or may not work.
VinnyS likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #24 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Some people keep comparing manufactured stuff vs DIY. Go ahead DIY, the time spent alone (in experimenting and building) is not worth the money IMO. Say you spend "only" 2 weekends to experiment and build the enclosure. That's already equivalent of $1000 in work hours + parts + materials...and it may or may not work.

Lots of people wish 4 days work = $1000. Also with subs (and I'm not a DIY guy) to build them, with the proper tools and know how, shouldn't be that much of an experiment.

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #25 of 79 Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM

Liked: 46
I have no doubt this thing probably RIPS. I just find it inexcusable that a product touted by it's maker as being as good as it is, doesn't have documentation to back it up. I want atleast a ground plane frequency response and compression chart.

However, if it can do 129db (In room ? Open air at 1m ?), even under the tuning frequency it may still hit reference levels down at 10hz in room.

I wonder if they're using the new 24" driver from Stereo Integrity or whoever just started building them within the last month or two...
post #26 of 79 Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

As a "industry insider", I can only see your words as colored. Furthermore, your words, strongly indicate you have NEVER built your own sub based upon verified designs. Or, are you spreading FUD to protect your lively current occupation? The effort of making an excellent or ported or sealed sub is fairly easy now. Even speakers are trivial with examples like the DIY sound group. For a $1000 you can get three LCR's that will blow everything out of the water that cost 3-4x as much. With sub-woofers, that price/perf factor is higher. The big caveat with DIY subs is volume though. I further agree that TRUE DIY is definitely tons of hours. But "kitted" DIY is cheap and time friendly. Hell, you could build a full 7.1 system with four subs in two weekend and still have time for beer.

The sub above will be good and beneficial for people that have serious cash flow where their life rate is measured in the in excess of $200/hour . For the rest of the 99%...yeah, there are a lot of attractive options besides the above sub.
its phillip likes this.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #27 of 79 Old 09-01-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Protecting my current occupation? LOL! I don't sell any item. If my client want to DIY, go ahead.

PS: I don't consider DIY kit as true DIY. If I consider kits as DIY then I'm a DIY-er tongue.gif.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #28 of 79 Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

As a "industry insider", I can only see your words as colored. Furthermore, your words, strongly indicate you have NEVER built your own sub based upon verified designs. Or, are you spreading FUD to protect your lively current occupation? The effort of making an excellent or ported or sealed sub is fairly easy now. Even speakers are trivial with examples like the DIY sound group. For a $1000 you can get three LCR's that will blow everything out of the water that cost 3-4x as much. With sub-woofers, that price/perf factor is higher. The big caveat with DIY subs is volume though. I further agree that TRUE DIY is definitely tons of hours. But "kitted" DIY is cheap and time friendly. Hell, you could build a full 7.1 system with four subs in two weekend and still have time for beer.

The sub above will be good and beneficial for people that have serious cash flow where their life rate is measured in the in excess of $200/hour . For the rest of the 99%...yeah, there are a lot of attractive options besides the above sub.

That strikes me as exaggeration, based on my experiences with DIY speakers. SEOS-based builds do sound decent (I've heard several) and high-efficiency speakers are nice for home theater. To claim anything more is disingenuous, there are many great speakers out there that do not cost that much at all.
David Susilo likes this.

post #29 of 79 Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This thread needs freq response charts and a price. Until then it's a black box that may or may not perform well... And may or may not be good value.

...just my $.02 - GST included.
post #30 of 79 Old 09-01-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post

This thread needs freq response charts and a price. Until then it's a black box that may or may not perform well... And may or may not be good value.
Yup
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page